The Collapsing Market for Used EVs

17,120 Views | 210 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by hph6203
aggiejayrod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BigRobSA said:

Ag with kids said:

Quote:

A number of years back I sold a 6 year old Macbook that had a cracked screened and fried motherboard from a glass of water being poured on it (I love my children, I love my children). I got $350 for it on Ebay.

At least there is some decent resale value with Macs...

Quote:

And they got ALL of your pr0n. Every mpeg.
Not without the HD I pulled out, they didn't.

That was some good pr0n. Not giving it away.

Good man!

Big Bro asking the real questions
techno-ag
AG
Medaggie said:

Anyone who says its a golf cart just shows their bias and ignorance.

The goal of musk was to make EVs get to parity.

When a comparable EV (i.e. model Y to Lexus) had the model Y 20%+ more expensive, haters said it would never sale b/c its too high. A glorified golf cart with many flaws for 20% more than a Lexus.

When a Tesla lowers their prices 20-40%, haters now said they can't sell them so they must lower their price.

So what do haters want? Tesla will be cheaper than ICE cars within 2-3 years for a comparable car. What are they going to say then?

If the Chinese EVs ever come to the US, ICE will be dead. EVs are much simpler to make, maintain, and will be much cheaper to buy. I don't see how ICE will survive because when battery costs go down and can prove to last 300K miles (I think they are there), price/costs will win out.

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

WolfCall
AG

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-13100353/Slipping-EV-demand-forces-lithium-facilities-pause-production.html
Quote:

America's EV boom goes bust! Lithium and nickel producers begin mass layoffs and pause multi-billion-dollar projects as US says no to electric car push
  • Lithium mines have closed and employees are laid off as demands for EVs drop
  • More Americans turned to hybrid vehicles last year than EVs

By NIKKI MAIN SCIENCE REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 14:39 EST, 19 February 2024 | UPDATED: 16:18 EST, 19 February 2024

Americans were sold the promise that electric vehicles would bring production companies and an influx of jobs to small towns nationwide as part of a modern day goldrush.

However, as interest in EVs has slipped, lithium and nickel facilities metals used in lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles are taking cost-cutting measures including mass layoffs and suspending operations.

The demand for electric vehicles surged in 2022, rising by 76 percent in April of that year, but by the end of 2023, the number of vehicles sold dropped to just 50 percent.......
You voted for this because you didn't like Mean Tweets?!
Bubblez
WolfCall said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-13100353/Slipping-EV-demand-forces-lithium-facilities-pause-production.html

The demand for electric vehicles surged in 2022, rising by 76 percent in April of that year, but by the end of 2023, the number of vehicles sold dropped to just 50 percent.......
Sales rising by 50% is just horrific.
javajaws
AG
EVs really need to make the batteries user replaceable and replaceable in increments - not all or nothing. So you could have a yearly 20% battery replacement after the first few years, etc. to "keep performance up", etc. instead of this one shot "you're broke" battery replacement event.
hph6203
AG
They really, really, really don't.
techno-ag
AG
Bubblez said:

WolfCall said:

Sales falling by 26% is good?
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

Hoyt Ag
AG
I'm still waiting to find an EV that has the range, towing capacity or anything close to my F250.
GAC06
AG
techno-ag said:

Bubblez said:

WolfCall said:

Sales growth has slowed. Sales have not fallen.
hph6203
AG
To be fair the person who wrote that sentence might be illiterate, but that's not what that says.
techno-ag
AG
GAC06 said:

techno-ag said:

Bubblez said:

WolfCall said:

Sales growth has slowed. Sales have not fallen.
If sales growth has slowed, they're not selling as many anymore?

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

GAC06
AG
No. They are selling more than before. The growth has slowed. Do you seriously not grasp this?
techno-ag
AG
GAC06 said:

No. They are selling more than before. The growth has slowed. Do you seriously not grasp this?
So, they're selling fewer cars, but more than ever. I think I got it.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

GAC06
AG
They are selling more EV's than before. Literally more than ever. Sales are growing. The growth rate has slowed as of late. I don't know how I can make it plainer than that.
hph6203
AG
Who's on first?
VitruvianAg
AG
CowboyGirl said:

I heard an industry person speaking about the long-term supply chain for producing EVs and according to this person, the plan is for automakers to basically recycle your car, not resell it. They are counting on being able to reclaim/recycle the materials that are in the old vehicle to sustain the production of the new vehicles. So dealers will buy back your used car but they generally won't resell it.

