Interesting Point on EVs and Evacuating

17,120 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
MemphisAg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This thread makes me appreciate my F-150 even more. 36 gallon gas tank... I can go >700 miles without stopping. And that's if I don't fill the bed with 5 gallon gas canisters. I have 25 gallons of those... that would extend my range over 1,200 miles.
aggiehawg
AG
May God Bless you.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Your phone is running a lot of background apps, processes, and connection features at all times. So you get a lot of drain. Teslas don't do much when parked. You will still get some "vampire drain" but it's about 1% to 3% per day.
My phone is "off" most of the time.

And are you really claiming that my freakin' cell phone is in communication withsoooo many apps and thus draning battery life and a Tesla or other EV is not? No apps?

Really?

The Tesla runs very few processes in the background. It also had a much much larger battery than your phone. Again, you will get about 1 to 3% battery drain on a Tesla per day.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Your phone is running a lot of background apps, processes, and connection features at all times. So you get a lot of drain. Teslas don't do much when parked. You will still get some "vampire drain" but it's about 1% to 3% per day.

And are you really claiming that my freakin' cell phone is in communication withsoooo many apps and thus draning battery life and a Tesla or other EV is not? No apps?

Really?

Just a heads up, everyone under 35 knows he's right.
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Really?

The Tesla runs very few processes in the background. It also had a much much larger battery than your phone. Again, you will get about 1 to 3% battery drain on a Tesla per day.
I keep getting whiplash as a result of the crawfishings here. Bateries can never be drained from no use. Bigger batteries mean they cannot be drained. Lithium batteries mean they can not be drained from no use. Bigger lithium batteries mean they cannot be drained for no use.
Teslag
AG
You're getting yourself turned around. Different battery chemistry means it behaves differently when not being used. A traditional lead acid battery will lose charge when not used. A lithium battery will lose little to none. A Tesla and an iPhone both use lithium batteries. When running background apps they'll both lose charge. However, they run similar power drain when running those apps. At similar power draw a larger battery will always lose less charge than a smaller battery.
Muy
AG
Teslag said:

A Tesla uses 1.6kwh of power to run the AC while not moving. That means the typical Tesla will be able to idle in traffic for approximately 45 hours before needing a charge.

You guys really don't even try anymore.

Show us on the teddy bear where the climate activists touched you bad
Teslag
AG
I don't care about the environment. If I did I wouldn't drive a Tesla.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

You're getting yourself turned around. Different battery chemistry means it behaves differently when not being used. A traditional lead acid battery will lose charge when not used. A lithium battery will lose little to none. A Tesla and an iPhone both use lithium batteries. When running background apps they'll both lose charge. However, they run similar power drain when running those apps. At similar power draw a larger battery will always lose less charge than a smaller battery.
Sorry. but that really does not make any sense to me. How can a self driving car not use apps that drain batteries? How can a car that uses batteries to cool down batteries not use power?

I understand posters here believe I am against EVs because I'm just a...whatever... but I am really very confused because the common sense and the "explanations" never match up.
Teslag
AG
It's simple. Those systems are off when the car is parked under normal conditions.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Why does my phone weigh the same when its dead vs fully charged????
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
Manhattan
The computer and everything uses about 300 watts, the car can put out 1000 watts continuously every hour for 82 hours.

It takes about 250 watt hours per mile to drive at 60mph.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

It's simple. Those systems are off when the car is parked under normal conditions.
What are "normal conditions"?? No excessive heat? No excessive cold?

If I live in northern Minnesota or North Dakota, good to go during winter?

I'm an old school gal. Wanted to own a 74 LandCruiser and live in Durango CO. Knew I would need an oil pan heater or a diesel to get through a winter up there back in the 70s.

So, tell me how those EVs will do during winter in the far north?
waitwhat?
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Sorry. but that really does not make any sense to me. How can a self driving car not use apps that drain batteries? How can a car that uses batteries to cool down batteries not use power?

I understand posters here believe I am against EVs because I'm just a...whatever... but I am really very confused because the common sense and the "explanations" never match up.

Not a particularly big fan of EVs, but it's current that causes heat, and current only happens when something is demanding power, and with batteries the size that an EV uses it would be a lot of power. Batteries don't generate heat without it.

Like Teslag said, if you're at a stop in an EV, imagine it's like your cell phone or laptop going into standby mode. It'll use little to no power, and the "apps" an EV does need to run even when "idling" could be run by a battery the size of a typical iPhone.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
Teslag
AG
I don't get the vibe you're "anti EV" at all. You're just approaching this from a very outdated and antiquated idea of battery tech. You've completely bought into the notion that these cars are "glorified golf carts". They are some of the mostly highly advance and edge pushing tech on the planet designed by some of the greatest engineers in the world. Just be open to the idea that they've thought of some things you haven't.
Manhattan
Precondition the battery and cabin to 78 before you wake up in the morning.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

I don't get the vibe you're "anti EV" at all. You're just approaching this from a very outdated and antiquated idea of battery tech. You've completely bought into the notion that these cars are "glorified golf carts". They are some of the mostly highly advance and edge pushing tech on the planet designed by some of the greatest engineers in the world. Just be open to the idea that they've thought of some things you haven't.
I am.

