***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,613,885 Views | 47853 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by 74OA
GAC06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Russia is going to claim whatever they capture in the East was the plan all along. They'll just memory hole all the talk about disarming and "de-nazifying" the whole country. Taking another chunk of Eastern Ukraine doesn't help Russia. That just leaves an even more Western leaning Ukraine behind.
aTmAg
AG
I haven't been reading this thread in detail, but what's the status on Tavriisk? Who owns it? To me that's central to the future of Crimea, as the canal that starts there is what provides fresh water to all of Crimea.
Ag In Ok
AG
Just watch those troops go to support the Russian assault on Sumy.
FriscoKid
AG
aggiehawg said:

SupaManu said:

AgLA06 said:

RebelE Infantry said:

I am of the belief that there is still a cauldron about to doom the Ukrainian forces in the south and east. Which is what I've believed the whole time.

Initially I thought that they would encircle Kiev but it appears that the tenacious defense prevented it or it was a feint. Probably some combination of both.
Then someone doesn't understand the definition of a military feint. Getting your ass kicked and taking the losses they did doesn't align with the definition of a feint. No intelligent person can look at this and say, "yep, that was just troop movements disguised as an assault on Kiev".

They had every intention of walking down main street in days just like we did in Iraq. Then reality happened.
100% wasn't a feint, that's straight up propaganda
Agree. Take the capitol and the government ceases to function.
They said on day one that they wanted to kill Zelensky. That was the plan. Take Kiev and install a new president. Russia got their asses kicked instead and had to settle for a smaller part. In fact, they might have to move more troops to the SE or risk losing everything.
lb3
AG
SupaManu said:

AgLA06 said:

RebelE Infantry said:

I am of the belief that there is still a cauldron about to doom the Ukrainian forces in the south and east. Which is what I've believed the whole time.

Initially I thought that they would encircle Kiev but it appears that the tenacious defense prevented it or it was a feint. Probably some combination of both.
Then someone doesn't understand the definition of a military feint. Getting your ass kicked and taking the losses they did doesn't align with the definition of a feint. No intelligent person can look at this and say, "yep, that was just troop movements disguised as an assault on Kiev".

They had every intention of walking down main street in days just like we did in Iraq. Then reality happened.
100% wasn't a feint, that's straight up propaganda
Russia thought their assassination teams and double agents would topple the government at the outset. The double agents double crossed the Russians and outed the assassins and then the Russians brigades headed to the capitol stalled.
ABATTBQ11
AG
They'll never admit to the true number, but no one can argue that it isn't high. Over a week ago NATO estimates were 7k KIA minimum and up to 15k. Russia has had roughly 300 KIA per day, putting them at about 10k minimum today and likely 12k-14k. Some even put it above 15k.

Quote:

Sean Maloney is a professor of military history at the Royal Military College who served as the Canadian army's historian for the conflict in Afghanistan. He told CBC that, based on his knowledge of Russia's military and sources inside of Belarus and Russia, the high-end NATO estimate of Russian casualties is likely accurate.

"I am confident, with the sources that I have, that the number of Russians killed in action is above 15,000," Maloney said.

Calling this anything other than a massive failure is just post hoc wishful thinking.

ETA You can tell this wasn't the plan because Russia has reportedly gone soft on key demands, which is a sign they believe they're no longer negotiating from a position of strength. They are willing to make concessions because they know they can't achieve their original goals, they're bleeding profusely, and a quicker end to the conflict while saving some face is their best possible outcome now.
JFABNRGR
AG
https://funker530.com/video/ukrainian-indirect-fire-destroys-three-russian-vehicles/

Amazing accuracy here. Is this smart munitions as one of the comments asks?
Rossticus
Interesting

MouthBQ98
AG
Russia's forces suffered from the problem that any authoritarian regime does: news and data traveling up the chain of command is always good news colored with rosy optimism. Nobody wants to risk reporting reality, and the leadership won't accept it in any event. Putin and his army went to war with the military they were promised they had and they greatly overestimated its capabilities because the officers from top to bottom feared to report reality to leadership.

They may have suspected such, having come up through that same system, but at worst they were aware that Ukrainians theoretically faced the same corruption and unpreparedness issues, and thru believed that they could bluff and intimidate Ukraine into a rapid capitulation.

Ukraine called the bluff and with a few early successes, rapidly won the morale battle and threw the attack plan any time table into chaos.

Now, instead of regime change and creating a ln occupied puppet state, they are having to re-deploy and take what they can get before lines stabilize too much and options for settlement become limited.
Rossticus
lb3
AG
Why haven't the Ukes taken out the Crimean bridge?
Is it lack of means or is this not a strategic target?

