*** 2017 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread ***

104,925 Views | 1638 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 98Ag99Grad
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You're too optimistic

You need some realism.

Being happy with "1 and done" if you have the #1 seed is loser talk.

The cowboys fought hard, earned all the advantages in the NFC, easiest path to the Super Bowl, came out flat and choked hard.

I was pissed. Not a good season.

Reginald Cousins
S
By all means let's have "fun seasons" and be excited with Bortles. Did you watch Bortles in the playoffs?

They're winning.

It's not because of him.
MooreTrucker
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

You're too optimistic

You need some realism.

Being happy with "1 and done" if you have the #1 seed is loser talk.

The cowboys fought hard, earned all the advantages in the NFC, easiest path to the Super Bowl, came out flat and choked hard.

I was pissed. Not a good season.

Ah, the old "realism" dig. Followed by the "loser talk" shot.

Y'all are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 13-3 is an amazing season. The postseason ended too soon on a basically miracle, but that shouldn't diminish how much fun we had getting there.
MooreTrucker
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Rossko said:

ApachePilot said:

Macarthur said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Macarthur said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

To get all that hype and lose in your first playoff game is a colossal failure.

I don't know any other way to tell you.

There are lots of really good QBs that lost in their first playoff game.
And then looked terrible the next year? As in the regular season?

I'll listen.

I guess we need to define 'terrible'.

Granted, Dak took a step back, but he was still about 63% comp and almost 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio. I wouldn't call that terrible for a second year QB.

He was terrible. He limited most his throws to check downs. So % completion is misleading. If you watched him throw he was way off target often. He also regressed badly after Zeke went out. I'd like to see his 2nd half season numbers.

Dak most definitely played at a lower level in 2017 but was not "terrible." If you want to see terrible QB play from 2017, look up some film on Nathan Peterman.

Wrong. That's "all-time-bad".

Dak was certainly terrible in the 2nd half of the season compared to the qb play we had grown accustomed to.
That's the key to your agruing right there. Of course it looked terrible compared to what we had. We had Dak in one of the more impressive rookie years ever, following several years of Tony Romo, statistically (and fun-wise) one of the best QBs the Cowboys have had.

The bar was pretty hig, and Dak fell short. Hardly terrible, though. And you have to blame the OL (and coaches). Most of his "terrible" was playing nervous and scared of getting creamed by big DEs every play.
Rossko
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

By all means let's have "fun seasons" and be excited with Bortles. Did you watch Bortles in the playoffs?

They're winning.

It's not because of him.

In no way am I defending Bortles as good. I was using him as the bad end of average and Derek Carr as the good end, just saying Dak is in the average group with those guys for this year.

I'm in the group that considers losing home playoff games unacceptable but I'm not going to overreact and say Dak is terrible. He's had two different seasons and either one of them could be his norm, we will find out next year.
Reginald Cousins
S
Rossko said:

Reginald Cousins said:

They're winning.

It's not because of him.

In no way am I defending Bortles as good. I was using him as the bad end of average and Derek Carr as the good end, just saying Dak is in the average group with those guys for this year.

I'm in the group that considers losing home playoff games unacceptable but I'm not going to overreact and say Dak is terrible. He's had two different seasons and either one of them could be his norm, we will find out next year.
Prepare Uranus.
Rossko
AG
dave94
AG
So I'm at Bottled Blonde in Deep Ellum and Zeke's here. Just chilling with a couple of hot blonde chicks.
Grapesoda2525
Rossko said:

The Philadelphia game was an eye opener as well.

Philly won yesterday with a backup QB while Garrett and company got owned last year by the packers at full strength in the same round / situation.

I wish we would change coaches. We never win games by out coaching anyone and the team seems to always lose the coaching battle.
DannyDuberstein
AG
dave94 said:

So I'm at Bottled Blonde in Deep Ellum and Zeke's here. Just chilling with a couple of hot blonde chicks.

Hope he gets written waivers later
PooDoo
AG
Saints got Jeff Heath'd.
Grapesoda2525
It's a joke that guy started the whole year at safety.

Defense still has a lot of holes to fill and need to retain Demarcus Lawrence.
jtstanley4621
AG
I really legitimately think that Zimmer would have come and been the HC here. Instead we're stuck with Garrett.

I actually think that New Orleans was maybe more talented overall, but the Vikings are a team that gets every ounce of potential out of their players. Zimmer is a great coach. Garrett.... not so much
Ag12thman
AG
Yep.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Cowboys cut sendejo... Terrence Williams got a $19MM deal.

Let that sink in.
PooDoo
AG
We got Campo instead...
BMX Bandit
AggieFanatic09 said:

Let that sink in.

That's some strong hindsight criticism there
Ag Natural
AG
BMX Bandit said:

AggieFanatic09 said:

Let that sink in.

That's some strong hindsight criticism there
Yeah, the Cowboys also didn't resign Terrence Newman 10 years ago. Now he and Barry Church are in conference championship games. The humanity!

Rudyjax
AG
Zimmer was a position coach then and didn't become DC until Campo was made head coach.

He was DC under Parcells and then left because of the 3-4 4-3 thing and then went to the bengals.
jtstanley4621
AG
I meant that I think Zimmer would have taken the Cowboys head spot after he was done with the Bengals.

He accepted the Vikings position for the 2014 season. Cowboys were coming off of their third consecutive 8-8 season under Garrett. We didn't make the move and ended up going 12-4 that next season but still. I think Zimmer would have come here to be the HC. I am positive that he and the staff he would have assembled would have gotten a lot more out of our players than Garrett et al.

Just imagine Garrett with Keenum at QB this season.
corleoneAg99
AG
Zimmer wouldn't have coached for Jerry, I'd bet. Especially after being in CIN.

Think Jerry let's him get away with benching a first round pick at WR essentially for an entire season because he wasn't doing **** in practice?

Nah.
Rudyjax
AG
I've been saying since the first Hard Knocks with the Cowboys Zimmer is going to be a great head coach. I've always been a huge fan.
jtstanley4621
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

Zimmer wouldn't have coached for Jerry, I'd bet. Especially after being in CIN.

Think Jerry let's him get away with benching a first round pick at WR essentially for an entire season because he wasn't doing **** in practice?

Nah.
Yeah... And therein lies the problem with the Cowboys franchise IMO. Jerry just can't help himself and let the coach coach. Which is why Garrett is Jerry's favorite. He'll do whatever Jerry tells him to.
PooDoo
AG
I think the Cowboys main problem over the years has been the lack of competition for playing time. Guys get labeled as starters and it's like it's written in stone.

I couldn't believe it when Byron Jones got benched for Frazier and Heath. When is the last time that has happened since Jimmy and Tuna?

They need people fighting for jobs at every position, including QB and HB.
BassCowboy33
There was a good segment on The Ticket this morning about not taking Jalen Ramsey. Basically what most of us thought going into the draft that Ramsey is a better long-term investment. What has surprised them is how quickly he's become the best corner in the NFL. He was also named first team All-Pro this morning. This one is going to burn for years to come.
PooDoo
AG
You think he'd be 1st team All Pro on the Cowboys?
Thin DL and no safety help.
DannyDuberstein
AG
DL got quality pressure this year. Would have been a good combo
expresswrittenconsent
So we need
TE coach
QB coach
ST coach
LB coach
DB coach
WR coach
Demosthenes81
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

So we need
TE coach
QB coach
ST coach
LB coach
DB coach
WR coach
You forgot

Head Coach
General Manager
98Ag99Grad
AG
Quote:

WR coach
Read Miles Austin interviewed recently.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.