***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,556,797 Views | 47736 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by ABATTBQ11
bkag9824
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Fairly ignorant on this topic...

Is this normal talk coming from Russia? Or is this a step change in the way Russia communicates its disdain for the expansion of NATO, specifically regarding these two countries?

Because on face value that seems to be pretty serious talk at a time like this...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Eliminatus said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

I've seen the close up aftermath on that one. It's Ukranian uniforms coming out of that truck. So either they were Russians, for some reason dressed as Ukraine regulars, or more likely, citizens just took out their own regulars.

There were reports of Russian saboteurs in Ukrainian uniforms. I think that was them.
Yeah, I've heard that, but am skeptical....it just seems like it'd be a lot easier to commit acts of sabotage by driving a civilian vehicle in a track suit/local attire. But who knows.

At this point movement within and to Kyiv is likely restricted to military and government personnel. Putting on a uniform allows for a certain degree of movement.
Anyone confirm if Kiev is fully surrounded then? Not trusting Russia sources

I haven't seen confirmation of Kyive being cordoned off. The traffic on Twitter I've seen suggests that Russian forces are advancing from the north and west.
erudite
JJxvi said:

AgLiving06 said:

redline248 said:

JobSecurity said:

What are the next steps if they are able to get to Zelensky? Russia has made it pretty clear they don't want to occupy the whole country or even all of Kiev. Does Ukraine have the ability and fortitude to withstand their top government officials being taken out?
I'm not sure I'd believe this.

Putin will install a puppet government and then "leave"
That seems like what the stated goal is, but it seems like lunacy. A government that was seen as being his puppet has already been run out on a rail by popular protest within the last decade. The Russian army is going to have to stick around and forcefully maintain any puppet government he wants. Putin is on a road where the best case scenario for him is "Iraq Mission Accomplished speech" then losing tens of thousands of troops over how ever many years...
I originally thought he would take Donetsk/Luhansk, but I think Putin and his backers may be aiming for the coastline, and leaving a rump state in the west. Draw a line from Kiev to Odessa and leave a rump state in the west (These are the most rabid anti-Russia areas too).

It's a very, very dangerous gamble with Russia current state and demographics. Putin and his oligarchs have gambled the lives Russia as a society on taking over Eastern Ukraine. For what reason? We do not know, but my guess, population, agriculture (Ukraine was the "breadbasket" of the USSR), Defense (?) and maybe off shore minerals.
Edit: See the diagonal red line on map.
Don't forget that Russians units are in a disputed part of Moldova as well.
japantiger
S
[This is a thread about the tactical aspects of the war and we are keeping a tight lid on derails. There is your warning. -Staff]
jabberwalkie09
AG

That's a lot of BUK systems.
jabberwalkie09
AG

Jesus Christ. Strela-10 runs over civilian vehicle and the driver miraculously survives.
Premium
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Jesus Christ. Strela-10 runs over civilian vehicle and the driver miraculously survives.
That's miraculous
TX04Aggie
AG
BBC just showed a close up of bystanders pulling him out. That car was flattened and somehow an old man just sitting there seemingly ok.

Premium
AG
Why would a freaking tank do that to a civilian. There is war and then there is evil. That's evil.
SouthTex99
AG
erudite
jabberwalkie09 said:

Looks like 1 MT-LBV (Infantry Transport), 1 Acquisition Radar unit, 1 Reloading vehicle, 1 Command vehicle, 5-6 Tractor Erector Launchers (They have intergrated radars on top but can link to a larger radar unit).
They aren't the Buk M3, those have enclosed disposable missile tubes for storage.

[The warning that we put in the OP will be in effect as of this post. - Staff]
AgsMnn
AG
Premium said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

That's miraculous

What kind of car is that?

They just got their best advertisement in an awful event.
LMCane
Waffledynamics said:

Finland should have applied to NATO yesterday.

they have a uniform population with no Russians, they are good fighters and have good terrain for defense.
Strongweasel97
AG
Premium said:

Why would a freaking tank do that to a civilian. There is war and then there is evil. That's evil.
Take a look at the live video earlier in this thread. Looks like driver lost control and veered into it....from one video it did appear to be taking small arms fire from the apartment complex. But driver might just suck.
Eliminatus
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Eliminatus said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

I've seen the close up aftermath on that one. It's Ukranian uniforms coming out of that truck. So either they were Russians, for some reason dressed as Ukraine regulars, or more likely, citizens just took out their own regulars.

There were reports of Russian saboteurs in Ukrainian uniforms. I think that was them.
Yeah, I've heard that, but am skeptical....it just seems like it'd be a lot easier to commit acts of sabotage by driving a civilian vehicle in a track suit/local attire. But who knows.

At this point movement within and to Kyiv is likely restricted to military and government personnel. Putting on a uniform allows for a certain degree of movement.

I haven't seen confirmation of Kyive being cordoned off. The traffic on Twitter I've seen suggests that Russian forces are advancing from the north and west.
Thanks. Also not seeing any real fortifications being built anywhere. Everything Ukraine is saying is that they will turn it into Stalingrad 2.0 but not seeing real prep for it either. The Russkies are definitely in the northern burbs to some extent already but nothing I have seen indicates a slogging battle yet.

