Outdoors
Sponsored by

2018 White Bass Run is Outdoors

54,530 Views | 261 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by allenhuffman
BayouRocket
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Somerville question

25 years ago we used to catch whites from the bank of the island in the middle of the lake. Is this later in the season?

I don't remember the details, I just know we used to catch a lot of fish and the guys that I went with were the ones that knew when
BurrOak
AG
Anyone have a report on the Leon or Bosque rivers?
AGeng25
AG
BayouRocket said:

Somerville question

25 years ago we used to catch whites from the bank of the island in the middle of the lake. Is this later in the season?

I don't remember the details, I just know we used to catch a lot of fish and the guys that I went with were the ones that knew when
Are you talking about Snake Island? If so, yeah we used to catch a ton of white bass there. It's typically in March, around Spring Break time, but of course is hit or miss depending on weather patterns.
BayouRocket
AG
I guess that is what it is called. We would go out there and fish all day camp at night. Drink a bunch of beer. Good times!
Ol Jock 99
AG
Heading to River Ridge on the Sabine Sunday. MFBarnes, let me know if you'll be there, since you mentioned them earlier.
AgTech88
AG
Going to be in Hawkins, TX (tyler/Longview area) this weekend. Anything closer than the Angelina to try for the whites? Will have access to Brooks Lake - anyone know anything about it?
Mr. Frodo
AG
ol jock 99 ... i guess i got "catfished" by mfbarnes ... i mentioned to him that i would be at riverridge this weekend. headed there friday night with a few other dads and sons. according to the river gauges the river is at flood stage and flowing at about 12000 cfs but jane said they caught fish yesterday and that we should be fine on saturday. i imagine you will be even better on sunday. we'll try to leave a few in the river for you.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The Sabine is current in flood stage and still rising. The water at River Ridge's campground is up to Jane's steps. We canceled our trip.
Greeze06
AG
Anyone ever do any night fishing on Conroe? Thinking about taking the boat out tonight if the weather holds.
DUman08
AG
Been on the water since 11 and the creeks above lake Livingston are packed with people today. Bite is great just have to move away from people trolling.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I posted earlier about the crossing of Rebecca Creek road over the Guadalupe. There is a pull off with river access, about a 3 foot drop to the river but manageable. Apparently it's legal to park on the road but not on the pull off itself, which makes sense because it would get packed and make it difficult to maneuver.

I only caught a couple of largemouths. Apparently I didn't go down river far enough, I talked to a guy who said the bass were running by the rapids, which I guess is about 2 miles from the crossing. I only went about a mile down. I'm going to head back out there tomorrow morning if the weather cooperates.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Glad to hear that there is still parking available there.

If there is a good rise in the river this month, they'll make it up to the crossing.

It seems that the Guad run peaks during the March Madness tourney.
Drip99
AG
PrimeTime09 said:

I posted earlier about the crossing of Rebecca Creek road over the Guadalupe. There is a pull off with river access, about a 3 foot drop to the river but manageable. Apparently it's legal to park on the road but not on the pull off itself, which makes sense because it would get packed and make it difficult to maneuver.

I only caught a couple of largemouths. Apparently I didn't go down river far enough, I talked to a guy who said the bass were running by the rapids, which I guess is about 2 miles from the crossing. I only went about a mile down. I'm going to head back out there tomorrow morning if the weather cooperates.

If I can sneak away I'll head out tomorrow afternoon. I might launch at boat ramp 11 and troll up to the rapid
Ragoo
AG
We used to park the boat on this bar and walk a few hundred yards up river and really well

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8903979,-98.3475868,18z/data=!3m1!1e3
YellowPot_97
AG
Got a few this afternoon at Colorado Bend. 1/3 were females.
AggieArcher17
AG
Stopped counting after 150 last Thursday north of Livingston. It was ridiculous. all fish were returned to the water!
SquirrellyDan
AG
Caught 4 or 5 at the rapids in the Guadalupe today. Everyone I talked to also said they weren't having too much luck.

