Alec Baldwin may be in some hot water

162,412 Views | 1634 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Daveintx
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We use clearing barrels at work. We do not dry fire in to them. Both parties inspect the weapon for clear and safe when handing it over.
CactusThomas
AG
That's good enough for me! But I assure you it's common practice to dry fire into the clearing barrels at least in some Army units.
Sea Speed
AG
Ok, I get that. Fair. People on here are advocating for pointing at thr ground and dry firing 6 times to prove clear and safe. That is just dumb.
aggiehawg
AG
Just doing a simple google search brings up recommendations for dry firing.

Quote:

Dry-Fire, Dry-Fire, Dry-Fire!
Dry fire is a technique anyone can practice at the range or, at home! Dry firing is simply the practice of shooting a firearm without ammunition in the chamber. The user pulls the trigger, the hammer drops, but nothing happens. Sounds pretty boring, right? Wrong! Once you see how well dry firing your gun can improve your accuracy, you'll be a proponent for life!

Dry Fire Safety
Always double-check that your firearm is unloaded before dry fire practice begins!
Always unload "by procedure" (call us and ask if you are unsure!) And, always orient the firearm in a safe direction, depending on YOUR environment.
Follow all safety rules at all times!

Visualization

Before dry fire begins, it's helpful to mentally note and verbalize: "dry-fire". Visualization is a gem that the highest level of gun enthusiasts' practices regularly to mentally prepare for the mental task at hand operating a weapon accurately and safely. Visualize every small step of the drawing, gripping, aiming, front sight focus and trigger squeeze process down to the minute detail before even reaching for your weapon. Use your other senses in the process! imagine the texture of the grip, the size, color and shape of your target, the sound of the surprising trigger break, the smell of freshly fired gun powder. According to experts, visualization can help improve shooting skills more quickly than with live-fire training alone. used on a regular basis through imagination and dry fire.

Let's get to the action!

What do you see?
Pick a point on the wall (use sticky notes) or a target and achieve a proper sight picture. With iron sights, focus on your front sight and avoid the temptation to check the target as you dry fire. The target should be out of focus, the front sight should be in focus, and the rear sight should be out of focus. Just stay focused on your front sight!

With an optic (red dot sight/ holographic sight, etc), the shooter should remain target focused. This gives you a huge advantage by keeping more of your attention on your field of view in front of you and makes for much faster target acquisition.

What do you feel?

"Prep" the trigger by positioning your finger on it properly, then taking all of the slack out of it. Then slowly add pressure until the trigger breaks. This will help you tremendously during live-fire. Remember: we typically "miss" because the gun moves while pressing the trigger, so use minimal force. When the trigger breaks, the front sight post should not budge! If it does, you should get back to the fundamentals of how to aim a pistol.

Rinse and Repeat

Now that you've dry fired once, it's time to do it again, and again and again! Every repetition simulates perfect live fire at the range, for completely free! Now, charge the slide to reset the trigger and repeat. At the range, practice 5 dry-fire reps for each live-fire rep. Continue this for 5 rounds and this drill will help you work through recoil anticipation and help get a feel for the trigger of your firearm. And, dry fire gun training will help make a box of 50 rounds EASILY last an hour! This is 717 Armory's motto, Learn | Shoot | Repeat at its core. Now get out there and go get after it!

Note: Do NOT dry fire rim-fire firearms such as those chambered in .22 Long Rifle without using snap-caps or other dummy cartridges. Otherwise, you will risk damaging the firing pin of rim-fire firearms. Many firearm manufacturers will also advise the use of snap caps to minimize damage to the breach-face or other areas.
Link
Foreverconservative
Why are we still talking in circles over dry firing. You can have all the subjective opinion all you want but the fact remains the same, dry-firing most centerfire rifles and handguns is perfectly safe once you have made certain they are unloaded and pointed in a safe direction. However, excessively dry-firing a rimfire gun is a bad idea. Repeated dry-firing of a rimfire can eventually peen the firing pin, dulling it and causing misfires.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
AzAg80
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

As far as checking to see if a firearm is loaded, dry firing is never recommended.
Other experienced Hollywood armorers disagree.
To clarify, it's not an either/or. The armorer listed both actions as part of the safety protocol. The gun is checked to ensure it is not loaded. Then, just as an additional fail-safe step, the dry firing is performed on the unloaded gun. Why? Because a human life is potentially at stake, and human beings are not always as careful as they should be. This process with all the repetitions hopefully drills it into their head.

