Outdoors
Sponsored by

2018 White Bass Run is Outdoors

54,534 Views | 261 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by allenhuffman
tx4guns
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In. Epic.
A.G.S.
AG
AGeng25 said:

I'm going to try and head to Yegua Creek above Lake Somerville on Saturday morning if the weather holds ahead of the front. Will report back if I make it out there.

Good thing DUman came to the rescue and outed rancher and his bogus reports. I probably would have headed down to Newmann's bottom!
Pictures will only be valid if taken in front of any applicable sign that will help the OB locate your exact location, and with a copy of that days newspaper, with the date clearly legible. Any other method is simply reckless.

Also, the crossing at Newmans Bottom is on the Yegua, just before the split. You gonna hit the bridge on 124?
AGeng25
AG
A.G.S. said:

AGeng25 said:

I'm going to try and head to Yegua Creek above Lake Somerville on Saturday morning if the weather holds ahead of the front. Will report back if I make it out there.

Good thing DUman came to the rescue and outed rancher and his bogus reports. I probably would have headed down to Newmann's bottom!
Pictures will only be valid if taken in front of any applicable sign that will help the OB locate your exact location, and with a copy of that days newspaper, with the date clearly legible. Any other method is simply reckless.

Also, the crossing at Newmans Bottom is on the Yegua, just before the split. You gonna hit the bridge on 124?
Noted.

Yeah my two primary locations for the Yegua are 1) Newman's Bottom and 2) Irwin Bridge, which intersects CR 124 and 132.

The past few years Newman's has been a pain as the road into it is typically closed -- they've been attempting to rebuild the bridge, but like most state-funded projects, it's taking forever. Do you know if it's open now?

Irwin's is hit or miss, and honestly I typically walk a mile downstream of the bridge towards Newman's bottom anyways.

Regardless, it will be nice to get out there and do some fishing.
A.G.S.
AG
It's been a while since I've been out there unfortunately. Was gonna head out this past monday, but the wind kept me at home.

From what I have heard, the road to the parking area is open. If that's true you'd just have to walk across the pasture to the crossing. No idea of the condition of the crossing though.

I'm headed to the coast this weekend, but hopefully I'll get a chance to hit Yegua on March 3rd. Honestly more excited about crappie then redfish.

And yeah, If we got there early enough we'd generally park at the bridge and just work our way down toward the lake till we found a spot that produced.

I'm anxious to hear how things really are out there. Especially after the Rancher let down.
AGeng25
AG
I meant the separate bridge closer to the main entrance from the county road into the Newman's Bottom area, not the bridge that crosses the Yegua right by the parking lot by the creek itself.

But anyways, I'll give it a try and report back!
A.G.S.
AG
Yea, thats the bridge I meant as well. Sorry, I didn't say it super clearly.

Not sure where I heard it now, and maybe it was just a dream, but I think that bridge off the CR (I think it was CR140) has been repaired.
DUman08
AG
I am hosting Tower shoot this weekend but Monday I am going to try. If I get to hit the water I will give a report then of what the creeks above Livingston look like.
806aggie18
AG
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/10741848/182/Lake_Somerville
If y'all haven't found this thread on sommerville, it consistently provides good updates on the creeks. They're starting to pull quite a few fish out of there.
BioAg2007
I fished Yegua from last Thursday until Sunday and launched from Nails Creek State Park. Caught a lot around Wolf pond(on Yegua Creek) Thursday evening. Friday was not good and caught a few. Fished Nails Creek Saturday evening and caught a few. Sunday, caught 8 at Newman's bottom at the bridge. I kayaked from Nails Creek SP and made Newman's bottom at 1200. They weren't thick in numbers, you have to work up and down the creek. Some people caught more than me but I was in kayak. I think the rain will be good for the current in the Yegua because it was not running in some areas. I bet next weekend when the temps warm up and the weather looks better they will be all over the creek. Good luck!
BioAg2007
Also, from what people were telling me at Newsman bottom, you have to walk in from the gate since it's locked. That means I can't get my kayak in yet without dragging it a few miles. Maybe gate was unlocked after Sunday and you can drive down. Please let me know if that is the case. You can bank fish along there, but being in a kayak or walking in the creek are better options to me.
PorkEatingCrusader
rancher1953 said:

