Is it just me?

16,596 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BoerneGator
TheEternalPessimist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TxAgswin said:

BigRobSA said:

TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

Keep them on that plantation, baby.
Wow.

Yeah, wow, I'm talking about you and your fellow Dems that want to keep minorities down in this country. Is it not obvious?
No, it's not obvious. Please explain it to me.

People like you that like to virtue signal by placing the victim label on an entire subset of people you don't even know. That does nothing to help anyone or promote upward mobility and realization of the American Dream in society. It's straight out of the dem/leftist playbook. No different than the individual occupying the White House right now.
Ah, gotchya.

I've heard that take before and it does have some merit. The concept is that Democrats play a dirty long game using subsidies to string along their base and essentially bribe their constituencies with entitlements and stuff.

I'm sure that does happen at some level and that's unfortunate.

But that's not where I am coming from personally. I'm not running for office and have no skin in the game here.

I believe what I believe and have no agenda.

I'm just arguing politics with hundreds of people who disagree with me on just about everything.

Do you support voter ID laws?
Yeah, I'm actually okay with it. If you don't have the wherewithal to get a driver's license, maybe you aren't qualified to vote.

That said, I would be okay with just about any identifying document in a polling place. Paycheck stub, utility bill, whatever. Just something that connects the voter to the name on that voter registry. When you show up in person, they check your name off that registry. So, that person gets a single vote. If somebody else shows after and claims to be you, that's a problem. But that almost never happens.

Voter fraud claims are never about multiple votes from the same voter. So, polling place ID requirements are kind of irrelevant.

Bio-metric fingerprint OR eye/retina scan along with a picture id issues by the State or Federal government. State Id's should be made FREE to acquire from any DPS station.
TxAgswin
AG
taxpreparer said:

The problem with legalizing drugs is then progressives will want the government to support addicts. If people will not take responsibility for their actions, we should not be required to bail them out.
Damn right we will.

If by "supporting addicts" you are talking about providing substance abuse treatment, I am all in. It would actually be a really smart allocation of the sales tax generated from drug legalization.

TxAgswin
AG
tysker said:

Kvetch said:

Jmiller said:

The ten countries with the highest incarceration RATES are:

United States (639)
El Salvador (566)
Turkmenistan (552)
Thailand (549)
Palau (522)
Rwanda (511)
Cuba (510)
Maldives (499)
Bahamas (442)
Grenada (429)

0.639% of our pop is a f ton of people to deprive of freedom for country that says it loves freedom.

So tell idiots to stop breaking the law. The solution is not for society to put up with more crime so that we have less people in prison. HTH

Maybe the problem isnt the idiots but the volume of laws those idiots can break make.
FIFY.
backintexas2013
AG
Then how will they pay their bills while in treatment? Also are you going to force treatment?
backintexas2013
AG
California is lessening the penalty for theft. Seems to be doing wonders.
Malibu
backintexas2013 said:

From my boots on the grounds conversations with the liberal populations of Los Angeles, a hard-on-crime Republican lite politician has a better than 50% chance of winning here. ex-San Diego mayor Kevin Faulconer for instance. That person would have to pay lip service to climate change, vaccines, and alternative lifestyles (it's still CA after all), but a hard on crime and pro-business message can finally win here.
TxAgswin
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

TxAgswin said:

BigRobSA said:

TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

TxAgswin said:

RafterAg223 said:

Keep them on that plantation, baby.
Wow.

Yeah, wow, I'm talking about you and your fellow Dems that want to keep minorities down in this country. Is it not obvious?
No, it's not obvious. Please explain it to me.

People like you that like to virtue signal by placing the victim label on an entire subset of people you don't even know. That does nothing to help anyone or promote upward mobility and realization of the American Dream in society. It's straight out of the dem/leftist playbook. No different than the individual occupying the White House right now.
Ah, gotchya.

I've heard that take before and it does have some merit. The concept is that Democrats play a dirty long game using subsidies to string along their base and essentially bribe their constituencies with entitlements and stuff.

I'm sure that does happen at some level and that's unfortunate.

But that's not where I am coming from personally. I'm not running for office and have no skin in the game here.

I believe what I believe and have no agenda.

