Is it just me?

16,733 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BoerneGator
TxAgswin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BigRobSA said:

TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

Keep them on that plantation, baby.
Wow.

Yeah, wow, I'm talking about you and your fellow Dems that want to keep minorities down in this country. Is it not obvious?
No, it's not obvious. Please explain it to me.

People like you that like to virtue signal by placing the victim label on an entire subset of people you don't even know. That does nothing to help anyone or promote upward mobility and realization of the American Dream in society. It's straight out of the dem/leftist playbook. No different than the individual occupying the White House right now.
Ah, gotchya.

I've heard that take before and it does have some merit. The concept is that Democrats play a dirty long game using subsidies to string along their base and essentially bribe their constituencies with entitlements and stuff.

I'm sure that does happen at some level and that's unfortunate.

But that's not where I am coming from personally. I'm not running for office and have no skin in the game here.

I believe what I believe and have no agenda.

I'm just arguing politics with hundreds of people who disagree with me on just about everything.

Do you support voter ID laws?
Yeah, I'm actually okay with it. If you don't have the wherewithal to get a driver's license, maybe you aren't qualified to vote.

That said, I would be okay with just about any identifying document in a polling place. Paycheck stub, utility bill, whatever. Just something that connects the voter to the name on that voter registry. When you show up in person, they check your name off that registry. So, that person gets a single vote. If somebody else shows after and claims to be you, that's a problem. But that almost never happens.

Voter fraud claims are never about multiple votes from the same voter. So, polling place ID requirements are kind of irrelevant.

WestAustinAg
AG
WestTexasAg said:

Can you explain your reason for being a liberal? Not making fun, just curious what is appealing about being a liberal.

It's just short hand for living life fearful of weather, viruses, and companies….so much so that they give government their unquestioned faithfulness. And if you don't agree you are an apostate who hates their Gid.
01agtx
AG
TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

Keep them on that plantation, baby.
Wow.

Yeah, wow, I'm talking about you and your fellow Dems that want to keep minorities down in this country. Is it not obvious?
No, it's not obvious. Please explain it to me.

People like you that like to virtue signal by placing the victim label on an entire subset of people you don't even know. That does nothing to help anyone or promote upward mobility and realization of the American Dream in society. It's straight out of the dem/leftist playbook. No different than the individual occupying the White House right now.
Ah, gotchya.

I've heard that take before and it does have some merit. The concept is that Democrats play a dirty long game using subsidies to string along their base and essentially bribe their constituencies with entitlements and stuff.

I'm sure that does happen at some level and that's unfortunate.

But that's not where I am coming from personally. I'm not running for office and have no skin in the game here.

I believe what I believe and have no agenda.

I'm just arguing politics with hundreds of people who disagree with me on just about everything.

You may not be running for office but you are voting for people who spend their time telling others that they are oppressed and that their upward mobility in life is determined by the color of their skin. By voting for it, you are agreeing with it.
TxAgswin
AG
WestAustinAg said:

WestTexasAg said:

Can you explain your reason for being a liberal? Not making fun, just curious what is appealing about being a liberal.

It's just short hand for living life fearful of weather, viruses, and companies….so much so that they give government their unquestioned faithfulness. And if you don't agree you are an apostate who hates their Gid.

What is a Gid?
OneProudAg
AG
TxAgswin said:

OneProudAg said:

TxAgswin said:

Am I the only liberal that posts on this board?
Depends how many accounts you have. Additional question. do you drive with your Brights on?
Just the one account.

Additional question. Why did you capitalize brights?
drunk. turn your brights off.
Buzzy
Quote:

YES! You should definitely worry about that! It's a HUGE number. Do you know what that number represents? 1 in every 200 US citizens lives in a cage.

A .6% incarceration rate is ****ing enormous and unpresedented.

That number is an embarassment.

Mexico is at .15%... "They're bringing crime. They're rapists" -DT
99.4% represents a huge number, .6% is a tiny number. This goes back to the innumeracy I mentioned later in my post.