Long term the auto market would be new EVs for those who can afford them and public transit for those who can't. I personally plan to drive my ICE vehicle like a Cuban.

That's nice and I feel the same way about my Jag...That said the British government is soon to enact legislation prohibiting the maintenance/repair of ICE engined cars of any sort by some not too distant time...

You think those twits in California and other democrat controlled States aren't going to do the same on these shores?
hph6203
AG
GAC06 said:

They are selling more EV's than before. Literally more than ever. Sales are growing. The growth rate has slowed as of late. I don't know how I can make it plainer than that.

2021 = 1
2022 = 1 x 1.76 = 1.76
2023 = 1.76 x 1.5 = 2.64

2.64 > 1.76?

2.64 > 1.76!

Seriously. He either has a history of head injuries or he's intentionally being an irritant by pretending to have failed out of 7th grade math. Up in the air on that one, but I'd lean towards he's not throwing his hat in the ring for an Oscar. He has trouble with the concept of past, present and future too.
SchizoAg
AG
Medaggie said:

When a comparable EV (i.e. model Y to Lexus) had the model Y 20%+ more expensive, haters said it would never sale b/c its too high. A glorified golf cart with many flaws for 20% more than a Lexus.

When a Tesla lowers their prices 20-40%, haters now said they can't sell them so they must lower their price.

So what do haters want? Tesla will be cheaper than ICE cars within 2-3 years for a comparable car. What are they going to say then?

If the Chinese EVs ever come to the US, ICE will be dead. EVs are much simpler to make, maintain, and will be much cheaper to buy. I don't see how ICE will survive because when battery costs go down and can prove to last 300K miles (I think they are there), price/costs will win out.

It's really simple. The average person can't rely on an EV. Until that changes, they will never displace ICEs.

The average person needs to be able to reliably do a round trip to/from work, with A/C in a Texas summer, or heat in a northern winter, sometimes sitting in traffic jams, maybe run a few errands on the way home, without worrying about being stranded. That's the basic usage scenario that EVs can't reliably cover, with the current recharging infrastructure.
Kansas Kid
VitruvianAg said:

CowboyGirl said:

I heard an industry person speaking about the long-term supply chain for producing EVs and according to this person, the plan is for automakers to basically recycle your car, not resell it. They are counting on being able to reclaim/recycle the materials that are in the old vehicle to sustain the production of the new vehicles. So dealers will buy back your used car but they generally won't resell it.

Long term the auto market would be new EVs for those who can afford them and public transit for those who can't. I personally plan to drive my ICE vehicle like a Cuban.

That's nice and I feel the same way about my Jag...That said the British government is soon to enact legislation prohibiting the maintenance/repair of ICE engined cars of any sort by some not too distant time...

You think those twits in California and other democrat controlled States aren't going to do the same on these shores?

Connecticut originally followed CA lead on the 2035 mandate and they have dropped it in the last year. The politicians are connecting to the idea that if they force 100% EV by 2035 they will be looking for jobs sooner than they wanted. The new jobs also come with a lot lower return on their brokerage accounts.
GAC06
AG
Quote:

The average person needs to be able to reliably do a round trip to/from work, with A/C in a Texas summer, or heat in a northern winter, sometimes sitting in traffic jams, maybe run a few errands on the way home, without worrying about being stranded. That's the basic usage scenario that EVs can't reliably cover, with the current recharging infrastructure.

EV's available today easily cover that scenario, with range to spare, while saving the owner money and time.
hph6203
AG
That is him. Watch the video and you'll see he got 315,000 miles on one battery and 405,000 miles on another battery.

The drivetrain replacements were likely refurbished because he paid for literally none of those repairs as Tesla had an unlimited mileage warranty for 8 years on those vehicles. He is the outlier in terms of warranty claims.

As he points out in that video the early Model S vehicles had issues with drivetrain longevity and the later models have resolved that problem. It's why there's an example I posted earlier of a person who has driven 500,000 miles on both the original battery and original drivetrain.

My point is that as of right now, because of when these vehicles were launched there's very little reliable info on longevity of batteries because most vehicles have not hit those higher mileages. Of those that have some of them are owned by dip****s that routinely supercharge to 90% capacity.

Some people will swear they'll last 500,000 miles, some will swear it's 120,000 because that's when the warranty expires. My guess is that the norm experience is going to be the battery lasting into the 250,000+ mile range and the drive train failing sometime before that.

