Outdoors
Sponsored by

2018 White Bass Run is Outdoors

53,855 Views | 261 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by allenhuffman
elnaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The males should be staging in the creeks by now and it shouldn't be long before the run is in full swing on most lakes. Figured I'd post a centralized thread for reports. Don't have to be specific on locations if you don't want, but I figured this might help us let each other know when things start kicking off.

I've been seeing some reports of pretty good catches in the creeks of Lake Houston already. Probably going to hit Lake Sommerville next week if the weather cooperates. A little more rain would be helpful though.
Sean98
AG
2018 white bass run is 4 months away for me.
DUman08
AG
Trinity river is producing a few fish they are 99% males but with sun and warmer conditions next couple of weeks should start to move in some females. Dogwoods and red buds haven't started yet and that good indication for me when they really get going. I will make a few runs next week and look in few spots.
MouthBQ98
AG
Been keeping an eye out. I'm having to learn a whole new area now that I'm between Brenham and Austin.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
elnaco- I know a guy who has already started hitting them around Houston and up to Livingston. You probably know the same dude.

I'm planning on hitting it up this weekend as long as the weather isn't terrible.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Glad you started this...I'm planning on hitting the staging areas on Canyon Lake near the mouth of the Guadalupe in my kayak and then later further up river. Would be interested in hearing any advice as I've not fished the area before.
elnaco
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

elnaco- I know a guy who has already started hitting them around Houston and up to Livingston. You probably know the same dude.

I'm planning on hitting it up this weekend as long as the weather isn't terrible.
Yeah we're likely talking about the same guy. He's been getting into them already pretty good.

I can't go this weekend but let us know how you do if you end up going.
Greeze06
AG
Anyone know some good spots around Conroe?
MouthBQ98
AG
San Jacinto River and Spring Creek. Jesse Jones Park can produce, but if you have a kayak or boat you can launch around the 59 bridge or thereabouts and work your way upstream scouting for them. If you keep making lefts at the branches you will start to go up Cypress Creek and reach Jesse Jones.

There's a few in there year round, but at times there can be a LOT of them.
Ragoo
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Been keeping an eye out. I'm having to learn a whole new area now that I'm between Brenham and Austin.
canyon lake
Ragoo
AG
primomosquito said:

Glad you started this...I'm planning on hitting the staging areas on Canyon Lake near the mouth of the Guadalupe in my kayak and then later further up river. Would be interested in hearing any advice as I've not fished the area before.
you can go pretty far up the Guadalupe. There is a sand bar where boats can't go beyond. It is a long way back for a kayak, but the fishing is awesome.
SanAntoneAg
AG
And that's from launching at the Rebecca Creek ramp.
Gig 'em! '90
allMondjoy
Hitting Sabine just north of Toledo Bend later in Feb.
Consistantly the biggest white bass in state. Must be nutrients or radio active materials in the water.
Aggiedad
806aggie18
AG
I was trying to talk some friends into going out to sommmerville this weekend to paddle up into Nails. Hopefully the weather holds.
AgGrad99
AG
I'll be heading out to the pedernales in 2-3 weeks, hope to time it right.

I feel like a good downpour or two would really help get them moving. Without anymore rain, I fear it'll be slow going this year.
YellowPot_97
AG
they've started to show up at Colorado Bend. going to test it out for myself this weekend.
AgGrad99
AG
Seems early...
Pro Sandy
AG
But hows the Mexican bass run sounding?
AgGrad99
AG
Pro Sandy said:

But hows the Mexican bass run sounding?

I'm going to build a damn for them, and make them pay for it!!
FirefightAg
AG
presidents day is usually my marker for N Tex. It has been kind off the last few years for me going from drought to floods. I usually hit a few spots around dallas
DayAg!
S
Yeah I fished the Sabine north of the lake. Those are some big white bass. We used crankbaits in the middle of the river when we couldn't find them on the banks or in eddys with jigs. Rapala bill baits, shad color 8-10ft. diver.
magnumtmp
AG
allMondjoy said:

Consistantly the biggest white bass in state. Must be nutrients or radio active materials in the water.

Eastman Chemical is just upstream in Longview.
BioAg2007
Kayaked fished nearly all of Nails Creek to the road and didn't get a bite last Saturday. Did the same thing 2 weeks ago during the week on Yegua and only got one black bass. I think with the freezing weather, the temperatures still need some time to get higher. I'm thinking mid to late February.
JFrench
AG
I think in a post years back you replied in about them in Spring creek. I missed the run last year. Caught few males prior to Christmas and couple more few weeks ago.

Is there anything specific to watch for--conditions, maybe message boards, etc to know females are moving in?

I want to get my 6 yr old out there and limited to weekends. We've been hitting Pundt Park cause he caught big crappie there about a month ago. We'll bike up and down from there. So attention span being low just trying to hone in what I'm looking for to increase chances that we get an outing where he's tearing them up
Drip99
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

And that's from launching at the Rebecca Creek ramp.
Based on google maps, that's a long paddle up river from boat ramp 11. Better have a trolling motor on your yak
elnaco
AG
BioAg2007 said:

Kayaked fished nearly all of Nails Creek to the road and didn't get a bite last Saturday. Did the same thing 2 weeks ago during the week on Yegua and only got one black bass. I think with the freezing weather, the temperatures still need some time to get higher. I'm thinking mid to late February.
Man that's not hopeful haha. In my experience though Nails lags the Yegua a bit. At any rate, we probably need some rain and a little longer warm spell to start getting them in numbers.
cr
allMondjoy said:

can I ask where, exactly?
Aggieangler93
AG
Anyone hitting these in the lakes North of Austin? Maybe Granger or Georgetown?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
SanAntoneAg
AG
Texas Fishing Forum usually has tons of white bass reports. To a lesser degree, 2Cool freshwater board.
Gig 'em! '90
SanAntoneAg
AG
I've never used them but over the years they have been the real deal.

http://riverridgetx.com/sabineriver/
Gig 'em! '90
MouthBQ98
AG
You want some flow to get them to move upstream but not muddy water where they can't see a bait. After a bit of rain wait a day or two and they might move up into any creek that is still flowing. Other than that it really is hit or miss. I had to keep fishing for them all over and fairly often till I hit them. One year, I was still catching them in large numbers in cypress creek in April.

There are also good catfish, crappie and bass in the creeks if you work up and down a section of it meticulously.
Mule_lx
AG
Likely around March. I'd like to try out the steps, but I've never been out there. I need to scout it one day before it gets really busy.
BioAg2007
I agree. Need a solid rain day or two with continued warm temperatures like today. The lake level and creek channels are actually at pretty good water levels now. You can kayak to both creeks from Nails Creek State Park with ease. This weekend may be good with this warm weather, you never know. I plan to go again in about 2 weeks.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Anyone hitting these in the lakes North of Austin? Maybe Granger or Georgetown?
Yes, used to hit up the San Gabriel above Granger often in kayaks. It's getting crowded now, though. Especially if you plan on bank fishing...
JFrench
AG
Appreciate insight Mouth and San Antone.

Once he catches something he won't put the pole down. Can't wait until we really get into them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.