The Collapsing Market for Used EVs

17,112 Views | 210 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by hph6203
captkirk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Buying a new electric vehicle is like buying a wedding ring. It's expensive upfront, but not worth much when the relationship ends. That is suddenly becoming a huge problem for E.V. manufacturers, because without a secondary market for E.V.s, the cost of ownership is much higher, providing yet another reason for the car-buying public to reject "the electric vehicle transition."

The market for used E.V.s is crashing as consumers have quickly come to realize that electric vehicles have a short lifespan compared to internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles and hybrids. The lithium-ion batteries in E.V.s have a useful life of about 10 years, and with the cost of a replacement battery likely to be in the five-figures, battery-replacement-time for an E.V. pretty much means that it's time for the car to be scrapped. E.V. manufacturers generally provide an 8-year battery warranty, but beyond that, battery failure effectively means the vehicle is a total loss, albeit one without insurance to cover the loss. Therefore, owning an E.V. pushing its 10th birthday means you own a car that could suddenly become worthless.

With E.V.s rapidly depreciating to a value of $0 as their batteries age, consumers naturally don't want to find themselves in the position of trying to sell a 6 or 7-year old E.V. that has little value due to its useful life being almost over. This, of course, compels them not to want to purchase a 3 or 4-year old E.V., which in turn makes it difficult for the original owner to sell his E.V. Ultimately, this depresses the entire market for new E.V.s since there isn't a solid secondary market. Beyond the imminent battery death, there is also battery degradation, which makes the already limited range of an E.V. even more limited after a few years, which also repels potential buyers. Degradation is so bad that Tesla only warranties 70 percent charge capacity on its 8-year battery warranty....

How bad is the collapse of used E.V. prices? From late 2022 to late 2023, the average price of a used E.V. declined by 33 percent. Overall used car prices fell by 5.1 percent over the same period, a number that would have been smaller had it not included used E.V.s along with ICE vehicles. From a recent article in The Autopian: "Black Book predicts the average 3-year-old vehicle in October 2023 held 66 percent of its original value…" By contrast, "The average 3-year-old EV, however, only held 49 percent of its original value in October 2023."
https://the-pipeline.org/the-collapsing-market-for-used-evs/
nortex97
AG
In before "But the batteries are guaranteed for 8 years."
Logos Stick
1. Tesla's don't have that issue.
2. People should be smarter and know those things before they buy an EV

Did I do it right?
DallasAg 94
captkirk
AG
EV owner in year 7 of ownership

sanangelo
AG
Used Teslas seem pretty pricey on Car Gurus.

I thought I could get a deal when I read this thread.

San Angelo LIVE!
https://sanangelolive.com/
WoMD
Logos Stick said:

2. People should be smarter and know those things before they buy an EV

California definitely knew these things before forcing complete compliance by banning sales of new ICE vehicles soon.
sanangelo
AG
Here are 8-year-old Teslas. Still holding value.

San Angelo LIVE!
DrEvazanPhD
sanangelo said:

Is there a way to see how many have actually sold?
WoMD
DallasAg 94 said:

You can't sell a used computer.

EVs were touted as computers on wheels.

Why would anyone think the used EV would retain value?!

I have a stack of used laptops that have no value.

My phone battery might be decent for 4-5 years, then goes off a cliff. At that point it is garbage and replaced. How anyone who has ever owned a cell phone doesn't equate that with electric car batteries makes no damn sense.
sanangelo
AG
And... 10-year-old Teslas. Pricey.

San Angelo LIVE!
Psycho Bunny
I want to see chaos in America. My vote will be for Harris.
GAC06
AG
What is the failure rate of batteries? Merely stating the length of the warranty and the possible cost of replacement doesn't mean much. ICE vehicles have a warranty that expires and engines and transmissions are also expensive. It doesn't mean all these vehicles explode when they're out of warranty.
DrEvazanPhD
sanangelo said:

Are model S over 100k new?
sanangelo
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

sanangelo said:

I just looked on Car Gurus to see if the advertising aligns with the contents of the OP's quoted article. Apparently not. I have no idea what is selling or not selling. Hertz just dumped all of their EVs so I guess we can keep count of the EVs on sale at the Hertz used car website.
San Angelo LIVE!
Gator92
AG
I spent most of today chasing electrical gremlins in my son's 96 F150. It has 200K. Cleaned the battery cables and a bunch of grounds. Has an aftermarket alarm w/ starter interruption. Turns out the ground on the alarm needed grounding.

