Interesting Point on EVs and Evacuating

17,106 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
Manhattan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stop and go, probably not, but at 40mph you could do 350.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Okay. Stand corrected.

No problem. I was once an EV hater. Until I actually researched and drove one. They still aren't right for most people but they are perfect for some. You just have to wade through a bunch of ignorance when discussing them.
I live in BFE. On a ranch. EVs don;t work for us.
A Hybrid would work.
A Hybrid has a gasoline ICE with just enough battery to increase gas mileage by 20-30%.
Teslag
AG
If I had the base Y with the aero wheels maybe. But I have the Y performance so my range is lower.
Manhattan
Deputy Travis Junior said:

The idea that the country can dump fossil fuels and put everybody in an EV in 10-15 years is a destructive liberal fantasy, but EVs are still fine options for a lot of people. Most of the country lives < 30 miles from work and never tows *****

I dont know if the last sentence is true, but if it is then that means EVs work for most people.

If you have to spend an extra 2 hours charging on a road trip a few times a year, you get your time back never going to a gas station the rest of the year.
The Dirty Sock
muh precious tesla!!!!
Oyster DuPree
AG
Manhattan said:

The idea that the country can dump fossil fuels and put everybody in an EV in 10-15 years is a destructive liberal fantasy, but EVs are still fine options for a lot of people. Most of the country lives < 30 miles from work and never tows *****

I dont know if the last sentence is true, but if it is then that means EVs work for most people.

If you have to spend an extra 2 hours charging on a road trip a few times a year, you get your time back never going to a gas station the rest of the year.

5 minutes at a gas station once a week or so may be the same quantity of time over one year as a couple of 2 hour charges on road trips, but they are not equivalent
doubledog
problem solved.... Sorry Earth, I wanted to save you, but reality stepped in.

Manhattan
Oyster DuPree said:

Manhattan said:

5 minutes at a gas station once a week or so may be the same quantity of time over one year as a couple of 2 hour charges on road trips, but they are not equivalent

It's not a couple two hours charge, it's replacing gas fill ups with 20m chargers, and with the trash I eat on road trips, I need 20m stops.
TexAgs91
AG
Teslag said:

If you aren't moving at all in two days you could just run the AC periodically through the day and extend your charge for even longer. The car uses nothing just sitting there. With 300 mile range going 10 or 40 miles on evac would be a non-issue.
Periodically???!!!
In Texas, A/C is a life-support system. You don't mess with that!
Manhattan
doubledog said:

That meme is dumb because that I3 already has the range extender option, the range extender is a gasoline engine.
Oyster DuPree
AG
Admittedly my knowledge is anecdotal, I don't own an EV, but I was under the impression that most current stations take much longer than 20 minutes to charge
Manhattan
My model 3 goes from about 5-70% in about 20m. But it can also go from 10-50% in 10m. I don't mind stopping for 10m every two hours.
tk for tu juan
This is why you get the Rivian or Hummer EV, no need to stay on the paved roads with the other suckers
Teslag
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Admittedly my knowledge is anecdotal, I don't own an EV, but I was under the impression that most current stations take much longer than 20 minutes to charge

The newer superchargers going in at places like Buccees are the 250kwh type that are blazing fast. You can stop for 10 to 20 min and be back on your way.
tk for tu juan
10 year old test on the range and battery consumption of a Tesla Model S from 10 mph to 80 mph. What is not seen is the battery consumption below 10 mph which increases to overcome rolling resistance. In between the rolling resistance on one end and aerodynamic drag on the other end, the range of the EV is at its highest if you are averaging 15 to 20 mph.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/model-s-efficiency-and-range
HollywoodBQ
AG
Manhattan said:

doubledog said:

That meme is dumb because that I3 already has the range extender option, the range extender is a gasoline engine.
And the BMW i3 final model with the biggest battery and with the Range Extender gets you all the way up to 200 mi (estimated range)
126 mi Electric, 74 mi Gasoline
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_i3

Barely going to make it to College Station for Game Day, much less Hurricane Evac.
zephyr88
AG
I was recently in Florida (actually in the Tampa area).

Strangely enough, over a 9 day visit, I only saw a couple EVs.
Ferg
Earl Dibbles, Jr. said it best.

