Outdoors
Sponsored by

2018 White Bass Run is Outdoors

54,562 Views | 261 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by allenhuffman
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JFrench said:

Appreciate insight Mouth and San Antone.

Once he catches something he won't put the pole down. Can't wait until we really get into them.

Lake Houston Wilderness Park is a good place too.
DUman08
AG
Played hooky after lunch and did some WB scouting. I found some good pockets of fish but they are not thick just yet. I figure in about a week or two and its gonna be on. Chartreuse blue fox lures did the trick today. Fish tacos will be in the future.

AgGrad99
AG
Where'd you get 'em?
rancher1953
I fish have been on the trinity river the last few days. It is off and on in spots. I had a limit at the mouth of Bedise Creek in a little over 2 hrs. The next day went up to the Big Eddie and caught a limit but it took almost all day. The run is about to kick off big time on the trinity. The white bass at Nails generally do not start until the dog woods and redbuds start to bud out.
rancher1953
Just got off phone with a good friend who just got off the Nueces fishing for whites. He reported that water tempt was 57 degrees and he managed to get around 20 whites but he it took him a little more that 1/2 a day. He said dogwoods just about to bloom in the area. He thinking give it a week and it will be the start of the run.
DUman08
AG
Fishing trinity river above Livingston.
DUman08
AG
Fished south of Bedias today and bite got better the closer I got to the lake. Won't be long before they get up to lock n dam. I monitor their Facebook and when they start posting stringers being caught means the fish are ripe for te picking up and down the river.
AgGrad99
AG
Thanks! Still probably a couple weeks away in the hill country I'd guess.
Kenneth_2003
AG
May try to hit Lake Creek in Montgomery county this weekend.
rancher1953
Heading up the trinity river now, will report later on today. Water is low and with a good flow. Seeing plenty of gar for those that gar fish. Will report back later. Putting boat in river near Midway.
AGinSEC
I know it depends entirely on the weather and location etc.... but what would be some suggestions for tackle for bank/wading somewhere near College Station.

I am dying to get on to some of these white bass but haven't ever been successful. I never fished this in TN/AL/MS
Ragoo
AG
tntotx said:

I know it depends entirely on the weather and location etc.... but what would be some suggestions for tackle for bank/wading somewhere near College Station.

I am dying to get on to some of these white bass but haven't ever been successful. I never fished this in TN/AL/MS
uktra light spinning rod/reel combo.

Get some rooster tails in white and yellow, 1/8oz

http://www.yakimabait.com/products/original-rooster-tail/

Go to the yegua or nails creek out at Somerville

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Did well yesterday in the Houston area. But all males, probably a week or two away from the run really heating up.

https://instagr.am/p/BetzQWqAjH8
rancher1953
Put in at Highway 21 bridge near Midway and went up the Trinity yesterday. Had rain and a little wind to fight along with discourteous boaters on the river. My fishing partner and I managed to scratch out 17 whites and 8 channel cats. We fished about 7 hours and it was it and miss at various spots along the river. Most fish were at the Big Eddie and Little Eddie. We went up river quit a ways. I think in my many years of fishing that the white bass will kick off sometimes this week if we get a warm up. I will be ready and plan on fishing different areas to find them. Stand by for report. I will try to post pictures if I can figure this www thing out.
rancher1953
Just got off the phone with a good friend who advised that the white bass run on the nueces river has started. He informed me that if you put in at the 59 bridge and head south you will find them. He also said that you can put in near the airport also and look for the boats. He said yesterday everyone was catching good size females. Hope those in the Corpus/S.A. area take advantage of the run.
AGinSEC
Perfect thank you.
rancher1953
For those in the Harris County area maybe time to hit spring and cypress creeks. My sons and I use to have luck at Jess H. Jones park and there is also a kayak launch at the park located on Riley Fuzzel Rd east of Hardy. Hope to hear a report soon from the area. When the run is on it is on.
rancher1953
Here are a couple of links from an aggie class of 64 who is one of the best at catching white bass. One is a you tube where he shows how it is done on lake livingston. The other is a great article on his bait. Hope you enjoy and learn.

https://www.mepps.com/mepps-tactics/article/the-fishing-discovery-of-my-lifetime/408

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aTnxKR9-u8&feature=youtu.be
rancher1953

allMondjoy
Rancher you full of info. Keep it coming. Do you clean fish too?
Aggiedad
DUman08
AG
Fished south of you this morning and caught 2 man limit off Nelson's cut. Fished back toward the lake on way back and caught fish at every stop. Didn't start catching until around 9 this morning but were done by 12. Fish really showing up last couple of days.
Greeze06
AG
Thanks for the info. I'm a beginner so that was a great read and video. I couldn't find any of the mepps that look exactly like the pics. Anyone have any leads? Gonna try some structure on Conroe next weekend.

Thanks again rancher!
MouthBQ98
AG
Fished the Colorado near Smithville because it is close to home. Not a bite.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Unfortunately, with Choke being so low, the Nueces has become a ****show the past few years. It's that time of year, the Nueces is always early. Glad they're on them.
AggieArcher17
AG
I may try tomorrow! Brand new to houston area and havent started my new job yet. NEED FISH!
rancher1953
Found this Texas Bank Fishing Map for Texas. Hope it helps those without a boat wanting to fish. Take that son or daughter fishing and make some memories.

Texas Google Bank Fishing Map
AgGrad99
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Fished the Colorado near Smithville because it is close to home. Not a bite.
Did you stop by Murphys Steakhouse on the way home?
MouthBQ98
AG
Not this time. I only live about 15 Miles from it though.
AgGrad99
AG
That's a good place
JFrench
AG
Thank you. Didnt see this. Going to give it a try.

Was out at Pundt for only an hour or so yesterday. Couple of guys had waded out and were catching few males but claimed they hadnt caught any females.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Any North Texas reports?

Think it's still a few weeks away for us.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Anyone have an update for Canyon Lake?
BCO07
AG
was considering walking into to a few of the creeks feeding Somerville. I've never tried before, but its close enough to give it a go. Anybody have success up there in the past?
cevans_40
AG
Any areas around Sommerville that are accessible by walking? Wanting to get my 2 young daughters on some fish.
MouthBQ98
AG
There's some areas in the WMA around nails creek and Yegua creek. 124 crosses Yegua creek at a WMA. That area can have fish.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.