It is better to verify 2 or 3 different ways that the gun is not loaded, than not at all. We just tragically saw what happens when multiple people "assumed" the gun was unloaded.

aggiehawg
AG
AzAg80 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

As far as checking to see if a firearm is loaded, dry firing is never recommended.
Other experienced Hollywood armorers disagree.
To clarify, it's not an either/or. The armorer listed both actions as part of the safety protocol. The gun is checked to ensure it is not loaded. Then, just as an additional fail-safe step, the dry firing is performed on the unloaded gun. Why? Because a human life is potentially at stake, and human beings are not always as careful as they should be. This process with all the repetitions hopefully drills it into their head.

It is better to verify 2 or 3 different ways that the gun is not loaded, than not at all. We just tragically saw what happens when multiple people "assumed" the gun was unloaded.

Redundancy is built in for a reason. Surprised how much pushback this is getting over yet one more layer for safety.

The actors and crew are in a work place and when guns are present, an inherently dangerous work place. Those protocols are there to ensure no accident like this could ever occur. And as tragic as this case is, it just shows how important the redundancy is..
aggiehawg
AG
Covid protocols played a role? Is that why the armorer wasn't present?

aggiehawg
AG

This was speculated before.
evan_aggie
AG
NICU Dad said:

evan_aggie said:

You all arguing that Baldwin is criminally responsible are about to see two standards exist. If this was some random person not associated with a movie production or Hollywood, then sure.

But somehow the laws of the land will give a pass to a person pulling the trigger on a "movie set" and even more so a political ally to liberals.

They will argue it was a professional environment and two people lied to Baldwin saying it was empty.

It is mind blowing that this "armorer" didn't check the chamber and the clip.
Clip on a revolver?

That's a new one. Wonder if the Colt had a mounting bracket for the chainsaw bayonet too.

Okay, even worse. All they had to do was open up the cylinder ( I forgot...wester, revolver, yes).
CactusThomas
AG
You don't "open up the cylinder" on a SAA.

It has a loading gate, you inspect each chamber one at a time. Some of y'all should really get out more.
TexasRebel
AG
But, "dry-firing to show that it's unloaded" is a dangerous redundancy. If you need that much redundancy, remove the cylinder or the firing pin.

Most firearms are extremely easy to tear down.
Hell, Johnny Depp actually stripped the main spring out of a '21 Thompson in a scene for Public Enemy. Armorers can easily render arms inoperable for rehearsal.

They even make "chamber empty" flags that can only be used when chambers are empty.
AzAg80
AG
Haven't read all 17 pages of this thread, but my 2 cents worth is that the ultimate accountability rests squarely on Alec Baldwin's shoulders. He was handed a gun, he took someone else's word that it was unloaded, then proceeded to point it at a person and pull the trigger. I don't believe this was intentional (murder) but it was clearly a negligent homicide. He needs to be prosecuted on this charge. Others may share some blame, and should also be charged in accordance, but Alec Baldwin pulled the trigger.
Belton Ag
AG
I'm definitely not a lawyer, but it appears New Mexico has an Involuntary Manslaughter statute on the books that could possibly be used in this case to prosecute. I can see a scenario where the Armor and the AD could possibly be tried for this, and of course Baldwin as well. In the end, though, I'd be tempted to bet money that this whole thing is chalked up to an extremely unfortunate accident and no charges will be brought.
ShaggySLC
Belton Ag said:

I'm definitely not a lawyer, but it appears New Mexico has an Involuntary Manslaughter statute on the books that could possibly be used in this case to prosecute. I can see a scenario where the Armor and the AD could possibly be tried for this, and of course Baldwin as well. In the end, though, I'd be tempted to bet money that this whole thing is chalked up to an extremely unfortunate accident and no charges will be brought.
I see it going that way if the husband doesn't make a stink, plus Hollywood will want this to go away quickly. I could see Union people causing a stir but I figure it will just be large settlements in civil court.
aggiehawg
AG
ShaggySLC said:

Belton Ag said:

I see it going that way if the husband doesn't make a stink, plus Hollywood will want this to go away quickly. I could see Union people causing a stir but I figure it will just be large settlements in civil court.
The husband? Yes. But there is also another entity that might push for criminal charges, the insurance company or companies. You know they have their investigators all over this case. Policy is more than likely null and void in the presence of criminal charges.
ShaggySLC
That's a good point, didn't think about that.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

First the weapon is fetched from a safe. It is immediately checked to make sure there is no ammunition in the chamber. This is often done by shining a flashlight into the barrel or by using a thin rod pushed through the chamber.

If the weapon is brought by an armorer to a prop master, the prop master will perform the exact same check and then put the gun back into its protective sleeve. Once on the set, the gun goes through the same check in the presence of the assistant director.

