***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,552,007 Views | 47732 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by 74OA
Cen-Tex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
IDaggie06 said:

SPSAg05 said:

Exhibit A on why you can't believe everything Ukraine puts out and disregard everything Russia puts out. Same with believing every tweet out there including on this thread. I'd guess only 30% of them are accurate. In this case, Russia was the ones saying this was all fake news and they were not killed but people said they were lying. Obviously Russia (along with China) are the kings of propaganda but it's not all one sided.

News is fake, war is real.
TRM
AG
AggieLit
bigangrytexan said:

Call your congressman. Demand that we and other NATO countries put a stop to this. Just a few drone strikes can neutralize all of their artillery.

I have a friend from Kharkiv, whose mother is still there. She says that her mother has been hiding in the hallway of their apartment building whenever there is noise. She has been sending her mother news updates (she is in Germany) to tell her when to hide.
Dilettante
Quote:

"These are the conditions in which runs on local banks begin," wrote Neil Shearing, chief economist at Capital Economics. "The [Russian central bank] has this morning raised interest rates to 20% but other measures (e.g. limits on deposit withdrawals) are possible later today. All of this will accelerate Russia's economic downturn a fall in GDP of [about] 5% now looks likely."
This makes it seem like the economic sanctions are overhyped, right? From what has been said on here, 5% seems incredibly low.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/28/business/russia-ruble-banks-sanctions/index.html
Jarrin' Jay
AG
I totally don't understand the Russian geopolitical play here (Putin error) or their plan of attack / battle (military error).

On the geopolitical side, having already taken Crimea in 2014, given the breakaway regions in the east and the formal recognition of those, Putin/Russia should have taken those "republics" and sent in their "peacekeepers" to claim and secure the Dobas region of Donetsk and Luhansk and then stood pat. Assimilate that and keep the political pressure on the rest of Ukraine with all the forces massed. Think it was a big mistake to invade. The eastern regions are pro-Russia / Russian, the rest of the country clearly does not identify as Russian. The goal was to have Ukraine be neutral at minimum, pro-Russia / anti-West and that could maybe be accomplished via political pressure. But, given the decision to invade....

I don't know WTH the Russian military is doing, other than a half-a** piecemeal job that they are now having to shore up with more forces.

• I don't think 130K soldiers is enough to invade such a large area, not even talking invade and hold, just invade period.
  • Understand the concept of reserves and defense in depth, but when you are the aggressor it needs to be overwhelming, sending in such a small'ish almost expeditionary force with reportedly conscripts has not gone well.
  • Not that I expected the Russian state media to broadcast the effort like we did the Gulf wars, but there is enough live reporting going to on to understand what is and is not happening overall.
  • Don't understand why there was not an initial 4-6 hour attack of guided missiles and rockets targeting Ukranine command and control and strategic sites such as airfields, etc., followed by a 24-36 hour concentrated attack by SU and Mig attack fighters to knock out all air defenses and establish air superiority. Followed by paratroopers to seize and control key bridges, particularly across the Dnieper river, then a coordinated multi-prong advance of armor supported by substantial infantry.
  • Russia does not have next-gen fighter/attack aircraft like the F-22 and F-35, but they have an abundance of very good aircraft on par with F-15/16/18 (though their avionics and weapons may still lag behind) and we have seen very little to almost no videos/reporting of an amount of sorties attacking UK command and control, airfields, strategic bridges and locations, defensive positions, etc.

The whole battle plan seems haphazard and just counting on UK to lay down and capitulate, not put up a fight. It just seems like on giant CF. Russia comitting more forces now and I think the entire outlook will change in the next 48 hours, at this point Putin and the Russian army have no choice but to commit to a full assault on all axes.

In the end I think Russia will take Ukraine in the short term, but this is going to be a long drawn out process and they will/may eventually lose. They can't hold the country with less than maybe 250K active troops, soldiers on the ground to occupy the country.
bigangrytexan
AG
ttu_85 said:

bigangrytexan said:

Call your congressman. Demand that we and other NATO countries put a stop to this. Just a few drone strikes can neutralize all of their artillery.

Yeah and a nuke strike could nuetralize:

Dallas, Atlanta, NY, LA, Chicago, Houston, and your grandma

Think with your head and not your emotions. This **** is how you kill a planet.
We have nukes too. We have deterrence. We can shoot ballistic missiles out of the sky.

Watch this video. Tell me when you finish it that we shouldn't stop this atrocity.

USMC 0231, 2003-2008
OIF, OEF
TRM
AG

bigangrytexan
AG
AggieLit said:

bigangrytexan said:

I have a friend from Kharkiv, whose mother is still there. She says that her mother has been hiding in the hallway of their apartment building whenever there is noise. She has been sending her mother news updates (she is in Germany) to tell her when to hide.

