***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,609,328 Views | 47849 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by 74OA
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agent-maroon said:

Please pardon my ignorance, but is the acquisition of Ukraine an existential necessity for the rus? I don't see that and I can't understand why they're betting all their chips on this particular hand. I understand that this may now be an existential issue for Putin the man, but for the country itself?

Keep thinking that someone high enough is going to see this and take Putin out.

Russia wants parts of Ukraine for many reasons, but it is existential now because Putin and those around him sold this as a "special military operation" with little risk and tons of upside, figuring the Ukrainians would fold quickly and be replaced by a puppet government.

That didn't happen, and the Russian army has suffered catastrophic losses. If they just go home now, they will have lost tens of thousands of men, probably $10-$15 billion in equipment, another few billion in munitions and fuel, and God knows how much damage to their economy for... nothing. That would be a hard pill for Russia to swallow, and the reigning politicians can't really afford that because all of them are basically complicit. It's kind of a sunk cost fallacy where they should cut their losses, but if they cut their losses they still have to answer for them. If they quadruple down, maybe they can get something. They'll definitely be way worse off, but at least they'll have something for their trouble to justify their hundreds of thousands of dead and complete lack of a military.
Ulysses90
AG
aginresearch said:

I don't think Russia as we have known it survives this mobilization. Their medium term demographic collapse has been accelerated to now.

If you conjured the ghosts of the great 19th century Russian novelists and showed the the situation today they would probably say, "So it goes. It's about what I would have guessed. Damn the Czars."
Waffledynamics
AG
aggiehawg said:

Question: Is there some kind of ethnic genocide happening here?
Let's just say this kills two birds with one stone for Putin.
Bryan98
AG
I agree with this except that we have to differentiate between what's good for Russia and what's good for Putin and his cronies. He is probably behaving totally rationally, as he may lose everything if he gives up - so he's all in. The sunk cost fallacy should apply, but it doesn't, because he values everyone but himself at zero.

And to whoever asked if this is an internal ethnic cleansing - that's a popular theory right now, and has been done historically in many places.
Waffledynamics
AG
Yikes.

EastSideAg2002
A question on all of these former allies of Putin. Are they being killed by Putin's henchman or is someone thinning Putin's support?
SouthTex99
AG
Who?mikejones!
Quote:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ci2bpfJA9L9/?igshid=NjQxMzA2Mjk=

I'm not sure how to inbed Instagram links
Sandiaman91
AG
agent-maroon said:

Please pardon my ignorance, but is the acquisition of Ukraine an existential necessity for the rus? I don't see that and I can't understand why they're betting all their chips on this particular hand. I understand that this may now be an existential issue for Putin the man, but for the country itself?

I see it simply as a dumb azz bluff that has been called. Putin thought he could bully his way to the pot, but now he has to go all in...
"The goat rope continues..." -RGV AG
txags92
AG
SouthTex99 said:

I don't know that its ethnic cleansing as much as those are the people the state can round up. And its going to get worse in years to come. They have a serious shortage of men 29 years and younger. This is the last dance.

Keep in mind too that a big reason for that shortage of men (and women) under 30 is that anybody with any brains or marketable skills left the country over the last d10-15 years. So that group that is left is the dimmest and least capable of their generation.
TRM
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

https://instagr.am/p/Ci2bpfJA9L9

I'm not sure how to inbed Instagram links
FIFY
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Missile strike was reported at Russian base in Alchevsk
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/23-september-missile-strike-was-reported-at-russian-base

PJYoung
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

A question on all of these former allies of Putin. Are they being killed by Putin's henchman or is someone thinning Putin's support?

Maybe a mixture of both but I personally think these are allies getting thinned out.
agent-maroon
AG
Sandiaman91 said:

agent-maroon said:

I see it simply as a dumb azz bluff that has been called. Putin thought he could bully his way to the pot, but now he has to go all in...

Yeah, beginning to look that way. I don't think Putin is a dumbass as much as he couldn't discern good info from bad. But that's what a dictator gets when his advisors fear death if they tell him something he doesn't want to hear. So many have and will suffer for it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Straight Talk
AG
agent-maroon said:

Sandiaman91 said:

agent-maroon said:

Yeah, beginning to look that way. I don't think Putin is a dumbass as much as he couldn't discern good info from bad. But that's what a dictator gets when his advisors fear death if they tell him something he doesn't want to hear. So many have and will suffer for it.
Exactly. I don't think Putin knows everything that's happened. And I'm sure he was given a load of Bull before engaging. Going in to his three day war he was most likely giddy. The issue is what does he really know now?

He knows that losing Crimea or Donetsk would lead to his "retirement ". He is in a Catch 22 of I can't lose and I can't win! Go down swinging?

I'd prefer a coup, a quick cease fire and negotiations ending this before the Rubicon is crossed. We shal see.
Waffledynamics
AG

CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie
Waffledynamics said:

Yikes.

The guy isn't even trying to injure himself to get out.

He's actually being hazed. Others are yelling 'recruit recruit'
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
lb3
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Waffledynamics said:

Yikes.

The guy isn't even trying to injure himself to get out.

He's actually being hazed. Others are yelling 'recruit recruit'
He's special needs and they're taking advantage of him.
CondensedFogAggie

I'm speechless, even for Russia. Or is there some other angle I'm missing?
CondensedFogAggie
Waffledynamics
AG

The 17 years old part isn't new. Heck, the World Wars had even younger enlisted.

But that was quite a while ago.
LMCane
agent-maroon said:

was the acquisition of Ukraine and the entire continent of Europe an existential necessity for the Germans in 1941?

to evil dictators and their willing subjects, rational thought doesn't have much to do with how one runs a country. The Russians have loved their Czars for 300 years. Now they are once again reaping the whirlwind.
LMCane
aggiehawg said:

remember when there were crowds of millions cheering the Triple Entente when they marched off to war in August 1914? not so much today in Russia.

amazing. that has to give a lot of hope to the Ukrainians. These guys are going to desert or frag their officers the first chance they get.

if they were smart, Ukraine would have Poland agree to set up a POW camp deep inside that country near to Germany

and take pictures of how nice the individual rooms are and drop them all over Eastern Ukraine.
LMCane
agent-maroon said:

Sandiaman91 said:

agent-maroon said:

let's all go back in the way back machine and watch the one Russian General in March 2022 who was refusing to answer if they should invade Ukraine...

and Putin made him sit in the corner after yelling at him.
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
No Spin Ag
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

The kids from Red Dawn could beat those guys in a fight.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
First Page Last Page
Page 774 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.