But could be that the Ukes have been pretty good about being mum when it comes their forces and capabilities, even on social media. Their MOD did ask for that at the onset and looks like they are taking it seriously.
LMCane
AgsMnn said:

Premium said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

That's miraculous

Is that barbaric

or are they worried about suicide car bombs like we experienced every day in Iraq?
BQ_90
AG
erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Looks like 1 MT-LBV (Infantry Transport), 1 Acquisition Radar unit, 1 Reloading vehicle, 1 Command vehicle, 5-6 Tractor Erector Launchers (They have intergrated radars on top but can link to a larger radar unit).
They aren't the Buk M3, those have enclosed disposable missile tubes for storage.

seems like pretty soft target without any infantry protection, where are the javilines or anti tank weapons?
DapperDanMan
AG
There was an active gun fight going on immediately across the street as seen in other videos. Not sure if that Strela thought shots were coming from that car or were distracted by the fighting and hit it by accident. They could also just be skcid.
aeroag14
AG
LMCane said:

AgsMnn said:

Premium said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

That's miraculous

Is that barbaric

or are they worried about suicide car bombs like we experienced every day in Iraq?

Yes it is barbaric
jabberwalkie09
AG
erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

I thought I counted 4 launcher platforms. The radome is only on the launcher platform correct?
Eliminatus
AG
Strongweasel97 said:

Premium said:

Take a look at the live video earlier in this thread. Looks like driver lost control and veered into it....from one video it did appear to be taking small arms fire from the apartment complex. But driver might just suck.
Drivers under duress do not make the smartest decisions. Saw that personally several times in Iraq. Lots of dead Iraqis that didn't have to be.

Either way, it truly highlights what fighting in a built up urban area will entail. Civilians always die in wars. It's just in much greater numbers when this happens.

That being said, urban fighting is probably the only real chance the Ukes have.
TacosaurusRex
BQ_90 said:

erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

seems like pretty soft target without any infantry protection, where are the javilines or anti tank weapons?

Hell. Where are the IED's? Why are these a holes driving around without a worry in the world?
Waffledynamics
AG
Not sure if anyone here uses Discord, but this seems to be a really interesting server with a lot of quick updates and discussion. the Situation Room channel is very active. It could be a source of content for this thread.

https://discord.gg/vyBG3VZB
LMCane
erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

ONE tank could have shot up that entire column!

they don't even have light armaments to defend themselves and no accompanying infantry for the first 12 vehicles!

even an RPG would have set on the fire the crew cabin.
erudite
jabberwalkie09 said:

erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

I thought I counted 4 launcher platforms. The radome is only on the launcher platform correct?
Correct. My bad. 1st unit is the command unit, 2nd is the link capable larger radar (It's radar is folded down, Buk TEL cannot fold down radio dome AFAIK). The one with a weird crane like is the rearming unit.
LMCane
TacosaurusRex said:

BQ_90 said:

erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Hell. Where are the IED's? Why are these a holes driving around without a worry in the world?

Welcome to the party. So that's three of us all seeing the exact same thing from a military perspective-

the Russkies are driving soft skinned vehicles right down a road as if on a parade for May Day in Moscow.

and there is not even a platoon of defenders anywhere to fire mortars or RPGs or machine guns at them.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Eliminatus said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Eliminatus said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

Thanks. Also not seeing any real fortifications being built anywhere. Everything Ukraine is saying is that they will turn it into Stalingrad 2.0 but not seeing real prep for it either. The Russkies are definitely in the northern burbs to some extent already but nothing I have seen indicates a slogging battle yet.

But could be that the Ukes have been pretty good about being mum when it comes their forces and capabilities, even on social media. Their MOD did ask for that at the onset and looks like they are taking it seriously.

Me neither. I would think that the Ukrainians would start moving vehicles and stuff to clog up the road ways to inhibit armor movement.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Strongweasel97 said:

Premium said:

Yes, there's another video from across the street. Troop carrier that came by minutes before got shot to pieces. They were definitely under fire. Maybe they lost control or thought the car was shooting at them.
jabberwalkie09
AG
erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Correct. My bad.

No worries. Just wanted to make sure I had my identification right.
Waffledynamics
AG
LMCane said:

TacosaurusRex said:

BQ_90 said:

erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Welcome to the party. So that's three of us all seeing the exact same thing from a military perspective-

the Russkies are driving soft skinned vehicles right down a road as if on a parade for May Day in Moscow.

and there is not even a platoon of defenders anywhere to fire mortars or RPGs or machine guns at them.
Could this be because the Ukrainians are effectively beaten and are consolidating for a smaller defense?
dc509
AG
How did the Ukrainians fair overnight? I've seen few reports that Kyiv is expected to fall relatively soon.
Rapier108
LMCane said:

erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

ONE tank could have shot up that entire column!

they don't even have light armaments to defend themselves and no accompanying infantry for the first 12 vehicles!

even an RPG would have set on the fire the crew cabin.
Perhaps the tanks and APCs had already passed by. That's one problem with short video clips like that; they don't tell anywhere close to the whole picture.
BQ_90
AG
TacosaurusRex said:

BQ_90 said:

erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

I'm thinking Russia is just rolling over them and doing what they want to do, there is some video here and there of Ukraine damage to Russian troops, but I think this is all over in a day.
erudite
Waffledynamics said:

LMCane said:

TacosaurusRex said:

BQ_90 said:

erudite said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Could this be because the Ukrainians are effectively beaten and are consolidating for a smaller defense?
I think Ukraine's big mistake was not conducting a withdraw to the Dnieper to shorten the line. Much easier to hold a river with a shortened frontage instead of being easily encircled.

Meanwhile, instead of helping US civvies who decided to not leave, US Embassy in Kiev is trolling Russia
cone
AG
this rhetoric projects abject weakness
First Page Last Page
Page 44 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.