Serious question! Are you on meds? because you should be.
Ragoo
AG
rancher1953 said:

The run at Nueces is starting here is an example of some happy fisherman

this is a terrible photoshop
AgGrad99
AG
Anyone been on the streams in central texas? Trying to get out to the Pedernales soon.
msnyder91
My son and I kayak fish Nails and Yegua Creeks this time of year for white bass and crappie. I'd like to spend a night in one of the primitive campsites, are they accessible by kayak? Specifically, is the one on the east side of Flag Pond accessible by kayak if you take that channel off of Nails?

Speaking of that channel, has anyone ever caught fish in it?
AG
DUman08 said:

By then fish should be out of the main lake and all in the creeks. If you haul the kayaks to any of the creeks north of the lake should be good bite around that time. If they are not releasing a lot of water check out below the dam but it can get mighty dangerous down there if you are not careful and aware.

Appreciate the help!
DUman08
AG
No fishing for me today. I am going to go take a look at some water sheds though, we received a ton of rain yesterday and more expected tomorrow.
Need a 2-3 days of no rain to let the creeks kind of clean up and get the sweet tea color to them. White bass will bite when they are muddy you just have hit them in the head with your lure.
texagvet95
Tried Guadalupe/Rebecca creek this weekend. Put in at Rebecca boat ramp Saturday and Sunday. Went to the rapids. No significant action Saturday or Sunday. Tried white and chartreuse curly tails, rattle traps and speck rig with minimal luck. Any help would be appreciated. Son in law is starting to question my tactics!!
SquirrellyDan
AG
texagvet95 said:

Tried Guadalupe/Rebecca creek this weekend. Put in at Rebecca boat ramp Saturday and Sunday. Went to the rapids. No significant action Saturday or Sunday. Tried white and chartreuse curly tails, rattle traps and speck rig with minimal luck. Any help would be appreciated. Son in law is starting to question my tactics!!
Although I wish you had better luck, I'm glad I didn't miss anything. I almost went on Saturday but decided to go trout fishing on the other side of Canyon Lake instead.

I think it's just too early. I went to Rebecca Creek boat ramp last weekend, lots of boats were out there but nobody I talked to had any luck. Maybe with this rain they'll get started, I'm going to give it a shot again this weekend.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I can't speak to the run in Central Texas, Rebecca Creek specifically, but in Houston it's definitely not too early. The problem, as DUman08 has pointed out is that all the rain we've had in East Texas has got the creeks too high and muddy to fish. The bass are there but finding them and staying on them is almost impossible and so is getting them to eat unless you smack them in the face with your lure.
MouthBQ98
AG
Or use cocktail shrimps...
DUman08
AG
DUman08
AG
Drove down to couple ramps today and talked to couple people. Water was high, rolling and muddy. The few people I talked too were catfishing and had some good stringers of cats. One guy had 2 whites that all I saw.
MPD280
side note- what is the best lure to use during the white bass run?
Billy Foster
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Anyone been on the streams in central texas? Trying to get out to the Pedernales s
oon.

We out on Sunday north of the Perenales between Muleshoe and the Narrows ramp. Not a lot of action but the keepers were all big females. Still looks like you'll be limited from the mouth to fairly south of the 71 bridge. There's a lot of old growth in the water from lake being down so long. Kayaks may work better up there.
ought1ag
AG
old man went catfishing at choke yesterday and said there was hardly a spot to park at the 99 boat ramp........I'm guessing someone has been doing good.

I've grown to love and hate the white bass run at choke. I love catching them, but despise the amount of trash that gets left behind by bank fisherman. I wont even get into what it takes to get a boat launched with 2 dozen people standing on the boat ramp and pier.
99StationAG
AG
Trying to hit Yegua/Somerville at the end of the week. Maybe I missed it, but how long is it to paddle a yak from Nails Creek launch into middle Yegua? Or, is it better to drop in at Irwin's bridge?

Any suggestions on lures/baits? First time to give this a go.

TIA!