Quote:

Hmm...why are those things so tightly correlated? Better to not think about it I guess.
What two things, poverty and crime? If you go back and look at the history of crime and violence in the United States, every single immigrant group made up 90% of the prison population within a decade of their large-scale immigration to the US. The Irish, the Italians, the Poles, doesn't matter what group, if they came over as poor immigrants, they committed crimes and went to prison. Within a generation, though, these immigrants rose out of poverty and moved into the middle class. The reason for this is usually (but not always) a focus on education by the immigrants and a desire to push their children forward to a better life.

Poor people tend to commit more crime. Why? Probably a myriad of reasons, most of them to do with unhappiness and desperation. If you're desperate to have a lifestyle you see in the media and see no way over achieving it now, turning to crime seems a fairly simple decision. Add in the influences of hip-hop culture glorifying crime since the '90s, and small wonder it continues to be a problem in impoverished areas.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
World history is filled with poor immigrants who came to a country with just the clothes on their back and little or no education. Those immigrants were able to turn a strong work ethic and a frugal mindset into financial success.
Cute.

Not really true, but cute.

It's alarming that you don't see the correleation between education and financial success. If you want to see it just Google "correlation between education and financial success." It's pretty obvious and not really a thing people debate. Certainly there's anecdotal evidence of people blood, sweat and tearing there way to wealth. But the overwhelming majority of successful people were provided quality education.

Go and look at the history of immigration and economic success in this country or even throughout history. Look at the Armenians in Turkey, the Ibo in Nigeria, Eastern European Jews in America, or even Koreans in America today. They are all immigrant groups that came to countries as poor immigrants, and all came to experience financial success and even wealth by taking the same path.

You know the scene in Do The Right Thing where they're trying to figure out how Koreans can own a shop in a majority black neighborhood so soon off the boat?

They estimate the shop owners are only 'a year off the boat', and in real life, they're not incredibly far off. Whether talking about Jews, Ibo, Armenians, or Koreans, when immigrants come to a country ignorant of the language and mostly illiterate, many of them start off at the bottom as peddlers. They work ridiculous hours for low pay to scrape out a living. Some of them live frugally and save all of the money they can so they can own their own shop. An analysis of Koren immigrants found that the average time it took them from arriving in this country to working a job to opening up their own shop was four years. Four years. Four years to become a business owner, start building wealth, and taking their part in the American Dream.

This was the same for the Jews in Eastern Europe, the Ibo in Nigeria, the Armenians in Turkey, the Koreans in America, and even goes on today. If you study the history of Chinese-American cuisine in America, you'll find a fascinating story on opportunity and the American Dream. Many Chinese immigrated here unable to speak English, but they could work in a kitchen and cook. So they'd be taken in by the Chiniese community and given a job in a restaurant. Work long hours, scrimp and save, in a few years, you have enough money to bring family over. Family working together and scrimping and saving, you can open your own restaurant. Now you're on your way to establishing wealth and achieving the American Dream via owning your own business.

None of these people achieved success in the original generation via education, it was through hard work and discipline. Now later generations were pushed into fields like law and medicine and engineering, but this is why I say education isn't the silver bullet, hard work is.

A more relatable modern example might be the tamale lady who goes door-to-door selling tamales to local businesses and customers. She makes a minor living by making a selling tamales. If she does this every day for several years, she can save up enough to open her own food truck, open a stall, or open a ghost kitchen and sell her food online. There is a pathway for those willing to seize opportunity, maintain discipline, and live frugally to achieve their goal, and it doesn't start with education.

More later...

It's later.

Quote:

Quote:

Putting more money into education isn't the answer
Well, I just fundamentally disagree with that.
Feel free to disagree, but there are too many examples showing I'm right. You think if we pay educators more, we'll be able to get the best and brightest into teaching, and that will result in a more educated populace. They've been trying to operate that way for years, and look at current results. The problem isn't educators, the problem isn't even the students, the problem is a lack of support at home.

Look at Dallas ISD. Teachers there are the highest paid in the Metroplex. A new teacher with no experience starts at $56,500 in DISD, yet the same teacher starts at $52k at DeSoto ISD. Same demographics, same economic background, same students, yet DeSoto students score higher in every conceivable metric than their counterparts in Dallas. Why? Because in DeSoto, the parents are much more involved (some would say over-involved) in their kids' academic lives. The support and interest in everything going on, the parental involvement is there. Dallas ISD? Parent involvement is non-existent. If you don't have the support and involvement at home, you're not going to achieve at school. It has nothing to do with race or economics, it has to do with parental involvement and support.

