*** PRESUMED INNOCENT *** (Jake Gyllenhaal Apple TV+ Series)

24,367 Views | 277 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 20ag07
20ag07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Don't post spoilers on no spoiler threads. It's not rocket surgery.
Spoiler tags were used, and used appropriately.

The (in his mind) dictator of the Entertainment board, doesn't get to tell someone what they can post on threads behind spoiler tags, that exist for a reason.

I'm very sorry, TCTTS, that you don't know how to work technology, and because you could not do so effectively, learned the ending of one of the highest grossing movies of 19fkn90.
Rudyjax
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Don't post spoilers on no spoiler threads. It's not rocket surgery.
Spoiler tags were used, and used appropriately.

The (in his mind) dictator of the Entertainment board, doesn't get to tell someone what they can post on threads behind spoiler tags, that exist for a reason.

I'm very sorry, TCTTS, that you don't know how to work technology, and because you could not do so effectively, learned the ending of one of the highest grossing movies of 19fkn90.

I hate being spoiled too so you really need to think about putting spoilers on non spoiler thread even with tags.
20ag07
Quote:

I hate being spoiled too so you really need to think about putting spoilers on non spoiler thread even with tags.
It's not like I Redstone Lost'd this.

If you're that scared of seeing what happened (behind spoiler tags), in one of the highest grossing movies of 1990, and you can't navigate spoiler tags correctly, well then your answer is probably to stay away from message boards in general.
TCTTS
AG
I've already said, multiple times now, that the mistake was on me. So you can stop insinuating, for like fifth time now, that I'm some kind of idiot in that regard. Especially when I've already explained exactly how it happened.

What I still find ridiculous is that you wanted to start a conversation about it, on a thread where the majority of us had agreed, for weeks now, not to have that conversation. A conversation that could lead to other people accidentally spoiling things, seeing as that's happened countless times before on this site. Hence the reason we always have separate spoiler threads for adapted material. You of course say you're not responsible for those people, but I maintain that you being the one to start that conversation, on a spoiler-free thread, says otherwise.

All I know is that I don't think I've come across someone more antagonistically stubborn on this board, and that's saying something. It's not about defying my "rules" or me thinking I'm some message board dictator or whatever cliched nonsense you keep coming back with. You just seem like a genuinely spiteful and unfriendly person, which is even more surprising considering you're clearly on an island here.
Rudyjax
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

It's not like I Redstone Lost'd this.

If you're that scared of seeing what happened (behind spoiler tags), in one of the highest grossing movies of 1990, and you can't navigate spoiler tags correctly, well then your answer is probably to stay away from message boards in general.

Dude. No one cares what happened 34 years ago.
Redstone
AG
It's very important, a common courtesy, and essential to a continued and productive decorum to use and (spoiler tags) when discussing a film, television show, or book that others may not have consumed yet, but are eager to do so.
Redstone
AG
The tags are:
[ sp ]
And then
[ /sp ]
With no spacing
DannyDuberstein
AG
Like this

[ sp ] The daughter did it. [ /sp ]

Edit - wait, I must be missing something
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
I've now clicked on this thread at least 9 times thinking there was new discussion about the show.

My God. Move on children.
k20dub
AG
This thread sucks.
Redstone
AG
TNNCS and I have been allies for a little more than a year, since his OP of the alien thread here became one my primary threads.

I've come to appreciate his knowledge and integrity, despite our disagreements about religion. He posts in charity and a genuine curiosity.

Let's keep dialogue respectful.
Redstone
AG
Agreed and I provided the second Star.

We should all be able to participate so long as spoiler tags are utilized well.
BCG Disciple
AG
The wife and I binged the 7 episodes over the last week. Thought I'd check out this thread for series discussion.

I'm sorry I did.
gigemJTH12
AG
Aside from the bickering I can't believe how much complaining there is about the writing.

I am always so thankful I don't watch TV like so many "TV snobs".

This **** is entertaining as hell and I love it. One of the best shows I've watched in a long time. Can't wait for the finale!
LMCane
TCTTS said:

I asked multiple times that we not discuss spoilers in a thread *I* started for this show. I don't give a **** about spoiler tags. Like I said, just having the conversation, even behind spoiler tags, can lead to someone else accidentally ruining it for everyone else. It's obviously your prerogative to do whatever the hell you want, but the fact that you aren't showing even an ounce of remorse, while telling me to "calm down" in reaction to having the book's/movie's killer spoiled, after making it this far, is pretty ****ing ****ty.

when this thread first started I googled Presumed Innocent to grab a picture of Greta Scachi and right there it stated the ending of the movie !!

which of course I had forgotten in the intervening 30 years. so this entire time I know what is going to happen. so that sucks.

but it is still a VERY GOOD series.

would be excellent if less gore.

and with a different wife.
agracer
AG
Finally got to watch a few more episodes last night (5, 6 & 7). Since Ep 7 has been out for a week I believe it's OK to discuss and not spoil!

I don't recall the main character representing himself in the old movie or book, but maybe he did ? I also don't recall him taking the stand

Either way, there seems to be some completely out of place stuff regarding cases like this.

For example, they presented text messages that the defense team seemed to have no clue about? How is that OK ?

Same with the video of him beating the guy up. If they planned to use that, are they not supposed to be giving that to the defense team? The excuse was something about Sabich not being on the witness list so this last minute 'evidence' was OK. NFW the prosecution had zero plans to use that video evidence at some point in the trial. Hell, the guy he beat up was in the gallery and the judge acted like she didn't know about it either. The entire prosecution angle was he was prone to angry outbursts and violence. For sure that evidence, and the "choking' of the medical examiner would be presented as evidence (why that ME stuff was not part of his questioning????).

