Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 White Bass Run is Outdoors

55,132 Views | 240 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wolf2011
tjkmartin14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
College kid looking to get a morning worth of fishing in before classes on certain days. Never fished white bass before, looking to go down to Somerville as Ive heard thats a hot spot. Any tips or tricks for a newbie? Are the spawning soon or is it still too early?
AlexAggie
AG
Skunked at the steps this morning. Water temp is 53 in the river....still a little chilly
SanAntoneAg
AG
Lots of good Somerville-related info in this thread.
JILAS-79AG
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

Headed out to fish with River Ridge in the morning - hope the weather hold off a few hours......
Let me know how you do. My son ('13 Ag) and I are fishing with Tom on March 9. This is our 5+- year at River Ridge. Biggest WB and consistent every year. We usually limit out in 1-2 hours. Check out pictures on website http://riverridgetx.com/sabineriver/ or on their facebook page. I HIGHLY recommend River Ridge!
We drive in night before fishing so do Package with Lodging & Meals: $375.00 per day for 2 ($100 for each additional person). Includes: lodging, breakfast, sack lunch, guided trip, cleaning of fish
http://riverridgetx.com/sabineriver/guide-services
allMondjoy
Ditto for Riverridge! Our annual date is March 3rd.
Our group of 6 retired coaches meet up each year for last 6 years and seem to always limit out in two guide boats.
K_P
AG
Speaking of sorry to hear y'all didn't get into them but sounds like you had fun.

After my experience I think it's very hit or miss dependent on where the fish are in the creek (vs time of day or other variables). Next time I go, I won't stay in the same hole for more than a couple dozen casts.

Others thoughts on this?
A.G.S.
AG
K_P said:

After my experience I think it's very hit or miss dependent on where the fish are in the creek (vs time of day or other variables). Next time I go, I won't stay in the same hole for more than a couple dozen casts.
That's generally my thought process with creek fishing.

I may try a couple different lures just to make sure I'm throwing something that they actually wanna chase, but if I don't get anything after 20-25 casts I assume they aren't hunting in that area anyway. If i'm running roostertails i'll let a color ride for a bit longer, but that's just cause I'm too lazy to keep re-tying lures on. If I'm runnnig jig heads I'll swap out grub colors a lot quicker.

Ya may spend more time walking than casting, but that's better than sitting on a hole that doesn't have anything in it.
AgTech88
AG
River Ridge Report - We slayed 'em. 10 minute boat ride up Sabine then turned up a "creek" - if you didn't know the spot you would think it was just some flooded timber. 5 minutes weaving through the trees then tied up/anchored lined up with another River Ridge boat. Guide pointed at 2 big trees that were within 2' of the shore, maybe a 20 yard cast. Told us to hit the tree trunks with our jig and let it drop for a few seconds and reel slow.

We got set up around 7am and the first 30-45 minutes were a little slow, maybe caught 4 or 5 between the 2 boats. Sun peaked out around 8 and it was on! My buddy and I had our 50 before 9. Almost all were big females so the "run" is definitely in full force at least on the Sabine. Had multiple times we would cast at the same time and our jigs would hit within an inch of each other, and almost immediately we would both hit.

The other boat was a little slower as the guys had a little trouble with the tight casting window - getting caught up in the trees or missing the spots. Our guide told us to keep fishing (catch and release) because the activity would keep the fish stirred up and feeding. Had never heard that before but we didn't argue! Probably caught and released another 30 before the other boat hit their limit. I started screwing around with different jig colors etc. and even tied on a double rig. Caught 2 fish at the same time Twice! It was unreal. Guide said that the water at the base of our target trees was 10'-12' deep and in/at the edge of the creek channel. Obviously the fish liked the spot!

I have to be honest that I am always a little skeptical about using a fishing guide in general, and especially for something like white bass. Too many times being told "Man we killed 'em yesterday" BS. Was well worth it and will book again for sure. We were having so much fun we didn't hardly notice getting rained on a little.