Thing is almost 30 y/o and back on the road.

Try to tell me that buying an EV is better for the environment than keeping this old girl on the road...
GAC06
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

sanangelo said:

75-90 now. Fully optioned over 100k. 120k early on. The drastic drop in the new price probably didn't help resale values for the early S's
captkirk
AG
sanangelo said:

Buy with confidence, then
YouBet
AG
The Tesla Model S first came out in 2012 so we are just now at the first end of life cycle for these cars. These asking prices are meaningless unless they sell.

Considering what we know about these batteries and the fact that we really don't have any data at scale to know what will happen then would have to be a moron to buy one of these cars.
aggiez03
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

sanangelo said:

The price of the 2024 Tesla Model S starts at $76,630 and goes up to $91,630

The price of the 2024 Chevrolet Corvette starts at $69,995 and goes up to $86,645 depending on the trim and options

On KBB, 2016 Chevy Corvettes are $44-48K
On KBB, 2014 Chevy Corvettes are $38K

So a new Tesla is about the same price as a Corvette, but worth half as much 8-10 years later.

aggiez03
AG
Also, based on what is posted by SanAngelo, it looks like 2014 and 2016 Teslas are roughly the same price which tells me the dealerships are most likely trying to recover trade-in value.

Many dealerships cannot lower the price below a certain number or percentage, so what they do is give you more for your trade in. No reason for two the same car two years apart to be roughly the same unless there is a floor.

Also, just cause they are asking $20K for a 10 year old vehicle, doesn't mean it sold for that. There still is a certain 'cool factor' in owning a Tesla, so that will artificially inflate the value as well.
Ag with kids
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

You can't sell a used computer.

EVs were touted as computers on wheels.

Why would anyone think the used EV would retain value?!

I have a stack of used laptops that have no value.
I'll give you $20 for the stack.

Shoulda bought a Mac
Ag with kids
AG
sanangelo said:

Used Teslas seem pretty pricey on Car Gurus.

I thought I could get a deal when I read this thread.

That 2019 Model 3 in the top right retailed for $56190 in 2019...

To further that example, in 2019 a Dodge Hellcat was $60695 and now retails for around $53000...
one safe place
I am going to start looking at EVs when they run on four AA batteries.
Ag with kids
AG
GAC06 said:

What is the failure rate of batteries? Merely stating the length of the warranty and the possible cost of replacement doesn't mean much. ICE vehicles have a warranty that expires and engines and transmissions are also expensive. It doesn't mean all these vehicles explode when they're out of warranty.
No...but, the likelihood of failure goes way up. Batteries DO have a lifetime.

It's one thing to buy an ICE car that is 10 years old with 150K miles on it and know you'll have to replace the alternator and may the power steering pump in a few years. That will cost 5% of what you're paying for the vehicle.

It's another to know you'll probably have to replace the battery that will cost 75% of the vehicle.
kb2001
AG
sanangelo said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

sanangelo said:

I just looked on Car Gurus to see if the advertising aligns with the contents of the OP's quoted article. Apparently not. I have no idea what is selling or not selling. Hertz just dumped all of their EVs so I guess we can keep count of the EVs on sale at the Hertz used car website.
Those prices are 25-30% of what they cost new. That's not what I consider holding value. For comparison, my 2015 ICE SUV is valued at about 60% of what it cost me new.

Looks like your searches proved the article to be accurate more than anything. Buy one of those, plus another $20k for a battery replacement, and it seems to compare pretty well.
Urban Ag
AG
GAC06 said:

Actually it does. I've owned a lot of vehicles in my life and I've never had to repair anything north of maybe $3500. $10k+ for a new battery system? And the battery will fail at some point
F that. Deal killer
Sharpshooter
AG
captkirk said:

Quote:

Buying a new electric vehicle is like buying a wedding ring. It's expensive upfront, but not worth much when the relationship ends. That is suddenly becoming a huge problem for E.V. manufacturers, because without a secondary market for E.V.s, the cost of ownership is much higher, providing yet another reason for the car-buying public to reject "the electric vehicle transition."

