***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,557,002 Views | 47736 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by ABATTBQ11
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BusterAg said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Don't know if this is for this thread or the other

But, really????
If our leaders had any testicles at all, we would be assisting the Ukraine with informational intelligence to help them blow the hell out of the Nord Stream pipeline. I would think that a well armed commando unit coming in to Russia from Finland could likely find a weak spot. It's a lot of pipe to defend.

here's a question: WHY would Biden do that?!

He literally stopped Trump's sanctions -and APPROVED the development of Nordstream 2!

why would he turn around now and blow up Nordstream 1?!
jabberwalkie09
AG

If the fighting in Kherson is really heavy enough to stall the Russians and keep them entangled there, I'm quite proud of them.

jabberwalkie09
AG
LMCane said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

what is the point of showing this type of video of massive Russian forces being confronted by one individual Uke citizen?

I don't see how that adds to our knowledge of the tactical and strategic situation

Same as what we saw with the lady who was telling the Russians to put sunflower seeds in their pockets. It's depicting a growing sentiment towards partisan action imo.
Waffledynamics
AG
erudite said:

Reports of a successful ambush against the Russians in Kiev

Damn.
Eliminatus
AG
erudite said:

From a lot of videos I have seen and this video here, it REALLY seems like the Russians don't have much tactical coordination. It looks like a lot of them are getting separated and killed piecemeal.

Like this video above, they get shot up, coast off the road and die alone, even as the rest of the column keeps going behind them.
Strongweasel97
AG
I've seen the close up aftermath on that one. It's Ukranian uniforms coming out of that truck. So either they were Russians, for some reason dressed as Ukraine regulars, or more likely, citizens just took out their own regulars.
JobSecurity
AG
What are the next steps if they are able to get to Zelensky? Russia has made it pretty clear they don't want to occupy the whole country or even all of Kiev. Does Ukraine have the ability and fortitude to withstand their top government officials being taken out?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Strongweasel97 said:

I've seen the close up aftermath on that one. It's Ukranian uniforms coming out of that truck. So either they were Russians, for some reason dressed as Ukraine regulars, or more likely, citizens just took out their own regulars.

There were reports of Russian saboteurs in Ukrainian uniforms. I think that was them.
jabberwalkie09
AG
LMCane said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

frankly that is hilarious that the Ukrainian FM is using "Never Again" as a rallying cry.

Considering that the Ukrainians were initially strong supporters and allies of the Nazis in 1941

and did more than almost any other people to hunt down their Jews and murder them.

IIRC the Ukrainians sent troops to Iraq and to Afghanistan, which was essentially in support of the GWOT. I'm thinking he's echoing that.
redline248
AG
JobSecurity said:

What are the next steps if they are able to get to Zelensky? Russia has made it pretty clear they don't want to occupy the whole country or even all of Kiev. Does Ukraine have the ability and fortitude to withstand their top government officials being taken out?
I'm not sure I'd believe this.
hunter2012
AG
Eliminatus said:

erudite said:

From a lot of videos I have seen and this video here, it REALLY seems like the Russians don't have much tactical coordination. It looks like a lot of them are getting separated and killed piecemeal.

Like this video above, they get shot up, coast off the road and die alone, even as the rest of the column keeps going behind them.

I've heard that Russians have a different mantra regarding fighting for the home country. We talk about whether we're willing to serve or to fight, Russians say they're willing to die. This could affect the doctrine as well.
YouBet
AG
SIAP: WSJ is reporting that Russia has agreed to meet with Ukrainian leaders in Belarus.

Obligatory:

AggieLit
BusterAg said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Don't know if this is for this thread or the other

But, really????
If our leaders had any testicles at all, we would be assisting the Ukraine with informational intelligence to help them blow the hell out of the Nord Stream pipeline. I would think that a well armed commando unit coming in to Russia from Finland could likely find a weak spot. It's a lot of pipe to defend.
Just for some perspective on how difficult it is to cut off the movement of energy in the world during wartime, in World War II Standard Oil of New Jersey (later Exxon) continued to supply Germany with oil through agreements made before the war, using a Spanish intermediary that was outside of regulations. This despite the fact that Walter Teagle, Standard's chairman, had two sons in the U.S. Army Air Corps. So oil that was mostly produced in East Texas was moving to Germany throughout the war.
erudite
nortex97 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

FireAg said:

Gonna find out how good the Russians are at guerrilla warfare…

The US was not very good at it at all going into Afghanistan and Iraq and had to learn on the fly…

And while we aren't great at non centralized command, the Russians are even worse.

Though they'll also have way looser ROEs so that might be a wash.
Very true on the ROE, and notably in our PC army as well as others handling things like guerrilla warfare in enemy territory is a very perishable skill. But the Russians have some leadership with experience from Syria/other places, too (though the muslim groups there are not very skilled in general, imho).