I'm just arguing politics with hundreds of people who disagree with me on just about everything.

Do you support voter ID laws?
Yeah, I'm actually okay with it. If you don't have the wherewithal to get a driver's license, maybe you aren't qualified to vote.

That said, I would be okay with just about any identifying document in a polling place. Paycheck stub, utility bill, whatever. Just something that connects the voter to the name on that voter registry. When you show up in person, they check your name off that registry. So, that person gets a single vote. If somebody else shows after and claims to be you, that's a problem. But that almost never happens.

Voter fraud claims are never about multiple votes from the same voter. So, polling place ID requirements are kind of irrelevant.

Quote:

Bio-metric fingerprint OR eye/retina scan along with a picture id issues by the State or Federal government.
Is that a sentence? It needs a verb.

Quote:

State Id's should be made FREE to acquire from any DPS station.
Voter registration documentation is free in all 50 states.

A driver's license may cost you like ten bucks, but it's laminated. You get what you pay for.
backintexas2013
AG
You might be right but CA is about to have a problem in adult criminals very very soon. With the cratering of the juvenile system there, there has been an increase in teen homelessness. Also seeing an increase in juvenile crime. When they turn 18 it's not like they are going to stop. Once they are adults the system won't just release them.
TxAgswin
AG
Malibu2 said:

backintexas2013 said:

From my boots on the grounds conversations with the liberal populations of Los Angeles, a hard-on-crime Republican lite politician has a better than 50% chance of winning here. ex-San Diego mayor Kevin Faulconer for instance. That person would have to pay lip service to climate change, vaccines, and alternative lifestyles (it's still CA after all), but a hard on crime and pro-business message can finally win here.
Prop 47 simply re-categorized petty theft by dollar amount. It's essentially an overdue inflation adjustment.
backintexas2013
AG
$950 isn't exactly petty. It hurts businesses and especially small businesses. Thief's are worthless humans and we shouldn't be minimizing it.
aggieforester05
AG
TxAgswin said:

Catag94 said:

On the topic of too many people in jail, to assist with this, would you support more severe and swiftly applied penalties for criminal behavior? Most severe being the expanded use of the death penalty.

Or, are you more inclined to further decriminalize more behaviors?
The latter.

I am opposed to the death penalty. I believe it's unconstitutional (clearly violates the 8th amendment). It's also a measure that is used inside brutal theocracies. It is a medieval practice that needs to be abolished. It's embarrassing that we are on the list of countries that still implement the death penalty. You probably wouldn't want to live in any of the countries that have retained the death penalty.

What I would suggest is to legalize drugs. All of them.

And then let every single non-violent drug offender out of prison. That will open up a lot of space and save us a lot of money and will make it way easier for me to get weed.

It will also be a punch in the gut to the Cartels. Their base revenue source would go away at the stroke of a pen. So, instead of using our law enforcement resources on tracking down bags of weed, they can focus on things that are actually evil, like gun-running and human trafficking.

I'm all for this as long as we abolish non violent gun laws as well. Would you be for that? If I want to own a suppressor, a machine gun, a short barrel rifle, a short barrel shot gun, I'd be able to do so with the same FBI back ground check that happens with every other gun I purchase from a dealer?

MJ should have never been illegal at the federal level as that prohibition much like the NFA and Hughes amendment are unconstitutional. States should be able to regulate the former (IMO should be legal at state level), but the latter two should not as they are protected by the 2nd amendment from state regulation.

Imprisoning people for non violent drug or gun offenses is unAmerican. I'm also not a fan of imprisoning people for non malicious crimes (ie accidents), but that's another topic and I'm sure many will disagree.

Furthermore, all prohibitions create black markets that breed violent crime and result in economic decline, organized crime, mass incarceration, and innocents that are victimized. We need to take a smarter approach to crime across the board.

Giving a pass to some because of the color of their skin is a non starter though. Treating EVERYONE equally is the only way to move forward in a colorblind society which is the opposite goal of purposefully divisive progressive policy positions.
TxAgswin
AG
aggieforester05 said:

TxAgswin said:

Catag94 said:

On the topic of too many people in jail, to assist with this, would you support more severe and swiftly applied penalties for criminal behavior? Most severe being the expanded use of the death penalty.