Charge cycles are improving over time and there's reason for that to be put into cars, because starting this year/next year more and more models are going to have the capacity to operate as a backup to your home/the grid normalize demand curves with production.
Psycho Bunny
Still one of my favorite YouTube videos to watch.

I want to see chaos in America. My vote will be for Harris.
Bubblez
SchizoAg said:

Medaggie said:

It's really simple. The average person can't rely on an EV. Until that changes, they will never displace ICEs.

An EV can handle the vast majority of use cases for commuters living in a single family home or otherwise have access to a reliable place to charge up at a frequency related to their commute length. That doesn't have to be nightly.
techno-ag
AG
hph6203 said:

GAC06 said:

2021 = 1
2022 = 1 x 1.76 = 1.76
2023 = 1.76 x 1.5 = 2.64

2.64 > 1.76?

2.64 > 1.76!

Seriously. He either has a history of head injuries or he's intentionally being an irritant by pretending to have failed out of 7th grade math. Up in the air on that one, but I'd lean towards he's not throwing his hat in the ring for an Oscar. He has trouble with the concept of past, present and future too.
They're growing… they're just growing less than before. But by golly they're growing! Ignore the fact that things are slowing down! That's not important! They're growing, don't you see.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

YouBet
AG
GAC06 said:

That's also assuming that you'd need to replace the battery at 120k which isn't a safe assumption

My only point is that we don't know either way because the data set isn't big enough. We have a known quantity with ICE cars but not yet with EVs.

I'll let someone else figure this out. I really don't want to be an early adopter in the used car market with the first generation of EVs hitting end of life.
techno-ag
AG
Bubblez said:

SchizoAg said:

Medaggie said:

An EV can handle the vast majority of use cases for commuters living in a single family home or otherwise have access to a reliable place to charge up at a frequency related to their commute length. That doesn't have to be nightly.
Yes. People who own their own home and can afford to also have at least one real car for serious driving. For the rest of you, it's mass transit, comrades.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

Ag with kids
AG
Bubblez said:

WolfCall said:

When you sell 2 this year, 3 is a 50% increase.
Ag with kids
AG
SchizoAg said:

Medaggie said:

AND...they need to be able to do that after they completely forgot to charge last night, so they didn't top it up. And they're late for work so they can't stop to charge it on the way home because they don't have 15-20 extra min.

People are irresponsible at times.
Ag with kids
AG
hph6203 said:

That is him. Watch the video and you'll see he got 315,000 miles on one battery and 405,000 miles on another battery.

The drivetrain replacements were likely refurbished because he paid for literally none of those repairs as Tesla had an unlimited mileage warranty for 8 years on those vehicles. He is the outlier in terms of warranty claims.

As he points out in that video the early Model S vehicles had issues with drivetrain longevity and the later models have resolved that problem. It's why there's an example I posted earlier of a person who has driven 500,000 miles on both the original battery and original drivetrain.

My point is that as of right now, because of when these vehicles were launched there's very little reliable info on longevity of batteries because most vehicles have not hit those higher mileages. Of those that have some of them are owned by dip****s that routinely supercharge to 90% capacity.

Some people will swear they'll last 500,000 miles, some will swear it's 120,000 because that's when the warranty expires. My guess is that the norm experience is going to be the battery lasting into the 250,000+ mile range and the drive train failing sometime before that.

Charge cycles are improving over time and there's reason for that to be put into cars, because starting this year/next year more and more models are going to have the capacity to operate as a backup to your home/the grid normalize demand curves with production.
So all those people saying they need new batteries at fewer miles than that are lying.

Those *******s!
hph6203
AG
No, but with anything there's variation in manufacturing and failures occur quicker than expected. That's what a warranty is for.

This is a discussion of norms, not anecdotes. There are anecdotes on the high side and the low side and the truth of the norm is somewhere in between. There's also people that are dumbasses that don't take care of their vehicles and do dip**** stuff like super charge their cars to 90% every time they charge it and wonder why their battery didn't last like the dumbass Uber driver that's been posted on this forum multiple times.

Hint: He is net losing time by waiting for the car to charge from 80% to 90% rather than leaving at 80%, doing trips and then coming back at 10% and charging to 80%. And he's not paying to destroy his car in the process.

It's the equivalent of a person whining about their car dying while never doing routine maintenance. I'm not in to using the moron for the standard of design.

Kind of like you thinking the hypothetical "I forgot to charge my car" is a compelling argument when that would typically require the person to forget to charge their car for a week straight and even in that event they can go to a Supercharger and get 70 miles in 5 minutes rather than your hypothetical waiting around for 20.

