Outdoors
Sponsored by

2018 White Bass Run is Outdoors

54,528 Views | 261 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by allenhuffman
elnaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cevans_40 said:

Any areas around Sommerville that are accessible by walking? Wanting to get my 2 young daughters on some fish.
Irwin Bridge is probably the easiest spot to get to. There's decently carved out trails from foot traffic that you can walk along the Yegua. Just be aware that if you go upstream of the bridge you're on the WMA and need hunters orange.
AgLA06
AG
elnaco said:

Just be aware that if you go upstream of the bridge you're on the WMA and need hunters orange.
To fish outside of deer season?
Mule_lx
AG
Rancher, your link isn't working for me.
allMondjoy
No link opening for me either. You teasin' us?
Aggiedad
elnaco
AG
AgLA06 said:

elnaco said:

Just be aware that if you go upstream of the bridge you're on the WMA and need hunters orange.
To fish outside of deer season?
From what I understand, yes bc they do hog hunts year round on the WMAs.
rancher1953
Sorry for the link problems, still trying to get it straight. If you put it in search engine it will come up and go from there. Those in the Tomball area I learned today about Kickerillo Mischer preserve off 249. My understanding it has a few miles of shoreline to walk and fish. I was told you can launch a kayak there also. The address is 20215 Chasewood Dr. according to google. Hope this helps. Make those memories.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
rancher1953 said:

Sorry for the link problems, still trying to get it straight. If you put it in search engine it will come up and go from there. Those in the Tomball area I learned today about Kickerillo Mischer preserve off 249. My understanding it has a few miles of shoreline to walk and fish. I was told you can launch a kayak there also. The address is 20215 Chasewood Dr. according to google. Hope this helps. Make those memories.

I would hope Kickerillo did something nice there because they absolutely destroyed Marshall Lake to build Vintage Park.
AggieArcher17
AG
Tried Spring Creek east of Spring today. Big goose egg. Of course itd help if I had any idea what I was doing! I've always caught them in the spillway at somerville on small chartreuse colored flies, but never fished for them in a creek or river. What should I be looking for?
cevans_40
AG
elnaco said:

cevans_40 said:

Any areas around Sommerville that are accessible by walking? Wanting to get my 2 young daughters on some fish.
Irwin Bridge is probably the easiest spot to get to. There's decently carved out trails from foot traffic that you can walk along the Yegua. Just be aware that if you go upstream of the bridge you're on the WMA and need hunters orange.

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will have some pics to post soon.
Arthur Stilwell
rancher1953 said:

I have yet to catch any fish there. That place was all dried up during the drought 4-5 years ago and then got completely flooded during Harvey.

I did catch a couple of bass and a bowfin in the pond next to the hospital, though.
rancher1953
Good article on where to try around the state.

http://www.texasalloutdoors.com/Outdoor-General/271115/on-the-run
rancher1953
Spoke with a friend over coffee this morning. He went to nails creek on Sunday and fished from 8-2. He managed 7 keeper whites and caught 10 more that were under sized. He said it was hit and miss in spots all were males. I am thinking of going with him the next day or so, depending on weather and try Newmans Bottom. Will report back.
JoeCephas1974
garc said:

allMondjoy said:

Hitting Sabine just north of Toledo Bend later in Feb.
Consistantly the biggest white bass in state. Must be nutrients or radio active materials in the water.

can I ask where, exactly?
There's a place North of Garrison owned by a Game Warden and his wife. She's actually a guide. They have a campground with full hookups and a concrete ramp into the river large enough to launch my 19' bay boat. We never left the boat ramp one weekend in February because you could catch your limit there. Also, the Sabine North of Toledo Bend has the biggest white bass I've ever consistently caught.
Fair winds and a following sea.
Wizard
Anybody familiar with White Rock Creek? North of Livingston.

