Cops Kill Man Who Answered Door Holding A Gun

13,740 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CanyonAg77
SirLurksALot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
powerbelly said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

Ok. And il save quoting it, but do you see how unreasonable all of that is when you put it together in real life and how the actions of the police all put together create an unwinnable situation for a guy that did nothing wrong?

Nothing wrong? The way the guy answered the door was absolutely wrong. It stupid to answer the door like that if you don't know who is outside. Even you suspect bad actors are outside it's still dumb to put yourself at a disadvantage like that.

He didn't ask who was there. He didn't ask for identification. He created the problem with his actions. The cops actions up to that point were absolutely normal.

From the perspective of the officer that shot I don't believe his actions were unreasonable.

Citizens shouldn't have to behave perfectly to not get shot by police. Especially when they have broken no laws.

Sure, in a perfect world. However, in the real world we can only expect people to act reasonably given the circumstances. This obviously creates situations in which decisions may be bad, but not necessarily illegal.

No one said the guy had to act perfectly. If you confront cops with a firearm, then it's reasonable to expect you might get shot. This is true even if you didn't know they were cops.
agsalaska
AG
SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

Ok. And il save quoting it, but do you see how unreasonable all of that is when you put it together in real life and how the actions of the police all put together create an unwinnable situation for a guy that did nothing wrong?

Nothing wrong? The way the guy answered the door was absolutely wrong. It stupid to answer the door like that if you don't know who is outside. Even you suspect bad actors are outside it's still dumb to put yourself at a disadvantage like that.

He didn't ask who was there. He didn't ask for identification. He created the problem with his actions. The cops actions up to that point were absolutely normal.

From the perspective of the officer that shot I don't believe his actions were unreasonable.

You just made my point. If only identifying yourself one time, hiding so they cant see who you are, and blinding them with a flashlight is perfectly normal, then it shouldn't be.

Sure, i woukdnt have done what the guy did either. But dont pretend the cops did not create the situation to begin with.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
SirLurksALot
agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

You just made my point. If only identifying yourself one time, hiding so they cant see who you are, and blinding them with a flashlight is perfectly normal, then it shouldn't be.

Sure, i woukdnt have done what the guy did either. But dont pretend the cops did not create the situation to begin with.

How many times are cops expected to announce themselves in 10 seconds?

Why is it unreasonable for cops to protect themselves by not standing in the doorway? This is not a scenario that normally happens. Requiring cops to stand in the door way isn't going to save lives as most reasonable people aren't going to act like the subject did.

Why is unreasonable to shine their flash light? As I said earlier, the light on briefly goes into the subjects eyes for a Split second. It doesn't appear they intentionally tired to blind him.
Cobra39
combat wombat said:

So the guy upstairs called 911 TWICE for a noise complaint? He didn't bother going down and asking his neighbor to keep it down? Now his neighbor is dead.
Nobody talks to or knows their neighbor anymore.

Cobra39
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
This is murder.
Builder93
AG
Cobra39 said:

combat wombat said:

So the guy upstairs called 911 TWICE for a noise complaint? He didn't bother going down and asking his neighbor to keep it down? Now his neighbor is dead.

Cobra39

This here.

Also, if the person who called had actually made it sound worse than reality just to get the police to show up faster, then they need to be held accountable. I'm not sure how, but the description of the call makes it sound like the caller embellished to get results. Mission accomplished, the neighbor won't be noisy now.
agsalaska
AG
SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

Why is it unreasonable for cops to protect themselves by not standing in the doorway? This is not a scenario that normally happens. Requiring cops to stand in the door way isn't going to save lives as most reasonable people aren't going to act like the subject did.

Why is unreasonable to shine their flash light? As I said earlier, the light on briefly goes into the subjects eyes for a Split second. It doesn't appear they intentionally tired to blind him.

Because it leads to innocent people being killed. That's why.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
SirLurksALot
agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

Cops do theses actions thousands of times per day and people don't die. The only difference here is that the subject decided to confront the cops with the weapon.
Ags4DaWin
SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

Why is it unreasonable for cops to protect themselves by not standing in the doorway? They have to identify themselves to give the person they are interacting with a chance to comply. Its part of the job. This is not a scenario that normally happens. Requiring cops to stand in the door way isn't going to save lives as most reasonable people aren't going to act like the subject did. This is dumb. 11 o'clock at night. maybe he has had people trying to break into his house? Maybe the neighbor that called made a fake call and they have been fighting and the neighbor threatened him? In all of those situations, arming yourself prior to opening the door especially if someone announces they are the cops but you have no visual confirmation because the person is intentionally staying out of sight of the peephole IS reasonable. It could be a trap. The point is that it is THE RESPONSIBILITY of the police to give citizens they encounter a chance to comply. When a police officer fails to adequately identify themselves AND IN FACT ACTS TO PREVENT THE CITIZEN FROM BEING ABLE TO IDENTIFY THEM (via hiding from visual sight, and then blinding them with a flashlight) and then fails to give the citizen a chance to comply, the responsibility for what happens should lie with the police officer.