Just tell me how they work well in very cold environments when not garaged and plugged in.
Teslag
AG
Define very cold environment
Manhattan
I'll tell you in February. I'm too cheap to pay $600 for a garage.

The Brazos Kid
Teslag said:

C@LAg said:

wait until I perfect my mini-localized EMP device.

Going to spend all my time pissing off the EV drivers. As well as everyone else with computers running their cars while i cruise by in my XJ Wrangler.

So basically everyone with a car made after the late 70's?

2:00 minute mark

I was 9 when that movie was on TV. Freaked me the eff out.
BigRobSA
Teslag said:

Hillary's hoo-ha

Aaaaaaannnnnd, go!!
Manhattan
Teslag said:

And very cold environments are already wired for engine block heaters.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

North United States and Canada during winter.

Prowler needs a jump.
LINK

BigRobSA
Manhattan said:

Teslag said:

Lived in Alaska and Iowa. Neither had that set-up.

New York doesn't get "real cold", either. Y'all freaked the **** out over "super storm Sandy", aka "a day that ends in Y" in Iowa.
Manhattan
And basically killed the Fisker Karma
aggiehawg
AG
BigRobSA said:

Manhattan said:

Teslag said:

New York doesn't get "real cold", either. Y'all freaked the **** out over "super storm Sandy", aka "a day that ends in Y" in Iowa.
Yeah. I mean places get very very cold. Every damn year. But EV people think it never happens.

I just want to know the truth about EVs in cold weather sites.
UTExan
PlaneCrashGuy said:

UTExan said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Well this was an entertaining read to catch up on. As usual in EV threads, I learned a thing or two about EV's from TeslAg. The irony of 7 pages of noise in here is that if you were going to spend 9 hours doing the first 50 miles of your 200 mile drive in stop and go traffic, you'd probably want an EV because of the regenerative braking and minimal power consumption at idle.

Unless you need AC or heat.

Ask me how I know you didn't read the thread.

I own a hybrid with a lithium battery in a northern climate where we need heat to defrost windows and warm the interior of my car. My battery gets drained during this process. Tesla agrees with this:
https://www.tesla.com/support/winter-driving-tips
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
tk for tu juan
So now we are escaping a hurricane in North Dakota during January? Now that is some climate change
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Prowler needs a jump.
LINK

Give me numbers? 30 degrees at night? 10? What's you're specific situation?
HollywoodBQ
AG
BigRobSA said:

Manhattan said:

Teslag said:

Want to know something hilarious BigRob.

When we lived in Valdez and would travel to Anchorage, I was fascinated by the engine block heaters in the public parking lot near our hotel.

I couldn't figure out why people were plugging their cars in. They weren't electric so what was the electricity for.

Anyway, I can confirm that plug-ins for engine block heaters were common in Anchorage in the mid-1970s.
BigRobSA
Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Prowler needs a jump.
LINK

Give me numbers? 30 degrees at night? 10? What's you're specific situation?

Those are Springtime temps, sir.

Think -10 and below before wind-chill.
BigRobSA
HollywoodBQ said:

BigRobSA said:

Manhattan said:

Teslag said:

When we lived in Valdez and would travel to Anchorage, I was fascinated by the engine block heaters in the public parking lot near our hotel.

I couldn't figure out why people were plugging their cars in. They weren't electric so what was the electricity for.

Anyway, I can confirm that plug-ins for engine block heaters were common in Anchorage in the mid-1970s.

Lived there then, and then again in the 80s. Not a big thing in the 80s. Technology and **** .

Which hotel? Spent many events in the Sheraton on the Cook Inlet (I think that's the name?).
MemphisAg1
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

BigRobSA said:

Manhattan said:

Teslag said:

Yeah we had 'em in Minnesota and the UP of Michigan when I lived there in the early 00's.

My company Explorer was wired for an engine block heater, and I would plug it in every night.

My wife's car (from TX) did not, so I opened her hood every night and hung a shop light with a 100 watt incandescent bulb to keep the engine just warm enough (like zero degrees) that it would start when she would take the boys to school in the morning.
BigRobSA
MemphisAg1 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

BigRobSA said:

Manhattan said:

Teslag said:

Yeah we had 'em in Minnesota and the UP of Michigan when I lived there in the early 00's.

My company Explorer was wired for an engine block heater, and I would plug it in every night.

My wife's car (from TX) did not, so I opened her hood every night and hung a shop light with a 100 watt incandescent bulb to keep the engine just warm enough (like zero degrees) that it would start when she would take the boys to school in the morning.

Was in MSP first half of last year. None that I saw at any of our properties.
Teslag
AG
In those temps (-10) you'll lose about 30% of your normal range

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.