***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,604,761 Views | 47847 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by 74OA
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiehawg
AG
What am I watching? Retreating RU helos?
benchmark
AG
3rd and 2 said:

After viewing images of the murdered civilians my heart is saying yes to a hot war with Russia. My head is saying mayyybe. Can we do some 'kinetic' attacks in Ukraine and blame it on someone else?
Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
wangus12
AG
agent-maroon said:

My grandfather was captured by the Nazis at Salerno and held as a POW in Poland. He froze his ass off and lost weight but never talked about being mistreated. He and a couple of other officers escaped when the Nazis were retreating from the Russian advance. While walking their way to safety they encountered a Russian patrol that stole their food at gunpoint but didn't kill them before moving on. Some Polish farmers gave them just enough that they didn't starve and they caught a rail car to Odessa & a British ship of some kind.

My grandfather hated the Germans, but he really, really, REALLY hated the Russians after that.
My great uncle was captured on the first days of the Bulge. Bounced around multiple POW camps in Germany and was a known trouble maker and again, never said he was mistreated. It wasn't a death sentence for troops to surrender to Nazi Germany. That same treatment wasn't expected for the Marines in the Pacific and the Russians seem to lean quite a bit that direction
Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

What am I watching? Retreating RU helos?

Redeployment from Belarus east, it appears.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks.
pocketrockets06
AG
I mean for an Aggie, you really should consider that the best analogy to Mariupol is actually Corregidor where the marines did surrender.

Surrounded by superior numbers. No possibility of relief before they starve to death. Low on ammo. Opponents who took POWs but mistreated them and civilians. Was it immoral for those Marines to surrender? Are they people who lacked fighting spirit as suggested by an earlier post from someone else on this topic? Or were the commanders justified in saving some of their men (yes even with the death March) vs spending their lives to no military purpose?

Sure those Marines could've staged a bayonet charge and taken a few more with them. Just like any Ukrainians who (allegedly) surrendered could have taken out a few more Russians. But for no military value.

Part of the reason the US military and other professional militaries fight well in dire circumstances is that they know their commanders won't spend their lives pointlessly. They will take a hill with horrendous casualties because they trust it is important to the war effort. Dying to the last man in a suicide attack is a breach of that trust. Surrender is an acceptable option when there are no longer reasonable means to resist (per the Code of the US Fighting Force).
benchmark
AG
aggiehawg said:

Bad move by Russia, IMO. That will draw more nations towards war.
Was in Egypt last week. It's a big deal. Egypt imports most of their wheat from Ukraine and Russia ... and wheat is one-third of Egypt's caloric intake per person. Not much these poor countries can do except watch.
aggiehawg
AG
benchmark said:

aggiehawg said:

Bad move by Russia, IMO. That will draw more nations towards war.
Was in Egypt last week. It's a big deal. Egypt imports most of their wheat from Ukraine and Russia ... and wheat is one-third of Egypt's caloric intake per person. Not much these poor countries can do except watch.
Or not.

That's how these World Wars start.
benchmark
AG
pocketrockets06 said:

I mean for an Aggie, you really should consider that the best analogy to Mariupol is actually Corregidor where the marines did surrender.
No, the best analogy is every single battle in the Pacific after Corregidor. And BTW, there weren't any Marines on Corregidor in 1942.

Edit. The smallish 4th Marine regiment (1,500) was at Corregidor and 500 died in captivity.
MeatDr
AG
OldArmy71
AG
benchmark said:

pocketrockets06 said:

No, the best analogy is every single battle in the Pacific after Corregidor. And BTW, there weren't any Marines on Corregidor in 1942.

Edit. The smallish 4th Marine regiment (1,500) was at Corregidor and 500 died in captivity.
Yes, I was about to correct you. My uncle, Paul A. Brown (A&M '28), Capt. USMC, was on Corregidor and eventually died in a Jap POW camp in Japan.
Rossticus

Rossticus
Rossticus

Rossticus

RebelE Infantry
AG
Eliminatus said:

Rossticus said:

Is interesting how Russia manages to get so much video of Ukrainians in the act of purportedly committing atrocities in Ukraine. It also seems that each time a video is released by Russian sources, it's deconstructed, leading to a successively released video that addresses those weaknesses.

I wouldn't bother with that account. You already know it's Russian based propaganda.

Except that in this case, the video is very real.
Rossticus
RebelE Infantry said:

Eliminatus said:

Rossticus said:

Is interesting how Russia manages to get so much video of Ukrainians in the act of purportedly committing atrocities in Ukraine. It also seems that each time a video is released by Russian sources, it's deconstructed, leading to a successively released video that addresses those weaknesses.

