***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,632,679 Views | 47864 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by LMCane
Valtrex11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
one MEEN Ag said:

HTownAg98 said:

4the_Record said:

....sounds like a message to Poland and the Baltics as much as an attack on Ukraine

There are times when "Don't press send" on a middle launch is appropriate, and this is one of those times. Poland could handle Russia on their own right now. Throw in the other Baltic states, and it would be a bloodbath. And they may well decide to go all the way to Moscow for Russia's attempt to play FAFO.
This is when Moscow considers tactical nukes. The whole reason they wanted buffer states and the warsaw pact was so they could limit a military advance through only the north half of Germany. If all the Baltic states rise up and attack Moscow, they'll take it.

That would really put Putin in a corner. Forces pressing in on Moscow, if Russia uses tactical nukes it will surely result in immediate escalation into Russia getting sent back to the stone age.
Russia is not using Nukes under any circumstance hth
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

"We see little evidence of [Russian] recruiting in Syria to bring people back to Ukraine,"
@CENTCOM
commander Gen. Frank McKenzie says.

one MEEN Ag
AG
Valtrex11 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

HTownAg98 said:

4the_Record said:

....sounds like a message to Poland and the Baltics as much as an attack on Ukraine

There are times when "Don't press send" on a middle launch is appropriate, and this is one of those times. Poland could handle Russia on their own right now. Throw in the other Baltic states, and it would be a bloodbath. And they may well decide to go all the way to Moscow for Russia's attempt to play FAFO.
This is when Moscow considers tactical nukes. The whole reason they wanted buffer states and the warsaw pact was so they could limit a military advance through only the north half of Germany. If all the Baltic states rise up and attack Moscow, they'll take it.

That would really put Putin in a corner. Forces pressing in on Moscow, if Russia uses tactical nukes it will surely result in immediate escalation into Russia getting sent back to the stone age.
Glad you can be 100% certain of this. Especially when there is an dictator trying to recreate the USSR, failing, and being backed into a corner all while possessing 5000 nukes.

If Russia had taken Canada and was pushing down the north east to DC, about where geographically would you be screaming for our president to unleash the arsenal on the country that was attacking?

PJYoung
AG
Russia posts video and it ends up being one of their own helicopters making a forced landing after being hit.

What the hell is going on?

Pilot says: - Ya podbit (I've been hit).

PJYoung
AG
PJYoung said:

30!

Comeby!
AG
GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

Ok, another dumb question.... Is it a forgone conclusion that Russian nukes can reach our shores without being intercepted? I realize if they do indeed have these supersonic missiles then forget it, we are toast but I am talking about conventional intercontinental nukes...

We cannot intercept their ICBM's

Will they we able to reach mainland US? I see Europe in the line of fire but I don't see Asian counties being cool with Russia sending nukes overhead, especially seeing how janky their military operations are.
Waffledynamics
AG
PJYoung said:

He means Russia has lost that equipment, not Ukraine, correct?
Jock 07
AG
Comeby! said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

Ok, another dumb question.... Is it a forgone conclusion that Russian nukes can reach our shores without being intercepted? I realize if they do indeed have these supersonic missiles then forget it, we are toast but I am talking about conventional intercontinental nukes...

Will they we able to reach mainland US? I see Europe in the line of fire but I don't see Asian counties being cool with Russia sending nukes overhead, especially seeing how janky their military operations are.

They would come over the pole
GAC06
AG
Comeby! said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

They can easily reach us and they'd go over the arctic on the shortest route, not Asia. And if they did send them over Asia on a much longer route, what would would it matter who is "cool" with it?
LMCane
Comeby! said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

LOL when Russia fires their ICBMS they don't need to cross over Europe like it's a commercial airline flight. They can fire them over the poles and from Eastern Russia to the Aleutians and Alaska and down North America.
GAC06
AG
Commercial flights don't really go over Europe either between Russia and the US

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/curved-line-shortest-distance-between-two-points.899125/
Get Off My Lawn
Charpie said:

GarryowenAg said:

We'll see how accurate this is.
Huge if true.

This is when you go in and hit them hard.

**** Russia

Viva Ukraine
Typically missiles = rocket + guidance system. If Russia runs out of precision guided munitions, the options are "don't strike" or "switch to dumb munitions." Think of it as running out of snipers and either giving up or switching to folks throwing grenades. If they go for the latter: that's lots of HE landing indiscriminately in order to level the target. Lots of collateral damage.
GAC06
AG
Sorta. They're using missiles (cruise missiles launched from bombers, and Iskander and Tochka tactical ballistic missiles) to strike targets generally out of artillery range, like the airport at Lviv today. If they're out of missiles the options are not to hit deep targets or to try to bomb them with air strikes. They have that ability but it also puts their aircraft at risk and they're taking losses there as well.
Ulysses90
AG
PJYoung said:

Quote:

"We see little evidence of [Russian] recruiting in Syria to bring people back to Ukraine,"
@CENTCOM
commander Gen. Frank McKenzie says.

It bears repeating that Frank also publicly dismissed the possibility that the Taliban would rapidly capture Kabul if the US withdrew and that closing Bagram presented any significant risk. He's only prognosticating about Syrian forces so the consequences of being wrong are not really that serious.

On the other hand, if Frank McKenzie starts to make comments about the probability of Putin exercising first use of tactical nukes then I am not going to sleep very well. His record of underestimating threats is not that much different from how Robert Gates described Biden's record on foreign policy issues.
bonfarr
AG
Comeby! said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

The nukes go straight up into the edge of space and back down again over the target and the total flight time isn't very long, like 30 minutes before the warheads reach US soil.

