What happened to the dinosaurs?

10,982 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Woody2006
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
"Dinosaurs are still with us. You see them every single day. We just call them birds."

Global warming did them in and they turned into birds, a hummingbird used to be a T-Rex

Some folks will believe anything

Evolution seems to be a real problem for you to get a handle on. T. Rex is more of a cousin.
lol...I thought WinAgs was joking.
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
quote:
I remember when I went to a fundamentalist school, Ken Hamm came and visited and talked about sightings of large, dinosaur-like, creatures deep in the jungles of Africa. He said the descriptions fit those of dinosaurs perfectly.

In hindsight, I believe it was Hamm that said that. Could have been one of my teachers though.
Which school?
Fundamentalist school I went to in Louisville tied to my church.
John Maplethorpe
AG
Is the assumption that the mass extinction in question stumps scientists? It doesn't. This is a very good example of revolution in action. Start with the wiki page, it's pretty interesting if you like this stuff.
Furlock Bones
AG
scientists are starting to push the idea that the dinosaurs were already on their way to extinction prior to the meteor strike. it just exacerbated the problem.

what exactly are we rambling on about in this thread?
SapperAg
AG
quote:
scientists are starting to push the idea that the dinosaurs were already on their way to extinction prior to the meteor strike. it just exacerbated the problem.

what exactly are we rambling on about in this thread?

Part of the problem with that theory is that there were a couple of previous points in the mid-Jurassic and early Cretaceous where Dinosaur diversity also dipped before recovering. It's hard to say if that was a permanent decline or just a bump in the evolutionary road. Certainly theropod Dinosaurs and birds were very diverse.
Star Wars Memes Only
https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/4fn8am/were_dinosaurs_already_dying_out_before_the/
amercer
AG
Amazing Moves
quote:
quote:
Good talk folks. Something happened, they went extinct, other stuff didn't. Don't ask more questions.

In the name of evolution, science, and big bang, to them be the glory, amen.
Cal State fired a scientist for finding soft tissue on triceratop bones a few years back.
Did he find reins on it too?
Post removed:
by user
PA24
AG
Trust me, I don't love you and I don't pray for your soul

I trust in the God Jehovah

Amazing Moves
This might cause some to pause...

http://www.proof-of-evolution.com/soft-tissues-in-triceratops-horn.html
Post removed:
by user
PA24
AG
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/07/24/scientist-alleges-csun-fired-him-for-discovery-of-soft-tissue-on-dinosaur-fossil/

They want us to believe these huge creatures are now birds...like doves, sparrows, hummingbirds, and crows I suppose.

OF course global warming by manmade stuff is now causing the world to get hot...LMAO
PacifistAg
AG
quote:

You better hope I am wrong, don't waste your time with prayer
Don't you claim to be a Christian?
Post removed:
by user
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
He's sowed spewed nothing but venom at me, while not knowing anything about me. He's the least Christian Christian I know
Well, at least he's edited his comment and you can now pray.
AggieRain
AG
quote:
He's sowed spewed nothing but venom at me, while not knowing anything about me. He's the least Christian Christian I know

Jealous of your JFF swan float...
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:

You would like our old good Friday prayers
Amazing Moves
He is a representative speaker for Creation Research Society. Check their membership qualifications Here.

quote:
Mark Armitage, M.S., biology presents "Helium Retention in Deep Core Zircons," a review of radiohalos in granite that CRS claims contains "startling evidence."
The startling evidence..

Polonium Halos

It's a short read.

If I was Cal St. U, Northridge... I'd probably want to go in a different direction too.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I remember when I went to a fundamentalist school, Ken Hamm came and visited and talked about sightings of large, dinosaur-like, creatures deep in the jungles of Africa. He said the descriptions fit those of dinosaurs perfectly.

In hindsight, I believe it was Hamm that said that. Could have been one of my teachers though.
Which school?

St. X?
Post removed:
by user
SapperAg
AG
quote:
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/07/24/scientist-alleges-csun-fired-him-for-discovery-of-soft-tissue-on-dinosaur-fossil/

They want us to believe these huge creatures are now birds...like doves, sparrows, hummingbirds, and crows I suppose.

OF course global warming by manmade stuff is now causing the world to get hot...LMAO

It's hilarious because scientists had already found preserved evidence of collagen on other Dinosaurs, a T. Rex and a type of Hadrosaur, I believe. The preservation of that material is not controversial, if the animal is buried in the right conditions then iron in the body can preserve small pieces of soft tissue.
The idea that they fired him for an important find is ludicrous.
As for your bit about birds evolving from Dinosaurs, it's equally hilarious how uninformed you are about these animals. They ranged in size from Microraptor to Titanosaurus, and the first Dinosaurs were a bit bigger than chickens. We have preserved feather imprints for Dinosaurs like Velociraptor and Yutyrannus. Even Psittacosaurus, a ceratopsian. Suggesting all Dinosaurs had a few protofeathers.
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which school?

