*** PRESUMED INNOCENT *** (Jake Gyllenhaal Apple TV+ Series)

24,007 Views | 277 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by 20ag07
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The first two episodes debuted tonight, and while I haven't seen them myself yet, reviews are so good for the show as a whole that I figured I'd get a thread going. To be clear, these aren't the over-the-top, "OMG! Jake Gyllenhaal is transcendent in the best show in years!" type reactions either. Rather, I keep seeing reaction after reaction saying this is simply a damn good and addictive legal thriller, one that, yes, is based on the same novel, by Scott Turow, that the 1990 Harrison Ford version was based on.

Speaking of...

*** PLEASE NO BOOK OR MOVIE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD ***

Personally, I haven't read or seen either, and I'd love to keep things fresh, as I'm sure others would as well.

Anyway, I'm going to try and watch at least the first episode later tonight, but would love to hear anyone else's thoughts as well...

Presumed Innocent
Limited Series (8 Episodes)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17677860/
June 12, 2024
Apple TV+

rhutton125
AG
Hell yeah
concac
AG
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3292425/?ref_=tt_cl_t_12

Actress on the show, Virginia Kull...her brother posts on here.

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3432672/replies/66596176
TCTTS
AG
Oh, nice. That's awesome.
concac
AG
Not sure if I want to watch this since I just remembered the plot and outcome of the movie.
OKCAG02
AG
First episode was good I thought
TCTTS
AG
Now THAT is how you do a pilot.

Easily one of the best I've seen in a while.

Economical and to-the-point, with a great setup, perfect cliffhanger, and compelling cast, each with their own, competing angles. To that end, I love the Gyllenhaal/Sarsgaard rivalry, especially considering they're brothers-in-law in real life (Peter is married to Jake's sister, Maggie).

Man, that was good.

Looking forward to knocking out episode two tomorrow, right after the Mavs beat the Celtics.
TCTTS
AG
Unemployed said:

Not sure if I want to watch this since I just remembered the plot and outcome of the movie.

Speaking of...

*** PLEASE NO BOOK OR MOVIE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD ***

Personally, I haven't read or seen either, and I'd love to keep things fresh, as I'm sure others would as well. I know there's apparently a big twist coming, and I've seen speculation that the show may either go a different direction, or put a twist on the twist, just to keep this iteration different.

Either way, please keep any of that talk out of this thread.

Thanks!
TCTTS
AG
Just added a warning to the OP as well.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I saw this previewed a few nights ago, but honestly, it didn't look that similar to the source material. I did read that novel 30 years ago, and it's been about that long since I saw the Harrison Ford movie of it. In that, there is a big twist (that really isn't that hard to see coming).
rhutton125
AG
****in hell man. This show is my worst nightmare.

Off to a good start though. Love the DA, only other thing I saw him in is the Night Of and he was great in that too.
Prosperdick
AG
To this day I still hate Regis Philbin as I wasn't even watching his stupid morning show but it happened to be on and he blurts out who the killer was and I hadn't seen it yet and I'm like "thanks a**hole, I'm not going to be able to enjoy this movie now that you've ruined it."

It's a GREAT movie but even better if you don't know who the killer is...******* Regis.
astros4545
AG
In
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

Now THAT is how you do a pilot.

Easily one of the best I've seen in a while.

Economical and to-the-point, with a great setup, perfect cliffhanger, and compelling cast, each with their own, competing angles. To that end, I love the Gyllenhaal/Sarsgaard rivalry, especially considering they're brothers-in-law in real life (Peter is married to Jake's sister, Maggie).

Man, that was good.

Looking forward to knocking out episode two tomorrow, right after the Mavs beat the Celtics.

So I clearly blew that call, just like the Mavs did every opportunity they had to put the game away.

That said, I just finished the second episode and holy hell is this an incredible show so far. One of the few where I'm now annoyed I have to wait a week for the next episode, when I'm usually content with week-to-week releases. Regardless, it's also one I'll be recommending to everyone I know.

Cannot wait to watch the rest of the season unfold.
LMCane
1990 Presumed Innocent
Greta Scachi

concac
AG
I watched the first episode last night and I thought it was great. I think there will be different twists and turns that will make the show enjoyable even if you've read the book or watched the movie.

