*****Official Fallout 4 Thread*****

169,682 Views | 1514 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Claude!
MGS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
(somebody make some Texas A&M Football Armor!!!!)

And put it on the Super Mutant Suiciders!
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Just re-started the game using survival mode. Impressed myself by taking out the Deathclaw on the first try. Granted, I ran around like a little girl taking pot shots and running into buildings, but it died. But then I died a few minutes after saving when I stumbled into a raider and his dog. Freaking dog one-shot me.
I've started over on survival too. Its a whole lot slower approach to the game, but I am enjoying it. Settlement building is critical. I've got Preston and the survivors back to Sanctuary, and it is coming along, but I need more food sources to really get me going.

IS there anything you can put water in that is reusable? Bottles seem to disappear when you drink the water out of them,

Haven't found anything yet. I built a large water purifier, so I'm hoping to get excess from that.
Yeah, I just did that too. I think it will work out. IF not, I guess I'll just build some more.

Wanted to follow up on this one. After about level 10, I started to just have a lot of excess, so it wasn't really a worry.

Honestly, starting to feel like the only thing that sucks about survival is the lack of fast-travel. Weight requirements aren't really a big deal, just makes your settlement growth slower. But with lack of fast travel, settlements aren't that big of a focus. I just have a handful of critical ones and then have links between them to share resources. I thought saving only being from sleep would be a huge deal, but after a while, realized that there are beds everywhere. Just have to remember to use them. I paid more attention to what I was engaging, and really had no issues after that. I'm level 21 and just starting to be willing to engage super mutants and mirelurks. Ran into them when I was under level 10, and I got slammed. Now, they're not a big deal. Sneak build is the way to go.
CoolaidWade
AG
Ok.... Far Harbor is great. Was having a blast until one certain quest..... It sucks so bad. I actually stopped playing a few days ago.

My problem is I dont have much experience with the workshop and creating stuff.... I'm level 67 and other then upgrading weapons and sanctuary a little I skipped all that.

You'll understand more once you hit that quest.
MGS
Are you talking about the 'unlock the memory' quest? That one is awful, I felt like I was playing a bad rip-off of Portal.
spieg12
AG
The memory quest is actually really simple. You just move blocks around. What most people don't realize is you can store blocks as you come across them instead of having to carry them around one by one. Plus only the first three are required for the quest. The last two are just for extra stuff.
AliasMan02
AG
So, my 360 looks to have died, on which I was playing Fallout 3... I know, so far behind the times...

Rather than port my saves over to the One to keep playing, decided to jump into Fallout 4. Quite a different experience! Didn't realize there were no skills, so my high Intelligence was pretty stupid as a starting point, but upping other stats seems like it will be a pretty quick adjustment.

That first Deathclaw was a beating, and I feel like the fusion core thing for the power armor is gonna be super annoying.

I assume I can wait on any DLC for a while, right? Nothing you wished you'd had in the early game?
CoolaidWade
AG
quote:
So, my 360 looks to have died, on which I was playing Fallout 3... I know, so far behind the times...

Rather than port my saves over to the One to keep playing, decided to jump into Fallout 4. Quite a different experience! Didn't realize there were no skills, so my high Intelligence was pretty stupid as a starting point, but upping other stats seems like it will be a pretty quick adjustment.

That first Deathclaw was a beating, and I feel like the fusion core thing for the power armor is gonna be super annoying.

I assume I can wait on any DLC for a while, right? Nothing you wished you'd had in the early game?
No...... So much to do in the regular game first. I would level myself to 40 or 50 before buying the DLC. The game is huge. It's my first open world game so I played for two months straight just amazed at it all.

Plus there are some creatures in Far Harbor that kick your ass even at level 60+. Deathclaws are cake compared to them.
CoolaidWade
AG
quote:
Are you talking about the 'unlock the memory' quest? That one is awful, I felt like I was playing a bad rip-off of Portal.
yes... I quit pretty early in that quest but will just go and knock it out. If I can't just knock it out in about thirty minutes then I'm going to youtube the solution. I've never done that but this level is so annoying that I don't care about it and it's currently the only quest available. I'm pretty sure I have gone as far as I can.

