Is it just me?

17,035 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BoerneGator
Jmiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The ten countries with the highest incarceration RATES are:

United States (639)
El Salvador (566)
Turkmenistan (552)
Thailand (549)
Palau (522)
Rwanda (511)
Cuba (510)
Maldives (499)
Bahamas (442)
Grenada (429)

0.639% of our pop is a f ton of people to deprive of freedom for country that says it loves freedom.
FriscoKid
AG
TxAgswin said:

FriscoKid said:

TxAgswin said:

FriscoKid said:

If healthcare is a fundamental human right then doctors, nurses, scientists, etc should be forced to work for free. Healthcare should be elevated to the same level as freedom of speech. If healthcare is a basic human right then it should be free.

But it's not. Someone has to go to school at a great cost to themselves and then work their ass off daily to treat sick or injured people.
Seriously?

Do you know what we are talking about?

What I am suggesting is that we place healthcare in the federal budget and fund it.

Do police officers work for free? Does the military work for free? Do public school teachers work for free?

Yeah, I do. You think healthcare is a right.
Yep.

That's the problem. It's not a right. Universal healthcare is a "want". You want it because you think it's fair.

It's also fair for two kids taking a test. One works his ass off and gets 100. The other wants a better grade and gets a 50. Let's make it fair and give them each a 75.

I'd rather believe that each kid had a right to take the test. Forcing one kid to work for free doesn't motivate anyone.
APHIS AG
TxAgswin said:

WestTexasAg said:

Can you explain your reason for being a liberal? Not making fun, just curious what is appealing about being a liberal.
No worries. My skin has to be pretty thick on this board.

I believe that education is the answer. It always has been. We should put every spare nickel we have into education.

I too, believe in education but today, it is not education but liberal indoctrination that is occurring.

The truth is still the truth and history is still history, the good, the bad, and ugly and liberals today are just rewriting history to suite their way of thinking.
tysker
AG
Jmiller said:

United States (639)
El Salvador (566)
Turkmenistan (552)
Thailand (549)
Palau (522)
Rwanda (511)
Cuba (510)
Maldives (499)
Bahamas (442)
Grenada (429)

0.639% of our pop is a f ton of people to deprive of freedom for country that says it loves freedom.

Dont we all keep saying that if we stop the drug war and loosen gun laws we'd watch those numbers drop substantially? We know the solution but refuse to implement. Too bad Kamala Harris didnt push for criminal justice reforms when she had the platform to do so.

And how do other countries handle their mentally ill? Could it be that we allow our more mentally challenged citizens go about their lives freely like the rest of us whereas other countries place them in non-prison institutions for life?
Bodie Broadus
Brainwashed, try again
APHIS AG
Jmiller said:

United States (639)
El Salvador (566)
Turkmenistan (552)
Thailand (549)
Palau (522)
Rwanda (511)
Cuba (510)
Maldives (499)
Bahamas (442)
Grenada (429)

So, do you support the current trend of criminals being released to commit additional crimes like those occurring in California with the "no bail" system?
FriscoKid
AG
Jmiller said:

United States (639)
El Salvador (566)
Turkmenistan (552)
Thailand (549)
Palau (522)
Rwanda (511)
Cuba (510)
Maldives (499)
Bahamas (442)
Grenada (429)

Your feelings are writing checks that the results can't cash.

I know you've been paying attention lately to leftist cities that have adopted anti-jail and free bond policies for criminals that steal stuff from other people. Should we just let people take what they want from others?

How long will that store continue to lose money before they close down and move on to a different location?
tysker
AG
If healthcare is a right then I'm going to start smoking again. And smoke wherever the **** I want to.

If healthcare is a right then why all the push for smoking bans, soft drink and transfat bans, and healthy diet for our kids?
aggiebq03+
TxAgswin said:

The reason for my ideology revolves around dignity and fairness.

My ideology forms in large part to these ideals as well. People should have a fundamental right to fairly keep what they have earned, and people should all have enough dignity to work their ass off to get where they want in life.

I believe equality of opportunity is one of the founding principles of our country and should be protected at all cost.

I believe equality of outcome is fundamentally evil and should be fought at every opportunity.

