Outdoors
Sponsored by

2018 White Bass Run is Outdoors

54,254 Views | 261 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by allenhuffman
rancher1953
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just heard a report from Lake Lewisville that fishing up in the creeks Jack Wiggins and his party caught 40 crappie and 25 sand bass.
rancher1953

The run at Nueces is starting here is an example of some happy fisherman
SanAntoneAg
AG
Best to go there during the week, weekends are mayhem.
rancher1953
Last three days are hot, easy limits being caught. Only will get better when females start to show any day now.
Aggieangler93
AG
Any update on Granger?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
BwdAg
AG
Went last weekend from the primitive launch and very slow. No real water flow. Caught 4 before front moved through.
AGeng25
AG
elnaco said:

AgLA06 said:

elnaco said:

Just be aware that if you go upstream of the bridge you're on the WMA and need hunters orange.
To fish outside of deer season?
From what I understand, yes bc they do hog hunts year round on the WMAs.
Not on all the WMAs. Also, hunter's orange is only required if the hunting season at that time allows rifle use. In looking into the Somerville WMA in that area, it seems like hog hunting is only allowed via archery. So perhaps hunter's orange is not required.

Link to that WMA section:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/wma/images/somerville_wma_map.pdf
hopeandrealchange
I fished Bedias creek yesterday. We caught two fish total. I think it is still a week or two to early. Have not seen the redbuds blooming yet.
A.G.S.
AG
Maybe I missed it, but has anybody tried Newmans Bottom yet?

Got Monday off and thinking about heading that way, but I haven't had a chance to drive out there and check it out all year. Wondering if it might be better to hit Nails Creek rather than Yegua.
rancher1953
My good sources for Nails and Newmans tell me there are small scattered males but nothing else. They said it has been hit or miss so far this week. They are thinking next week may kick it off if the weather warms the water just a little.
rather be fishing
AG
Was hoping to see a NW80 post from Central Texas.

Anyone have any reports for the greater Austin area? Need somewhere to go Monday.
magnumtmp
AG
Anyone been on the Sabine north of Toledo bend?
gillom
AG
Bit too early but should be able to find some action at any of the normal spots.
rather be fishing
AG
gillom said:

Bit too early but should be able to find some action at any of the normal spots.

You working Monday?
gillom
AG
Unfortunately yes, was out with the flu most of this week so I've got catching up to do.
A.G.S.
AG
That's disheartening. Monday is probably the only day I'll have free till June.

Still gonna head out there, Think I might have better luck closer to the lake than Newmans?
rancher1953
Sabine River is very slow, hit and miss. So slow that even River Ridge is not posting any photos yet. Spoke with them Wednesday and was told if weather settles down and river clears a litter. The first part of March should be lights out.
DUman08
AG
Headed to some creeks off the river in the morning. Rancher you have report for Palestine/Richland Chambers area?
rancher1953
Just got off the phone with a guide friend at Richland Chambers, he report that water is stained, about 2 ft low, 47-50 degrees. Fishing is slow except for catfish in timber,
gillom
AG
What about the Concho west of Ivie? Thinking about heading to our place out there. It'd be nice to catch some fish too.
rather be fishing
AG
gillom said:

Unfortunately yes, was out with the flu most of this week so I've got catching up to do.

If you change your mind, I'm going to find some water somewhere to chunk flies at.
rancher1953
Trying to find out info for those fishermen in North Texas. Just got a text from a guide I know well on Eagle Mountain Lake, Johnny Stevens, he reported back that water temp. is in the high 40's. Too cold for the white bass to start. He thinks it is going to be later this year due to colder water temp. He will get back when action starts
magnumtmp
AG
rancher1953 said:

Trying to find out info for those fishermen in North Texas. Just got a text from a guide I know well on Eagle Mountain Lake, Johnny Stevens, he reported back that water temp. is in the high 40's. Too cold for the white bass to start. He thinks it is going to be later this year due to colder water temp. He will get back when action starts

Thank you for these updates. I don't know enough or have very many contacts to ask, so it's appreciated and educational.
rancher1953
Was heading out this morning for a run up to the Big Eddie and Bedise Creek. Got up the road a few miles and turned around, weather report is major rains in the east texas area this weekend possible up to 3 inches. If the weather forecast is true this will be a major hit for Sabine and Trinity River fishing. Those in the east texas area please help a fellow out and give us a rain report this weekend. Those of us retired will keep the reports coming from my many contacts who fish like me. Thanks
hopeandrealchange
Caught a limit of males on Bedias creek yesterday. Had to work for them.
rancher1953
Those aggies in north texas that want to learn about white bass and where to go here is a great seminar for you.

Welcome to the "Annual Sandbass Hybrid Striper Run" @ Rowlett Creek @ Lake Ray Hubbard & Hickory Creek @ Lake Lewisville and many more!

Saturday 24th @ 1:30 pm @ Bass Pro Grapevine

Sunday 25th @ 1:30 pm @ Bass Pro Garland

Being put on by local guides whom you can learn from and ask questions.

DUman08
AG
Just got back from creek off trinity river and had good trip. Caught around 40-50 fish not much size most fish were around 9-11in. Tandem rig jigs what they mostly liked. They wanted it slow today but had couple double hooks up. Only had 3 fat females in the bunch. River is muddy stained but has great flow so should get fish in gear to move. Gonna try another creek tomorrow further north to see how water looks. With heavy rain in forcast for our area Wednesday will be couple days before fishing will be back to normal.
rancher1953

Friend had a good day in Newmans Bottom, said the bite was early.
SanAntoneAg
AG
I love my whites about I'll take those sac-a-lait over them any time.
DUman08
AG
Decided to go this morning even though I knew I should get some work done on my boat but glad I went. Took my dad and Today was best bite so far of the year. Caught two man limit in couple hours. Was so foggy that multiple times I would lose my lure in the fog while casting. Talked to multiple boats and seemed everyone was catching today. One guy had a monster hybrid around 7-8lbs. I am gonna get some pictures up of my recent trips but can't figure out Imgur posting from phone.

AG
Taking kids to Livingston St Park first weekend of spring break. Will it be too early to find some around the park in a kayak? Best to paddle north, south, out? Thanks!
rancher1953

We decided to go this morning fished at the mouth of Bedise, we started around 9 and were pulling the boat out at 10:30 limited out, mostly males, it is about to get good if the weather and river will cooperate.
rancher1953
Just spoke with my fellow aggies who live in S.A. and fish a lot. They told me yesterday on the Nueces it was a parking lot with all the boats. However everyone seemed to be catching. He reported the water tempt. is up to the 60's. Females are now showing up.
Mr. Frodo
AG
rancher1953 thanks for your updates. I've got a trip booked with the RiverRIdge crew on 3/3 and looking forward to it. Your reports and the fish pics are getting me fired up. Hopefully the predicted rain will let up and the temps will cooperate such that it will be in ON. What do you fish with and how do you fish it?
DUman08
AG
By then fish should be out of the main lake and all in the creeks. If you haul the kayaks to any of the creeks north of the lake should be good bite around that time. If they are not releasing a lot of water check out below the dam but it can get mighty dangerous down there if you are not careful and aware.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.