The Russian army has a reputation for not worrying about civilian casualties etc. I don't know if that is really fair or just more of an 'old army/war' attitude, but I bet this gets pretty darn ugly this weekend.
The general Russian line infantry (not their officers) don't even know how to use a map. It's because the Russian/Soviet doctrine has quite the disdain for initiative since the entire force must attack as a whole across the front.

There are some rumors the Russians brought in the Chechens for the assault on Kiev, that's going to be a fun one to watch. They supposedly brought in the 131st Motor-Rifle, which was the one who did the assault on Gronzy.
Strongweasel97
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

There were reports of Russian saboteurs in Ukrainian uniforms. I think that was them.
Yeah, I've heard that, but am skeptical....it just seems like it'd be a lot easier to commit acts of sabotage by driving a civilian vehicle in a track suit/local attire. But who knows.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Eliminatus said:

erudite said:

What concerns me was the AA asset that looked like it rolled through in the background. That looked like a Strela-10. Not sure it would do much good in a city with high buildings but I'm sure they could reposition into an area to be effective.
AgLiving06
Russia does not want that kind of war for the same reason the US doesn't. You are at a disadvantage against the people who live there and it's a slow and tedious fight with tons of risk.

If Putin doesn't overwhelm them immediately, I think Russia is in some trouble against long term resistance.
Build It
AG
Things in Moscow need to start blowing up soon. Hoping the fight can be taken to them.
AgLiving06
redline248 said:

JobSecurity said:

Putin will install a puppet government and then "leave"
TRM
AG
Good thread if you need to get caught up.
erudite
jabberwalkie09 said:

Eliminatus said:

erudite said:

What concerns me was the AA asset that looked like it rolled through in the background. That looked like a Strela-10. Not sure it would do much good in a city with high buildings but I'm sure they could reposition into an area to be effective.
Honestly MANPADS are most effective in urban settings, but infantry is literally most effective in any difficult terrain.
Again, like I said, the Soviets did not teach the line infantry to use maps, and while the Russians may have (I am unsure), Deep Battle has a disdain for autonomous unit initiative below the Army Group level because it is viewed to destroy the cohesion of the entire operation.
Eliminatus
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

Damn. If they were saboteurs I'd doubt they'd wouldn't be rolling with a Strela 10 as seen. Definitely not the dark green uniforms of standard Russian forces either.

This actually may legit be blue on blue on second look.
wessimo
AG
Build It said:

Things in Moscow need to start blowing up soon. Hoping the fight can be taken to them.

No, don't need to build public support for the war in Russia.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Strongweasel97 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

Yeah, I've heard that, but am skeptical....it just seems like it'd be a lot easier to commit acts of sabotage by driving a civilian vehicle in a track suit/local attire. But who knows.

At this point movement within and to Kyiv is likely restricted to military and government personnel. Putting on a uniform allows for a certain degree of movement.
Eliminatus
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

At this point movement within and to Kyiv is likely restricted to military and government personnel. Putting on a uniform allows for a certain degree of movement.
Anyone confirm if Kiev is fully surrounded then? Not trusting Russia sources
Waffledynamics
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
wessimo said:

Build It said:

No, don't need to build public support for the war in Russia.

Pretty sure a lot of Russians would be pissed if Putin brought terrorism home after invading a non-aggressive neighbor.
fightingfarmer09
Strongweasel97 said:

It was reported last night that the Russians were taking Ukraine uniforms and vehicles. Maybe this is part of that.
BusterAg
AG
TRM said:

They should hit some air fields in Belarus too.
They need to blow up the f'ing Nord Pipeline.
jabberwalkie09
AG
erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Eliminatus said:

erudite said:

Honestly MANPADS are most effective in urban settings, but infantry is literally most effective in any difficult terrain.
Again, like I said, the Soviets did not teach the line infantry to use maps, and while the Russians may have (I am unsure), Deep Battle has a disdain for autonomous unit initiative below the Army Group level because it is viewed to destroy the cohesion of the entire operation.

Right, I'd assume they are basically going to use those time of assets as cover to move forward though the city.
erudite

Claims that the radiation is being kicked up after a waste storage facility was hit by a strike earlier yesterday near Pripyat (Chernobyl NPP area).
EDIT: SOURCE UNKNOWN. TAKE WITH SALT.
Russian claims that the levels are around 5,000 due to dust from unit movement.
JJxvi
AG
AgLiving06 said:

redline248 said:

JobSecurity said:

Putin will install a puppet government and then "leave"
That seems like what the stated goal is, but it seems like lunacy. A government that was seen as being his puppet has already been run out on a rail by popular protest within the last decade. The Russian army is going to have to stick around and forcefully maintain any puppet government he wants. Putin is on a road where the best case scenario for him is "Iraq Mission Accomplished speech" then losing tens of thousands of troops over how ever many years...
jabberwalkie09
AG
redline248
AG
Waffledynamics said:

did they find a 2nd year Russian language learner at some university to translate that?
jabberwalkie09
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 43 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.