Interesting Point on EVs and Evacuating

17,145 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
rocky the dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Manhattan
seat heater uses 500W, that plus a blanket and you can hang out for about a week...
LOYAL AG
AG
This whole conversation is absurd. Once we're all driving EV's we won't have anymore hurricanes because George Bush's hurricane machine needs oil to run and there won't be anymore oil.

Duh!
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Teslag said:

If you aren't moving at all in two days you could just run the AC periodically through the day and extend your charge for even longer. The car uses nothing just sitting there. With 300 mile range going 10 or 40 miles on evac would be a non-issue.

How many passengers (weight). and cargo weight? Recalculate for reality of people taking their "life" with them.
Teslag
AG
Our watts per mile consumption in our Y varies very little wether it's the driver alone or our whole family plus luggage. This data is available instantaneously as you drive the vehicle.
And at "idle" weight would be irrelevant
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Teslag said:

Picture from Rita evac. Internet is full of them. Barely a trailer in site.

As stated already, you don't wtf you are talking about. I evacuated twice from Houston and saw the **** show
first hand. My expedition was packed to the gills with our "life" and kids, food, water etc. 8 hours to DFW.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

Our watts per mile consumption in our Y varies very little wether it's the driver alone or our whole family plus luggage. This data is available instantaneously as you drive the vehicle.
Grid is down. How are you getting the information?
Teslag
AG
And? He claimed just about every evacuee had a trailer.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

You generally aren't plugged in to the grid as you're rolling down the highway.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Teslag said:

100% bull***** Weight matters
Teslag
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Teslag said:

Somewhat yes. You have to remember these vehicles are already extremely heavy as is empty.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Cell phone towers are not working either when there is no electricity. After the tornado hit us a few years back, cell service was spotty at best, if at all. We had a generator back-up and could still get internet. Landlines still worked. Cell phones? Not so much.

So where does a Tesla get that info?
Manhattan
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Teslag said:

Weight matters very little at highway speeds....
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Cell phone towers are not working either when there is no electricity. After the tornado hit us a few years back, cell service was spotty at best, if at all. We had a generator back-up and could still get internet. Landlines still worked. Cell phones? Not so much.

So where does a Tesla get that info?

The onboard computer. It simply calculates your speed compared to power draw. There is no external data link necessary.
aggiehawg
AG
Okay. Stand corrected.
eric76
AG
TAMU1990 said:

Anyone who has lived on the coast knows how HORRIBLE it is to drive out of Houston area when a hurricane approaches. Can you imagine EVs in this 10-50 mile traffic backup trying to get out of town and breaking down? Running out of a battery charge because it takes 10 hours to go 10 miles? Just the visual of this is a nightmare.
Do EV's really keep running while they aren't moving?

It seems to me that an EV would probably be better for such an event.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Manhattan said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Teslag said:

Weight matters very little at highway speeds....

Not true, weight is weight and takes energy to move it.
Manhattan
at highway speeds drag is your main energy user, the increased friction caused by the added weight is very small in comparison.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Okay. Stand corrected.

No problem. I was once an EV hater. Until I actually researched and drove one. They still aren't right for most people but they are perfect for some. You just have to wade through a bunch of ignorance when discussing them.
Houstonag
AG
Evacuation is a bumper to bumper situation and with the start and stop the EVs use a lot of energy just like an ICE. At least with an ICE the fuel is more portable and available. It only takes a few minutes to get a full tank as opposed to 30 minutes to an hour with an EV for a partial charge. That is if you have an extension cord long enough.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Okay. Stand corrected.

No problem. I was once an EV hater. Until I actually researched and drove one. They still aren't right for most people but they are perfect for some. You just have to wade through a bunch of ignorance when discussing them.
I live in BFE. On a ranch. EVs don;t work for us.
CSTXAg92
AG
Teslag said:

CSTXAg92 said:

Teslag said:

A Tesla uses 1.6kwh of power to run the AC while not moving. That means the typical Tesla will be able to idle in traffic for approximately 45 hours before needing a charge.