Why is unreasonable to shine their flash light? As I said earlier, the light on briefly goes into the subjects eyes for a Split second. It doesn't appear they intentionally tired to blind him. bull**** and deep down you know it. that light was intended to blind him. it takes several minutes after a shine like that in the dead of night for your eyes to fully recover. it doesn't matter if the light was shined for a minute or 3 seconds, the victim's vision was impaired.

i get that u support the cops and want to give them the benefit of the doubt. i do to and i am usually the first to look for mitigating circumstances.

at the end of the day there are none here. the cops were wrong from the get go.
Ags4DaWin
SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

Cops do theses actions thousands of times per day and people don't die. The only difference here is that the subject decided to confront the cops with the weapon.

yeah, except this guy did not know it was the cops on the other side of the door because they failed to adequately identify themselves.

this is also the problem with the excessive use of no knock raids.
Ags4DaWin
SirLurksALot said:

Ags4DaWin said:

read my post above.

he did not know it was the cops who knocked.

back down. you are so wrong its not even funny. admit ur wrong and walk away.

Well, we don't know what he knew, but I never said he did know.

I was asked what I would do if some knocked on my door and said they were cops late at night. My response was based on that question.

What the victim knew and did not know can be reasonably deduced based on his reactions once he had information. my post illustrates that point.
chevy con queso
AG
SirLurksALot said:

The fact the he answered the door so quickly with the gun probably means he already had the gun out during the domestic disturbance.
You haven't really considered that some people live differently than you and have a different relationship with firearms.

I have loaded guns all over my house, ready to grab at a moments notice, because I don't want to wear a holster in my house, and I don't have kids to worry about.

My wife and I have fights sometimes. Guns don't get pointed at each other either.

My neighbors text or call if they need something, and I've had some sketchy people knock on the door in the middle of the night before. If someone knocked on the door at a late hour I'd immediately drop the fight, grab defensive measures and inspect. There is absolutely no evidence the guy was pointing a gun at her or threatening her with it. Could he have? Maybe, but there is a very easy to explain alternative.

SirLurksALot
Ags4DaWin said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

Why is it unreasonable for cops to protect themselves by not standing in the doorway? They have to identify themselves to give the person they are interacting with a chance to comply. Its part of the job. This is not a scenario that normally happens. Requiring cops to stand in the door way isn't going to save lives as most reasonable people aren't going to act like the subject did. This is dumb. 11 o'clock at night. maybe he has had people trying to break into his house? Maybe the neighbor that called made a fake call and they have been fighting and the neighbor threatened him? In all of those situations, arming yourself prior to opening the door especially if someone announces they are the cops but you have no visual confirmation because the person is intentionally staying out of sight of the peephole IS reasonable. It could be a trap. The point is that it is THE RESPONSIBILITY of the police to give citizens they encounter a chance to comply. When a police officer fails to adequately identify themselves AND IN FACT ACTS TO PREVENT THE CITIZEN FROM BEING ABLE TO IDENTIFY THEM (via hiding from visual sight, and then blinding them with a flashlight) and then fails to give the citizen a chance to comply, the responsibility for what happens should lie with the police officer.

Why is unreasonable to shine their flash light? As I said earlier, the light on briefly goes into the subjects eyes for a Split second. It doesn't appear they intentionally tired to blind him. bull**** and deep down you know it. that light was intended to blind him. it takes several minutes after a shine like that in the dead of night for your eyes to fully recover. it doesn't matter if the light was shined for a minute or 3 seconds, the victim's vision was impaired.

i get that u support the cops and want to give them the benefit of the doubt. i do to and i am usually the first to look for mitigating circumstances.

at the end of the day there are none here. the cops were wrong from the get go.

From a legal standpoint You're just wrong.