River Ridge is a class operation. The guides were great and had done their scouting and knew the spots. They even did a first class job cleaning the fish - good clean fillets and then double rinsed them before bagging. First time ever I didn't feel like I needed to rework/rewash them when I got home.
JILAS-79AG
JILAS-79AG
AG
WOW! Sounds like fun & GREAT "catching"!! River Ridge comes thru as usual!! Thanks for prompt reply! Hope my son & I have same "catching" success on March 9!
JILAS-79AG
AG
Below is from Jane (owner) at River Ridge

As far as River Ridge we are open. Have been since January 1. We are running three boats with guides. We have limited every trip so far. We started fishing Feb 8. The river has been up, it has been down, and it is up again. We are still catching fish. We are catching some really big females. I do have some pics on my website. I finally got them loaded up yesterday.
We have some openings for cabins and lots of rv spots. Our ramp is open. Right now we are launching at our high water ramp which is nice because the river was up three months. When it came down there is a 2 in mud layer thru the whole bottom. Ramp is fine. Parking area is muddy. Much cleaner at high water ramp.
Tight lines. See you on the river. Cherish each day.
www.riverridgetx.com

jane
DRG06ag
AG
Any updates on the Nueces?
Mule_lx
AG
Anyone been to the steps since the last report on 2/25?
JILAS-79AG
AG
Went to Newmans Bottom yesterday. Arrived ~7am & ~10 vehicles already there. Fished multiple spots while walking 1-2 miles upstream. Several people limits or close by late morning and departed. One person caught & released 30 by 11am (freezer full so not keeping any). I had 21 keepers (11"-15") and friend had 17 keepers. Each of us had 2-5 throw backs. I got more crowded throughout the day. We left ~2pm to clean. ~15 vehicles there when we left.
K_P
AG
Any reports from north east Texas ? Headed to the mt pleasant area next weekend
AlexAggie
AG
Mule...did you go to the steps this weekend ?
WestTexasAg
AG
20 degrees on the high plains today. Guess it will be a few more weeks for us.
Badace52
AG
I would suspect the run will take off next week about two days after we get back into the 70's. Everything seems to be waiting on this coming cold snap.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mule_lx
AG
Alex,

No, strep wife and kid this weekend. I may try to head that way next weekend. I did organize my fishing stuff and tied a bunch of clousers so I'm ready to go.
AG
Have had plans for a couple of weeks to go to the Yegua tomorrow. Guessing this cold will kill my prospects. Correct? Thanks for all the good info on here.
Scotty88
AG
How about Lake Buchanan?
Mule_lx
AG
4040, in my notes from the white bass class at Living Waters from some years ago, I wrote 50+ degree water, 55+ best.
AG
Thanks Mule_Ix. Ended up not going today. Might try again.
JILAS-79AG
AG
allMondjoy said:

Ditto for Riverridge! Our annual date is March 3rd.
Our group of 6 retired coaches meet up each year for last 6 years and seem to always limit out in two guide boats.
How wsa fishing ("catching") at River Ridge on March 3?
Badace52
AG
Gonna try the steps again tomorrow. I'll keep y'all posted.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
K_P
AG
Anybody fishing up around Mt. Pleasant?

I've never fished for white bass up there. Visiting a busy on Lake Bob Sandlin this weekend
AlexAggie
AG
Good luck at the steps...think I might go Friday morning
allMondjoy
March 3rd. Fished RiverRidge - 2 boats (6 fisherman),
150 white bass caught by 9am. 1 boat March 5th. Caught 48 white bass by 8:30. Had to leave them biting to get back home.
allMondjoy
Correction. Fished March 4 (150 caught),
48 caught March 5. (two fisherman, 1 boat)
Badace52
AG
Very slow at the steps today. I spent 5 hours there (10 to 3PM) one fish to show for it. Talked to four other people who caught one fish each and saw one guy fly fishing across from me in the river haul in 5 in about three hours but only four of those were keepers.

Talking to other people the fishing has stayed pretty slow there minus a few "good days" of catching as many as 15 keepers in 3-4 hours. Several people getting skunked. They don't seem to have run

For the pics or it didn't happen crowd:
CM
Mule_lx
AG
Thanks for the update. I'm going to try the next day the weather is good. It still seems a bit early for the run.
AlexAggie
AG
I'm headed to the steps tomorrow...I'll report as well
SanAntoneAg
AG
Thanks for the report.

Early until 10 and from 3 to dark may have been better. Those clear water fish tend to feed early and late.
Badace52
AG
Yeah... yeah... But seriously, the other fishermen I talked to said they had been having more luck in the afternoons once the water warmed up a little and said a few people have been doing well at night. I had to get home for my oldest son's 5th birthday celebration.
CM
AlexAggie
AG
Went to the steps this morning. Caught an nice catfish, but that's all. Talked to a guy that said that yesterday was much better than today. Fish should be up in the river any day now.......

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.