Weather was nice though, and the ones I caught were all 12-14"
BurrOak
AG
We took home 125 this morning, but probably caught 150+ on the North Bosque.
A.G.S.
AG
Got 5 this morning at Newmans. All males.

The Creek was packed, probably 40 cars at the parking area, and everyone had sparse stringers.

Game Warden stopped by and said that last weekend was on fire, but from what he's seen the females have already dropped their eggs and headed back to the lake.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Somerville is always early compared to other central Texas WB runs.
Mule_lx
AG
None at Camp Tejas today.
Robs ducks
Not whites,,but crappie are getting ready to go. The rains muddied things up and cooled the water off. Caught 4 males all black crappie with flyrod, trout magnet jigs and cork. Between 11 and 12.5 inches. The females should be coming in another week or two. Private lake in Huntsville. Of note my dad hooked a 5-6 lb cat on his flyrod--hit a jig. He fought it a couple of minutes before it spit the hook. He caught a 15 lb buffalo a couple of yrs ago on that same rod, hit a cricket. That was also fun to watch.
AgTech88
AG
Anyone been to the Angelina River in Nacadoches? Trying to get up there this week and afraid the run may be over - was up that way this weekend and Dogwoods are in full bloom...... Any info/reports appreciated.
99StationAG
AG
Hit Somerville on Friday. Started at Irwin's bridge in the kayak. Caught two, but too many blockages from downed trees, so packed up and headed to Newman's.

Probably 20 cars in the lot, but people were spread out pretty well. Caught about 12 there on white Marabou with red/orange head.

They guy fly fishing next to me was catching fish on almost every cast. We struck up a conversation, and turns out he's on the Pro Staff with TFO. He lives in Bellville part time, and Alaska part time. Super nice guy and was happy to teach me some cast, gladly offed to let me use his gear, etc. I learned more in an hr. than 3 yrs. of reading, watching, etc.

Best of luck out there!

WB '99
Mr. Frodo
AG
Fished River Ridge on Saturday and despite the flood stage of the Sabine river Jane and her crew put our group on the fish. Every boat that wanted to did catch limits. My son had a blast catching so many fish. After the great morning on the water, we had ribs at the Country Tavern for a late lunch. Strong Saturday in March.
AgGrad99
AG

Absolutely nothing on the Pedernales, west of 71 bridge. I saw a lot of people out there, and no one I'd talked to had gotten anything to bite.
dead zip 01
AG
Thinking of heading out to fish Canyon Lake/Guadalupe river tomorrow and launching at the Rebecca Creek ramp (ramp 11). Im wanting to take my 13 ft Whaler but I'm not familiar with that ramp.

The lake is currently about 4 ft low. Will there be enough water to launch a small trailered boat there and get out of the creek into the river? Thanks
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Still too early for the whites in North Texas...
Though I was able to catch some largemouth during lunch yesterday and today. The benefits of working near a pond with some fish.

SanAntoneAg
AG
I used to launch my 13' Whaler there. You should be fine.

It's a steep ramp and some folks with bigger/heavier boats have to use 4WD on occasion.
AGeng25
AG
I'm headed to the Yegua at Irwin Bridge on Saturday morning. I'll probably walk downstream and look for deep holes.

Anyone want to join?
AGeng25
AG
Caught around 10 downstream of Irwin bridge on the Yegua. Only kept 5 lots of small males. No one else had much luck either that I saw.

I drove by Newman's Bottom. Cars everywhere, but you could not drive all the way in. I'm interested to see how well someone down there did.
99StationAG
AG
Caught 35 between two of us at Newman's on Weds. in about an hr. and a half, all fly fishing. Maybe 5 cars there that afternoon/evening. Lots of fish still moving upstream. Bite should be on at least through the next week or so.

WB '99
YellowPot_97
AG
Buddy and I both limited out at Colorado Bend today. I could've got another limit if I'd kept going.
Ol Jock 99
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

Buddy and I both limited out at Colorado Bend today. I could've got another limit if I'd kept going.

Crowds bad?
jt2hunt
AG
Where could I take my son around Dallas
He turns five this week and I would like to have him try and catch a few
Thanks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.