Cops only have to identify themselves in away they could reasonably expect the subject to understand. They did that here. They knocked on the door and loudly announced police. I don't know what else should be expected. They can't know the mindset of the subject or wether he heard their announ

The problem is that you're looking at the situation from the perspective of the subject. When determining if the use of force was justified the only thing that matter is the perspective of the officer who fired. Whether the subjects actions are reasonable or not is irrelevant. The officer can't know the subjects mindset or his motivations.

Wether you like it or not avoiding the fatal funnel is standard police training all over the country. You can't hold the cops Criminally liable for doing what they were trained to do.

You're last point is just ridiculous. What leads you to believe it they intentionally tried to blind him? As soon as the officer recognized the light was in the subjects face he lowered. Assuming it was intentional is just wishful thinking.

I actually don't always support cops. Look at my previous posting history and you'll see I've been quite critical of cops in other situations. In this situation from the officer's perspective I don't know how you can make the determination that his actions were unreasonable. The problem is the general public doesn't have a good understanding of the legal requirements for use of force or how such uses of force are judged.
chevy con queso
AG
Cobra39 said:

combat wombat said:

Cobra39

Some of us still do. I'm friends with them or we are well acquainted. The college kids next door have no problem turning down the music when I text.
SirLurksALot
Ags4DaWin said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

yeah, except this guy did not know it was the cops on the other side of the door because they failed to adequately identify themselves.

this is also the problem with the excessive use of no knock raids.

Wether the subject knew or not is irrelevant to the discussion of if the officers actions were reasonable. The officer actions are only judged based on what the officer knew at the time.

They knocked and loudly announced police. Maybe from now on cops should just walk around with megaphones since apparently the knock and announce standard is no longer "adequate".
BigRobSA
SirLurksALot said:

Ags4DaWin said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

In this situation from the officer's perspective I don't know how you can make the determination that his actions were unreasonable.

BlueDiamond of #ExtremelyBadTake

There was zero "reasonable" about that whole thing. In fact, this is akin to the one where the guy was in the hotel hall and totally defenseless and they STILL shot him.

Absolutely silly to claim it was even remotely reasonable.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
SirLurksALot
BigRobSA said:

SirLurksALot said:

Ags4DaWin said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

In this situation from the officer's perspective I don't know how you can make the determination that his actions were unreasonable.

BlueDiamond of #ExtremelyBadTake

There was zero "reasonable" about that whole thing. In fact, this is akin to the one where the guy was in the hotel hall and totally defenseless and they STILL shot him.

Absolutely silly to claim it was even remotely reasonable.

It's a completely different situation and disingenuous to compare the two.
SirLurksALot
This will be my last post in this thread until new information is announced. I've posted my views based on the legal justifications for use of force. At this point we're just talking in circles. Essentially every point has been covered based on the available facts.

We'll just have to let this play out and see what happens. My bet is the shooting will eventually be ruled justified either by the DA or a jury during trial.
agsalaska
AG
SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

LEGALLY!!
Bass Ag
AG
I would have done the same thing at 11pm, and I would of probably just gotten off my couch or out of bed and not fully awake and I would have been executed, this is bull***** By the way I live in a rural area so I would have came to the door with something other than a handgun.
cuz-i-can
AG
The human brain processes things in a certain order..

This Police Officer was processing things in his brain:
-responding to a domestic violence call
-agitated 911 caller giving multiple updates to dispatcher or 911 call taker trying to update in real time.
-Officers approach the door and make contact
-Male subject who may/may not involved in a recent violent encounter opens the door with a firearm
-The officer who shot had to make a split second decision...shoot/don't shoot...
-the human brain sees a threat through their eyes...for the process to get to the brain nano seconds...but process all of it in realtime...
SMM48
AG
I wouldn't have answered the door.
bmks270
AG
What I find the least reasonable is that the cops blinded the guy and he had zero chance to comply.

He opened the door not knowing it was police and then got smoked with one hand in the air in the surrender stance and while bending over to put the gun down or get on the ground.

The victim didn't violate any laws. He didn't resist police or refuse any order (and none were given). He answered a knock at 11 PM and was ambushed by police who were hiding out of sight of the peep hole and blinding him with a light.
cuz-i-can
AG
The reason is when cops used to do that they would get shot through the door...it's called not being in the "fatal funnel"...
agsalaska
AG
FunkyKO said:

I wouldn't have answered the door.
I made that point earlier and probably took it too far.

If it was the cops I would have eventually opened the door. But I would for damn sure positively identify them beforehand either visually or thru 911. And either disarm or deep conceal. If I could not positively identify them I would not open the door.
Diyala Nick
AG
Wow.