Or, are you more inclined to further decriminalize more behaviors?
The latter.

I am opposed to the death penalty. I believe it's unconstitutional (clearly violates the 8th amendment). It's also a measure that is used inside brutal theocracies. It is a medieval practice that needs to be abolished. It's embarrassing that we are on the list of countries that still implement the death penalty. You probably wouldn't want to live in any of the countries that have retained the death penalty.

What I would suggest is to legalize drugs. All of them.

And then let every single non-violent drug offender out of prison. That will open up a lot of space and save us a lot of money and will make it way easier for me to get weed.

It will also be a punch in the gut to the Cartels. Their base revenue source would go away at the stroke of a pen. So, instead of using our law enforcement resources on tracking down bags of weed, they can focus on things that are actually evil, like gun-running and human trafficking.

I'm all for this as long as we abolish non violent gun laws as well. Would you be for that? If I want to own a suppressor, a machine gun, a short barrel rifle, a short barrel shot gun, I'd be able to do so with the same FBI back ground check that happens with every other gun I purchase from a dealer?

MJ should have never been illegal at the federal level as that prohibition much like the NFA and Hughes amendment are unconstitutional. States should be able to regulate the former (IMO should be legal at state level), but the latter two should not as they are protected by the 2nd amendment from state regulation.

Imprisoning people for non violent drug or gun offenses is unAmerican. I'm also not a fan of imprisoning people for non malicious crimes (ie accidents), but that's another topic and I'm sure many will disagree.

Furthermore, all prohibitions create black markets that breed violent crime and result in economic decline, organized crime, mass incarceration, and innocents that are victimized. We need to take a smarter approach to crime across the board.

Giving a pass to some because of the color of their skin is a non starter though. Treating EVERYONE equally is the only way to move forward in a colorblind society which is the opposite goal of purposefully divisive progressive policy positions.
Totally agree with you on all of that.

I'm actually a gun guy and a strong supporter of our Second Amendment Rights. I actually got to fire off a few rounds of .50 cal at my friend's ranch last weekend. Man, that's a powerful gun. It makes a little earthquake when you pull the trigger.

But I dropped my NRA membership because they are completely tone-deaf and kind of paranoid, and LaPierre is a lunatic. Also, their website sucks and hasn't figured out that I stopped paying dues like two years ago. My web credentials still work and they keep sending me ridiculous amounts of mail.
tysker
AG
TxAgswin said:

Malibu2 said:

backintexas2013 said:

Prop 47 simply re-categorized petty theft by dollar amount. It's essentially an overdue inflation adjustment.

In a deflationary environment for technology?
A $950 tv or computer today is a heck of a lot better than one of the same cost 10 years ago. Doesnt it seem strange that stealing a washing machine would be considered petty theft?
TxAgswin
AG
backintexas2013 said:

$950 isn't exactly petty. It hurts businesses and especially small businesses. Thief's are worthless humans and we shouldn't be minimizing it.
Yeah, less than a grand is petty and a misdemeanor in most states.

Here in Texas, it's actually $2,500 before it becomes a felony. California is just updating the legislation. I imagine their criminal courts are jam-packed, so they should actually raise that number way more.

Conducting a felony trial for less than 10 grand in losses is just dumb. The trial will cost more than the damages.

Side note, your attempt to pluralize thief was hilarious.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
OP is a Marxist, not a liberal.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
cevans_40
AG
Makes total sense now. Single issue pothead.

Hi grapesoda.
TxAgswin
AG
tysker said:

TxAgswin said:

Malibu2 said:

backintexas2013 said:

A $950 tv or computer today is a heck of a lot better than one of the same cost 10 years ago. Doesnt it seem strange that stealing a washing machine would be considered petty theft?
If you steal a washer, you kind of earned it. That's a pretty big thing to go steal. And now your wife is going to make you steal a dryer. I would steal smaller stuff.
backintexas2013
AG
Yes I screwed that up. Good call grammar police. I will own it. Thieves are worthless humans.

Also what it does to the court is irrelevant. The court should protect the community.

While I agree drugs are a victimless crime and should be legal stealing isn't victimless. It should be prosecuted as a felony.