St. X?

Nope. It was an extremely small school, fed primarily by the church that ran it. There were 10 in my class.
Wade_3
AG
quote:

So dumb,

Of course they didn't just turn into birds. First, they got tired of being productive members of dinosaur society and got lazy. After that, their legs shrank and their arms got kind of nubby looking (because they were lazy).

THEN they turned into different birds, which are all the same because there are no bird species.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
quote:

So dumb,

Of course they didn't just turn into birds. First, they got tired of being productive members of dinosaur society and got lazy. After that, their legs shrank and their arms got kind of nubby looking (because they were lazy).

THEN they turned into different birds, which are all the same because there are no bird species.

What you did there, I see it.
Frok
AG
quote:
quote:

It's hilarious because scientists had already found preserved evidence of collagen on other Dinosaurs, a T. Rex and a type of Hadrosaur, I believe. The preservation of that material is not controversial, if the animal is buried in the right conditions then iron in the body can preserve small pieces of soft tissue.
As for your bit about birds evolving from Dinosaurs, it's equally hilarious how uninformed you are about these animals. They ranged in size from Microraptor to Titanosaurus, and the first Dinosaurs were a bit bigger than chickens. We have preserved feather imprints for Dinosaurs like Velociraptor and Yutyrannus. Even Psittacosaurus, a ceratopsian. Suggesting all Dinosaurs had a few protofeathers.

Jurassic Park was a great book and movie.
SapperAg
AG
Fantastic book and movie. Though to be accurate, here's what the animals should look like:

Velociraptor (really Deinonychus):

Tyrannosaur:

Gallimimus:

And so on.
Wade_3
AG
Those literally look like something I would see if I were tripping ballz.
Martin Q. Blank
Those literally look like something I would see if a five year old boy came up with a totally cool new animal. I'm sure Sapper will tell me it's science though.
SapperAg
AG
quote:
Those literally look like something I would see if a five year old boy came up with a totally cool new animal.

Nothing new about them. That's what Paleontologists have uncovered in the last 20 years.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology
Citizen Reign
quote:
quote:

What's hilarious is people form opinions and stick to them based on idol thought. Like, nothing man does could possibly effect the earth. For some reason, they feel like because they put some thought into the subject, they're correct based on what seems logical to them. Their idol thought means more than thousands of trained scientist who have extensively researched hundreds of theories. Not to mention all of the overlapping proof from various specialized fields.

Some dinosaurs couldn't possibly be related to birds just because ... well, that doesn't sound right. Essentially, what they are saying is education is irrelevant. Let's all exist on gut feelings and ignore factual evidence. Let's completely ignore the accumulation of knowledge and believe everything an ancient book tells us. They're the same people that rationalize every illogical verse in the bible.

Gut feelings can be useful but mean nothing in terms of complex subject matter. You still have to prove that your gut is correct.

My gut tells me the bible is a work of fiction written as a moral compass for a growing population. Yes, I believe there is a higher power. But, I freely admit that I'm far too ignorant to have even the slightest comprehension as to who or what is responsible for our existence. Anyone claiming they know for sure s 100% FOS, ignorant, and arrogant as hell to boot.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
I think this would be a good place for MQB to start:

Martin Q. Blank
quote:
quote:
Those literally look like something I would see if a five year old boy came up with a totally cool new animal.
Nothing new about them. That's what Paleontologists have uncovered in the last 20 years.
The drawings or those creatures encapsulated in ice?
Martin Q. Blank

quote:
What's hilarious is people form opinions and stick to them based on idol thought. Like, nothing man does could possibly effect the earth. For some reason, they feel like because they put some thought into the subject, they're correct based on what seems logical to them. Their idol thought means more than thousands of trained scientist who have extensively researched hundreds of theories. Not to mention all of the overlapping proof from various specialized fields.

Some dinosaurs couldn't possibly be related to birds just because ... well, that doesn't sound right. Essentially, what they are saying is education is irrelevant. Let's all exist on gut feelings and ignore factual evidence. Let's completely ignore the accumulation of knowledge and believe everything an ancient book tells us. They're the same people that rationalize everyillogical verse in the bible.

Gut feelings can be useful but mean nothing in terms of complex subject matter. You still have to prove that your gut is correct.

My gut tells me the bible is a work of fiction written as a moral compass for a growing population. Yes, I believe there is a higher power. But, I freely admit that I'm far too ignorant to have even the slightest comprehension as to who or what is responsible for our existence. Anyone claiming they know for sure s 100% FOS, ignorant, and arrogant as hell to boot.
Thanks, I crossed out the relevant passages in your treatise then.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.