Looks like I can't complete the game without doing it.
CDub06
AG
Oh hi. I'm late to this party.

Played "The Battle of Bunker Hill" last night. What a terrible quest.

All of these factions suck.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
Wanted to follow up on this one. After about level 10, I started to just have a lot of excess, so it wasn't really a worry.

Honestly, starting to feel like the only thing that sucks about survival is the lack of fast-travel. Weight requirements aren't really a big deal, just makes your settlement growth slower. But with lack of fast travel, settlements aren't that big of a focus. I just have a handful of critical ones and then have links between them to share resources. I thought saving only being from sleep would be a huge deal, but after a while, realized that there are beds everywhere. Just have to remember to use them. I paid more attention to what I was engaging, and really had no issues after that. I'm level 21 and just starting to be willing to engage super mutants and mirelurks. Ran into them when I was under level 10, and I got slammed. Now, they're not a big deal. Sneak build is the way to go.
Up to level 38 now. Lost over an hour last night because I forgot to save. Got cocky and took on raiders that were a little stronger than I was used to. Died rather quickly. The lack of saving is a double edged sword sometimes. On the one hand, you sometimes play longer so you can finish the mission and save. On the other, you throw your computer into a wall because you forgot to save, and quit in frustration.

And definitely taking advantage of settlements more and more. Getting community leader changes things a lot. Start getting settlements everywhere and doing supply lines to them all allows you to offload junk a lot more. I only have 3 settlements I really care about right now (Sanctuary, Hangman's Alley, and The Castle), where I've got vendors and crafting tables.

Another nice thing I didn't realize they did is that they significantly increased the respawn rate of enemies. In the past, after a day or two of in-game time, they'd be back. Now it's weeks of time before they came back. Makes travelling a lot easier, since you can just run through areas you've already cleared without worrying about it.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:

Yeah, it's a good one in theory, but if you haven't chosen a side, it's a little wonky. You just walk through the entire thing, looting the dead. That probably would have been the best spot to force you to choose between RR/Institution/BoS. Whichever contact you meet to start the mission it is the faction you choose.
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, it's a good one in theory, but if you haven't chosen a side, it's a little wonky. You just walk through the entire thing, looting the dead. That probably would have been the best spot to force you to choose between RR/Institution/BoS. Whichever contact you meet to start the mission it is the faction you choose.

Yeah, that was way out of place. The side I ended up choosing was the one I was mowing down on bunker hill. Or at least have dialogue around " Hey my bad for killing half your organization over there, you know being cryogenically frozen can leave you a bit confused. So....my bad"
CDub06
AG
I'm still waiting for the diplomatic approach. I want these guys to talk it out.

And...

********SPOILER*********

If Father wants me to succeed him as leader of the Institute, it would be cool if anyone in the place told me what the heck they are doing. It's all very ambiguous.

********END SPOILER*********
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
If Father wants me to succeed him as leader of the Institute, it would be cool if anyone in the place told me what the heck they are doing. It's all very ambiguous.
We're past spoiler warnings at this point. You'll find out the purpose of the Institute a little later.
CDub06
AG
I figured. But who knows who would stumble upon this. The loose "objectives" of the group aggravate me. I make spreadsheets when I'm buying shoes. I need facts for big decisions like this...
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
I figured. But who knows who would stumble upon this. The loose "objectives" of the group aggravate me. I make spreadsheets when I'm buying shoes. I need facts for big decisions like this...
True. I was more along the lines of "You're willing to kill people to plant your replica synths to complete your objectives, I'm going to put you as Lawful Evil in the alignment column,"

Personally, I think it'd be fun to go full on Raider or Gunner alignment, but I think the coding to affect the world change would sort of suck.