And if you think racism to blame for poor performance in schools or poverty once out of school, explain how immigrants from Nigeria or Jamaica can come to America, live in the exact same neighborhoods, yet excel in schools, at work, financially, and achieve the American Dream. They're exposed the same 'racism' and 'invisible forces working against their success' as every other black man or woman, yet they succeed. Why aren't they 'oppressed'?

Wild West Pimp Style
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The liberal mind is worse than I thought.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Catag94
AG
Have you any experience with the VA for healthcare or know anyone who does?
Darth Randy
TxAgswin said:

WestTexasAg said:

No worries. My skin has to be pretty thick on this board.

Happy to answer your question...

The reason for my ideology revolves around dignity and fairness.

I believe in universal health care. I find it undignified that the wealthiest country in the world is so tied up in their own bull**** that we can't take care of those that can't take care of themselves. I am fortunate enough to not have to dread making financial decisions about my family's health. I got it. But most do not. The fire department doesn't send you an invoice after they put out the fire in your house. The police don't bill us when they protect us from bad guys. Those services are baked into our fundamental rights, and healthcare should be as well.

I believe our court system is broken. There are way too many people in jail. And there is definitely a race element to that. I won't dig into that because people get very defensive about it, but that's what I believe. Our criminal justice system is fundamentally flawed and, in my opinion, conservatives are to blame for that.

I believe that education is the answer. It always has been. We should put every spare nickel we have into education.

John Adams said, "Laws for the liberal education of the youth, especially of the lower class of the people, are so extremely wise and useful, that, to a humane and generous mind, no expense for this purpose would be thought extravagant."

I support our troops (of course), but I think the Pentagon gets waaaay too much money.

I am a "liberal" (or whatever) because I think we should prioritize differently.

That's just me though.

Thanks for posting.

If you think the court system is broken, I implore you to get involved in your local PD's Citizen Police Academy or do ride alongs, or talk to street cops and investigators. After the past two years, there ain't enough people in jail. You cannot imagine the filth and evil that walks free everyday.

If you've done this or you are in this line of work already, no worries. You and I just fundamentally disagree.
TxAgswin
AG
Catag94 said:

Yes, I do. Good read.

Why do you ask?
BigRobSA
TxAgswin said:

Catag94 said:

Yes, I do. Good read.

Why do you ask?

I'd assume the question was posed since the VA is totally horrible, on it's best days, and worse every other day. It's the epitome of UHC.

I grew up in UHC. It's horrible.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
aggieforester05
AG
TxAgswin said:

zgolfz85 said:

TxAgswin said:

zgolfz85 said:

TxAgswin said:

WestTexasAg said:

I believe in universal health care. I find it undignified that the wealthiest country in the world is so tied up in their own bull**** that we can't take care of those that can't take care of themselves. I am fortunate enough to not have to dread making financial decisions about my family's health. I got it. But most do not. The fire department doesn't send you an invoice after they put out the fire in your house. The police don't bill us when they protect us from bad guys. Those services are baked into our fundamental rights, and healthcare should be as well.

I believe our court system is broken. There are way too many people in jail. And there is definitely a race element to that. I won't dig into that because people get very defensive about it, but that's what I believe. Our criminal justice system is fundamentally flawed and, in my opinion, conservatives are to blame for that.

I believe that education is the answer. It always has been. We should put every spare nickel we have into education.

John Adams said, "Laws for the liberal education of the youth, especially of the lower class of the people, are so extremely wise and useful, that, to a humane and generous mind, no expense for this purpose would be thought extravagant."

I support our troops (of course), but I think the Pentagon gets waaaay too much money.

I am a "liberal" (or whatever) because I think we should prioritize differently.

That's just me though.

I applaud the honesty. You lose me on the court and racial stuff though. I agree with you barely there.

