***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,588,278 Views | 47807 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by ABATTBQ11
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oldflyer said:

one MEEN Ag said:

One of the biggest export controls is over GPS access. GPS chips, down in the lithography, have speed cut outs where if you exceed like 500 mph it'll delay the data and then somewhere there is a cutout speed all together.

It looks like these loitering munitions purposefully stay below a GPS cutout speed until they're in divebomb mode near the target.
I wouldn't think that this would be totally true. Otherwise, how would Garmin GPS systems work within jet airliners and business jets that regularly exceed 500 mph? Even my iPad using Foreflight works at more than 500 mph. I'd think there are other reasons that the loitering munitions stay below these speeds. Such as cost of propulsion and fuel consumption/load capacity.
A) The limit might be higher than 500 and might be closer to mach 1. I'll have to check my notes. And your ipad gps probably won't give updates within short distances. The idea of the gps speed requirements was to stop gps guided missiles from becoming too easy.
Rossticus
We still need to be ramping up production to rapidly backfill and build current stocks in anticipation of future conflict as well as to have supplies to accommodate Ukraine's lend/lease agreement and/or any additional stocks they wish to purchase. We can't gift them old stock forever.

Hopefully they've been able to quietly reestablish a military industrial base of some sort in the west of the country to augment what we've jump-started them with. They had a significant arms production capability (albeit in the east) before the war do hopefully they can somewhat regain that.
74OA
AG
Rossticus said:

We still need to be ramping up production to rapidly backfill and build current stocks in anticipation of future conflict as well as to have supplies to accommodate Ukraine's lend/lease agreement and/or any additional stocks they wish to purchase. We can't gift them old stock forever.

Hopefully they've been able to quietly reestablish a military industrial base of some sort in the west of the country to augment what we've jump-started them with. They had a significant arms production capability (albeit in the east) before the war do hopefully they can somewhat regain that.
It's happening. RAMP UP
JFABNRGR
AG
Rossticus said:

I concur. A strong military posture is deterrence.
Ukes were great military builders, will be again some day, but now they need to solve a very serious energy problem that IMO the ****ing world really isn't taking serious. Yeah I get all the ADA aid is helpful but its not like the Orcs only get 3 strikes at each energy asset. a 100 missiles fly, 90 are shot down thats still 5+ assets taken offline each fire mission (might be much higher) and at times NOT easy to repair/replace. On top of that we tie right back to the stockpile getting low issue for our own use and or UKR future use.

The Ukes need a Deterrence factor that influences the orcs not to send them in the first place of which I don't really have an answer for at this time that anybody would like to hear and that might include myself.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Rossticus
This is the crux:

'goal production rates the service aimed for are still in the "high number of months to a year" out, making the production partnerships and donations more important.'

So, we have to manage to bridge the domestic production gap till this time next year. Then at that point you're probably looking at the most significant military production surge in decades.
Rossticus
Rossticus

74OA
AG
Rossticus said:

Israel doesn't do anything out of mere altruism. I wonder what sort of compensation it extracted from us.
javajaws
AG
Meanwhile China sits back with their military stockpiles full and looking around the board...
Rossticus
Looking at eastern Russia if they're smart. None of what we've given Ukraine would be of practical use in a Taiwan oriented conflict as it would be fought almost solely via sea and air unless things went full WW3. Even then, much of what we've given them still wouldn't be used.
Rossticus
Rossticus
You heard it here first. Russia didn't start the war!

Rossticus
I really hope that Ukraine manages to get their hands on these freaks.

Rossticus
This won't present issues for NATO intelligence sharing at all. Hungary just needs to join BRICS and get it over with.

Rossticus
Russia mad because Ukraine isn't playing along with their plan to propagandize the suffering they've caused by targeting civilians.

Rossticus
Internal propaganda pushing escalation and expansion of the war continues to amplify.

The Fife
Rossticus said:

I really hope that Ukraine manages to get their hands on these freaks.

Turn them over to Malaysia. I'm sure they can come up with some fun punishments for people who killed a couple hundred civilians.
JFABNRGR
AG
Rossticus said:

This won't present issues for NATO intelligence sharing at all. Hungary just needs to join BRICS and get it over with.

Yep this guy made some very bad choices in his dealings with russia; accepting some pretty horrible things that he doesn't want published and is not nothing but putins puppet.

Sadly there is no shortage of those like him around the globe.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Galeev always with fantastic, logical insight and analysis.

Thread (long and worth it):
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1593396342918897665.html

74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
Waffledynamics
AG
The last couple of days have seen some more behind-the-lines explosions against Russia:

Quote:

Oil depot in Stalnoy Kon settlement near Oryol was hit by a drone overnight, - governor
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/16-november-oil-depot-in-stalnoy-kon-settlement-near-oryol

Quote:

Explosions were reported in Belgorod
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/17-november-explosions-were-reported-in-belgorod-

This next one is in Southestern Crimea. Maybe another test run at the Kerch Bridge?

Quote:

Russian media report drone crashed at substation near Feodosia
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/17-november-russian-media-report-drone-crashed-at-substation

Quote:

Russian media reported shelling in Belaya Berezka village in Bryansk region
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/17-november-russian-media-reported-shelling-in-belaya-berezka

These next two are behind the lines by Donetsk.
Quote:

Explosions were reported in Illovaysk
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/17-november-explosions-were-reported-in-illovaysk

Quote:

Several explosions were reported in Donetsk (city)
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/17-november-several-explosions-were-reported-in-donetsk
Rossticus
Hague basically just shat all over Russia's "Donbas separatist" narrative.

Rossticus
Who?mikejones!
Rossticus said:

Sure. Sure.
agent-maroon
AG
"Negotiate" must mean something entirely different in the russian translation. I wonder what "*******" means in the same language?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rossticus
When Russians say "negotiate" they mean "capitulate".
Rossticus
Waffledynamics
AG
Speculation on the next Ukrainian push: I believe it will come from the Svatove-Kreminna area. While Ukraine is establishing fire control over the South, there are still a lot more actually trained Russian troops there, by my estimate. I've been thinking there would be more weakness in the Zaporizhzhia towards Melitopol, but I have a feeling there's more in the East and less in the South.
Rossticus
80sGeorge
AG
Fascinating and informative. Thank you.
Smeghead4761
Rossticus said:

I remember reading Red Storm Rising and Team Yankee (among many such) back in the late 80s-early 90s, and one of the constants was the massive expenditure of weapons, munitions, and equipment. Granted, that's fiction, but one of the constants in large scale warfare at least since 1914 has been that the armies burn through supplies, especially ammunition, at rates well in excess of all pre-war predictions.

And the production of weapons aside from basic small arms has become so specialized that few, if any, countries have the type of industrial base that can move quickly to large scale production of high end weapons systems. How many Javelins can Raytheon make in a month? Probably not nearly enough.

And that's not even talking bigger ticket items like tanks (we have ONE tank factory. ONE. They build 11 tanks a month, and only that many thanks to a lot of lobbying to keep the production line open. The Army (quite rightly, IMO, especially given events in Ukraine) really, really doesn't want to find out how long it would take to restart production if the line went totally cold) or fighter planes (F-35 production is like 14 planes a month. During WWII, Boeing would build that many B-17s in a day. At one factory.)
The Debt
"The appetite for weapons" is because they keep getting blown up...notice it's not talking solely about the munitions.
Rossticus
The Debt said:

"The appetite for weapons" is because they keep getting blown up...notice it's not talking solely about the munitions.

Yeah. That's what happens in peer/near peer conventional warfare. Lots of stuff on both sides gets blown up constantly.
First Page Last Page
Page 935 of 1367

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.