***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,592,486 Views | 47823 Replies | Last: 42 sec ago by 74OA
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I slapped this together. It shows the location of the AK-630 CIWS and the approximate spot where the missiles hit. This system can fire 5,000 rounds per minute and has a max range of about 4km. I know I'm stating the obvious but it's clear the CIWS failed spectacularly to either track or effectively engage the missiles.

CondensedFogAggie

Instant family heirloom
Blackbeard94
AG
richardag said:

aggiehawg said:

Hoping this ordinance is successfully used by Ukraines against Russian combatants.
I know that he knows exactly what he is doing and is very familiar with this ordnance. Still.... balls of steel, balls of steel.
Robert C. Christian
AG
ETA: Well, I'm late but oh well.

Two photos of the Moskva before she sank:

AGS-R-TUFF
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Just based on the photo, it seems like there was enough time for a significant portion of the survivors to evacuate? The seas don't look really rough either.
The crew thing is a bit of a mystery. IIRC the strike happened during early morning hours (1-2am ish). Did the explosions/fires wipe out most of the crew? Did some of the survivors abandon ship via lifeboats in the storm and are unaccounted for?

The picture looks like it was taken in broad daylight, several hours later.
JB!98
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Man without a navy destroys Russian flagship. I'd say that's worth a promotion.
At least the Ukes have good looking uniforms for their naval officers. Much better than the Russian dress uniforms that looked like they were pieced together at a North Korean dollar general.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
bonfarr
AG
Captain Positivity said:

I slapped this together. It shows the location of the AK-630 CIWS and the approximate spot where the missiles hit. This system can fire 5,000 rounds per minute and has a max range of about 4km. I know I'm stating the obvious but it's clear the CIWS failed spectacularly to either track or effectively engage the missiles.

The Ukes claimed they distracted the air defense system with a Bayraktar drone during the missile strike.

JFABNRGR
AG
bonfarr said:

Captain Positivity said:

The Ukes claimed they distracted the air defense system with a Bayraktar drone during the missile strike.

Or one or more of the following: russian junk, ivan smoking, ivan sleeping, ivan on vodka, ivan skipped PMCS, forte10 overhead.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Lots of dents on the side of that ship if you zoom in. Is that common?
V8Aggie
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Captain Positivity said:

Lots of dents on the side of that ship if you zoom in. Is that common?

Lots and lots of vodka.
CondensedFogAggie

Ukrainian children singing the Legion of Ukrainian Sich riflemans song. A Ukrainian unit within the Austro-Hungarian Army during the First World War. After World War I, with Austria's disintegration, the unit became the regular military unit of the West Ukrainian People's Republic

A bit bittersweet watching this, to be honest.

CondensedFogAggie
https://instagr.am/p/CcbGQzrOEf5
Quote:

"We are a Ukrainian family living abroad. We have lived abroad for over 20 years now, and my youngest son was 2 years old when we immigrated. He has left home and gone to the front to help our family still living in Ukraine, of which there are many.

He told me, 'Mother, I have to do this.' And off he went. A boy to a man overnight. I begged him not to go, and his father stopped me from stopping him.

Now that he's gone and been at the front for a time, I'm proud of him. I pray for his safety every single day. But he is only doing what I would be doing were I his age and in his position. His father wanted to go with him but I forbid it. Our son has met with his cousins and they are all together there now, fighting for Ukraine.

I see them all, and I see my grandfather, in his old Soviet Uniform fighting the Germans. He also ran away to join the army to defend our home against invaders. History repeats itself in the strangest of ways and I am very proud of them both. I just hope my son comes back in a better state of mind than my grandfather did. He slowly drank himself to death over 40 years after he came home from Berlin."

- Ukrainian Civilian living abroad. Invasion of Ukraine. April 13th, 2022.
Not a Bot
AG
The drone was more about distracting operators, not somehow impairing the CIWS ability to see and potentially shoot down the missiles.

There was information floating around that they couldn't track and shoot aircraft and missiles at the same time, and that's not quite true. This CIWS system has its own radar and electro-optical targeting system. It functions independently from the anti-air missile batteries.

It's possible they may have even gotten some shots off and struck the missiles, but when you have an object flying directly at you at a high velocity, even if you hit it with a bullet large chunks of it are still flying in your direction. Goal is to hit the missile as far away from your ship as possible.
GAC06
AG
Ships don't have a good track record defending against missiles. We supposedly had a destroyer shoot down an inbound missile from Yemen recently but most other instances where the missile functioned properly, the ship got hit. Falklands, USS Stark, Israeli frigate hit by hezbollah, etc
txags92
AG
Captain Positivity said:

The drone was more about distracting operators, not somehow impairing the CIWS ability to see and potentially shoot down the missiles.

There was information floating around that they couldn't track and shoot aircraft and missiles at the same time, and that's not quite true. This CIWS system has its own radar and electro-optical targeting system. It functions independently from the anti-air missile batteries.

It's possible they may have even gotten some shots off and struck the missiles, but when you have an object flying directly at you at a high velocity, even if you hit it with a bullet large chunks of it are still flying in your direction. Goal is to hit the missile as far away from your ship as possible.
In order to detect and target an incoming missile, they have to be using their radar to look for it. It is always a game of hide and seek when using active sensors, since they can be detected far beyond the distance where they will generate a useable return signal. If they were trying not to advertise the position of the ship to the Ukrainians, they may not have had the CIWS radars operating while they were tracking the drone.
CondensedFogAggie

Notice how the soldiers are a bit on the older side, leave immediately after firing is complete.
Jetpilot86
AG
Here is the full briefing to the US Military given by Peter Ziehan back in February, just before this all started. It's an hour worth of watching. Bits and pieces have been posted earlier.