Your friend's mother needs to either 1) Evacuate from Kharkiv immediately (preferred) or 2) Go to the nearest Metro station and stay there. Anything aboveground is currently at risk, and the Russians haven't even used their most terrifying weapons yet.

Kharkiv is soon to look like Grozny or Beirut. Everyone who can't fight needs to get out now.

USMC 0231, 2003-2008
OIF, OEF
Spaceship
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Has there been an update from the poster whose family is in mariupol
If this is in reference to the posts I've made over the past couple days, my family is in Melitopol, not Mariupol, which is just west of Mariupol. Nevertheless, I can provide an update. We were getting twice daily updates from them until Saturday when the city went dark (no cell service, electricity or water). They were just able to get service back this morning (US time) and are able to send us text messages (calls are still hard). They are still hunkered down inside and warming up now that the heat is back on.

They said the Russians killed the city's power for two days because too many videos of dead Russians were getting out. Now that things have been "cleaned up" a bit, they restored power. The City has a lot of stores being looted for food, both by locals and Russian soldiers. They said they fighting is minimal, but the Russian army is firmly in control now and using Melitopol as a launch point for the region.

They said they are firmly aware of the support the western world is offering Ukraine, and it has a super meaningful effect on the country's morale. They said everyone there is very grateful. They also said the Ukrainians are banding together to share food, resources and shelters. There is very little hoarding or infighting. They are such an admirable people.
dodger02
AG
I am by no means a military expert. But I've thought about this, too.

My conclusions are:

• They either can't do any of those things effectively due to really ****ty military tech that we have simply overestimated throughout recent years and/or their military leadership is arrogant and stupid.

or

• The real goal is to goad NATO into war and they sent the JV in to do just that.
Dorm 15
AG
Any statements from the EU today?
Robk
Dorm 15 said:

Any statements from the EU today?
Probably not until after the meeting today between NATO, EU and other allies.
Strongweasel97
AG
Agree.

Russia is fully committed to the invasion and it looks like we're seeing the gloves come off with regards to collateral damage. If that's the case, Ukraine will eventually capitulate without foreign military interdiction or insurrection from within.

Even with bone headed tactics, the willingness to take unnecessary losses coupled with willingness to cause civilian and collateral damage is too much to overcome when you have an obscene amount of men/material.
Dilettante
Individual war crimes are not evidence, they are propaganda. The Ukrainians are doing bad things as well. No army has that level of control over each individual soldier. I guarantee every Russian citizen is watching videos of Ukrainians beating Indian evacuees, covering themselves in swastikas, and executing "saboteurs" who they have been told are likely regular Ukrainians.

Evidence needs to demonstrate something about the big picture, not simply that someone in the Russian army has no conscience. There are enough outrage pieces for both sides to have their fill.
AggieLit
aTmAg said:

The fact that Zalenski demands them to get out of Crimea is badass. That dude gets it. I wish we could elect him president of the US.
Actual photo of Zelensky in negotiations. (How do you embed???)

https://images.app.goo.gl/URiioeDJQaW7ak9CA
Engine10
AG
Who?mikejones!
Dang it
JobSecurity
AG
TASS is Russian media

nortex97
AG
China cuts off Russian oil trade financing. Umm, this seems like a big deal. Not surprised the CCP doesn't want to take a financial bath over this.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
#UKRANCE
Charpie
AG
Engine10 said:

Ag87H2O
AG
Engine10 said:

Russia isn't going to like this at all.
Gigem314
AG
Charpie said:

Engine10 said:

4D chess, Ukranian style
Dorm 15
AG
I just hope the EU does?
JobSecurity
AG
SidetrackAg
AG
Ag87H2O said:

Engine10 said:

Russia isn't going to like this at all.

Well Russia can go fck themselves
JobSecurity
AG

Charpie
AG
Who?mikejones!
So, if eu accepts, does it go to war?
Dorm 15
AG
Come on France, don't blink now.
GigEmRangers75455
The backbone of Zelensky is something I thought was only in movies. Every leader in the world should take notes.
Max Power
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

This has William Wallace vibes. They should add:

Every soldier will stop at the home of every man, woman, and child and beg for forgiveness.
JobSecurity
AG
RONA Ag
AG
Charpie said:

Sitting at my desk almost in tears about how much I want this for them and the people of Ukraine. Cannot imagine letting such an incredible people and nation slip into the hands of a fascist dictatorship.
Irish 2.0
First Page Last Page
Page 136 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.