Here's my question to you? How would you honestly handle the outrageously higher prevalence of crime, both violent and minor offenses by the black community? I know some of that is due to racial inequalities going back centuries and continually improving, but at some point that community has to police their own and I see NONE of that unfortunately. I don't even see a desire by anyone within the community to be accountable or expect accountability in any way, shape or form. At the end of the day, there's nothing we can do for some communities until they're willing to stop it themselves.

If I'd seen even a semblance of the black community trying to stop the violence and crime that pervades, I'd be SO much more willing to do anything and everything I could to personally help any way I could. It has to be a joint effort though. You have to want to be better and to do better. Don't simply accept that your neighbors are bad and do bad things. Band together as a community and stop letting folks ruin it for everyone else.
I agree.

Communities, like people, should be accountable and they have agency over their own outcomes No doubt.

Crime is directly correlated to economics and education (or lack thereof). And economics in this country has a very real racial component.

Race gets sticky because the economic timeline is fundamentally unfair. Not being able to own property or go to college until just a generation or two ago makes it virtually impossible to create any sort of wealth in your family.

So, while problems about race at this moment are more about economics than race, those economic fallouts were the direct result of racist policies of exclusion. It will likely take several generations for that water to level. While I don't think the answer is over the top silly nonsense like reparations or even affirmative action. I do think we should take a pause before indicting the black community. They were dealt a ****ty hand and I can understand why they would be pissed off about it. Who wouldn't be?

Quote:

If I'd seen even a semblance of the black community trying to stop the violence and crime
Come on, man

There are enormous efforts being made in the black community to combat crime. Most are faith-based, and there are tons of people that dedicate their lives to try and better their communities and work to steer kids in the right direction. And God bless those folks.

Quote:

I agree with some, but not all of that. Like others have said, my parents were the first in a long line of my family in this country to go to college (I was first to actually graduate and not drop out) and to generate wealth, if we are considering upper middle class as "wealth" for this context. I think white Americans get unfairly lumped in together as if we're all silver spoon fed mcducks and because we happen as a collective to be the most "privileged", so it's just acceptable for some reason to continually **** on us.
Not to diminish your accomplishments and hard work, but these stories are anecdotal. There are like ten responses to that post that essentially say "but my family isn't rich, so you're wrong". I never argued that all white families have wealth or all black families are in poverty.

What I'm saying is that the game was rigged for a very, very long time and that has long-term consequences that are manifesting themselves to this day. Denying black people the opportunity to do virtually anything economically for hundreds of years was awful. And it is going to take a while for that population to rebound.

Again, I'm not suggesting any sort of radical measures to make it go away. South Africa tried that and it has been a disaster. All I'm trying to say is that we should not ignore the past. White people acting like victims is pathetic.

Quote:

It's beyond silly and this time 15 yrs ago, I believe we were truly and finally getting somewhere with the color blind path we were on. In that respect, I don't see the fantasy liberal equivalent of myself to in any context be accepting of CRT. I honestly can't understand how the left has simply accepted and tolerated it as a whole, when everyone knows deep down what kind of irreparable damage it's going to ingrain in the next generation or 2 (I'm assuming and hoping everyone wakes up and rejects it before it goes any further than that, but yeah right).
CRT is so overblown it's exhausting. It's an academic concept that has been around for decades and is debated among adults. It's an extremely complex principle that digs deeply into sociological, economic, and cultural issues. Nobody is teaching CRT to grade school kids. It would be impossible. The students wouldn't have the framework to comprehend it.

Quote:

I agree there's efforts going on, barely, to address crime within the community to your other point. But, it's so minimal in my opinion and it's a vocal minority, while as a whole it's seemingly just accepted that crime is going to be a thing, even for the working class. If this became a prevalent issue within any other community, I honestly can't picture the collective not putting forth way more effort to police their own and cut that bull**** out.