You guys really don't even try anymore.
Dude, have you ever seen the traffic jam out of the gulf coast during an evacuation? It can last for days. Litterally.
And so can the Tesla.
As long as you're fully charged, but there's no guarantee you will be when that time comes. You know, with power outtages and all.
eric76
AG
rocky the dog said:

It might be greatly preferable to be an electric vehicle in something like this.

To use your heater in a gasoline powered car, you have to keep the car running and that uses far more energy than just what you need for the heater. Plus, if you have leak in the exhaust or the snow piles up, you could be dead before it's over from carbon monoxide.

Supposedly, people with electric vehicles tend to keep the vehicle at close to full charge. On the other hand, a great many people with gasoline powered vehicles just fill up when it gets low. I often don't fuel up until I'm down to about two gallons left. So if I took out in a storm like that and didn't have a chance to refuel, I wouldn't last very long.
Manhattan
Get solar, powerwall, and a Tesla, and you wont have to rely on anything but the roads to go anywhere in a 150 mile radius.
Houston Lee
AG
I just figured out a way that EV drivers can extend the distance they can travel in a traffic jammed evacuation:

Teslag
AG
Houstonag said:

Evacuation is a bumper to bumper situation and with the start and stop the EVs use a lot of energy just like an ICE. At least with an ICE the fuel is more portable and available. It only takes a few minutes to get a full tank as opposed to 30 minutes to an hour with an EV for a partial charge. That is if you have an extension cord long enough.

EV's are actually more efficient and get better range in stop and go driving than they do at highway speeds.
Teslag
AG
Manhattan said:

Get solar, powerwall, and a Tesla, and you wont have to rely on anything but the roads to go anywhere in a 150 mile radius.

Solar won't do **** when a hurricane blows the panels off your roof.
Ag_of_08
AG
It took my grandmother and mother driving from beaumont, to near Dallas, then back to college station and over 30hrs on the road during Rita.

40hrs at idle is great.... now do 30hrs with a several hundred mile drive.

I dont think you've ever been in a hurricane evac, much less a two week stint living on an accidental island with no power...
AustinScubaAg
AG
Manhattan said:

TAMU1990 said:

Teslag said:

A Tesla uses 1.6kwh of power to run the AC while not moving. That means the typical Tesla will be able to idle in traffic for approximately 45 hours before needing a charge.

Except you are moving. Just real slow. And I hope these people charge up before they hit the road.

Have you evacuated before? Most people are going almost 100 miles away. It all depends on if you have family somewhere after 50-60 miles or where you can get a hotel.

Stop and go uses very little energy due to regen..
I guess you don't understand physics any better than Economics. The energy need to take a car from 0 to 1 Mph is greater than the energy needed to maintain 1Mph. Even Tesla on their own web page says stop and go traffic reduces battery life.
Teslag
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

It took my grandmother and mother driving from beaumont, to near Dallas, then back to college station and over 30hrs on the road during Rita.

40hrs at idle is great.... now do 30hrs with a several hundred mile drive.

I dont think you've ever been in a hurricane evac, much less a two week stint living on an accidental island with no power...

So we have now moved the goal post from the OP's 10 to 50 miles to several hundred miles.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

I guess you don't understand physics any better than Economics. The energy need to take a car from 0 to 1 Mph is greater than the energy needed to maintain 1Mph. Even Tesla on their own web page says stop and go traffic reduces battery life.
Stop and go is not the best for ICE's either. That is not a defense on EVs just the opposite.

Not good mileage with ICEs either. Again, laws of thermodynatics.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Stop and go is not the best for ICE's either. That is not a defense on EVs just the opposite.

The effect on EV's is much less pronounced as the vehicle can recharge during braking.
AustinScubaAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I never said that ICE's were better. I was simply pointed out the improper statement that regenerative breaking made stop and go not an issue.
aggiehawg
AG
My apologies. Misunderstood.
geoag58
AG
Teslag said:

You need to drive to Galveston as a cat 5 approaches and prove your point. Oh and wait until the traffic stacks up. Don't forget to bring an extra battery for your phone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.