Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 White Bass Run is Outdoors

54,352 Views | 240 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wolf2011
buddybee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trinity River and Lake Livingston are under Texas Parks and Texas Health Department Warning not to eat more than three servings of 8 ounces of White Bass per month. Large amount of PCBs, Mercury found in River and Lake. Here it is from site.

Northeast/Southeast Texas
NEW: Lake Livingston and Trinity River from US Highway 287 to US 90. Affected waters are in Anderson, Freestone, Houston, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Polk, San Jacinto, Trinity and Walker counties.
Chemical of Concernioxins and PCBs
  • Persons should not consume any species of gar from these waters.
  • Adults should limit consumption of certain fish species as indicated below. Women of childbearing age and children under 12 should not consume the indicated fishes from these waters.
    • Blue and flathead catfish: no more than one 8-ounce serving per month.
    • Smallmouth buffalo: no more than one 8-ounce serving per month.
    • Freshwater drum: no more than two 8-ounce servings per month.
  • For white bass and striped bass, adults are advised to limit consumption to three 8-ounce servings per month. Women of childbearing age and children under 12 should consume no more than one 8-ounce serving per month.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/general-rules-regulations/fish-consumption-bans-and-advisories
rancher1953
Heard that Texas Health Dept. is strongly considering closure of Trinity River and Lake Livingston due to extremely high levels of pollutants in the fish. I guess I will be going else where to fish this white bass season. I will not take any chances on my health.
allMondjoy
Damn, those fish must glow in the dark!
MouthBQ98
AG
Where is it all coming from?! DFW? Old paper mills?
buddybee
From what I reading it is coming from the DFW area and some other areas along the way. As Rancher said, looks like I will be finding another place to fish for white bass this season. I value my health.
AggieArcher17
AG
Is it just a concern if you eat them? I like to catch them and do on Livingston regularly but never have consumed one
K_P
AG
yeah - you have to eat it to get sick. typically you have to eat a lot over time.
Post removed:
by user
Greeze06
AG
Any creeks tall fish near Willis/Waverly?
SanAntoneAg
AG
Oh by the way, the answer to the question that you removed is no.
Gig 'em! '90
Post removed:
by user
AgTech88
AG
Buddy scouted the Angelina in Nac. Water is Very high - way above the makeshift boat ramp at Tram. Kills all bankfishing.
A.G.S.
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Ya.. I googled and figured as much. I'm jealous of people that have access to private property that the Yegua or other creeks run through.

Think I might go to Irwin bridge soon and see if I can hook into some. Hope it's not too crowded.
Got Presidents day off this year, so I'm already planning on taking my son out to Newman's that day.

Sadly every weekend until then is booked solid.
AGeng25
AG
A.G.S. said:

FAT SEXY said:

Ya.. I googled and figured as much. I'm jealous of people that have access to private property that the Yegua or other creeks run through.

Think I might go to Irwin bridge soon and see if I can hook into some. Hope it's not too crowded.
Got Presidents day off this year, so I'm already planning on taking my son out to Newman's that day.

Sadly every weekend until then is booked solid.
Be aware that Newman's bottom will likely be closed due to all the rain and water. You can still walk down to it from the upper parking lot off the county road though...
TxFig
AG
AgsMnn said:

SanAntoneAg said:

Up Yegua Creek

The Yegua has been flooding a lot lately. Not sure if that has any impact or not.

Makes it better
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
Post removed:
by user
AGeng25
AG
FAT SEXY said:

I fished at Irwin today with little luck.. Talked to a TPW officer as I was leaving and he said he seen several guys limit out at Newmans bottom today.
So you're telling me I need to leave work right now and get down to Newmans this afternoon. Very tempting...
Post removed:
by user
K_P
AG
TxFig said:

AgsMnn said:

SanAntoneAg said:

Up Yegua Creek

The Yegua has been flooding a lot lately. Not sure if that has any impact or not.

Makes it better
why is that?
Ragoo
AG
More water
rancher1953
Grandson and I went to Jessie Jones Park Friday. He caught 4 large females in a little over an hour. Man a few yards away said he had about 10 and they just stated biting Thursday. Will be going back during the week with grandkids.
DUman08
AG
rancher1953 said:

Grandson and I went to Jessie Jones Park Friday. He caught 4 large females in a little over an hour. Man a few yards away said he had about 10 and they just stated biting Thursday. Will be going back during the week with grandkids.
Was wondering if MfBarnes was going to come out of hiding for this years white bass run. Texags better get ready because this guy knows his stuff and will have reports coming in from all over the state. Go crawl back under your rock dude.
Greenchiles
AG
highvelocity said:

Does anyone fish Richland chambers? New to the area this year and looking for advice on where to find fish. Thanks!

We have a house on the south side. I've had success on the points where there are sandbars with sandbass. Once you're on them it's a lot of fun!

Some have had success trolling for hybrids in the flats...never have tried nor am I setup for it. A lot of folks fish the bridge for crappie. I believe there's a sandbar near an island I've heard called 'pelican island' where I've seen a lot of boats cluster up on sandbass.
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
Hardest working man in fishing.
highvelocity
AG
thank ya sir, i appreciate the info! my uncle just got a new boat so i'm anxious to get a line wet
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
Greenchiles
AG
Absolutely.

Exciting... what kind of boat? Pick up some silver slabs from the local bait shops. Buy them in bulk--usually ~ten or so rubber-banded together in case you have to break the line.

Not sure which side you're on, but the south side has a new taco place of 416 and hardware/lumber store called spanky's (I think). It's pretty good stuff.
highvelocity
AG

Nothing fancy, he traded in his pontoon finally and got something more versatile
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
ought1ag
AG
he will enjoy that express.........unless he got the built in steps off the back. my dad has them on his and its very similar to backing up a pontoon. other than that its been a great boat.

actual WB report for choke - dad was over there on sat and guessed about 50 boats at the 99 boat ramp. they were parked all along the highway. said it took him about 30 minutes for his turn to pull the boat out. everyone he talked to had about 15-20
Greenchiles
AG
All you need right there. You guys will have a blast!
hopeandrealchange
I fished Bedias creek yesterday with two friends. We launched about 10am and pulled out at 3:00pm.
We ran up to the shoals. Ended up with a mix of small males and large females. Total of 35 fish.
Saw more ducks than I saw all season.
Great day on the water with some wonderful friends.
TxAgPE
AG
Looks like the draw down at LBJ and Marble Falls has been extended through 3/18.

https://www.lcra.org/water/quality/Pages/lake-lowerings.aspx

Not sure how that will affect the run up the Llano.
DUman08
AG
Its happening just south of Bedias Creek. I bet they are solid in Bedias by next week, This front will set them back a couple days.
DrippinAg
S
any updates around Georgetown?
SanAntoneAg
AG
Not an update but historically it's still early for up that way. I've fished at Circleville late February over the years and that's usually when it's just getting started.
hopeandrealchange
I plan on spending several days on the creek next week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.