"I'm usually a nervous wreck when we have to use firearms on a shoot, because it is a weapon and you can't be complacent," says Walters, who lives in northern New Mexico and has spent plenty of time on Western-style films the state has attracted for nearly a century. "It's just far too serious a thing to take lightly."
The reason some armorers turned down this job before Hannah was hired was because Baldwin's production company wanted one person to be both the armorer and the prop master, thus removing the second pair of eyes and a second checking of the weapon. And indeed, Hannah was hired to do both jobs.

Quote:

At this point in the process, there are options. If the actors and crew are rehearsing, often a rubber replica gun is handed to the actor. If at the next stage of blocking the scene a real weapon is required by the director, then the thoroughly checked empty weapon is brought out.

Once the scene is ready to be shot, the prop master or armorer will load prepared blanks with no bullet tips into the gun's chamber. "We'll put in not one more than the number of shots the actor plans to shoot," Walters says.

Once the weapon is loaded and in the actor's hand, an assistant director typically yells "Gun's hot," and the scene is shot. "If there are delays of any kind, to tweak the lights or anything, I will take that gun back," Walters says.

Likewise, as soon as the scene is wrapped, the prop master will reclaim the weapon and secure it.

Quote:

But those aren't the only safeguards in place. Actors and even sometimes crew will receive training from weapons professionals on gun safety. "You spend time with them, showing how a gun works, how you don't point it at anyone ever, how you keep your finger off the trigger and always point it down," Walters says.
Quote:

If the actor points the weapon in the general direction of crew or the camera, measures are taken. Typically plexiglass shields with holes for the camera lens are crafted to protect operators from any muzzle flashes or gas discharges, even though typically they are never closer than about 15 feet from the weapon. The camera operator might also wear a special suit for protection.

"These days, you can set up a camera for remote control, so frankly if there's no one in the direction of where the actor is shooting, even better," Schneider says.

Sometimes, the financial and time pressures of filmmaking require those who oversee weapons to stay extremely vigilant and even push back against producers and directors.

Walters says that once a gun leaves his hand for an actor, he watches every move. Once, he recalls, an actor followed his script directions by jumping off a horse and, once on the ground, shooting at another actor. But when the actor hit the mud, Walters noticed dirt plug up the gun's barrel.

"I immediately stopped the shot, because in that gun, the mud could become a projectile," he says. "It's just a movie, and I can't imagine someone getting hurt because I wasn't paying attention."
Now here we come back to the possible covid protocols complication. As both armorer and prop master, she should have been on set, and retrieved the gun from Baldwin when the camera was being reset due to lighting issues but she was not on set. Was the reason she was not there because of covid measures of shooting in an enclosed space??

Quote:

When a prop master is tasked with overseeing weapons, they must have gun-handling licenses and permits that can vary by state. Walters and Schneider, who have such expertise, lay out identical steps taken when a gun is required in a scene.
New question: was she properly licensed? IDK,
Quote:

The details of what happened on the set of "Rust" eventually will come out. But reports suggesting that a new and inexperienced hire might have contributed to the tragedy will hammer home that while Hollywood may always try to cut corners to make a deadline or meet a budget, guns are not the place to do it.

"You have to have only experienced people handling firearms on a set," Walters says. "You can't just pull someone in who wants to get into the movies and say: 'Here are the guns. Good luck.' Because it's that person's job to protect anyone around those guns from being injured, or worse."
Link
AzAg80
AG
aggiehawg said:

ShaggySLC said:

Belton Ag said:

The husband? Yes. But there is also another entity that might push for criminal charges, the insurance company or companies. You know they have their investigators all over this case. Policy is more than likely null and void in the presence of criminal charges.
What about New Mexico? I'm not sure what the DA's motivation would be to agree not to file charges, unless it would be to avoid pissing off the movie industry. But if they do that, how could they come back later and prosecute, for example, a parent for leaving a loaded gun where a child could pick it up and shoot someone? The double legal standard would be glaring.

I guess we're going to find out if the DA has a backbone.

Foreverconservative
Too soon?

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
aggiehawg
AG
AzAg80 said:

aggiehawg said:

ShaggySLC said:

Belton Ag said:

What about New Mexico? I'm not sure what the DA's motivation would be to agree not to file charges, unless it would be to avoid pissing off the movie industry. But if they do that, how could they come back later and prosecute, for example, a parent for leaving a loaded gun where a child could pick it up and shoot someone? The double legal standard would be glaring.

Whether to bring charges or not is in the sole discretion of the prosecutor. Now if there are family members clamoring for charges, it has an impact. If the insurance company investigators are digging up more incriminating evidence and putting pressure on that prosecutor, it has an impact.

