Sponsored by

2019 White Bass Run is Outdoors

54,148 Views | 240 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wolf2011
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
A.G.S.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Hit my limit today at Irwin.. Catching them on a little green and yellow rooster tail spinner.
Weekend plans fell through, so I am gonna try and sneak out there on Sunday. Need to run by wally-world and snag some more tackle, all I got left after last year is some white/red rooster tails.

Any hybrids up the creek yet? Or is it all whites?
Lonestar-aught-six
Any reports from Newman's Bottom?
A.G.S.
AG
Lonestar-aught-six said:

Any reports from Newman's Bottom?
I've been keeping an eye on the TFF thread about it. Was hot off and on between Newmans and Irwin apparently. May be slow coming up with the rain and cold front though.

Planning on heading out Sunday morning with rubber boots cause I imagine the walk to the bridge at Newmans is still gonna be boggy.

ETA to thread here
AgTech88
AG
Where do you launch for Bedias creek? The FM 247 Bridge or somewhere closer to the Trinity?
Lonestar-aught-six
I think I'm going to try it today before it gets cold.
A.G.S.
AG
Lonestar-aught-six said:

I think I'm going to try it today before it gets cold.
Let us know how it looks!
AgGrad99
AG
Anyone check out the Pedernales recently?

Seems early, but I thought I'd ask....
Post removed:
by user
Lonestar-aught-six
Didn't get to go yesterday but going to try again on Friday.
AGeng25
AG
I'm going to brave the cold this afternoon and head over to Irwin bridge to fish the Yegua. I'll likely walk downstream from Irwin. Will report back.
Greeze06
AG
Anything around Lake Limestone? Heading there this weekend.
AGeng25
AG
AGeng25 said:

I'm going to brave the cold this afternoon and head over to Irwin bridge to fish the Yegua. I'll likely walk downstream from Irwin. Will report back.
Quite a few folks there despite the cold. Most had big stringers. I caught a dozen in two hours, almost half out of one hole. I used red and chartreuse soft plastic jigs.

I saw guys who had limited out leaving when I got there -- they had been there since 9am for 5-6 hours. The game warden confirmed that 7-11am is usually prime time and that you needed to walk "a good ways" down from Irwin bridge. I walked probably 0.5-0.75 miles and that's when I hit the good hole. Would have walked more but wanted to spend more time fishing rather than walking.

One other guy caught ~20 in ~3 hours -- he said he was just jigging a lime green tail/dark head jig in swift water.

Hopefully the fish stay around after the front.
DUman08
AG
Boat hooked up now headed to creeks of Trinity will get a report back later on.
DUman08
AG
Got on the water around 9am this morning after some breakfast and some hot coffee. Jeeze it was cold but fishing was good had Uncle and his buddy with me we ended up crappie fishing managed 45 keepers and couple whitebass that choked a jig. Caught quiet a bit of whitebass and even caught some cats on jigs. Saw quiet a few people with close to limits on whitebass.
Lonestar-aught-six
Went to Newman's Bottom today at around 11 am. Caught 6 with two throwbacks before the bite shutdown. Everyone that got there before me had decent stringers. Going back Friday morning.
PelicanStation
AG
Houston! Where to fish in Houston!?! Is it a bad idea to jump in the "bayous" with my kayak to find fish... kidding about the bayous.
AggieArcher17
AG
I dont know about whites in the bayous but the carp are a blast!
AgTech88
AG
Anyone hit the Angelina in Nacodoches? 2 weeks ago it was super high - couldn't get to tram etc. Before I make the drive I would like to know if water level is down to normal levels and they have made it up there......
Tx95Ag
AG
Looks like I'm heading over to Newman's Bottom or Irwin Bridge in the morning. Any word on which one is better right now and which way to walk, upstream or downstream?
Aggieangler93
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Not an update but historically it's still early for up that way. I've fished at Circleville late February over the years and that's usually when it's just getting started.
I've heard about folks fishing at Circleville, but never figured out where. Do you just park at the bridge there that crosses the creek, and then walk down the side of the abutment and fish?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
hopeandrealchange
I launched on Somerville this morning about 10am.
Ran up yegua creek several miles. Caught a limit of Sand Bass in about three hours.
The water is clearer than I have seen it in years.
patters10
AG
I fished Newman's today from 11-2 and did really well. I played C&R and at one point caught 14 in a row with some solid 14-15inchers.

The best bite was from 12-1, but I saw lots of full stringers coming out when I was walking in. I did best at pinch points upriver that had some brush and grass along the bank.
JFrench
AG
Spring and cypress creek. Google park launch sites. don't know how strict they enforce it but youre supposed to register and can't pull out from launching spot.

If you're looking for in/out from same spot try peach creek from lake Houston wilderness park. Caught about 20 males half mile from launch back in late November.

Herman little pond off cypress. I went to few Sat ago for trout. Went down to creek for 10 mins and caught some males. Couple guys further down had 10 or so on stringer. Went back Sunday and caught one big female. Gullies connect in both directions from that park and doubtful you can make it back up if you pass one.
SanAntoneAg
AG
There is an area on 347 called The Steps. There is parking on the side of the road with a series of steps built into the ground that go down to the river. You'll usually see several vehicles parked there.

It's been years but I want to say that I once parked at the bridge you mentioned and walked down below it and did well.

I highly recommend waders for fishing this area.
Aggieangler93
AG
I've fished the steps one year long ago. I need to take my son.
Post removed:
by user
SanAntoneAg
AG
Barring runoff, the San Gabriel is clear and the whites can be finicky. Light line and simple, subtle baits work best. A small beadhead chain clouser in white/chartreuse works well on a fly rod, stripped back against the current through the deeper holes. With spinning gear, 4 lb. test with a 1/32 oz crappie jig or curlytail grub in white, chartreuse or yellow is a good choice.
Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks for the info. I am going to try and get him out there soon.
Tx95Ag
AG
Went to Newmans today. Caught 5 in 4 hours. It was pretty slow.
AgTech88
AG
Headed to the Angelina on Friday. Hope weather holds and the river is at normal levels......
K_P
AG
Caught 20 about 3/4 mile down from Irwin bridge yesterday on live minnows. They really turned on at like 10:30 after most people had left frustrated.

K_P
AG
Did the pic work?? I'm not good at this
Badace52
AG
Dogwoods blooming in Georgetown so I went down to "The Steps". The bass were holding up in still pools near the lake. Not really running and being very picky with bait. A few people were catching decent numbers on fly rods, but they were almost all undersized and appeared to be males with how thin they were. No one was catching limits. I was with my 5 year old son so we were only able to fish a couple hours in the AM. They may have "turned it on" later, but I wouldn't know.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.