Any suggestions there would be appreciated.
BCO07
AG
We always had most success in the little side slews and the salt creek area. Been a long time since I've been up there, though, so ymmv.
DUman08
AG
Send me an email ccox_04 at yahoo dot com
allMondjoy
Anyone know if Ken Huffman still guides for white bass on the Trinity River above Midway? He use to have a party barge and take up to 8 fisherman to the Big Eddy. It was always a slaughter when fishing was right.
Aggiedad
rancher1953
No Fishing Today, waiting for weather to get stable. Fishing is about to break loose with a little help from mother nature. Anyone know about big white bass on Lake Fork?
rancher1953
Reading now about Lake Fork. Sounds like a trip I will make, large bass, crappie and now sand bass lots of them. Here is a link that will lead you to a video of action on the lake for sand bass. Anyone in the area are the creeks that feed lake fork worth fishing this time of year. Hearing these sandy bass are large like the ones in Sabine. Here is link follow it to video.

http://www.texasalloutdoors.com/area/Video-234/id/f826fa42-c5e1-4e59-b495-8b73353937cb/page/0/30
rancher1953
Here is another video from Fox Sports Southwest about the lake and sand bass fishing. click on link paste in search engine then click on link when it comes up.

http://www.waypointtv.com/view/episode/81/791/15/Lake-Fork-Texas-White-Bass-Fishing
rancher1953
Sorry for the mistake, just click on the links and videos will appear. Sorry for the confusion on my part. I new to this www thing.
AgFan131
Is that guide in the video AggieChemist?
DUman08
AG
Gonna head out after lunch tomorrow for little evening fishing. Will report how fishing is on the trinity after the cold rain we had.
GSlice06
AG
Other than Choke Canyon, anyone know of any spots just south of SA for white bass?
Aggiewes
AG
JoeCephas1974 said:

garc said:

allMondjoy said:

Hitting Sabine just north of Toledo Bend later in Feb.
Consistantly the biggest white bass in state. Must be nutrients or radio active materials in the water.

can I ask where, exactly?
There's a place North of Garrison owned by a Game Warden and his wife. She's actually a guide. They have a campground with full hookups and a concrete ramp into the river large enough to launch my 19' bay boat. We never left the boat ramp one weekend in February because you could catch your limit there. Also, the Sabine North of Toledo Bend has the biggest white bass I've ever consistently caught.
River Ridge - Tom and Jane Gallenbach I believe.
SanAntoneAg
AG
There's a link on page juan of this thread.
SanAntoneAg
AG
GSlice06 said:

Other than Choke Canyon, anyone know of any spots just south of SA for white bass?
On the Nueces at George West. There's a ramp under Hwy. 59 and one at the airport.
BwdAg
AG
Going to try San Gabriel on granger wma on 2/10.
DUman08
AG
Thursday afternoon bite on trinity river was good slow at first but around 2pm was slinging fish in the boat bigger males being caught.
rancher1953
Lock n Dam facebook shows there are starting to catch a few. However a look at the trinity river at long lake shows a 6 ft rise is coming down. Hoping to fish again this weekend if the weather man will let me.
BwdAg
AG
Not started yet on granger lake/San Gabriel. Caught 4 before the front blew through.
AgTech88
AG
Anybody try this in the last few days? We tried the Angelina around Nacogdoches a week or so ago and it was hit or miss. Seems like the full blown run of fat females hasn't started yet? Also tried Jesse Jones with same results - all small males?

I am not a fish whisperer, so for my education what gets the run started? I have heard it is the river flow - gets better as flow increases? What does temp have to do with it, if anything? Always heard when the Dogwoods start to bloom is best time - any truth to that?

Really need a relaxing day of pulling in a big fat limit......
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Gotta have flow and I've been told you really want water temps above 55-degrees.
harge57
AG
Any North Texas reports? We usually get into them on PK over the next month.
rancher1953
Just got off phone with good friend who lives outside of San Antonio. He said the males are thick in the Nueces. He advised the water tempt. is 55-57 degrees and a lot of boats are catching limits. He said the fish are mostly males as the females have not shown up yet. He has limited out the past two days. Getting time to go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.