I notice you still haven't answered the questions about drug treatment.
backintexas2013
AG
They are just stealing it so they can take care of their families. They don't want to steal. They just have to do it.
tysker
AG
TxAgswin said:

tysker said:

TxAgswin said:

Malibu2 said:

backintexas2013 said:

If you steal a washer, you kind of earned it. That's a pretty big thing to go steal. And now your wife is going to make you steal a dryer. I would steal smaller stuff.

How about a car worth with a blue book value under $1k? Its cool to take someone's access to personal transportation and easiest way to get to work? I mean I understand why the poor feel more and more abandoned by the system everyday. The government officials say they want to help underprivileged people but then deny them access to jobs and allow the economic rug to be pulled out from underneath them with signs of recourse or recovery.
TxAgswin
AG
cevans_40 said:

Makes total sense now. Single issue pothead.

Hi grapesoda.
1 out of 2 there.

I'm clearly not a single-issue guy. Just scroll up to see my responses on just about everything.

But I do smoke pot. I think some of you guys should consider it.
TxAgswin
AG
tysker said:

TxAgswin said:

tysker said:

TxAgswin said:

Malibu2 said:

backintexas2013 said:

How about a car worth with a blue book value under $1k? Its cool to take someone's access to personal transportation and easiest way to get to work? I mean I understand why the poor feel more and more abandoned by the system everyday. The government officials say they want to help underprivileged people but then deny them access to jobs and allow the economic rug to be pulled out from underneath them with signs of recourse or recovery.
Dude, the prop doesn't legalize theft. It just recategorizes how the court handles it.
tysker
AG
TxAgswin said:

tysker said:

TxAgswin said:

tysker said:

TxAgswin said:

Malibu2 said:

backintexas2013 said:

Dude, the prop doesn't legalize theft. It just recategorizes how the court handles it.

No penalty + no supervision = legitimatizing.
At least that how we conceive financial crimes in the securities industry
TxAgswin
AG
backintexas2013 said:

Yes I screwed that up. Good call grammar police. I will own it. Thieves are worthless humans.

Also what it does to the court is irrelevant. The court should protect the community.

While I agree drugs are a victimless crime and should be legal stealing isn't victimless. It should be prosecuted as a felony.

I notice you still haven't answered the questions about drug treatment.
What question about drug treatment? Scrolled back and can't find it. What's the question?
backintexas2013
AG
backintexas2013 said:

Then how will they pay their bills while in treatment? Also are you going to force treatment?
Catag94
AG
IP, do you live in a state that is consistent with your philosophies? I would think California, Washington, Oregon etc. seem like great states for you you?
ttu_85
Malibu2 said:

backintexas2013 said:

Good news, I guess. But the fact that Cali went so loony-tune left to begin with doesnt give me much faith they learned much. The CATO institutes ranks Cali 47th in total freedom- A summation of personal and eco freedom.
Do keep in mind that unlike far left Brookings, Cato is a libertarian Think Tank.

IndividualFreedom
OP, when you vote for democrats, do you hear babies cry?
One Louder
AG
Quote:

A photo ID needs to be required until Democrats agree to purge voter rolls of dead people.

As far as your refrain of correcting the racial ills of the past, I'd say no country has done more to try to live up to their ideal of equality than the US. Keep in mind how many white soldiers died in the Civil War. Consider how many well-intentioned (although most were poorly executed) legislative actions have been taken to level the playing field.

What is happening in our schools, entertainment, government, and social media platforms is so harmful. While you are correct that CRT in and of itself is not being taught in public schools, the basic tenets most certainly are being pushed. The idea that black students are labeled as perpetual victims and white students are considered inherently racist is so evil, it's hard to believe anyone would have found it acceptable. What does this division accomplish, other than increasing political power? It's shameful exploitation at the expense of children. I mean, it's one of the "Rules for Radicals", FFS. Biden was supposed to be a uniter and he has done anything BUT unite since he's been in office. He's gaslighted, whisper-shamed, ignored -- but he has NOT been the uniter he claimed he would be.
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

…but he has NOT been the uniter he claimed he would be.
And literally NO ONE is surprised by that. He has been a pathological liar his entire political career.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.