If a full on launch were to take place there wouldn't be time for anyone to complain about it.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Ag In Ok
AG
Well, he and his team can count planes to / from Russia / Syria.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Waffledynamics said:

PJYoung said:

He means Russia has lost that equipment, not Ukraine, correct?
Yes, that is correct:
ttu_85
Valtrex11 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

HTownAg98 said:

4the_Record said:

A page or two back is Russia official nuke policy and to sum it up says "Nukes can be used to preserve the state."
Going after Moscow would be in Russia's view "Preserving the state"
Get Off My Lawn
Sure. I skipped some of the specifics. Just pointing out the double edge of this. PGMs help their user to prosecute targets more efficiently and with less collateral damage. (I.e. makes the user more surgical.) When that tool is exhausted; the conflict may turn bloodier.
The Fife
GAC06 said:

Sorta. They're using missiles (cruise missiles launched from bombers, and Iskander and Tochka tactical ballistic missiles) to strike targets generally out of artillery range, like the airport at Lviv today. If they're out of missiles the options are not to hit deep targets or to try to bomb them with air strikes. They have that ability but it also puts their aircraft at risk and they're taking losses there as well.
Do you mean using their TU-95 to strike Ukraine? I don't think I've heard much about those being a factor in this conflict despite being able to still being able to operate out of Russian airspace.
GAC06
AG
I guess it's possible but I doubt it, especially if Ukraine still has S-300's or other high altitude SAM's. If they really are out of missiles I'm guessing they'll largely stop deep strikes or use Su-34's or similar
ABATTBQ11
AG
The Fife said:

GAC06 said:

Do you mean using their TU-95 to strike Ukraine? I don't think I've heard much about those being a factor in this conflict despite being able to still being able to operate out of Russian airspace.

Tu-95 would get eaten alive if Ukraine has any S-300 or other medium range SAMs left. The only thing they could do is launch cruise missiles from Russian airspace.
GiggityAg01
AG
Comeby! said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

In the event that Russia and the US were destroyed in a nuclear holocaust "you violated my airspace" would be pretty far down the list of complaints.
Get Off My Lawn
And on the "going after Moscow" topic - projecting power is far harder than defending your home. Americans are terrible with our doctrine, but one piece gets drilled in: before assaulting you want a minimum advantage of 3:1. And as we see in Ukraine - advanced anti-armor weapons has exacerbated the asymmetrical capabilities of a defense in depth.

TLDR: Europe marching to Moscow is a fever dream.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Comeby! said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

They can launch them from submarines in the Pacific very easily.
It's not the severity of the punishment that deters crime; it's the certainty of it.
ttu_85
The Fife said:

GAC06 said:

Why use TU-95's ? its a strategic continental offensive weapon and its big and slow. Its only saving grace is the ability to fly high and yes the Ukraine would have trouble reaching them but if the ordinances carried by the TU-95 are like the rest of what we have seen, I dont think those munitions could hit the broad side of a barn with with a T-80 inside.

If I am Russia I reserve those for Western Europe and the USA in the event the US navy jumps my boomers or revels an unknown ability to bunker bust ICBM silos
G Martin 87
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

And on the "going after Moscow" topic - projecting power is far harder than defending your home. Americans are terrible with our doctrine, but one piece gets drilled in: before assaulting you want a minimum advantage of 3:1. And as we see in Ukraine - advanced anti-armor weapons has exacerbated the asymmetrical capabilities of a defense in depth.

TLDR: Europe marching to Moscow is a fever dream.
Europe marching to Moscow has happened twice before, so that's not really a fever dream from the Russian POV. Europe successfully marching on Moscow, yeah, that's the fever dream.
TRM
AG
TRM
AG
TRM
AG

Waffledynamics
AG
TRM said:

Uh oh. That could get spicy.

Question about NATO. If Poland joins the fight and gets struck on Polish territory, could that trigger Article 5?
VitruvianAg
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Comeby! said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

Uhhh, you think our anti-submarine warfare is asleep at the wheel?

No expert here but I would think land based Russian ICBM's would launch first then the submarines if we don't take them out first.

I know a few guys, some P3 pilots others Sub Comm experts, lots of people around D.C. that can answer questions that don't violate secrecy to give an idea of what happens when SHTF. Or is SHFT like our Russian friend on YouTube says!

30 minutes..... I may get out as far as the Blueridge from where I am but I'd have to be in my Jag pushing the 180mph capability and there would have to be no traffic.....I think I'd rather just watch the fireworks cause I'm not sure I want to be around for the aftermath. Got a little 3rd floor balcony looking toward DC to watch it all from.
TRM
AG
TRM
AG
More about the supply stock.
FancyKetchup14
AG
VitruvianAg said:

BadMoonRisin said:

Comeby! said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

Uhhh, you think our anti-submarine warfare is asleep at the wheel?

No expert here but I would think land based Russian ICBM's would launch first then the submarines if we don't take them out first.

I know a few guys, some P3 pilots others Sub Comm experts, lots of people around D.C. that can answer questions that don't violate secrecy to give an idea of what happens when SHTF. Or is SHFT like our Russian friend on YouTube says!

30 minutes..... I may get out as far as the Blueridge from where I am but I'd have to be in my Jag pushing the 180mph capability and there would have to be no traffic.....I think I'd rather just watch the fireworks cause I'm not sure I want to be around for the aftermath. Got a little 3rd floor balcony looking toward DC to watch it all from.

Yeah if nukes start flying Im running straight to downtown Houston and looking up like I'm trying to catch a pop fly.
First Page Last Page
Page 351 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.