My first play-through I went with Railroad and Minutemen. I can't ever seem to choose the bad path. Second one I did BoS. Funny, for being a General in charge of the Minutemen, I sure seem to get bossed around a lot.
maverick2076
http://epicstream.com/news/E3-2016-Bethesda-Reveals-New-Fallout-4-DLC

New DLC incoming. I'm pretty excited about the thought of building my own Vault.
wee_ag
AG
This makes me happy... Hellooooo Rube Goldburge Machines!

Pman17
AG
NUKA WORLD IS OUT!

Downloading on my Xbox One
KidDoc
AG
Finally bought this on sale after finishing all the Witcher 3 DLC and enjoying it. Only lvl 9 and just had my butt handed to me by some super mutants so going to wander around a bit more and look for duct tape to upgrade my sniper and other rifles.

I see most people used the dog companion but I find myself enjoying Codworth as a companion. Anyone else use him or just he start to suck due to lack of upgrades?

The settlement menu took forever for me to figure out the UI sucks (on PC) but I'm starting to get it now. Not really my style I'm more of the story & fight stuff but I'll dabble a bit in settlements I'm sure.

My favorite games are Witcher 3, ME2&3 so I prefer story based stuff more than open world so I probably won't put 200 hours into FO4 but it is pretty engaging.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AliasMan02
AG
Had a question about the endgame. I'm on my first playthrough and an wondering how much more there is to go.

Currently I'm on good terms with all four factions, but I feel the choice coming up. I've found Shaun and run a mission or two for the Institute. All side quests have been played.

Am I halfway through? A quarter? 90 percent? It's hard to tell in a game where I spend most of my time building and side questing.

Also hard to look up answers without spoiling things for myself.
Wildmen03
AG
Are you including DLC with that?

Based on the spoiler tag you are 90% done. It's really obvious when you have to make your choice and once you do you are very close to the end.

The reason I asked about DLC is that they add many hours to the game, though separate from the main story line.
AliasMan02
AG
Wildmen03 said:

Are you including DLC with that?

Based on the spoiler tag you are 90% done. It's really obvious when you have to make your choice and once you do you are very close to the end.

The reason I asked about DLC is that they add many hours to the game, though separate from the main story line.

No DLC for me (so far at least). Thanks for the info.
Eliminatus
AG
Just like Skyrim, I was a Day One player and never came close to beating the game. Probably had ten characters all told. Once I figured out the settlement system was a complete waste of time and that Idiot Savant was a game breaker I walked away and that was that.

For some damn reason got a hair and reinstalled and started up again for the first time in like 7 years. In the past week I am now about 30 hours in and actually progressing. Still have my gripes but somehow still entertained enough to keep going.

Bethesda games are my favorite. I still think, to this day, Skyrim is the best game ever made. (PC master race of course). Even the bugs are cheeky and lovable. "Oh youuuuu!" As you wag your finger at them and laugh as your horse takes flight 100 ft into the air and then starts swimming.

Still haven't beaten Skyrim or any other Bethesda game in fact. Wayyy to ADHD I think. But I'm trucking in FO4 here and feeling it. This may be the one to end that curse for me. I am going to be sooooooo mad if it is f'ing FO4 that does it though. Arguably their weakest game pre Starfield and it's probably the one that I finally beat.

Hate myself.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Eliminatus said:

Just like Skyrim, I was a Day One player and never came close to beating the game. Probably had ten characters all told. Once I figured out the settlement system was a complete waste of time and that Idiot Savant was a game breaker I walked away and that was that.

For some damn reason got a hair and reinstalled and started up again for the first time in like 7 years. In the past week I am now about 30 hours in and actually progressing. Still have my gripes but somehow still entertained enough to keep going.

Bethesda games are my favorite. I still think, to this day, Skyrim is the best game ever made. (PC master race of course). Even the bugs are cheeky and lovable. "Oh youuuuu!" As you wag your finger at them and laugh as your horse takes flight 100 ft into the air and then starts swimming.

