Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

199,618 Views | 1394 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by CharlieBrown17
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TxAg20 said:

Video is private. Was Dan the pilot, again?

He had to take some videos down, this is the update

CharlieBrown17
AG
If memory serves right one of the Altus refueling tracks starts there, goes SW and loops back to there.

The 46s refuel off the 135 and each other at Altus for training.
CanyonAg77
AG
With Amarillo's runway, we get a lot of military traffic. The plane spotters caught three B-1s shooting landings a few days ago. I've seen a few of the tankers in close formation, I even saw a C-5 getting gas over Canyon.

Coolest ever was in Red River NM nearly 30 years ago, heard jet noise, looked up, and a B-1 was refueling as they passed overhead.

Anyone who enjoys the plane spotter type of posts, here's their facebook page. I believe it is public view.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/128291860579641/
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah I'm still in that group you told me about over lunch years ago.

KAMA is an outbase for everyone out of Altus, the 17s don't make it there much but I know the 135 does
MaroonDontRun
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

TxAg20 said:

Video is private. Was Dan the pilot, again?

He had to take some videos down, this is the update

When the lights come on, the roaches scatter.

There are a bunch of folks don't like Dan Gryder but I love his take no prisoners attitude.
BMach
AG
Just logged my tenth hour this afternoon. We started pattern work today and let's just say there's plenty of room for improvement with my landings. I am definitely hooked!
fire09
AG
Right rudder! Aim centerline! Welcome to the club.
boredatwork08
AG
Finally got back in the cockpit after more than a month of bad weather and work schedule keeping me from training. T&Gs at KCLL. It was rough.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Who is instructing at KCLL these days? Gary Gandy still there?
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
boredatwork08
AG
He is! I flew with him once when I was getting started.
TX_COWDOC
AG
He's awesome. He taught me
How to fly. I need to dust off the headset and go up with him.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
BaitShack
AG
boredatwork08 said:

Coyotes on the runway!
allMondjoy
Aggie son considering 1st job flying commercially. Star Mariannas Tinian,Saipan, Rota Island hops along Marianas for 6 months cargo and charter.
Any advice from experiences.
Complaint Investigator
AG
There are a ton of little 135 cargo ops down in FL. Check out Cape Air - lots of hops up and down the coast and out in the Caribbean. 500 hours needed to start per their website. IBC flies old POS but there is a lot of flying from what I see when I'm flying. Mountain Air Cargo flies FedEx hops and will hire a 208 SIC at 800 hours.

Google C-208 jobs and a bunch will pop up. What are his total times and current certificates held?
allMondjoy
He is at 900hrs with multiple commercial certs. Goal is eventual airlines but trying to get array of experience required. Wish a good Ag could take him under pervebial wing!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Mil guy here so talking semi out of my ass.

But with ratings and 900 hours, I'd be taking whatever paid to fly right now. The quicker he can get to the 1500 or so the airlines want the better.
allMondjoy
CharlieBrown17 said:

But with ratings and 900 hours, I'd be taking whatever paid to fly right now. The quicker he can get to the 1500 or so the airlines want the better.
That's exactly why he is considering the Marianas gig. Lots of factors other than pay which ain't much.
This group has a lower buy out of training costs if leaving early and gives him some flight hours credit he will need in some things you can't get by flying right of ways or aerial survey work. This is passenger and cargo combined and maybe some night hours.
Russell Bradleys Toupee
BaitShack said:

boredatwork08 said:

Coyotes on the runway!
That brings back memories from the last century - doing flyovers to scare the coyotes from the city dump away before practicing "bounce-and-go's" at the Hearne airport (aka: federal portable housing storage facility). Flying that Cessna 150 out of Coulter - "Queer Dog".
average_joker
AG
allMondjoy said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

That's exactly why he is considering the Marianas gig. Lots of factors other than pay which ain't much.
This group has a lower buy out of training costs if leaving early and gives him some flight hours credit he will need in some things you can't get by flying right of ways or aerial survey work. This is passenger and cargo combined and maybe some night hours.