Also, Sabich is a complete moron for representing himself. No sane person does that and while Sabich obviously has an enormous ego, he was already heavily involved in the case and could have let the defense assistant (Mya) take the lead while still being in control. Let her ask the questions.

I get the "it's Hollywood" angle, but goodness, keep it remotely believable. If this were a Godzilla movie, I wouldn't care, but it's supposed to be a serious crime thriller/drama show. It seems like the producers/writers are manufacturing drama for the sake of drama and not letting it come naturally. (IE the lead defense counsel Raymond collapsing was great, even though it was not part of the original movie IIRC).

I liked it for the most part at first, but it seems to have dissolved into a unbelievable mess with the last two episodes. I'll likely watch the last episode since I've already come this far.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They need to have a cam follow him into the bathroom where he mutters, "What have you done?…. Killed them all, of course."
20ag07
Oh goodness, you're not allowed to have a literal sense of how things get done, and explain how that's bad writing, or you'll get excoriated around here, apparently.

It was all ridiculous. Fun, but not well written.
Rudyjax
AG
Those are great points.

At this point, I hope he does get convicted.

I remember rooting for the protagonist is the original book and movie.

Why did they make him so unlikeable?
20ag07
David E Kelley, famously, pushed an unlikeable character, that he wrote, into her death in an empty elevator shaft in LA Law.

Was that fun? Absolutely. Was it particularly well written? Maybe not.

Was the writing "good" here, vs "fun"- those can be 2 totally separate territories.

Who the hell knows what happens here. I don't think he can bring it home in 45 minutes in a satisfying way.

gigemJTH12
AG
Unpopular opinion here…I don't really find Rusty that unlikable at all. The adultry makes him garbage for sure and I didn't like how he reacted when the wife said she kissed the bartender.

But episode in episode out I don't find him nearly as unlikable as everything I read.

aTmAg
AG
I'm not even in this thread and everybody seems pissed off.

Maybe I'm NOT the common denominator?!?
Rudyjax
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Unpopular opinion here…I don't really find Rusty that unlikable at all. The adultry makes him garbage for sure and I didn't like how he reacted when the wife said she kissed the bartender.

But episode in episode out I don't find him nearly as unlikable as everything I read.

You mean how he cheated on his wife, violently grabbed his wife, beat the **** out of that guy, attacked the coroner, has a bully/bullied relationship with his coworkers, other than that he's an ok guy?
20ag07
It makes you like ONE of the people that probably didn't kill Carolyn Pohlemas.
20ag07
Quote:

Unpopular opinion here…I don't really find Rusty that unlikable at all
Let's see here:

-He had an affair.
-His wife caught him.
-They attempted to mend said affair (good on them).
-Then he went back to said affair after that.
-Then Carolyn didn't give him what he wanted. And he, admittedly, in his own words, sent her a stalking level of messages.
-This reached a level even his own teenager was aware enough to drive by her house.
-Pretty much every one at his office hated him except for like 3 people, and he initiated physically violent reactions with what, at least 3 of them?

Like Jake Gyllenhall looks great (as did Harrison Ford), but outside of that, how can you find an ounce of likability in him? (Except for that knowing he probably didn't do it, and all of the extremeness was just an act of passion)?
gigemJTH12
AG
I know he's a POS I just don't find him unlikable as a person in his everyday life.
Rudyjax
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I know he's a POS I just don't find him unlikable as a person in his everyday life.

So you like PoS? Got it.
20ag07
Quote:

Lol, which part of his every day life?

-The one where he's spending a ton of time with his secret lover?
-The one where he's assaulting/fighting with almost all of his colleagues?
-Or the one where he takes over his own defense, which is absolutely idiotic?

That pretty much his everyday life.

Jake Gyllenhaal is charming. And his character may have been working with a bunch of aholes, married to a wife he clearly was no longer in love with, and had some mental issues.

But that doesn't make one single thing we've been shown less than likeable, other than that it wasn't as bad as how unlikeable the person he was in the scene with was.

(That's the bad writing, but people don't like when I say that.)
Leto Agtreides II
AG
Rudyjax said:

gigemJTH12 said:

You mean how he cheated on his wife, violently grabbed his wife, beat the **** out of that guy, attacked the coroner, has a bully/bullied relationship with his coworkers, other than that he's an ok guy?
I also strongly dislike him but the guy that came to his house absolutely deserved an ass beating
BMX Bandit
Quote:

BECAUSE I ASKED MULTIPLE TIMES NOT TO POST *ANY* SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD.

And as the author of this thread, I feel like I have some say in that regard.
next level hubris right here. well done.

spoiler tags exist for a reason. 20ag07 did nothing wrong. get over yourself an inability to work a mouse
BMX Bandit
Sabich and the entire office would never have been on this case from the get go. enormous conflict of interest. it would have been handled by another county or the state.

the whole thing is unrealistic. very few legal shows are realistic and there is a reason for that. not nearly as entertaining.
gigemJTH12
AG
Rudyjax said:

gigemJTH12 said:

So you like PoS? Got it.
you are a true hero
20ag07
Quote:

I remember rooting for the protagonist is the original book and movie.

Why did they make him so unlikeable?
Also, this is a spoiler, and you do not even bother using spoiler tags, so you should be condemned to hell like I was.
aTmAg
AG
20ag07 said:

It makes you like ONE of the people that probably didn't kill Carolyn Pohlemas.
"Probably"
Rudyjax
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Rudyjax said:

gigemJTH12 said:

So you like PoS? Got it.
you are a true hero

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.