Still haven't beaten Skyrim or any other Bethesda game in fact. Wayyy to ADHD I think. But I'm trucking in FO4 here and feeling it. This may be the one to end that curse for me. I am going to be sooooooo mad if it is f'ing FO4 that does it though. Arguably their weakest game pre Starfield and it's probably the one that I finally beat.

Hate myself.
If you're playing PC, install Sim Settlements 2.
n_touch
The original Fallout is free on Amazon Prime games
Eliminatus
AG
n_touch said:

I'll have to check it out. I have it for Steam but it was an unoptimized mess for modern machines, especially ultrawides. To the point of being unplayable.

Would love to delve into it though. I consider Skyrim the best game ever but FONV is just a hair below and when it comes to the universes, FO wins out for me prettily handily. The amount of hours I have spent watching FO lore videos on YouTube is probably unhealthy…
AtlAg05
AG
What makes FONV better than FO4? I've only Ed played 4 and have always heard that NV was the best, so I'm curious.
BadMoonRisin
AG
For me personally, Fallout 3 and NV are better than 4 because your actions had consequences far more often. If you made a mistake, there's a chance you would be rewarded and penalized for it later in the game -- siding with different factions, killing someone for fun -- things mattered. The atmospheres were also really well done, one being the mohave desert and the other a completely destroyed washington, d.c.

FO4 was a little lazy in this department, and I really liked the game.
Eliminatus
AG
AtlAg05 said:

What makes FONV better than FO4? I've only Ed played 4 and have always heard that NV was the best, so I'm curious.
The storytelling and the player options. FONV and everything previous did not always have the most polished gameplay. What they had was incredible stories. The decision trees in every scenario were varied and have wide ranging consequences. Which meant you were left to decide the fate of everyone in the game. And that is awesome. The game was legitimately morally grey and allowed you, the player, to sculpt out what you wanted.

FO4 does not. It's horrendous honestly in that department. Choices are left to a grouping of four. Often labeled "sarcastic" or "Insulting". They dumbed down the dialogue and resulting consequences sooooo much it is honestly hard to put into words. There is SOME ambiguity but it is so heavyhandedly shoved into your face which way you "should" go. And the worst thing about it is that the main story line and path down it, legit kinda sucks.

FO4 shines in actual gameplay. It's not quite FPS polish of movement and gunplay but it is not far either. Far more than the previous. But in doing so, it feels like they sacrificed depth and storytelling. Pretty much universally agreed upon actually I believe.

FONV has an incredible story and the game map just feels....organic. If that makes any sense. You get to choose the fates of every faction in that game and the interactions doing so are top notch. You actually feel like you are the one directing the game. FO4 does not do that. You are along for the scripted ride for the majority of it.

IMO of course.

Oyster DuPree
AG
n_touch said:

Aggie_Journalist
AG
FONV also had the best side vaults in the whole series. Just about every time you find one to explore, you're in for a real treat.

+ 1 to the sentiment that NV has better story telling across the board. It's a fantastic game.
Thanks and gig'em
cupcakesprinkles
AG
You guys gave me the itch I have to scratch so I just re-installed FONV. I've never come close to beating it but remembered I did enjoy the game.
Eliminatus
AG
Finally beat my very first Bethesda DLC!!

Wrapped up Far Harbor last night and gotta say, it was fantastic. The writing on it was on par with the games of old and maybe even surpasses quite a few of those. A true moral dilemma decision that actually leaves the player full control of a multi faction contention with heavy consequences of whatever path you choose. It left me genuinely contemplative and morally unsure. I was even thinking about it outside the game, both during and after. After the closing act concluded I just sat back and was like "Damn. That was intense but so good".

MORE OF THIS PLEASE!!

The damned thing is, is that if anything, it highlights the degradation of storytelling of the rest of the game. Oh well. I'll keep grinding it out.

Will also add the aesthetic of Far Harbor was top notch and if they ever got that exact team back together, they could legitimately make a fantastic horror survival game IMO.
YouBet
AG
If you are looking for a story rich FPS, go check out Metroid Exodus. I got this for $6 on Steam last week and it is stellar.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.