Rossticus
This is my surprised face. Macron must be one of the most gullible heads of state I've ever encountered if he really thought he'd talk Putin into a ceasefire for this.

Rossticus

MouthBQ98
AG
Russia can't commit too many more of its forces without waiting for extensive mobilization because they are deathly afraid or losing internal control and of other foreign territorial threats. They really do fear one of the Stans or China or even NATO coming at them, so they can't overcommit their available first line forces.
MouthBQ98
AG
What if they get it back?
LMCane
RebelE Infantry said:

aggiehawg said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see these troops show up somewhere on the Donbas front.
Imagine what 3 upgraded ATACMs from the American inventory ...

could do to that parking lot of Russian armor waiting to be loaded onto trains.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Pravda admitted to 9,900 KIA and and almost 17,000 WIA over a week ago. Those numbers are likely 25% higher today.

Ag In Ok
AG
Contingents - that mess US military trainers? What about private third party paramilitary training?
Also, cut to the chase, sales of more advanced AA missile systems? Or any other military hardware for that fact.
Rossticus
Long thread but good.

Unroll for non-Tweeters: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1508576678552825856.html
TXAggie2011
AG
AgLA06 said:

RebelE Infantry said:

JFABNRGR said:

RebelE Infantry said:

aggiehawg said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see these troops show up somewhere on the Donbas front.
They are definitely heading to support taking and holding the eastern land bridge (plan D). UKR still has a ton of work cut out and there is a good chance fresh reinforcing units from within russia reach these areas before the units NW & NE of Kviv can be reallocated.
To wit-

Not sure I agree with his statement of victory just yet, but a good overview that puts the different fronts in perspective relative to each other. Be sure to click through to read the whole thread.
That's almost propaganda. No way you commit the amount of forces to get chewed up they did from the north for a feint. Give me a break.
Not almost propaganda. It is propaganda. Scott Ritter has had a huge axe to grind with "the west" since the Saddam WMD stuff went down and in recent years has started working for Russia Today.

It is very possible that Russia has failed spectacularly in their effort to storm Kyiv and to still think they'll succeed in the east of Ukraine. But folks like Ritter who are trying really hard to explain away Kyiv so far..."doth protest too much."
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
Rebel E will never acknowledge that. It will always be, "a hack," or, "not official," despite it aligning with pretty much all third party estimates at the time. Ukraine's numbers are certainly optimistic, but that doesn't mean Russia's losses aren't extraordinarily high. Their pull back is nothing short of a strategic withdrawal.
Rossticus

Rossticus

Rossticus
clw04
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

The most reasonable assumption to make is that Russia went to Kiev trying to take over the capital. The expended too many resources to try and take airfields around Kyiv and then sending tanks well into Kyiv within the first few days.

It may have at some point changed into a holding operation due to the failure of the plan to take Kyiv due to the Ukrainian defense of the city and the ambushes behind the lines.
ABATTBQ11
AG

Yeah... This guy is a Russian shill, no doubt.
PJYoung
AG
GAC06 said:

Russia is going to claim whatever they capture in the East was the plan all along. They'll just memory hole all the talk about disarming and "de-nazifying" the whole country. Taking another chunk of Eastern Ukraine doesn't help Russia. That just leaves an even more Western leaning Ukraine behind.
Not to mention:

Greatly strengthening a fractured NATO.

Fast-tracking nations into NATO that were probably never going to join.

Waking up Germany to A) finally militarize B) reduce their dependence on Russian oil/gas.

Greatly reducing Europe's dependence on Russian oil/gas.

Destroying 30 years of Russian economic progress in a matter of weeks.

Cutting Russia off from Western technology and trade.

Possibly sending Russia down the North Korea route.

GarryowenAg
AG
Rossticus said:

So Mariupol isn't lost just yet.
aezmvp
Rossticus said:

For everyone else units with the Guards title are generally recognized as the best of their military and it is usually applied after a significant/notable success. Units generally get best troops, equipment and have most training time.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks. Did not know that.
lb3
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

What if they get it back?
I don't think there will be much traffic between a Ukrainian Crimea and Russia despite any neutrality agreements that may be signed.
Robk
Rossticus said:

Not at a place where I can find the tweets or articles, but somebody supposedly (posted on ANONNEWS twitter) DELETATED all the Civil Aviation Administration files AND backups. Basically their aviation administration is working from paper with no hopes of restoring.

actually found it
First Page Last Page
Page 409 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.