Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

205,051 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by HarleySpoon
src94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haha, I'd fly right seat in just about anything just to fly. I love it in the air.
Centex99
AG
src94 said:

Haha, I'd fly right seat in just about anything just to fly. I love it in the air.
Likewise!

I may have to go fly this evening...
CanyonAg77
AG
Currently in Arizona for my kid's graduation from F-16 training.
src94
AG
Centex99 said:

src94 said:

Likewise!

I may have to go fly this evening...
I'm getting recurrent @ 1600 today! Whoop.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Congrats!!

Ask her if she's read Boyd: the fighter pilot that changed the art of war

He was a big part of how and why the Viper happened
CenterHillAg
AG
Finishing my 2nd season flying ag, quite the career change and loving it. Flying more than I ever imagined and learning a whole lot along the way. Also own a J3 and 182, but everybody knows what those look like, so here's a pic of the work plane doing what it does best... waiting for fertilizer to show up.

XpressAg09
AG
Continuing the bump.

I've got my biennial checkride coming up this next month so I get to purposefully stall an aircraft a couple times (not my favorite, but always a good lesson)

We live on approach for KIAH and my boy (3.5 years) loves watching them come in. Only a matter of time before we go KDWH -> KCLL for a ballgame.

He has no idea Daddy's got this expensive habit and I can't wait to share it with him.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I like stalls.

Pretty stoked about spins in UPT
CanyonAg77
AG
Freaking Ag-Cat!
PA24
AG
Solo after 25 hrs. meaning my instructor let me park the plane by myself.

Solo after 40 hrs. in the plane. Took me 85 hrs. to get my license on the second try.

Have flown all over the USA, instrument rated and love flying with over 2000 hrs.

Flying is the only way to travel and even better if you have the dollars to own and maintain ownership n airplane.

src94
AG
Anybody have a recommendation for an online logbook app (iPhone/iPad)? Or ones to avoid?
AlexAggie
AG
I have used myflightbook.com, but have pretty much moved over to the one in Foreflight. Makes it really easy to log when half of the information is already in there!
BoerneGator
AG
Just found this thread also. Got my PPL in '77 and bought a Cherokee 180 same year. Got my comm/Instr ticket the next year, but had to give it up. Haven't flown in years, but wish I had an "excuse" to. Plan to get back into it with a bush plane in Alaska within the next two years, so if anyone has any connections in that area, let me know.
CanyonAg77
AG
Outdoors Board group buy?

https://amarillo.craigslist.org/avo/d/edmond-piper-j3-cub/6812513624.html

Quote:

1946 Piper J-3 Cub. Continental A65-8 engine. Hand prop; no starter. Yes, it is a "tail dragger". Needs to be recovered. Not quite a "barn find" but almost. Last annual done in 2014. Total time, 5832. Tach time 2278. Engine overhauled by Bela's in 1988. Total time since major, less than 50 hours! Engine has been run and aircraft flown on a private strip since 1988. Lift struts replaced 2007. One main tire replaced in 2004. Comes with another new tire. Aluminum wing spar. Always hangered. Located in the Greenville TX area. Priced at $25K Text 405-209- six 430

Aero95
AG
He's advertising it up here in Wichita too! It would make a nice toy. Recovering is a major PITA though.
Moy
50 hours SMOH? Throw in an ADS-B and I'm in!
average_joker
AG
So that engine has 50 hours on it since 1988? I'd almost want an overhaul before I flew it.
CenterHillAg
AG
You'd be upside down in that Cub as soon as you wrote the check. I'd ballpark it needing $50k worth of work easy if you had a shop do all the work.
AgTech88
AG
Full Disclosure I am not a pilot, just a huge aviation buff.

Curious about your concerns about KIWS. I have a buddy that has a hanger and I get to spend a good bit of time there. Really enjoy interacting with a lot of the pilots and watching the takeoffs & Landings.
src94
AG
Anyone in B/CS looking to partner up in buying one?
CanyonAg77
AG
CenterHillAg said:

You'd be upside down in that Cub as soon as you wrote the check. I'd ballpark it needing $50k worth of work easy if you had a shop do all the work.
I'm not doubting you, but I'd like to know more.

Obviously it needs an annual and a recover. What does it cost to recover? Annual? And do you think the engine should be gone through again? What else?

Full disclosure: I'm not buying it, nor anything like it. Just curious.
Aero95
AG
Aircraft engines are generally intolerant of sitting for long periods. Most are old school flat tappet lifter designs, and these and/or cam lobes will rust after sitting, and eventually self-destruct. Cylinder bores are typically steel-lined and will also rust. It would be wise to take the engine apart for inspection and replacement of whatever might be rusted, which might snowball into another overhaul. If the crank is also rusted, then it will get expensive...

I've not been involved with a recover yet. Materials should only be a few thousand, but there is a ton of labor and then paint. If you've got the skills it would be a great chance for sweat equity.

Nice flying Cubs are $30-40k generally today, so this one doesn't appear to be a bargain by any stretch, but it might be a good start for the right buyer.
CenterHillAg
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

CenterHillAg said:

I'm not doubting you, but I'd like to know more.

Obviously it needs an annual and a recover. What does it cost to recover? Annual? And do you think the engine should be gone through again? What else?

Full disclosure: I'm not buying it, nor anything like it. Just curious.
Labor plus materials for a shop to do a recover: $30k minimum. I've worked on 3 Piper recovers and there is an insane amount of labor, I believe 400 hrs is the average for my buddy's shop. I'm friends with one of the best fabric guys in the nation, I doubt he'd do a recover for less than $50k. On a plane that old that has sat that much, I'd be inspecting/replacing every wearable item, restoring/replacing all metal parts, and there will plenty of project creep while you have the plane open. Probably worth hauling to a shop to put in a jig too, if they say it has no accident history they're lying. It's a Cub, they all have damage.