Case in point....Chicago. It's insane to me that it's not even a talking point. Could you imagine any other race of people being accepting of a major global first world metropolitan area being a hotbed for a group of people being continually mowed down at an unbelievable rate? It's just not even mentioned. It's simply no big deal. Who's vocal about it within that community, save a select few? Why is every single black athlete, musician, politician, actor or other influencer not talking about it 24/7? Like just meet the rest of us in the middle. It's being unrealistic about it and that's why a lot of people tune out. If the community as a whole would band together and be honest and say hey, we have this problem, but we also have this other problem and we're ready to finally admit that bad people doing bad things is not acceptable, regardless of where they started in life and for any reason, you'd see people moving mountains to help them. The whole well that's bad, but do you know how rough they had it excuse is not realistic. It's not serious. Its not genuine.

Anyways, I hate it for them and for everyone involved. It honestly seemed like we were finally breaking down some real barriers when this century turned and this new uber focus on race in your face all the time Sunday Sunday Sunday race race race 24/7 race drives everything everywhere for everyone thing is backtracking.
You can tell a lot about a person by their use of pronouns.

So you condone racism as long as the racism targets people who's ancestors you believe may or may not have had advantages because of racist political policies from 50+ years ago? Promotion of racism by the American left will ONLY result in more racism and division. Race relations will not improve until society is truly colorblind, which is what conservatives want. The Democrats want division for political power. Stop supporting those working to divide us for political gain. You may be well intentioned but you're approach and rhetoric will lead to the opposite of your intentions. People that want to punish white people that had nothing to do with slavery or Jim Crow are truly pathetic and garbage human beings. They're certainly not helping the plight of African Americans. There's much better ways to help that community than creating a wedge between them and other races.
BoerneGator
AG
You've never supported your claim in your OP that "Americans don't take care of those who can't take of themselves", despite several challenges from me and others. You may disagree to the degree/extent of that "care", but your claim is patently false on its face (and a favorite canard of the Left/DNC you perpetuate).

In addition to the myriad Federal, state, and local government programs, there are even more private charities (Salvation Army, United Way, etc. and countless churches and synagogues that provide for the "needy". How can you ignore this. How is this thread not a troll?
backintexas2013
AG
We go one further. Americans take care of those that can take care of themselves but are too ****ing lazy to do it.

If someone that is able to work isn't working right now it's a choice they are making or made in the past. Plain and simple.
ALL IN 2013
AG
TxAgswin said:

WestTexasAg said:

That's just me though.

So many feelings in this post, not facts. Firefighters and police forces are funded through our tax dollars. Your bill is paid before the fire. If you try to do that with healthcare you will get massively increased taxes and worse healthcare. We all agree nobody should be refused emergency medical services (comparable to fireman putting out a fire), but the fireman shouldn't rebuild your house.

It's rich that you want to blame conservatives for too many people in jail. Ever heard of the Biden Crime bill??? Your Vice President thinks it's funny that she put black people in jail for smoking weed when she smoked it herself!

Anybody who is a liberal puts feelings above facts, and is unable to see through the media bull***** No excuse for it.
aglaes
AG
Do some of you actually have time to read through 7 pages of posts?
Catag94
AG
BigRobSA said:

TxAgswin said:

Catag94 said:

Yes, I do. Good read.

Why do you ask?

I'd assume the question was posed since the VA is totally horrible, on it's best days, and worse every other day. It's the epitome of UHC.

I grew up in UHC. It's horrible.

Yes.
For those I know whom have dealt with the VA, it is far inferior to the healthcare provisions they can receive in the private sector. They are incredibly bureaucratic and slow to approve certain treatments, lose records, etc. If this is how government handles healthcare for veterans, imagine how awful it would be for the greater citizenry. How much liberty would you really have? Would you be able to obtain healthcare, but choose to not accept certain things (Vax for example) perhaps based on your religious beliefs? If not, is that proper for our constitutional, foundational rights and liberties?

I understand your concern and compassion for the poor or less fortunate. I was slow to respond to this morning because I've been worshiping. Accept it or don't, but this country was founded on Christian principals. Among those is charity and taking care of the poor and hungry. But, I believe God calls us each who follow him and as a church to do this in love and faith. I don't believe it is something we should delegate to our government which increasingly distances itself from any form of Christian truths or values.
Catag94
AG
On the topic of too many people in jail, to assist with this, would you support more severe and swiftly applied penalties for criminal behavior? Most severe being the expanded use of the death penalty.