I wouldn't bother with that account. You already know it's Russian based propaganda.

Working to confirm original source, subjects, location, etc.

EDIT: Location Confirmed. Seems to have occurred here during the course of an ambush on Russian forces. Click tweet for thread and video.

Geolocation had to be inserted as an image since it linked to the video and would have been deleted by staff.

ATX_AG_08
AG
BusterAg
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

Eliminatus said:

Rossticus said:

How do you know?

Did you film it? Do you know the person that filmed it? Why such a strong stance on something that you absolutely cannot corroborate.

It might be real. It might be a really good fake.

You damage your credibility when you make claims with no support.
Rossticus
Rossticus
RebelE Infantry
AG
BusterAg said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Eliminatus said:

Rossticus said:

How do you know?

Did you film it? Do you know the person that filmed it? Why such a strong stance on something that you absolutely cannot corroborate.

It might be real. It might be a really good fake.

You damage your credibility when you make claims with no support.

Go watch those videos (there's a second showing an actual execution) and then come back here and say that with a straight face.
pocketrockets06
AG
The Marines didn't surrender in most of those other battles because they were winning and on the side with superior numbers and firepower. Note they did surrender in other places like Wake Island.

In the Corregidor example, 1000 of those 1500 got to go home to their families eventually. Would you really they rather all die to a man to take a few thousand more Japanese with them (assuming the Japanese didn't just starve them out)? It wouldn't have shortened the war at all or stopped any further Japanese captures of territory. They didn't even have a credible option of going guerilla because they were trapped on an island (not that dissimilar from Mariupol). I would love it if the Ukrainians could hold out a few more weeks and bleed the Russians but if they are out of ammo and food, there is no shame in surrendering.
Rossticus
Thank you staff/mod. Appreciate your hard (and seemingly endless) work.
thirdcoast
AG
Old Army Ghost
thats the best defense putin can come up with?
Rossticus
YOU GOT HIM!
chickencoupe16
AG
thirdcoast said:

That was definitely a double knot. The clip begins right as the guy is finishing untying the first of the two knots.
aggiehawg
AG
Old Army Ghost said:

thats the best defense putin can come up with?
LOL. Putin's troops have MREs from another decade. His troops would have zip ties?

Russia is a backwards country.
thirdcoast
AG
Quote:

That was definitely a double knot. The clip begins right as the guy is finishing untying the first of the two knots.

Do you think a Russian soldier put that cotton binding on that man and shot him where his body lay?

Maybe. Maybe the Russians wanted to taunt the West by putting all the bound bodies in the street. But maybe not....it would actually make more sense not to give the media such great fuel.

And F Putin/Russia
Rossticus
https://knews.kathimerini.com.cy/en/news/the-us-asks-cyprus-to-transfer-its-russian-made-weapons-to-ukraine

"In a significant move, US representatives in Cyprus have asked the government whether they would be willing to transfer the country's Russian-made weapons to Ukraine.

The request was received positively by President Nicos Anastasiades who gave the go-ahead for further discussions to be done quickly. This would mean that Cyprus will no longer remain neutral in the war, as is usually the case."
Rossticus
thirdcoast said:

Do you think a Russian soldier put that cotton binding on that man and shot him wear his body lay?

Maybe. Maybe the Russians wanted to taunt the West by putting all the bound bodies in the street. But maybe not....it would actually make more sense not to give the media such great fuel.

You really think that's the thought process of the Russian military?

Was it their though process in Syria? Nope

Chechnya? Nope

With regard to the millions of other civilians Russia/Soviets have killed over the course of past decades? Nope.

Some in Bucha were pulled into the streets and shot. Some were shot while riding their bikes. Some were shot in their cars. Some were raped and burned. Some were killed in basements. Some were stuffed in storm drains. Some were tossed into a giant trench where they had been burying them until they withdrew. Get the picture?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1511159445904310273.html

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1510354076642467840.html

aggiehawg
AG
thirdcoast said:

Do you think a Russian soldier put that cotton binding on that man and shot him wear his body lay?

Putin believed he had the internet shut down. And yes, they did that.

But then Elon Musk changed the internet situation and the truth gets out.
chickencoupe16
AG
thirdcoast said:

Quote:

Do you think a Russian soldier put that cotton binding on that man and shot him where his body lay?

And F Putin/Russia

The binding material is suspect, but you use what you've got (I assume, I've never executed anyone). As for leaving them in the street, I don't think the Russians actually care a whole lot about what the world thinks, especially not the average soldier.
First Page Last Page
Page 438 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.