Manhattan
HollywoodBQ said:

Manhattan said:

doubledog said:

And the BMW i3 final model with the biggest battery and with the Range Extender gets you all the way up to 200 mi (estimated range)
126 mi Electric, 74 mi Gasoline
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_i3

Barely going to make it to College Station for Game Day, much less Hurricane Evac.

But you can just fill it up at a gas station, Out of Spec on YouTube drove one from North Carolina to Colorado, it was a huge pain in the ass but it's possible. Nice option to have though for emergencies for a vehicle that should really only be used as a commuter.

It only has a 2(?) gallon tank, strap a couple five gallons to the roof and you can go far in an emergency. I would never recommend that car for any long distance drive, but it's still possible.
Deputy Travis Junior
Manhattan said:

Most of the country lives < 30 miles from work and never tows *****

Downtown Fort Worth to downtown Dallas is 30 miles. Katy to downtown Houston is 30 miles. Humble to downtown Houston is 20 miles. Boerne to downtown San Antonio is 30 miles. So 30 miles gives you range for a pretty hefty commute range. I'm sure some people commute farther but surely > 50% of the population has a less awful commute than Katy to Houston.

As far as towing, I did some googling and found this from a automotive industry consultant: "According to Edwards' data, 75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never)." So if truck owners (the population most likely to tow) are rarely towing then the number is even lower in the general population.

Ignoring grid issues and mandates (real problems but not what I'm discussing) I think 30-50% of the US could buy an EV tomorrow without suffering any inconvenience.
BigRobSA

Manhattan said:

Most of the country lives < 30 miles from work and never tows *****

Downtown Fort Worth to downtown Dallas is 30 miles. Katy to downtown Houston is 30 miles. Humble to downtown Houston is 20 miles. Boerne to downtown San Antonio is 30 miles. So 30 miles gives you range for a pretty hefty commute range. I'm sure some people commute farther but surely > 50% of the population has a less awful commute than Katy to Houston.

As far as towing, I did some googling and found this from a automotive industry consultant: "According to Edwards' data, 75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never)." So if truck owners (the population most likely to tow) are rarely towing then the number is even lower in the general population.

Ignoring grid issues and mandates (real problems but not what I'm discussing) I think 30-50% of the US could buy an EV tomorrow without suffering any inconvenience.

Is becoming LOLgay an "inconvenience"?

Deputy Travis Junior
If we're going that route, I don't think it's any more of an inconvenience than paying $100k for a king ranch edition to make up for a small d33k
BigRobSA

If we're going that route, I don't think it's any more of an inconvenience than paying $100k for a king ranch edition to make up for a small d33k

Truth

I call them "smalldickmobiles".
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Teslag said:

Oyster DuPree said:

The newer superchargers going in at places like Buccees are the 250kwh type that are blazing fast. You can stop for 10 to 20 min and be back on your way.
HollywoodBQ
AG

With WFH as the new normal, I only leave the house 1-2 days a week.

I could do one of those GoGet cars but... sure would hate to rely on that when I really needed to go somewhere - i.e. Hurricane / Earthquake evac.
aggiehawg
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Teslag said:

Oyster DuPree said:

Unless there are 10 cars ahead of you!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Teslag
AG
Here's real time supercharge availability for all of DFW right at rush hour.

Plenty of availability.

Manhattan
https://www.tampabay.com/hurricane/2022/09/27/tampa-bay-preps-shortages-ahead-hurricane-ian/

No gas.
TAMUallen
AG
Teslag said:

Here's real time supercharge availability for all of DFW right at rush hour.

Plenty of availability.

That's plenty?!

South Dallas has none. None in N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW Fort Worth
Teslag
AG
South Dallas doesn't need any
eric76
AG
aggiehawg said:

Imagine if there were any hills and mountains along the route.
Manhattan
fullback44
AG
eric76 said:

aggiehawg said:

Imagine if there were any hills and mountains along the route.
This doesn't surprise me, over stating what an EV truck can do, Unless your a city dweller these will never last and people won't want them… 90 miles of electricity used to go 30 miles… what a joke

As I have stated, in 10 years these Evs will prob be gone
coconutED
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.