Or, are you more inclined to further decriminalize more behaviors?
cevans_40
AG
Jail is too easy. Bring back roadside work crews and labor camps.
Ag with kids
AG
TxAgswin said:

FriscoKid said:

If healthcare is a fundamental human right then doctors, nurses, scientists, etc should be forced to work for free. Healthcare should be elevated to the same level as freedom of speech. If healthcare is a basic human right then it should be free.

But it's not. Someone has to go to school at a great cost to themselves and then work their ass off daily to treat sick or injured people.
Seriously?

Do you know what we are talking about?

What I am suggesting is that we place healthcare in the federal budget and fund it.

Do police officers work for free? Does the military work for free? Do public school teachers work for free?

Nothing is a RIGHT that demands others work to provide it.
richardag
BoerneGator said:

Quote:

I believe in universal health care. I find it undignified that the wealthiest country in the world is so tied up in their own bull**** that we can't take care of those that can't take care of themselves.
Where is this the case? Thus is such a false premise, I don't know what to think about your completely alternative universe you reside in.

Forty-odd years ago, I was rather shocked to learn, while attending a rural South Texas county budget hearing, the relatively large amount of $$$ being budgeted for " indigent health care". That was/is the proper term to describe the people you referenced in the quote above. Since that time, that budget line item in EVERY political subdivision's budget has only seen manifold increases, as that same group of folks has grown in numbers, and continues to do so apace!

It's a bald-faced lie, perpetuated by lying Democrat politicians whose very livelihood is based upon sustaining the lie. And you, my friend, are contributing to that false narrative, and the demise of this great nation with your own misguided attitude.

Now, if you believe, as I suspect you might, that every American is entitled to free and unlimited "health care", that is a very different matter, but even more untenable! Nowhere in the Constitution does it provide for free anything accept speech, religion, and the "pursuit" of happiness/opportunity. The rest is "made up" by rabble rousers.
Agreed.

Another example of how government regulations interfere with efficiencies.

Used to be, you got sick, you saw a doctor, doctor treated you and you paid the doctor.

A few years ago many people got insurance through their employer or bought insurance on their own. Enter the government to regulate doctors, hospitals and insurance companies.

I knew someone who had his own company that for a fee would exam hospital's money flow, billing. For what $ his company saved the hospital his company received a %. His company got a contract with a large hospital in Texas and found >$30 million the hospital had not received due to the complexity of billing, government regulations on charges, amount insurance carriers were responsible for and individuals were responsible for. THIS WAS OVER 30 years ago.

To this day the systems are borked. I notified my one of my doctors of my change in coverage last December. For 3 months they kept sending me a bill claiming my primary carrier denied the claim. They kept going to the wrong carrier which had changed. Hope the eventually get it right, my carrier even informed them of their error yet they failed to correct it.

The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, npublic debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt.
People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.
-- Cicero, 55 B.C.
RoadkillBBQ
Bag said:

RoadkillBBQ said:

FriscoKid said:

Whoever is responsible for that needs to be publicly executed.

i bet you were a blast at parties
Were? I still am. I'm actually a big enough jokester that my wife sometimes wonders if I take anything seriously.
I'm just not a fan of posting false information on social media that concerns subjects that have our country socially divided and are having profound effects on peoples lives personally and professionally.

Buzzy
RoadkillBBQ said:

Bag said:

RoadkillBBQ said:

FriscoKid said:

Were? I still am. I'm actually a big enough jokester that my wife sometimes wonders if I take anything seriously.
I'm just not a fan of posting false information on social media that concerns subjects that have our country socially divided and are having profound effects on peoples lives personally and professionally.

OP: brags about what a big joker he is

Also OP: doesn't get obvious joke
Wild West Pimp Style
TxAgswin
AG
Buzzy said:

RoadkillBBQ said:

Bag said:

RoadkillBBQ said:

FriscoKid said:

OP: brags about what a big joker he is

Also OP: doesn't get obvious joke
I'm not even involved in that dialogue.
Buzzy

I meant OP in that discussion, not OP of this entire thread. I should have been clearer, my bad.
Wild West Pimp Style
TxAgswin
AG
Catag94 said:

On the topic of too many people in jail, to assist with this, would you support more severe and swiftly applied penalties for criminal behavior? Most severe being the expanded use of the death penalty.

