***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,555,280 Views | 47734 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by 74OA
Agvet12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

htownag10 said:

Intense fighting just outside the Kyiv

I can't imagine just casually walking around while there is gunfire in what seems like close proximity.

That areas battle is over and they're pushing forward… he has 2 tanks for coverage and a squad + to the trees in his right. Looks like that skirmish on the road just ended and they're regrouping to next defensive point.

US forces do this too lol
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

If true, this is a key exposure of Ukraine's propaganda machines. Anything that sounds too good to be true and too movie-like probably is.
But if it helped rally the Ukes even the least little bit, can you really say that it was wrong for them to do so?

Whatever they're doing is working IMO
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JobSecurity
AG
Jayhawk
The sun has set on Day 3 and all major objective areas remain in Ukrainian hands with significant casualties inflicted upon the invader.
ttu_85
BD88 said:

Take it to them…

Attacking Russian moms and Kids is no better than attacking Ukrainian Moms and kids.

Keep the civies out of it.
JobSecurity
AG
looks like Russia actually has twitter blocked so this may not be true or matter but leaving it anyway
Jayhawk
ttu_85 said:

BD88 said:

Take it to them…

Attacking Russian moms and Kids is no better than attacking Ukrainian Moms and kids.

This is almost certainly the FSB..

The same people who claim they had to invade Ukraine to de-Nazify it...
MaroonStain
AG
SidetrackAg said:

htownag10 said:

Intense fighting just outside the Kyiv

Straight up BALLS walking and laughing so calm in that situation

Wow! Just wow! They are just looking for targets with Ruskies armor smoking everywhere.
SidsBurnerAccount
RONA Ag said:

Hope it's not media bias but it seems nato and the EU are all in one way or another falling in line with armament support. When will we hear that Russia has been ejected from Swift?
https://www.foxnews.com/world/europe-close-to-approving-swift-germany-wary

Not yet, but appears to be soon
YouBet
AG
SidsBurnerAccount said:

RONA Ag said:

Hope it's not media bias but it seems nato and the EU are all in one way or another falling in line with armament support. When will we hear that Russia has been ejected from Swift?
https://www.foxnews.com/world/europe-close-to-approving-swift-germany-wary

Not yet, but appears to be soon

Germany still holding out and continues to be a global embarrassment which seems to be a never-ending theme for that country.

In other news, and considering the context of their current hold out on SWIFT, they have also announced they plan to do nothing about resolving their energy dependence on Russia:

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news-2022-02-26

Quote:

Spokesmen for German utilities E.On SE and Energie Baden-Wrttemberg AG, known as EnBW, said their companies also rejected reopening a debate about nuclear power in Germany.
Htownag11
AG
I think this discussion of "banned" cluster munitions is silly. You know what else is "banned"? Invading f'ing Ukraine.
Irish 2.0
Something I just noticed, the weather got a lot warmer in Ukraine today? Lots of melted snow and the temps aren't going to be below freezing for sustained periods of time. Could this hinder the progression of the Russians as they try to move in heavier equipment?
Gordo14
Jayhawk said:

ttu_85 said:

BD88 said:

Take it to them…

This is almost certainly the FSB..

The same people who claim they had to invade Ukraine to de-Nazify it...

It's almost as if Putin consolidated power by bombing his own people in 1999 in their appartments and blaming Chechnya for it.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
ttu_85 said:

BD88 said:

Interesting. I hope it was the Ukrainians and not us. Cyber attacks from the west could destabilize things and spread the conflict.

Hmm, if I am China I'd kick around the idea of launching cyber attacks against both the US and Russian Federation. And make it look like it sourced from either side. Evil I know but I half expect China to try something like this.

I hope we are very, very careful on this front and make no mistake this is a major 21st C battle front.

I've got a buddy who does websites who said he spent the last two days blocking Russian IP addresses because they've been trying to take US and Western European offline since this started. He said both sides are doing the same thing.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Funky Winkerbean
AG
ttu_85 said:

BD88 said:

Take it to them…

Terrorists must be licking their chops at kicking off a world war. Dangerous times we are in.
AgsMyDude
AG
Waffledynamics said:

agent-maroon said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Oops
Embarrassing from a propaganda standpoint if true, but can't say I'm disappointed that these men still live.

If true, this is a key exposure of Ukraine's propaganda machines. Anything that sounds too good to be true and too movie-like probably is.

Not sure I trust Russians with Attitude here
SPSAg05
AG
RebelE Infantry
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Waffledynamics said:

agent-maroon said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Oops
Embarrassing from a propaganda standpoint if true, but can't say I'm disappointed that these men still live.

Fair enough, but they are directly quoting official Ukrainian government statement.
ttu_85
Red Pear Realty said:

ttu_85 said:

BD88 said:

Interesting. I hope it was the Ukrainians and not us. Cyber attacks from the west could destabilize things and spread the conflict.

Hmm, if I am China I'd kick around the idea of launching cyber attacks against both the US and Russian Federation. And make it look like it sourced from either side. Evil I know but I half expect China to try something like this.

I hope we are very, very careful on this front and make no mistake this is a major 21st C battle front.

I've got a buddy who does websites who said he spent the last two days blocking Russian IP addresses because they've been trying to take US and Western European offline since this started. He said both sides are doing the same thing.
Spoofing IP addresses is kinda easy these days. Unfortunately. A real cyber attack goes way beyond this my friend.
AgsMyDude
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

AgsMyDude said:

Waffledynamics said:

agent-maroon said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Oops

Fair enough, but they are directly quoting official Ukrainian government statement.