But if there is no such pressure, prosecutor is left weighing the evidence for beyond a reasonable doubt for involuntary manslaughter. Case law is favorable for Baldwin to be indicted for that but the prosecutors might just be content to charge the armorer/prop master and maybe the AD.

There is supposed to be a presser sometime tomorrow for an update on the investigation. We'll know a little more then where it is heading, if anywhere. At a minimum should have some autopsy results of the projectile than killed her and wounded another. Further, ballistics will have tested the gun for any defects that might have caused it to misfire without Baldwin pulling the trigger.
Ag with kids
AG

Looks like Alec needs to invest in a whole lotta these...
AzAg80
AG
aggiehawg said:

AzAg80 said:

aggiehawg said:

ShaggySLC said:

Belton Ag said:

Whether to bring charges or not is in the sole discretion of the prosecutor. Now if there are family members clamoring for charges, it has an impact. If the insurance company investigators are digging up more incriminating evidence and putting pressure on that prosecutor, it has an impact.

But if there is no such pressure, prosecutor is left weighing the evidence for beyond a reasonable doubt for involuntary manslaughter. Case law is favorable for Baldwin to be indicted for that but the prosecutors might just be content to charge the armorer/prop master and maybe the AD.

There is supposed to be a presser sometime tomorrow for an update on the investigation. We'll know a little more then where it is heading, if anywhere. At a minimum should have some autopsy results of the projectile than killed her and wounded another. Further, ballistics will have tested the gun for any defects that might have caused it to misfire without Baldwin pulling the trigger.
Thanks
aggiehawg
AG
Forgot where I read it earlier today but like most indie films these days, this vanity project* of Baldwin's was not designed to be on the big screen other than maybe some film festivals. It was meant to be streamed. Hence the low budget and all of the producer credits to get a share on the back end.

The history of this project has an amalgam of companies involved, some raised money from individual investors, some worked on the streaming rights and so on. Those people are also going to be out money when the production is just shuttered. Investors will be pissed.

Pressure could also come from folks like that.

*Vanity project in that he co-wrote the script, was primary producer and the leading star.
thirdcoast
AG
This movie was on track to be a blockbuster and Alec would win an Oscar like Clint Eastwood....at least that's what Baldwin thought.

Quote:

Baldwin plays the grandfather, an outlaw named Harland Rust. The actor compared the film to Clint Eastwood's Oscar-winning revisionist Western Unforgiven in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter last year.
aggiehawg
AG
thirdcoast said:

This movie was on track to be a blockbuster and Alec would win an Oscar like Clint Eastwood....at least that's what Baldwin thought.

Quote:

Baldwin plays the grandfather, an outlaw named Harland Rust. The actor compared the film to Clint Eastwood's Oscar-winning revisionist Western Unforgiven in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter last year.

Well, now we know that Alec Baldwin is certifiable. He couldn't hold Eastwood's jock personally nor professionally.
AgBQ-00
AG

This is absolutely correct.
Sarge 91
AG
aggiehawg said:

Forgot where I read it earlier today but like most indie films these days, this vanity project* of Baldwin's was not designed to be on the big screen other than maybe some film festivals. It was meant to be streamed. Hence the low budget and all of the producer credits to get a share on the back end.

The history of this project has an amalgam of companies involved, some raised money from individual investors, some worked on the streaming rights and so on. Those people are also going to be out money when the production is just shuttered. Investors will be pissed.

*Vanity project in that he co-wrote the script, was primary producer and the leading star.

Insurance will cover that. There is always business interruption coverage on these films that kicks in if there is a shutdown.
Agthatbuilds
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

First the weapon is fetched from a safe. It is immediately checked to make sure there is no ammunition in the chamber. This is often done by shining a flashlight into the barrel or by using a thin rod pushed through the chamber.

If the weapon is brought by an armorer to a prop master, the prop master will perform the exact same check and then put the gun back into its protective sleeve. Once on the set, the gun goes through the same check in the presence of the assistant director.

"I'm usually a nervous wreck when we have to use firearms on a shoot, because it is a weapon and you can't be complacent," says Walters, who lives in northern New Mexico and has spent plenty of time on Western-style films the state has attracted for nearly a century. "It's just far too serious a thing to take lightly."
The reason some armorers turned down this job before Hannah was hired was because Baldwin's production company wanted one person to be both the armorer and the prop master, thus removing the second pair of eyes and a second checking of the weapon. And indeed, Hannah was hired to do both jobs.

Quote:

At this point in the process, there are options. If the actors and crew are rehearsing, often a rubber replica gun is handed to the actor. If at the next stage of blocking the scene a real weapon is required by the director, then the thoroughly checked empty weapon is brought out.