WB '99
DUman08
AG
I will touch on this but many people have favorites or "best lures" for the whitebass spawn.
A couple lures I like to use are tandem rigged jigs with a grub attached. I usually start off using two different colors to locate fish and see what color they may like better.
I also use Blue fox lures , beetle spins and small rattle traps
Drip99
AG
Billy Foster said:

AgGrad99 said:

Anyone been on the streams in central texas? Trying to get out to the Pedernales s
oon.

We out on Sunday north of the Perenales between Muleshoe and the Narrows ramp. Not a lot of action but the keepers were all big females. Still looks like you'll be limited from the mouth to fairly south of the 71 bridge. There's a lot of old growth in the water from lake being down so long. Kayaks may work better up there.
Is there a public put in near 71 on the pedernales? Looks like water is too low for Reimers ranch.
TxAgPE
AG
I'll go.

Spent the last two Saturday mornings fishing the Llano arm of Lake LBJ. 2/17 caught three whites, all over 13" and last Saturday, 2/24, caught seven whites with five keepers. Both mornings had three or four black bass scattered here and there.

My main technique is to troll the river channel (South) side using Rapala CD7's and/or #5 Shad Raps. The water on the channel side is deeper (8-12 feet) so the lipped baits can get deeper and still stay off the bottom. The water on the flats (North) side of the river is shallower (4-8 feet), and here I troll Storm and/or Powerbait 3" swim shads. The swim shads are lipless and utilize a single hook on top, not a treble hook on bottom. This allows me to troll the shallow side while staying above the mossy bottom.

Most of the fish I have caught have been on the flats side of the river, West of the HWY 2900 bridge. I am not smart enough to know if they are staging for a real run up river or if they are just meandering around because it has been so cold. Either way, if this trend continues, the coming weeks should be good.

Once the weather gets nicer and the boats start fighting for real estate, I'll drop a kayak at a park on River Oaks Dr., paddle up the Llano, and wade fish the deeper pockets where the river gets too shallow for a boat. Here you can pretty much throw whatever you want. If you find fish, they will bite.

If I can get away, I plan on making another trip this weekend. I'll report back on Monday.

Good luck out there.
Billy Foster
AG
JesusQuintana said:

Billy Foster said:

AgGrad99 said:

oon.

Is there a public put in near 71 on the pedernales? Looks like water is too low for Reimers ranch.
I believe the closest ramp would be in Pace Bend on the north side of the park, Colliers ramp I believe, then head up river as far as you can get. Or if you know someone in Paleface Ranch, they have a ramp too.
BullSprig07
AG
Anyone in Houston have experience fishing Jesse Jones park in Humble during the run? I've read/heard about it being a decent spot. Had jury duty on Friday and got dismissed around noon, the sun was shining and stuff was blooming so instead of heading into work I grabbed a spinning reel and a few lures and headed to try it out.

My only white bass experience is the small creeks around Somerville so this section of Spring Creek was a little daunting to fish, basically a river. With all the rain it was rushing pretty fast and muddy so not the best day but I'm sure it has it's moments if you know how to fish it....
AgGrad99
AG
I'm going to Reimers Friday, I'll let you know.

With all this rain, I'd be shocked if the water is too low still...but we've been in a bit of a drought, so you might be right. Where are you trying to fish? Further down towards Pedernales Falls SP, or towards Lake Travis?
Drip99
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I'm going to Reimers Friday, I'll let you know.

With all this rain, I'd be shocked if the water is too low still...but we've been in a bit of a drought, so you might be right. Where are you trying to fish? Further down towards Pedernales Falls SP, or towards Lake Travis?
Was thinking the first sand bar which last year was up river...it was high enough that I saw boats motoring past the put in at Reimers. My guess I would have put in and paddle/portage my way down towards travis and try for whites along the way.
AgGrad99
AG
Gotcha. You're probably right.

I hike down that way typically, and it's either flowing great, or not at all. Not much in between.
JFrench
AG
There's some replies on the thread about JJ. When they're moving its a good spot according to others. I fished it for the first time a few weeks ago and got nothing. Hit canoe launch area first. Moving west there is a bend that had about 20 people fishing it so guessing thats been hot spot in years past. Other than a few males no one was catching anything.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.