Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 White Bass Run is Outdoors

54,081 Views | 240 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wolf2011
AgTech88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New year, figured we needed a new thread....

Anybody having any luck yet? We usually go to the Angelina around Nac and usually around the Super Bowl is when we start trying. Conventional wisdom says when or the Dogwoods start blooming........
PFG
AG
This is one of the Texas outdoor experiences I've never done. Would love to hit a river/creek and reel some up.

Are there any resources to know what water tributaries have a white bass run? I'm in the hill country. Don't mind driving to give it a try this spring.
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
FIDO*98*
AG
Nueces River by Kayak is usually the first to catch fire

A.G.S.
AG
Don't know if I'll be able to wet a line this year, but I can't wait to see what barnes catches.
highvelocity
AG
Does anyone fish Richland chambers? New to the area this year and looking for advice on where to find fish. Thanks!
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
scottimus
AG
What kinda "bait" should we use?
CharlieBrown17
AG
scottimus said:

Minnows, small jigs, topwaters
MouthBQ98
AG
Dang, those are some porker whites, too.
BurrOak
AG
Middle and South Bosque above Lake Waco has been my go-to spot the last few years. Haven't heard any reports yet.
ought1ag
AG
99 Boat ramp at choke was full of boats chasing whites this past Thursday.......only guy we talked to said they had caught 15
SanAntoneAg
AG
Guad above Canyon, Colorado above Buchanan, Pedernales going into Travis to name a few.

Oh and the San Gabriel/Georgetown, Yegua/Somerville, etc.
aggiepublius
AG
scottimus said:

Also had luck with rooster tail with a jig dropper. Caught a double at least once during the run in past years.

Fly wise - a deceiver style fly that is white and chartreuse is my go to on white bass runs. Ben Tedrick who was involved in the Brazos Valley Fly Fishers has some good videos on a couple of really effective flies.

FCBlitz
Lake Somerville ? Where do they run there?
SanAntoneAg
AG
Up Yegua Creek
AgsMnn
AG
highvelocity said:

Does anyone fish Richland chambers? New to the area this year and looking for advice on where to find fish. Thanks!

Before moving further away, we would go up there in middle summer and get them on the lake.

Sometimes it looked like it was raining around the boat they would be so thick. That's when it is fun.

Best part was throwing the biggest dang top water you had in your box and pull it in as fast as you could. Sometimes you would get 2 and if you had 3 treble hooks you would get 3.

SanAntoneAg
AG
Small, sparsely tied beadhead chain Clousers in white/chartreuse are pretty effective.
AgsMnn
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Up Yegua Creek

The Yegua has been flooding a lot lately. Not sure if that has any impact or not.
highvelocity
AG
awesome! the house is right on a creek that feeds into the lake so hopefully they'll come up and there and we wont even have to take out the boat
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
PFG
AG
Thanks. Looks like with this years plentiful water, I need to be putting in at 311 and floating down to Rebecca creek, looking for whites in the pools bellow Miller falls, then down to rust falls.
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
SquirrellyDan
AG
LiveOak said:

Thanks. Looks like with this years plentiful water, I need to be putting in at 311 and floating down to Rebecca creek, looking for whites in the pools bellow Miller falls, then down to rust falls.
From what I understand, most of the good white bass fishing is below Rebecca Creek Rd, so you're probably better off putting in there. Disclaimer: I went I few times last year and only had luck once, but my timing was probably off.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Correct. I remember one spring when the Guad was real high we were catching them from the bank at Rebecca Creek Road/Crossing.

Most years, they don't run upriver to the Crossing.

Best bet is to launch at Cranes Mill and troll your way upriver or lainch at Boat Ramp 11 (aka Rebecca Creek Ramp). Keep in mind that Ramp 11 is steep and some folks may require 4WD depending upon the size of their boat.
AgsMnn
AG
highvelocity said:

awesome! the house is right on a creek that feeds into the lake so hopefully they'll come up and there and we wont even have to take out the boat

Chasing them in the summer on a boat is a blast.

Do you rent out the house during the summer by chance? Would love to get the kids up there for some chasing action.
highvelocity
AG
we dont, its my uncles primary residence. working on getting another place around the lake though so if that changes, i'll give you a shout!
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
TexasAg2017
AG
Can't wait to get after them on the San Jacinto. Need to practice my fly casting asap
PFG
AG
You live in the area? Comal Co? Always looking for someone else that likes to fish the river.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Yep, I'm in Comal County. Let me know, I'm always looking for someone to kayak with. I spend a lot of time trout fishing this time of year just below Canyon lake. I have a fly rod, but I'm no good with it so I usually just take my spinning rod and smile at all the pissed off fly fishers as they float by.
jimmo
i was thinking the same... in fact, was wondering if they weren't hybrids
cashag95
AG
I used to catch them way up the Leon River at Mother Neff State Park, but I understand they aren't allowing you to fish there due to river conditions, which I assume has to do with all the rain lately. What a blast though when they are biting!
SanAntoneAg
AG
The Nueces and Frio have magnum whites. No hybrids in Lake Corpus Christi.
BurrOak
AG
cashag95 said:

I used to catch them way up the Leon River at Mother Neff State Park, but I understand they aren't allowing you to fish there due to river conditions, which I assume has to do with all the rain lately. What a blast though when they are biting!
That entire section of the park along the river bottom is closed and has been for several years now. There was a logjam at the bridge that caused lots of flooding/damage to that section of the park. They finally got the logjam removed, but there's no timeframe for when that area will open back up. There will need to be lots of work ($$$) done to get it back up and running.

Having said that, you can still park on the side of the road and fish at the bridge.
Drip99
AG
PrimeTime09 said:

Yep, I'm in Comal County. Let me know, I'm always looking for someone to kayak with. I spend a lot of time trout fishing this time of year just below Canyon lake. I have a fly rod, but I'm no good with it so I usually just take my spinning rod and smile at all the pissed off fly fishers as they float by.

You sound just like me. I mostly kayak fish but like to hit up trout on the guad in winter. I'm thinking about trying riemers ranch this Friday now that there's water and go up river for whites.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Not to discourage you or a planned fishing outing but it's a bit early to get them at Reimers.
Drip99
AG
Guess it will be a black bass outing then
tamc93
AG
Following for the tails.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
WestTexasAg
AG
Any decent options in West Texas?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.