Once the scene is ready to be shot, the prop master or armorer will load prepared blanks with no bullet tips into the gun's chamber. "We'll put in not one more than the number of shots the actor plans to shoot," Walters says.

Once the weapon is loaded and in the actor's hand, an assistant director typically yells "Gun's hot," and the scene is shot. "If there are delays of any kind, to tweak the lights or anything, I will take that gun back," Walters says.

Likewise, as soon as the scene is wrapped, the prop master will reclaim the weapon and secure it.

Quote:

But those aren't the only safeguards in place. Actors and even sometimes crew will receive training from weapons professionals on gun safety. "You spend time with them, showing how a gun works, how you don't point it at anyone ever, how you keep your finger off the trigger and always point it down," Walters says.
Quote:

If the actor points the weapon in the general direction of crew or the camera, measures are taken. Typically plexiglass shields with holes for the camera lens are crafted to protect operators from any muzzle flashes or gas discharges, even though typically they are never closer than about 15 feet from the weapon. The camera operator might also wear a special suit for protection.

"These days, you can set up a camera for remote control, so frankly if there's no one in the direction of where the actor is shooting, even better," Schneider says.

Sometimes, the financial and time pressures of filmmaking require those who oversee weapons to stay extremely vigilant and even push back against producers and directors.

Walters says that once a gun leaves his hand for an actor, he watches every move. Once, he recalls, an actor followed his script directions by jumping off a horse and, once on the ground, shooting at another actor. But when the actor hit the mud, Walters noticed dirt plug up the gun's barrel.

"I immediately stopped the shot, because in that gun, the mud could become a projectile," he says. "It's just a movie, and I can't imagine someone getting hurt because I wasn't paying attention."
Now here we come back to the possible covid protocols complication. As both armorer and prop master, she should have been on set, and retrieved the gun from Baldwin when the camera was being reset due to lighting issues but she was not on set. Was the reason she was not there because of covid measures of shooting in an enclosed space??

Quote:

When a prop master is tasked with overseeing weapons, they must have gun-handling licenses and permits that can vary by state. Walters and Schneider, who have such expertise, lay out identical steps taken when a gun is required in a scene.
New question: was she properly licensed? IDK,
Quote:

The details of what happened on the set of "Rust" eventually will come out. But reports suggesting that a new and inexperienced hire might have contributed to the tragedy will hammer home that while Hollywood may always try to cut corners to make a deadline or meet a budget, guns are not the place to do it.

"You have to have only experienced people handling firearms on a set," Walters says. "You can't just pull someone in who wants to get into the movies and say: 'Here are the guns. Good luck.' Because it's that person's job to protect anyone around those guns from being injured, or worse."
Link

Did she know the difference between an actual live round and a blank? Serious question.

Why would a live round ever be on a set?
aggiehawg
AG
Sarge 91 said:

aggiehawg said:

Insurance will cover that. There is always business interruption coverage on these films that kicks in if there is a shutdown.
Not anymore, Policies changed after 9/11. This isn't terrorist event obviously but they changed a lot.
Ulrich
Also, insurance companies sneak as many outs into the contracts as they can. I assume it's like normal business insurance where they make you answer a bunch of questions about all the things you're doing to prevent accidents, and write in a bunch of conditions that have to be met to pay out. If you violate a condition or turn out to not have been doing something you said you were, then no payout for you.
Albatross Necklace
Would you trust this person to be in charge of your guns?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10134061/Criminal-charges-not-ruled-shooting-Alec-Baldwin-film-report.html
eric76
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

Would you trust this person to be in charge of your guns?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10134061/Criminal-charges-not-ruled-shooting-Alec-Baldwin-film-report.html
The back of her t-shirt is a bit disturbing. Does she like to be tied up? (Look at the other pictures in the article.)
ShaggySLC
Definitely seems to be the case
NICU Dad
AG
evan_aggie said:

NICU Dad said:

evan_aggie said:

You all arguing that Baldwin is criminally responsible are about to see two standards exist. If this was some random person not associated with a movie production or Hollywood, then sure.

But somehow the laws of the land will give a pass to a person pulling the trigger on a "movie set" and even more so a political ally to liberals.

They will argue it was a professional environment and two people lied to Baldwin saying it was empty.

It is mind blowing that this "armorer" didn't check the chamber and the clip.
Clip on a revolver?

That's a new one. Wonder if the Colt had a mounting bracket for the chainsaw bayonet too.

Okay, even worse. All they had to do was open up the cylinder ( I forgot...wester, revolver, yes).

Your expertise with guns is watching Lethal Weapon movies, and not actually using guns right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.