The market for used E.V.s is crashing as consumers have quickly come to realize that electric vehicles have a short lifespan compared to internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles and hybrids. The lithium-ion batteries in E.V.s have a useful life of about 10 years, and with the cost of a replacement battery likely to be in the five-figures, battery-replacement-time for an E.V. pretty much means that it's time for the car to be scrapped. E.V. manufacturers generally provide an 8-year battery warranty, but beyond that, battery failure effectively means the vehicle is a total loss, albeit one without insurance to cover the loss. Therefore, owning an E.V. pushing its 10th birthday means you own a car that could suddenly become worthless.

With E.V.s rapidly depreciating to a value of $0 as their batteries age, consumers naturally don't want to find themselves in the position of trying to sell a 6 or 7-year old E.V. that has little value due to its useful life being almost over. This, of course, compels them not to want to purchase a 3 or 4-year old E.V., which in turn makes it difficult for the original owner to sell his E.V. Ultimately, this depresses the entire market for new E.V.s since there isn't a solid secondary market. Beyond the imminent battery death, there is also battery degradation, which makes the already limited range of an E.V. even more limited after a few years, which also repels potential buyers. Degradation is so bad that Tesla only warranties 70 percent charge capacity on its 8-year battery warranty....

How bad is the collapse of used E.V. prices? From late 2022 to late 2023, the average price of a used E.V. declined by 33 percent. Overall used car prices fell by 5.1 percent over the same period, a number that would have been smaller had it not included used E.V.s along with ICE vehicles. From a recent article in The Autopian: "Black Book predicts the average 3-year-old vehicle in October 2023 held 66 percent of its original value…" By contrast, "The average 3-year-old EV, however, only held 49 percent of its original value in October 2023."
https://the-pipeline.org/the-collapsing-market-for-used-evs/

Where did you get lost?
Psycho Bunny
Ag with kids said:

GAC06 said:

No...but, the likelihood of failure goes way up. Batteries DO have a lifetime.

It's one thing to buy an ICE car that is 10 years old with 150K miles on it and know you'll have to replace the alternator and may the power steering pump in a few years. That will cost 5% of what you're paying for the vehicle.

It's another to know you'll probably have to replace the battery that will cost 75% of the vehicle.
Rebuilt the transmission on my 2010 Altima. Cost $3499, I now have 250k miles on my car. If I can get another 100k out of it, I will be happy.
I want to see chaos in America. My vote will be for Harris.
agent-maroon
AG
Gator92 said:

I spent most of today chasing electrical gremlins in my son's 96 F150. It has 200K. Cleaned the battery cables and a bunch of grounds. Has an aftermarket alarm w/ starter interruption. Turns out the ground on the alarm needed grounding.

Thing is almost 30 y/o and back on the road.

Try to tell me that buying an EV is better for the environment than keeping this old girl on the road...
228K on my 2010 F150. I wouldn't trade it for a brand new EV unless I could pocket the difference on the immediate trade for my next F150
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old May Banker
AG
The EV market will crash... not a matter of "if," but when.

There's no appetite for spending $25k to replace batteries on used vehicles.
Ag with kids
AG
Quote:

With E.V.s rapidly depreciating to a value of $0 as their batteries age, consumers naturally don't want to find themselves in the position of trying to sell a 6 or 7-year old E.V. that has little value due to its useful life being almost over. This, of course, compels them not to want to purchase a 3 or 4-year old E.V., which in turn makes it difficult for the original owner to sell his E.V.
This really is the key here.

The secondary market is what keeps the new vehicle market viable.
annie88
AG
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Good read thanks for sharing

I'll stick with my 3/4t diesel
Jack Squat 83
AG
Bat signal must be powered by a dead EV battery today.

I predict some dude will start buying these things for 25 cents on the dollar, and hold them until the Chinese come out with the Harbor Freight version of batteries for $6-7000 and then roll them for a nice profit. Government safety standards will go out the window since 'green!'. They'll be fine for a couple years and then start burning down houses, etc.

If a buck can be made…..just wait.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.