The latter.

I am opposed to the death penalty. I believe it's unconstitutional (clearly violates the 8th amendment). It's also a measure that is used inside brutal theocracies. It is a medieval practice that needs to be abolished. It's embarrassing that we are on the list of countries that still implement the death penalty. You probably wouldn't want to live in any of the countries that have retained the death penalty.

What I would suggest is to legalize drugs. All of them.

And then let every single non-violent drug offender out of prison. That will open up a lot of space and save us a lot of money and will make it way easier for me to get weed.

It will also be a punch in the gut to the Cartels. Their base revenue source would go away at the stroke of a pen. So, instead of using our law enforcement resources on tracking down bags of weed, they can focus on things that are actually evil, like gun-running and human trafficking.
TxAgswin
AG
Buzzy said:

I meant OP in that discussion, not OP of this entire thread. I should have been clearer, my bad.
Haha, no worries. I gotchya.

I get pooped on a lot around here already, so I just didn't want to get pooped on for somebody else's rant.

BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

And then let every single non-violent drug offender out of prison. That will open up a lot of space and save us a lot of money and will make it way easier for me to get weed.
OP is a stoner. That might explain a lot, including why he refuses to justify the Big Lie he's spreading.
backintexas2013
AG
How many true non violent drug offenders are in prison? I am not talking about parole and probation violators who plea to a non violent drug offense to get a shorter sentence. True non violent drug offenders?
Catag94
AG
Well you are consistent and honest about your philosophies.

I have no issue with the death penalty which did not begin as a medieval practice. Rather, it was first ordained by God to Noah (Gen. 9:6) as a proclamation of the sanctity of human life itself. Nonetheless, the point was that there are multiple ways of reducing prisons populations. I'm a believer that more severe abs swiftly applied penalties would lead to a better society. Few penalties had proven the opposite right here in our very own country in the last two years.
Kvetch
AG
Jmiller said:

The ten countries with the highest incarceration RATES are:

United States (639)
El Salvador (566)
Turkmenistan (552)
Thailand (549)
Palau (522)
Rwanda (511)
Cuba (510)
Maldives (499)
Bahamas (442)
Grenada (429)

0.639% of our pop is a f ton of people to deprive of freedom for country that says it loves freedom.

So tell idiots to stop breaking the law. The solution is not for society to put up with more crime so that we have less people in prison. HTH
Kvetch
AG
TxAgswin said:

Catag94 said:

The latter.

I am opposed to the death penalty. I believe it's unconstitutional (clearly violates the 8th amendment). It's also a measure that is used inside brutal theocracies. It is a medieval practice that needs to be abolished. It's embarrassing that we are on the list of countries that still implement the death penalty. You probably wouldn't want to live in any of the countries that have retained the death penalty.

What I would suggest is to legalize drugs. All of them.

It will also be a punch in the gut to the Cartels. Their base revenue source would go away at the stroke of a pen. So, instead of using our law enforcement resources on tracking down bags of weed, they can focus on things that are actually evil, like gun-running and human trafficking.

I bet you're pro-abortion, though.
taxpreparer
AG
The problem with legalizing drugs is then progressives will want the government to support addicts. If people will not take responsibility for their actions, we should not be required to bail them out.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
tysker
AG
Kvetch said:

Jmiller said:

The ten countries with the highest incarceration RATES are:

United States (639)
El Salvador (566)
Turkmenistan (552)
Thailand (549)
Palau (522)
Rwanda (511)
Cuba (510)
Maldives (499)
Bahamas (442)
Grenada (429)

0.639% of our pop is a f ton of people to deprive of freedom for country that says it loves freedom.

So tell idiots to stop breaking the law. The solution is not for society to put up with more crime so that we have less people in prison. HTH

Maybe the problem isnt the idiots but the volume of laws those idiots can break
TheEternalPessimist
TxAgswin said:

Am I the only liberal that posts on this board?
And that is a bad thing?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.