I believe the fairest way for people to be governed is at the most local level possible where they can have an impact on that government.

I believe trying to federalize every part of life steals a persons ability to have any influence on their daily circumstances and therefore ends fairness and steals dignity.
AGinHI
AG
TxAgswin said:

WestTexasAg said:

Can you explain your reason for being a liberal? Not making fun, just curious what is appealing about being a liberal.

Happy to answer your question...

I believe in universal health care. I find it undignified that the wealthiest country in the world is so tied up in their own bull**** that we can't take care of those that can't take care of themselves. I am fortunate enough to not have to dread making financial decisions about my family's health. I got it. But most do not. The fire department doesn't send you an invoice after they put out the fire in your house. The police don't bill us when they protect us from bad guys. Those services are baked into our fundamental rights, and healthcare should be as well.

I believe our court system is broken. There are way too many people in jail. And there is definitely a race element to that. I won't dig into that because people get very defensive about it, but that's what I believe. Our criminal justice system is fundamentally flawed and, in my opinion, conservatives are to blame for that.

I believe that education is the answer. It always has been. We should put every spare nickel we have into education.

John Adams said, "Laws for the liberal education of the youth, especially of the lower class of the people, are so extremely wise and useful, that, to a humane and generous mind, no expense for this purpose would be thought extravagant."

I support our troops (of course), but I think the Pentagon gets waaaay too much money.

I am a "liberal" (or whatever) because I think we should prioritize differently.

That's just me though.

It's midnight here and I'm turning in, but just wanted to ask before morning, and if you don't mind

What's your profession?
medwriter
TxAgswin said:

tysker said:

There are many lower case 'l' liberals on this board. Classical liberalism is still the basis of the American experiment and it is more under attack now by the progressive left than it was during the late 90s by the religious right.

Removing government's infantilization of the people would resolve many of your concerns. The scope creep and institutionalism of government should be the main focus of your dissent.
I agree with all of that 100%.

Side comment, the evangelical right has lost all credibility.

First off, the Joel Olsteen types don't reflect the views of most right-wing Americans. However, the religion of the left these days is the media, and they most definitely have lost credibility. There is literally nothing they say anymore that isn't skewed heavily to the left. And if the "progressive left" media gets away with their extreme bias daily but still tries to claim they are unbiased and it's those people who "cling to their guns and religion" in flyover country who's opinion doesn't matter.
TheMasterplan
Healthcare is a right but they would deny healthcare to those that are unvaccinated if they had a choice.

That means it's not a right but a control mechanism.
TheMasterplan
TxAgswin said:

tysker said:

TxAgswin said:

tysker said:

There are many lower case 'l' liberals on this board. Classical liberalism is still the basis of the American experiment and it is more under attack now by the progressive left than it was during the late 90s by the religious right.

Removing government's infantilization of the people would resolve many of your concerns. The scope creep and institutionalism of government should be the main focus of your dissent.

The progressive left are the new evangelical right
How so?

The hypocrisy of the evangelical right is crystal clear in their support of Trump. The progressive left has been pretty consistent in being Godless heathens that want to destroy America.
If you think the evangelical right is a problem than you're either a boomer liberal or a 50+ liberal that still thinks it's the 90s. Evangelical right holds no cultural power while the progressive left has all of it which translates into political power.
TheMasterplan
Jmiller said:

United States (639)
El Salvador (566)
Turkmenistan (552)
Thailand (549)
Palau (522)
Rwanda (511)
Cuba (510)
Maldives (499)
Bahamas (442)
Grenada (429)

Cool. Then why do you support Kamala who loves locking people up?
Signel
AG
TxAgswin said:

WestTexasAg said:

I believe in universal health care. I find it undignified that the wealthiest country in the world is so tied up in their own bull**** that we can't take care of those that can't take care of themselves. I am fortunate enough to not have to dread making financial decisions about my family's health. I got it. But most do not. The fire department doesn't send you an invoice after they put out the fire in your house. The police don't bill us when they protect us from bad guys. Those services are baked into our fundamental rights, and healthcare should be as well.

I believe our court system is broken. There are way too many people in jail. And there is definitely a race element to that. I won't dig into that because people get very defensive about it, but that's what I believe. Our criminal justice system is fundamentally flawed and, in my opinion, conservatives are to blame for that.