That would have been a questionable shooting in Iraq circa 2004 - 2007. Looks like manslaughter to me.
erudite
SirLurksALot said:

agsalaska said:

I don't live in the city, but I don't think I would answer the door at 11pm anyway especiallyif my wife and kids were all home. Cop or not. **** off. You can come back at 8am when I open. I dont really care what you need. If you want to talk to me about something my number is public and you are welcome to call me.

For domestic violence calls this is not an option. The cops won't leave until it is determined that no one has been injured.

That's just a disaster waiting to happen.
IF cops break down the door they might be fixing to catch lead because someone thinks they are getting invaded.
If the DV suspect really wants to suicide by cop they will take out there other SO first.
If someone answers with a gun then they might get shot by the cops.
Zero sum game indeed.

I think that if the neighbor called in a false report he should be charged with accessory to manslaughter. But I am but a layman.
bmks270
AG
cuz-i-can said:

The reason is when cops used to do that they would get shot through the door...it's called not being in the "fatal funnel"...

I understand that as a reason for not standing in front t do the door, makes cops an easy target. But it's hard to watch the defensive ambush tactics of the police here and then see the innocent guy get smoked dead before he comprehended the situation.

From the body cams the guy didn't appear threatening at all. However, a body cam is nowhere close to the resolution of the human eyes and cannot record instinctual response or emotion. The officers eyes may have keyed in on the weapon and that single thought taken control of the mind and body, tunnel vision, not seeing that the man had his other hand up in a surrender fashion.

Instead of focusing on what unfolded, maybe it would be more fruitful to focus on what mitigations by the officers could have have prevented this shooting while maintaining officer safety?

I think the officer who pulled the trigger probably got an adrenaline high when he saw the gun and just reflexively drew his weapon and fired. His mind couldn't process what was happening or what the guy was doing, the brains just recognized gun = threat = shoot!
The TC Jester
bmks270 said:

Happily playing video games at 11 PM.
There is a knock at the door.
It's late, an odd time for a door knock. You can't see anyone in the peep hole, grab pistol.
It's the cops, one blinds you with a light and the other shoots you in the back before speaking any words.
They were responding to a noise complaint.

https://newsmaven.io/pinacnews/eye-on-government/watch-phoenix-cops-kill-man-after-responding-to-noise-complaint-over-video-game-AsvFt-AHpkeQlcgNj5qiTA?fbclid=IwAR08ecdfdhJiwDzRjk_NUjLk9mDuEUfCOIHgHKrahoZ7Y3hUQYqoAdaBPOA

Why do cops knock on doors like this? With a blinding flash light for a noise complaint?

He's white, WGAS? some cops are idiots but vast majority are good. We need em. Total chaos without em.
cuz-i-can
AG
bmks270 said:

cuz-i-can said:

I understand that as a reason for not standing in front t do the door, makes cops an easy target. But it's hard to watch the defensive ambush tactics of the police here and then see the innocent guy get smoked dead before he comprehended the situation.

From the body cams the guy didn't appear threatening at all. However, a body cam is nowhere close to the resolution of the human eyes and cannot record instinctual response or emotion. The officers eyes may have keyed in on the weapon and that single thought taken control of the mind and body, tunnel vision, not seeing that the man had his other hand up in a surrender fashion.

Instead of focusing on what unfolded, maybe it would be more fruitful to focus on what mitigations by the officers could have have prevented this shooting while maintaining officer safety?

I think the officer who pulled the trigger probably got an adrenaline high when he saw the gun and just reflexively drew his weapon and fired. His mind couldn't process what was happening or what the guy was doing, the brains just recognized gun = threat = shoot!

I agree... but at which point through this thought process would you say.."Now is the time to protect my brother/sister? "
SMM48
AG
SMM48
AG
I feel for the guy...lessons to be learned. the poor guy exited his apartment with a firearm in his hand..... Someone knocks on the door late...grab weapon sure....but don't step outside. Makes no sense, leaves backside exposed

Do not exit home with firearm in hand
Oautlawag2005
AG
Sid Farkas said:

Dont aggressively answer your door by walking out with a gun in your hand esp when you hear the cops announcing themselves before you open?

this guy didnt handle the situation right at all. he gave the cops all the fear/reason they needed to overreact

of course, if the decedent was black the story would be completely different

He had one hand up and was clearly putting his gun down.
AColunga07
AG
I'm glad playing Halo wasn't a capital offense when I went to school.
TexAgs91
AG
Has the cop that shot him been arrested yet?
I identify as Ultra-MAGA

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.