The engine has set way too much since rebuild, and I doubt it has been pickled. At a minimum it needs to be opened up and inspected, at worst a $15k overhaul may be needed. Personally I'd put a C85 or C90 on it if the A65 needs more than just an inspection, more power for similar maintenance prices.

Paperwork/annual other upgrades or repairs will add up in a hurry too. It has the original drum brakes which are hard to find parts for, you'd be much better off to put a set of disc brakes on. Interior/instruments etc. I'm sure the cowlings could use some help, as well as the gas tank. These projects are huge to take on, many people end up never completing them. That's another $10k before you know it.

At the end of the day, you have $75k+ in a plane worth $40-50k if it's a good restoration. The Piper community is a small world, many people know these planes well and can spot a bad apple. I don't think this is a bad plane, it's just listed about $15k too high in my opinion. As Aero said, someone would be much better off buying one currently flying.
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks!
CaptnCarl
AG
Glad to see a bump in this thread. Cubs are a dream plane of mine. Right behind a Phenom 300!
Moy
I was kidding about the SMOH. I thought that might be clear with the ADS-B remark.
CanyonAg77
AG
And thanks for your response, too.
Aero95
AG
One of my good friends bought a Piper Pacer years ago and ended up getting a bit snookered on the deal. During his first annual inspection he uncovered undisclosed/unrepaired/hidden damage that snowballed into a ground-up restoration. About 4 years later he had a great flying new airplane that even won an award at Oshkosh. Not even counting his labor he took a 40+k bath when he sold a few years later. And that was getting perhaps twice the average price for one! This Cub would be similar I'm afraid, but at least it is a nostalgic plane that someone might over pay for!

I agree with all the details outlined above. The engine might be OK if it was pickled, or just lucky sitting in a dry climate. But it is still a low power engine when the higher power versions are desired, and they don't really hurt the nostalgia factor. An industrious buyer could do a restoration like my friend and earn an A&P license along the way instead of spending equivalent money on a formal class...that helps rationalize such a purchase that gets upside down quickly.

(Twelve years of aircraft ownership makes me an expert at rationalization!)
CaptnCarl
AG
The time has come to part with my Piper Cherokee 180. The Cherokee has been a fantastic (affordable and simple) aircraft to build hours in as a beginner pilot.

Have so many memories in this plane. Probably the best memory was flying to Tuscaloosa with some buddies to see JFF BTHO the tide in 2012. Hate to see it go, but would like to see it go to someone getting into aviation. It is maroon too, so going to a fellow Aggie would be a plus.

Will not post price on here - but it will be less than a new Chevy Suburban. Call/text _ for more info. Aircraft is hangared at Odessa Schlemeyer Field, but I'm willing to deliver.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Thread bump, flew the T-6 solo today

Aero95
AG
Congrats!!! Where are you training? I flew thru two MOAs on Friday and got to see some T-6's in the wild. (One flight of two decided to halfway intercept but stayed high)
Gunny456
AG
This is correct. I have restored from ground up two aircraft. One was a L-2 Taylorcraft and the other was a Interstate L-6. Both WWII era L-Birds. What I "thought" I could do them for was always well under what reality was. I had the help of Hardy Cannon (now deceased) at Cannon Field in SA and did lots of the work myself with him watching.
To strip and recover a J-3 with Ceconite is very labor intensive and materials have gone sky high. The frame will probably need to be stripped and reprimed and painted with epoxy. Then the recover then the paint for the recover.
And when you have it torn down you will always find all the other bugs as well.
Ditto on the engine sitting that long.....not good for them.
The Piper L-4 of WWII was nothing but a military version of the J-3 Cub. I owned a L-4 for a year. The little 65 HP Continental is ok for two light people but if you put two 200-250 ole boys in one with a full tank of fuel on a hot Texas day it is very underpowered as density altitude can sneak up on you real quick.
The coolest bird is the Interstate L-6.....had a STC for it that allowed a Lycoming 0320 to be put on it and it made a great bird with flight characteristics that exceeded the Piper Super Cub. After WWII Interstate was sold to the Arctic Aircraft Company in Anchorage. They continued to build the L-6 airframe using either a Lycoming 0320 or 0360 (160 HP.) Called it the Arctic-Turn and it was a great bush plane that had a higher airspeed than the Super Cub and shorter take off and landing capabilities than the Super Cub as well.
There are only 5 L-6's left in flying condition in the U.S. Not many built during the war as it was produced with a Franklin 100HP geared engine that was a maintenance nightmare and the Army Air Corp did not purchase many.
But put a Lycoming 0320 on it and oh man!
If you ease the stick back on it real slow and pull the throttle to idle it will not break over into a full stall.....it will just kinda flutter down....really a safe bird for a tail dragger.
And only real pilots fly tail draggers!
Gunny456
AG
Nice looking bird man. I had a Piper Warrior for many years and wish I would have never sold it.
Again...nice looking bird...obviously well taken care off!
CanyonAg77
AG
Congrats!

And for those asking, the tail code is CB, so Columbus, MS.

It does not stand for Charlie Brown.

And Charlie, let me know if there's still a T-6 with "Race" on the cockpit. I don't know how often they change the name, but daughter was in the 41st and had her name on one for a while.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Like canyon said I'm in Columbus

Some IPs definitely let us fly a little more aggressively to visitors in the MOA ha I'm sure it's probably less fun on the other side

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.