John Adams said, "Laws for the liberal education of the youth, especially of the lower class of the people, are so extremely wise and useful, that, to a humane and generous mind, no expense for this purpose would be thought extravagant."

I support our troops (of course), but I think the Pentagon gets waaaay too much money.

I am a "liberal" (or whatever) because I think we should prioritize differently.

That's just me though.

The irony is that the ideology you adhere to would advocate for the same people that screwed up to take over all those broken systems. You see how badly they are botching covid right (both sides...)

Small government and competition is the way to go. Regulate companies that take advantage and hurt the consumers. Don't let Amazon be predatory. Don't let unions corrupt systems. Don't let lobbying allow you to invite everyone to your EV summit EXCEPT Tesla and then thank GM for being the reason for the green car movement (no BS..
BTKAG97
AG
TxAgswin said:

To keep it simple, I agree with almost everything you stated - healthcare "responsibility" can be debated.

The difference in thought is I disagree with almost all of your solutions.
Muy
AG
The big difference is what is "fairness".

Is taking hard earned money from someone who studied and works hard just to give it to someone who doesn't fair?

We are the most charitable nation on earth, period.
aTmAg
AG
Do you think we should nationalize the food industry? That is more fundamental and necessary to life than healthcare.
Krautag81
To quote Ronald Reagan, "government is not the answer," our government was formed to help people succeed and to assure people if you work hard you will succeed. It was not formed to give away free stuff and to empower lazy people to become lazier. I have driven through parts of Houston and have seen what free stuff does to people, they sit on their front porch and wait for the next check or giveaway.
Are there people in need, yes there are, and those are the ones that need the help to get on their feet, not give them perpetual free stuff. What about charities, don't they has a purpose? My wife and I give a lot of money to several charities, but expect them to help people get on the feet and contribute to society. To me, liberal ideology keeps people in poverty and dependent on the government. Let capitalism work, our forefathers would be proud.
YouBet
AG
Healthcare:
Tough topic. There has to be a better way and I think that way would involve reformation or elimination of the insurance industry. In no sane f'ing world should you want the federal government in control over your healthcare. Have you paid any attention at all to the last five years and witnessed the complete deception by the left in government?

Crime
All I see here is "I believe" and my "opinion". And that conservatives are to blame. How are we to blame? You provide no data. If you see people get defensive here it's because of what you just did. You gaslit the topic right off the bat by blaming conservatives for crime and play the race card. Get an actual data based position and then maybe you would get taken seriously.

Education
Every spare dollar to that, huh? The very definition of insanity. All we've ever done is throw more money at it while watching student performance stay flat. And now we are enjoying the fruits of leftist labor who have infiltrated and corrupted the education system over the last few decades producing entire generations of people who think communism is an answer to their perceived problems.

On top of that, all the money given out for college, of which the federal government owns 90%, has put us exactly where economics and human behavior said we would be....

Saddled us with a bunch of mis-educated and over educated people with job opportunities that can't justify the ROI for the massive debt they took on.

So, your post is the normal leftist idealism that doesn't factor data, the practical, nor human behavior.
oldcrow91
AG
TheMasterplan said:

TxAgswin said:

tysker said:

TxAgswin said:

tysker said:

The progressive left are the new evangelical right
How so?

The hypocrisy of the evangelical right is crystal clear in their support of Trump. The progressive left has been pretty consistent in being Godless heathens that want to destroy America.
If you think the evangelical right is a problem than you're either a boomer liberal or a 50+ liberal that still thinks it's the 90s. Evangelical right holds no cultural power while the progressive left has all of it which translates into political power.

RoadkillBBQ
FriscoKid said:

Whoever is responsible for that needs to be publicly executed.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Wabs
AG
Jmiller said:

United States (639)
El Salvador (566)
Turkmenistan (552)
Thailand (549)
Palau (522)
Rwanda (511)
Cuba (510)
Maldives (499)
Bahamas (442)
Grenada (429)

What percentage of that population was locked up by your girl Kamala? Or do you not care about that and voted for her anyway?
Get Off My Lawn
A reminder: the Dems are no longer Liberal. They are leftists. They have "progressed" beyond ideals such as color-blindness, blind-justice, individualism, freedom of speech, absolute truth, tolerance, and American exceptionalism.