TLDR: Russia and China have MAJOR long term demographic and economic issues. Russia is trying to re-take all of the possible invasion routes that opened up when the SU fell. Taking Ukraine will give them # 6 & 7 of the 9 with Poland on deck. While Russia is self-sufficient enough to survive, China is VERY dependent upon imports for both Food and Energy.
MeatDr
AG
Unconfirmed footage of Moskva. According to another account posting the same vid, the translation of the yelling in the background is "You ******* idiot! What the **** are you doing!" Someone obviously wasn't supposed to be filming.
Ulysses90
AG
GAC06 said:

Ships don't have a good track record defending against missiles. We supposedly had a destroyer shoot down an inbound missile from Yemen recently but most other instances where the missile functioned properly, the ship got hit. Falklands, USS Stark, Israeli frigate hit by hezbollah, etc

I can picture Dean Wayne Hughes looking down from above at the Moskva saying, "You should have paid attention to the first salvo P-hit, Comrade Kuprin, because you can't sink a shaore battery."

http://www.doolanshire.net/2018/01/26/salvo-warfare/

CondensedFogAggie

Welp
CondensedFogAggie

Finally a deadeye shot from a Uke tank on camera
MeatDr
AG
Warning: there isn't any gore, but video does show drone footage of probably dead or severely wounded Russian soldiers as well as a grenade being thrown on them.
MeatDr
AG
Another colonel gone.
MeatDr
AG
"I don't understand. Explain, please. The cost of one "caliber" is $6.5 million. They launch it a thousand kilometers away to fix a tire fitting in Lviv? What's the logic here? Are they completely morons?"
DCPD158
AG
MeatDr said:

"I don't understand. Explain, please. The cost of one "caliber" is $6.5 million. They launch it a thousand kilometers away to fix a tire fitting in Lviv? What's the logic here? Are they completely morons?"

Yes. Yes they are.
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
PJYoung
AG
Jetpilot86 said:

Here is the full briefing to the US Military given by Peter Ziehan back in February, just before this all started. It's an hour worth of watching. Bits and pieces have been posted earlier.

TLDR: Russia and China have MAJOR long term demographic and economic issues. Russia is trying to re-take all of the possible invasion routes that opened up when the SU fell. Taking Ukraine will give them # 6 & 7 of the 9 with Poland on deck. While Russia is self-sufficient enough to survive, China is VERY dependent upon imports for both Food and Energy.

Love his book 'The Accidental Superpower'.

bonfarr
AG
Great presentation thanks for posting.
JFABNRGR
AG
MeatDr said:

Warning: there isn't any gore, but video does show drone footage of probably dead or severely wounded Russian soldiers as well as a grenade being thrown on them.

These guys were dead before they ever got into the fight. Too scared and untrained. First evidence is how they followed each other exactly driving in the road. I am sure the rest of the video was edited to cut out the gore.

UKR on the other hand moving with a purpose and 360 security. I suspect this is early in the fight in Mariupol or this squad is new to the fight there. Uniforms untarnished and their movement is so fluid, I doubt they have been besieged for over a month. Or its not Mariupol but one of the towns not far. Would have been nice to see what took out the last 2 vehicles if that was same squad or others off frame because it looks like antitank type weapon hit.
MeatDr
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
GAC06 said:

To successfully engage incoming missiles, the CIWS actually has to be present and active. HMS Sheffield didn't have a CIWS to engage the exocets fired at it. Stark seemingly didn't turn hers on fast enough and engage early. The Hanit (Israeli frigate) also did not have her CIWS on because she did not suspect any kind of missile attack was possible.
USAFAg
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

GAC06 said:

To successfully engage incoming missiles, the CIWS actually has to be present and active. HMS Sheffield didn't have a CIWS to engage the exocets fired at it. Stark seemingly didn't turn hers on fast enough and engage early. The Hanit (Israeli frigate) also did not have her CIWS on because she did not dialect any kind of missile attack was possible.

Also, the USS Stark attack was unexpected from an Iraqi fighter (we were not at war) so they were caught by surprise and slow to react. Additionally, the CIWS on the Stark was masked by it's superstructure v. angle of attack so the ship also had to maneuver to unmask it. There just wasn't enough time.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
MeatDr
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
+1
BusterAg
AG
USA*** said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

GAC06 said:

To successfully engage incoming missiles, the CIWS actually has to be present and active. HMS Sheffield didn't have a CIWS to engage the exocets fired at it. Stark seemingly didn't turn hers on fast enough and engage early. The Hanit (Israeli frigate) also did not have her CIWS on because she did not dialect any kind of missile attack was possible.

Also, the USS Stark attack was unexpected from an Iraqi fighter (we were not at war) so they were caught by surprise and slow to react. Additionally, the CIWS on the Stark was masked by it's superstructure v. angle of attack so the ship also had to maneuver to unmask it. There just wasn't enough time.
That's what is pretty cool about Israel's Iron Dome idea. The anti-missile system can be supplemented by UAV's with laserbeams attached to their heads.

You get a little more distance between the ship and the likely direction of attack, and if the UAV goes down, everyone is on super high alert.

Obviously, weather could create problems, but the concept is really interesting.
lb3
AG
MeatDr said:

I guess my afternoon will be wasted silo hunting.
First Page Last Page
Page 504 of 1367

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.