It's a screenshot, however, that they could have manufactured themselves. They didn't actually provide a link or anything to the original post so questionable.

74OA
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Eliminatus said:

fullback44 said:

hunter2012 said:

How are the Ukes dealing with the heavy armor? Because I figired they would be able to roll through every major city by now and this obviously hasn't happened.
One answer NLAW, Javelins, Stingers, and other similar donated weapons..,

Think about what Russia is doing, they are attaching using the major highways … all Ukraine has to do is know the major highways the Russians are coming from, line up 20 or 30 Ukrainian soldiers with NLAWs and Javelins and that line of equipment can be shut down, that heavy armor equipment is getting blown to pieces, once they stop them in the front of the convoy, then they ambush the other vehicles, it seems this is what they are doing everywhere.. the west needs to keep supplying the NLAWs and Javelin type units and Ukraine may be able to cause a lot of serious issues for Russia

One of the things about this conflict is that every single nation is watching and taking notes. It's not every day we get to see frontline Russian armies fighting and I promise we are absorbing every byte of data we can from this.

It has long been said that main battle tanks will eventually go the way of the battleship. Not sure if that is true any time soon but once again the effectiveness of man portable anti armor weapons is really showing right now in the neverending arrow vs chest plate battle. Armor will catch up again I am sure but seeing a LOT of catastrophic kills on Russian armor. Tanks and AFVs just ripped open. (Also why I won't discount the casualty numbers out of hand)

The resource exchange is heinous though. A $20K rocket vs a several million dollar T80 and the trained professionals manning it who likely never saw their death coming.

Russian tanks do not have internally separate ammunition storage, so any penetrative hit has a reasonably good chance of detonating internal ammunition.

Modern Western tanks are considerably less vulnerable to this with separated storage in the turret bustle and blow out panels, but they are clearly more vulnerable from a top down attack also unless re-armored for it.

Next generation armor will probably account for that threat somehow, possibly by being smaller and highly automated, as it still has value on the battlefield due to mobility and firepower.
The contest between tank armor and anti-tank weapons has been going on for over a century. The US M-1 tank is the most capable and survivable tank in the world because the US Army has regularly updated it to counter anti-tank weapons. In addition to constant modernization, the best protection any tank has is to be properly employed as part of a combined arms team in which armor, artillery and infantry all work in mutual support. Good descriptions of the M-1's latest modernization:

M-1A2SEPv3
TROPHY
ARAT
richardag
JobSecurity said:

I had not heard or seen were the U.S. agreed?
MaroonStain
AG
So the Ruskies are playing meme and propaganda games but their soldiers are out of fuel, out of food and no idea where they are not the state of the war?
Jock 07
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Something I just noticed, the weather got a lot warmer in Ukraine today? Lots of melted snow and the temps aren't going to be below freezing for sustained periods of time. Could this hinder the progression of the Russians as they try to move in heavier equipment?

I would assume so. Pretty sure they waited til the ground froze to make the initial push.
YouBet
AG
richardag said:

JobSecurity said:

I had not heard or seen were the U.S. agreed?
Not sure they need us for this decision? Half the traffic happens in Europe. We are a minority user.
MouthBQ98
AG
ERA is not that often put on the tops of armored vehicles as most direct fire AT weapons hit the sides and front.

Tanks are there to first defeat other armored vehicles that are threats, then defeat infantry with machine guns and superior mobility that infantry can't counter…with the exception of these newer western AT weapons. If your forces expect to mostly encounter enemy tanks as a threat, then you use your best to defeat theirs. Russia probably did that, but these AT missiles are just very effective.
YouBet
AG
Visual on SWIFT traffic:

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news-2022-02-26/card/how-the-swift-global-payment-network-works-a-visual-tLkUPOaYRLWrOzRZLoP9
buzzardb267
AG
Are the armored vehicles shown in the CNN report different than what we have seen destroyed in videos from the battles? Also, that NLAW looks a LOT different from the LAW we played with in the 60s!
nhamp07
AG
If this thread from Former Chief of Defence of Estonia and EU Parliamentarian is accurate...

AgsMyDude
AG
nhamp07 said:

If this thread from Former Chief of Defence of Estonia and EU Parliamentarian is accurate...

Just came to post this from that thread

aezmvp
Some of that might be right but this seems like propoganda.
richardag
PWestAg18 said:

richardag said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

I'm no adept student of the matter, but I never figured Putin too be an inept tactician.
He was KGB not military and who knows how he surrounded himself with his current military leaders.
I also think Putin legitimately believes the former USSR states want to "get the gang back together" in the same way he does, and he didn't expect the entire populace of Ukraine to unite and fight back like this. My guess is nobody else in the room had the balls to tell him he was wrong either.
I think this is a very good point.
DapperDanMan
AG
Ag In Ok said:

Bet most are.
50k plus sent in along with conscripting healthcare workers - they are expecting some serious bloodshed. There won't be a baby boom in Russia after this. If urkraned pulls this off and sues for peace (gets their land back, especially Snake Island) they will experience a huge economic and baby boom. The west will make them rich enough to start buying or building their own hardware.
However i think the blood russia is willing to shed will eventually lead to victory. So long as they can afford to fight the war.

I've already told my wife we're going there on vacation as soon as they win and everything is back to normal. I want to share my tourist dollars with these true warriors!
agsalaska
AG

Edit to add- She is a member of Congress.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Jayhawk
First Page Last Page
Page 79 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.