Current Airbus 320 FO for a legacy airline. I'd be happy to chat with him. Username at yahoo
allMondjoy
average_joker said:

allMondjoy said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Current Airbus 320 FO for a legacy airline. I'd be happy to chat with him. Username at yahoo
allMondjoy
Thx avg_joker! Will get him your contacts
CharlieBrown17
AG
More a question for the commercial guys in here.

Do airlines really care what you got your hours doing? Obviously the airframe matters but curious if they care if it's cargo/pax/mixed or instructing.

Once I make the leap, not really worried about getting hired just curious.
CanyonAg77
AG
I don't think they care, but that's third hand knowledge.

I will say that the fighter pilot in the family thinks her hours in a single seater should count more than a crewed aircraft with shared duties.

But I bet that's not the first time you've heard about a fighter pilot's ego
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah flying 1.1 to the moa and back and vectors only for instrument approaches really prepares you for class B airports and crossing the pond to deal with euro control
CanyonAg77
AG
Are you saying that airlines don't need people used to pulling 9Gs and experienced in ferreting out enemy radar?
CenterHillAg
AG
Anecdotally, 2 airline pilots I know say hands down the worst pilots they fly with are fighter pilots. Their theory is all that time flying single pilot desensitized their finesse, so they're rough on the controls and don't play well with another pilot in the cockpit. With the majority of my time being single pilot, I can confirm the desensitization and general disregard for the passengers experience.

With your military experience you'll have no problem getting hired. Get in and get your seniority # at a major, even with the chaos of the airlines you'll have a good career getting in as young as you are.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Something like that Canyon.

I hear the same Centerhill but also have flown with a few fighter jocks that came to heavies that were cool.

I'm not too worried about going straight to a legacy, pretty much all of our guys are getting out right at their commitment straight to one right now. But I've got a few years to go still, so that can always change.
CanyonAg77
AG
You are probably correct, and it reinforces why the AF trains pilots in two different tracks, with the crew guys training in the Beech bizjets
average_joker
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

More a question for the commercial guys in here.

Do airlines really care what you got your hours doing? Obviously the airframe matters but curious if they care if it's cargo/pax/mixed or instructing.

Once I make the leap, not really worried about getting hired just curious.
They used too. DoD pilots will always go to the top of the stack. However, now there's lots of other HR influences. IP time is always highly regarded as well.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah I'll be your standard white male DoD guy once it's my time.

Sitting at 800-900 primary/secondary in the 17 right now. 1500 total time overall.

Over 90% of my time for the last 6 years I owe the DoD will be IP time though. Going to instructor school this fall/winter.

Funnily enough, the new DoD baby leave policy of 12 weeks for both parents is going to be the nail in the coffin regarding my retention as a mil pilot. Finally had the time to sit down and read on how the transition to civ is and reach out to some guys I know who have made the leap recently
CanyonAg77
AG
Curious, is the leave policy too few weeks? My Favorite Pilot would have loved to keep flying Vipers, but the AF was not doing a good job keeping her and her engineer husband at the same base
CharlieBrown17
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Curious, is the leave policy too few weeks? My Favorite Pilot would have loved to keep flying Vipers, but the AF was not doing a good job keeping her and her engineer husband at the same base

Ha I meant the opposite. I haven't been not moving this long since I started pilot training in 2019. So it gave me time to sit down and look at options, what airlines are where and what they pay, how to transfer over to that side, etc
average_joker
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Ha I meant the opposite. I haven't been not moving this long since I started pilot training in 2019. So it gave me time to sit down and look at options, what airlines are where and what they pay, how to transfer over to that side, etc
Where do you want to live? Some airlines (Delta for sure) are also doing pre separation interviews and scheduling class dates (new hire date) around your last day in uniform.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah Delta is hiring 2 years before retirement and 1 year before non retirement separation. I think United is similar.

Right now hoping to rush a Charleston reserve unit and commuting to the NE for Delta or United. In a perfect world obviously.
TxAg20
AG
I saw a B-29 fly over Palo Duro Canyon twice on Saturday. I was down in the canyon riding mountain bikes and couldn't tell if it was Doc or FiFi. I figure CanyonAg saw it if he was around. Such a unique and awesome sound.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.