Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

199,620 Views | 1394 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by CharlieBrown17
CaptnCarl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Certainly understand it can seem overwhelming, but just focus on one step at a time.

Your next step is to schedule a few hours with a CFI. Any CFI will do.
AgLA06
AG
I wish. I'm in Houston so not happening.

Seems really cool though.
AgLA06
AG
Sorry, wasn't directed at you personally. More figuring out private license / personally aircraft in general.
AgLA06
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Certainly understand it can seem overwhelming, but just focus on one step at a time.

Your next step is to schedule a few hours with a CFI. Any CFI will do.

Yah, I guess this is more like a private club kind of situation. Only way to really figure it out is to go directly to the source.

I'm in the GOOF (Ella and 43rd) in Houston. If any of you live / fly in the area, I guess I need to buy some beer and have y'all educate me on the big picture and what you would have wanted to know (other than let uncle Sam pay for your lessons) before you started down this path.
MaroonDontRun
AG
Quote:

Forgot to mention... Look up Airspeed Insurance before your next renewal. Parker is a 2-time Mooney owner and will find your best deal.
Thanks for the information and I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunately i just mailed my renewal check to Falcon last week.
MaroonDontRun
AG
I was a member of US Flight (based at Houston executive) which is a non-equity club but it was an overall pretty good experience.

Houston Flight Club

They now have 4 Piper Archers (I think) and 1 Piper Saratoga (all air conditioned).

Current rates are:
  • $200 initiation (non-refundable)
  • $205 / month
  • From $140 to $190 per hour (wet) - Archers
  • From $280 to $300 per hour (wet) - Saratoga

They do require renters insurance.

It was a good club because the planes were almost always available.

OldArmyBrent
AG
That's ideal. There are some in Dallas that are pretty good deals but have long waiting lists. RFC used to have 2 or 3 really nice bonanzas. I was in a club out of McKinney that got really bad about safety and maintenance before scheduling went to hell - I couldn't even get an airplane for a weekend 3 months out - but even they have a waiting list now.
Superdave1993
AG
Thanks to everyone that has chimed in. I will pull up the local club again and see exactly what they have now that I know a bit more. May have to start a regular liquor store run to get my CFI neighbor paid up.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Anyone else going to Oshkosh this year?
Aero95
AG
OldArmyBrent said:

Anyone else going to Oshkosh this year?

Yes! Going with the Mooney Caravan (mass arrival) again. Camping in the North 40 with our group.

Would love to meet other Ags that are going. We should be there Sat-Wed.
OldArmyBrent
AG
I usually arrive Saturday morning and stay as long as I can handle, so I'll be there all week. As long as they let me in, I'll be in the North 40.
CaptnCarl
AG
Lazy is an understatement. I've been following his scrappy build, and I'm left wondering how he is so knowledgeable about so many different subjects.

I'm convinced he has wayyyy more help (and budget) than his videos lead on. Scrappy is going to be one impressive aircraft.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Sharing a video of student pilot losing engine power.

AgLA06
AG
Saw that. As someone that has no idea what the procedure is supposed to be, he seemed to handle that really well.
fire09
AG
Flew the plane first and he walked away. Thats all that matters at the end of the day. Great work.
RC_57
AG
Brings back some memories

And sorry if I already posted this here...

So the year was 1994, I think late spring, early summer.

Took off from Conroe airport in my Star-Lite SL-1 (low wing, single passenger, tail dragger) and was just out buzzing around over Lake Conroe.

Was probably about 20, 30 minutes into my flight, a little over 1,000' feet up when the engine said "Good night".

No sputter, cough, last dying gasp, ...

Nothing.

Just dies.

So instincts kick in: settle into best glide rate, try to restart engine (nope, didn't), and look for place to land.

Now the good thing is, the plane had (key word) a low stall speed (about 28 mph) and could glide for quite a while.

So I had some time.

I thought to myself, nope, don't want to try landing in Walden, too many overhead lines.

Landing in the water with fixed gear is iffy. Many times the gear will catch the water and flip you over onto the lid.

And I lived in April Sound at the time, and there was a lot of undeveloped plots on the south end of the subdivision, near 105.

So that's what I aimed for.

Unfortunately, I wasn't quite high enough, and wasn't going to make it to that area.

So I headed towards hole #8, a long par 5 with a slight dogleg right (I was "playing" the hole backwards)

Everything was going well, and as I started flaring for the landing, looking to clear the area (yes, I see you on the tee, dropping your club and your jaw), everything going great.

Well, a last minute correction to raise out of my slip (no flaps on plane), my left wing tip hooked a mound on the side of the fairway, and I cartwheeled to a stop, flipped over onto the plane's canopy.