Modern day Republican voters and politicians are universally more liberal than modern day Democrat voters.
One Louder
AG
aTmAg said:

Do you think we should nationalize the food industry? That is more fundamental and necessary to life than healthcare.

True. Incidentally, my Canadian friends absolutely *love* their healthcare system....until they get sick. Then they bleed all over social media about how inefficient it is.

Also, there is a constitutional right to legal counsel. Why don't all lawyers work for free?

rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

What I am suggesting is that we place healthcare in the federal budget and fund it.
And that's a problem, not a solution.
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
ChemEAg08
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Healthcare is a right but they would deny healthcare to those that are unvaccinated if they had a choice.

Bag
AG
TxAgswin said:

Am I the only liberal that posts on this board?

people that self identify as red or blue are the problem.

harge57
AG
TxAgswin said:

WestTexasAg said:

That's just me though.

Just to be clear wanting people to get Healthcare, education, and fair trials is not exclusively a liberal viewpoint. The main difference is your view on HOW that should be done.

1. Healthcare - what has more government spending on Healthcare resulted in? Poorer care, inflated and non transparent pricing model. What full on universal Healthcare system provides as high quality care for as many people as the USs system. Also who creates the most Healthcare advancement?

2. Too many people in jail. - name one thing specifically wrong with our judicial system? Name one specific case where a black person is still in jail unjustly. Oddly the most progress towards addressing injustices in the past in this space was achieved by Donald Trump working with Kim Kardashian.

3. Education- Similarly what are the RESULTS from more government spending on the public education system? Poor districts and high percentage minority schools have the most spending per student and have dramatically worst results. Currently any kid who wants to try in school is fully supported and can achieve. Problem is the schools are telling them all their problems are not theirs to solve but were caused by an evil white man. We should aim to address the things that have a much more dramatic impact on the success of a student. Like the core family. The government taking on the role of parents does not result in more successful students.

4. Defense spending - as with every government agency there is a ton of bloat in the defense department. I'd be more than happy to cut 50% of every agencies spending.
TexasAggie_97
AG
TxAgswin said:

FriscoKid said:

If healthcare is a fundamental human right then doctors, nurses, scientists, etc should be forced to work for free. Healthcare should be elevated to the same level as freedom of speech. If healthcare is a basic human right then it should be free.

But it's not. Someone has to go to school at a great cost to themselves and then work their ass off daily to treat sick or injured people.
Seriously?

Do you know what we are talking about?

Do police officers work for free? Does the military work for free? Do public school teachers work for free?

How many "sick" people do we have in this country because they drink too much or smoke too much or eat too much? How about we address the root cause and hold people accountable for their own actions before we ask others to pay for their bad decisions? I am all for providing for minors or those with handicaps that prevent them from being able to provide for themselves but we are not and should not be a welfare state that asks the few to pay for the many.
TexasAggie_97
AG
One Louder said:

aTmAg said:

True. Incidentally, my Canadian friends absolutely *love* their healthcare system....until they get sick. Then they bleed all over social media about how inefficient it is.

Also, there is a constitutional right to legal counsel. Why don't all lawyers work for free?

Because most are liberal and like the good life that their profession provides. They love to prey on the downtrodden and sue the evil white man or corporation while keeping the majority of any payout for themselves.
Ragoo
AG
TheMasterplan said:

to expand. If healthcare is a right then regardless of age, race, sex, probability of outcome, etc. you could not be denied care. To do so would be against your rights. But we all know that isn't the case.
Marcus Brutus
Jmiller said:

United States (639)
El Salvador (566)
Turkmenistan (552)
Thailand (549)
Palau (522)
Rwanda (511)
Cuba (510)
Maldives (499)
Bahamas (442)
Grenada (429)

It needs to be a lot higher. Too many criminals walking the street.
Ragoo
AG
RoadkillBBQ said:

FriscoKid said:

Whoever is responsible for that needs to be publicly executed.

pretty sure it is hyperbole or parody account

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.