Somehow people become universally bumfuzzling stupid when it comes to EVs and we must protect them. I'm sure in every other avenue of life your attitude is stupid wins stupid prizes.
Ag with kids
AG
hph6203 said:

No, but with anything there's variation in manufacturing and failures occur quicker than expected. That's what a warranty is for.

This is a discussion of norms, not anecdotes. There are anecdotes on the high side and the low side and the truth of the norm is somewhere in between. There's also people that are dumbasses that don't take care of their vehicles and do dip**** stuff like super charge their cars to 90% every time they charge it and wonder why their battery didn't last like the dumbass Uber driver that's been posted on this forum multiple times.

Hint: He is net losing time by waiting for the car to charge from 80% to 90% rather than leaving at 80%, doing trips and then coming back at 10% and charging to 80%. And he's not paying to destroy his car in the process.

It's the equivalent of a person whining about their car dying while never doing routine maintenance. I'm not in to using the moron for the standard of design.

Kind of like you thinking the hypothetical "I forgot to charge my car" is a compelling argument when that would typically require the person to forget to charge their car for a week straight and even in that event they can go to a Supercharger and get 70 miles in 5 minutes rather than your hypothetical waiting around for 20.

Somehow people become universally bumfuzzling stupid when it comes to EVs and we must protect them. Where in every other avenue of life your attitude is undoubtedly stupid wins stupid prizes.
So...where is the real DATA then. Not your screenshots.

And, see, this is where your fanboi stuff is annoying. You handwave away REAL LIFE issues.

People forget - A LOT. But then, they'll just go to a Supercharger....you mean the ONE Supercharger in Corpus Christi that's at La Palmera Mall? What if I live on the Island (I do) and need to get to work on the Bluff (I do)? I now have to drive 10 min PAST work to get to this Supercharger to then turn around and get back to work....but, wait...my car was almost dead back there on the Island. How did I get to the Supercharger???

If you'd actually acknowledge that real world issues exist and the world isn't your unicorn fart utopia, you might find people would listen to you more often instead of dismissing you outright.

I'm not even opposed to EVs (they're the future in my business, well, eVTOLs, but same concept) and you make me dislike them.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Guys, guys, guys. Don't you understand the desire to force you into an electric vehicle has absolutely zero to do with what is best for you? It's all about what is best for the ruling elites who don't want you to be mobile.
Bubblez
Ag with kids said:

hph6203 said:

Somehow people become universally bumfuzzling stupid when it comes to EVs and we must protect them. Where in every other avenue of life your attitude is undoubtedly stupid wins stupid prizes.

And, see, this is where your fanboi stuff is annoying. You handwave away REAL LIFE issues.

People forget - A LOT. But then, they'll just go to a Supercharger....you mean the ONE Supercharger in Corpus Christi that's at La Palmera Mall? What if I live on the Island (I do) and need to get to work on the Bluff (I do)? I now have to drive 10 min PAST work to get to this Supercharger to then turn around and get back to work....but, wait...my car was almost dead back there on the Island. How did I get to the Supercharger???

If you'd actually acknowledge that real world issues exist and the world isn't your unicorn fart utopia, you might find people would listen to you more often instead of dismissing you outright.

I'm not even opposed to EVs (they're the future in my business, well, eVTOLs, but same concept) and you make me dislike them.

Your situation of living on an island is rather unique, like those unicorn farts you bring up. That doesn't mean EV work perfectly for the majority of commuters today. And the supercharger network as it appears today will have no resemblance to what we'll see even 1 year from now.
Ag with kids
AG

These same people will exist in the EV world...
Ag with kids
AG
Bubblez said:

Ag with kids said:

hph6203 said:

Your situation of living on an island is rather unique, like those unicorn farts you bring up.
That doesn't mean EV work perfectly for the majority of commuters today. And the supercharger network as it appears today will have no resemblance to what we'll see even 1 year from now.
I live in a city of 350K people. (the island is an awesome bonus)

With ONE Supercharger.

THAT is the unicorn fart.

And of course you always go to "well in the future"...

Sure, things will improve in the future. But if we believed your fan fiction, there will be twelveteen trillion Superchargers in 5 years and they'll charge you from 0%-690% in negative 20 minutes.

This is the point. There ARE real issues that do and will exist. When you refuse to acknowledge them, you become someone that no one will take seriously.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.