Next thing I remember, voices saying "You need to get out of there" (No sheyat). And they reach up and unsnap the 4-pt harness, which lets me promptly fall back onto my head (again)

Walked (stumbled) away a bit dazed, and ended up with about 5 stitches in my head.

Unfortunately the plane didn't fare as well. Totaled.

And it was a plane a dear friend and I had built over the years. I did get quite a few good flying hours out of it before this event though.

And no, I ain't, this isn't no MFBarnes story
BigBrother
AG
AgLA06 said:

Saw that. As someone that has no idea what the procedure is supposed to be, he seemed to handle that really well.
He nailed the emergency procedures, but he failed the pre-flight miserably.

AgLA06
AG
BigBrother said:

AgLA06 said:

Maybe I missed it as I watched this in several pieces while trying to get work done, but I never saw anything mentioned where he missed something in pre-flight.
Straight Outta Rehab
Granted, I'm a youtube pilot, but this was funny.

BigBrother
AG
AgLA06 said:

BigBrother said:

AgLA06 said:

Maybe I missed it as I watched this in several pieces while trying to get work done, but I never saw anything mentioned where he missed something in pre-flight.

In the description it says he ran out of fuel.
RC_57
AG
Oh yeah.

If anyone reading this thread was or knows someone that while boating on Lake Conroe in the early to mid-90's was taken by surprise when buzzed by a little red tail-dragger....

I'll deny it
AlaskanAg08
AG
I'm sure someone at the FSDO is looking up a statute of limitations right now lol!
AgLA06
AG
Thanks. That didn't show up on my phone.

Hopefully a faulty guage was to blame.
Quixote Ag
AG
Anybody know of any available hangar space in the Georgetown area?

I'm moving down in the next couple of weeks and need a place for my RV6 build.
Wilson, Jackie, RC, Fran, Sherm, Sumlin, Jimbo and now Elko...some of these things are not like the others...
CharlieBrown17
AG
Can't help you with that, but depending on your experience/time/etc look at the TangoFlight program in GISD. I know the guy that started it, real good dude.

They build a RV every year as part of the class. Almost entirely the kids doing the work with the program mentors helping out and making sure they're doing the critical stuff right. Real awesome program I'm only slightly mad started after I left.

https://www.tangoflight.org/
Quixote Ag
AG
Thanks. Check it out
Wilson, Jackie, RC, Fran, Sherm, Sumlin, Jimbo and now Elko...some of these things are not like the others...
Centerpole90
AG
TxAg20 said:

I've watched part of one Gryder video and couldn't stand him. I guess he's a professional troll? I think I'd rather read a National Enquirer article on a plane crash if that rag is even still around. They'd probably be more accurate than Gryder.
You're going to love this one.... Gryder throws a party for all his youtube buddies, the Aircraft Content Creators Awards, and in the midst of it he personally puts some guys 150 down in a cornfield when the flaps wouldn't retract. (nobody hurt) I guess we will have to wait for the probable cause. /puchline

OldArmyBrent
AG
Got to Oshkosh yesterday morning and it's busier than I've ever seen. I was down in Vintage this morning and they said they had already beaten their Saturday night airplane record by over 50%. Chairs on the rope line at 27 yesterday watching arrivals were the most I've ever seen. This is gonna be a good year. The Vans guys are also announcing something at 8am tomorrow. Hopefully it's the RV-15.
CanyonAg77
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

puts some guys 150 down in a cornfield when the flaps wouldn't retract
I'm just a buff of this stuff, inactive license, with barely over 100 hours total.

But damn, this seems like a really stupid, really preventable incident.
TxAg20
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

puts some guys 150 down in a cornfield when the flaps wouldn't retract
I'm just a buff of this stuff, inactive license, with barely over 100 hours total.

But damn, this seems like a really stupid, really preventable incident.

I can't wait to read the NTSB report on this. I hope they sent their Go Team since Gryder's MO is to paint them as incompetent.
Aero95
AG
I arrived Sunday morning in a flight of 48 Mooneys and am camping in the N40 Row 528.

It's gonna be a great show!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Gotta put a little show on at the international airport
OldArmyBrent
AG
Aero95 said:

I arrived Sunday morning in a flight of 48 Mooneys and am camping in the N40 Row 528.

It's gonna be a great show!

I'm in 524. Stop by the 182RG with the Gadsden flag in the cowl plug.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Y'all at Oshkosh go stop by Airbus

https://www.kitplanes.com/airbus-partners-with-tangoflight-to-build-rv-12s-and-mentor-students/?fbclid=IwAR0lppNWP8XDoHT8iOHw9KAw7LvriY_fIZDEn43v4E0l4QxdG-8gl3p75s0

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.