I find it weird to see Jake's character with teenage kids. I still picture him as Donnie Darko.
Ervin Burrell
AG
rhutton125 said:

****in hell man. This show is my worst nightmare.

Off to a good start though. Love the DA, only other thing I saw him in is the Night Of and he was great in that too.

Bill Camp, one of my favorite character actors. Was the janitor who taught the girl chess in Queen's Gambit.

Just finished first episode-enjoyed it, kinda has Night Of vibes. Let's hope it finishes stronger than that show did.
Diggity
AG
I'm definitely liking it so far, but almost in spite of some of the casting choices.

I can't remember the book character that well, but JG's hothead approach is a bit over the top. I also think they needed a better looking prosecutor for him to lose his mind over (or at least some plausible establishment for why).

I do like most of the other characters and will keep watching, just though those 2 were a bit weak so far.
20ag07
First 2 were great. I'm too used to binge watching to wait week to week. The perfect "I'm just gonna do one more then go to bed…followed by guess I'm going to 3AM now 45 mins later."
ILAggie04
AG
This was an interesting one to film because it was during the writers strike and Jake had to take on much of that role as well. Set was also hard to get on because of the writers picketing in front. I look forward to watching it. Bill Camp is great too. Virginia likes working with him. She did Looming Tower (Hulu) with him too.
PatAg
AG
Great first 2 episodes
LMCane
Jake did a very good job acting- but he has undermined himself to a certain extent by being the most buff and hot guy all the time

he does not seem at all to be the father of two high schoolers and a district attorney.

one keeps thinking "wow, Jake Gyllenhaal has two grown kids and went to law school!"

not a fan of the bone skinny wife.

Brian Dennehy was far superior to this DA.

I want to go back and rewatch the 1992 version, but that one so far is better.
LMCane
why do streaming services only release ONE show a week?!

I don't understand this at all- are they worried about everyone suddenly cancelling their subscriptions the weekend after "Presumed Innocent" is released so they want to keep everyone subscribed an additional 7 weeks?

what's the point of streaming if we are right back waiting for Sopranos to come out every sunday like it's 1999?
20ag07
Quote:

I don't understand this at all- are they worried about everyone suddenly cancelling their subscriptions the weekend after "Presumed Innocent" is released so they want to keep everyone subscribed an additional 7 weeks?
Well a lot of us do actually do this.
LMCane
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Well a lot of us do actually do this.
is that the actual reason the streamers won't always release all episodes simultaneously?
Diggity
AG
they want their shows to be part of weekly conversations. That doesn't happen when you dump everything at once.
MASAXET
AG
LOVED the book, liked the movie, can't wait to finally start this show (regardless of whether it follows the book plot or changes things up)
PlanoAggie
AG
Personally, I like when they only release one episode a week. Drives my kids nuts because they "WANT IT NOW!!"

Characteristics like, "Patience" and "Enjoying the moment" have slowly disappeared from our society.
20ag07
Quote:

Characteristics like, "Patience" and "Enjoying the moment" have slowly disappeared from our society.
Reminder- TV shows don't drive the characteristics of our society.
PlanoAggie
AG
Do you have kids? Entertainment and social media definitely help drive society
LMCane
their dialogue strikes me as false. real human beings, even human beings in a District Attorney's office are not that unprofessional and frankly insane in public interactions.

It would be rare that they could rise to such high levels constantly letting their anger come out in public like that.
Rudyjax
AG
Watched the first episode. Meh. Hope it gets better. M

I read the book many many many years ago.
concac
AG
LMCane said:

their dialogue strikes me as false. real human beings, even human beings in a District Attorney's office are not that unprofessional and frankly insane in public interactions.

It would be rare that they could rise to such high levels constantly letting their anger come out in public like that.
This is a fictional show, not a documentary.
20ag07
Quote:

Do you have kids? Entertainment and social media definitely help drive society
I have 2.

And I can certainly say that there are 100+ larger issues that impact them than how many episodes AppleTV+ chooses to release at once of an 8 episode mini-series (that is WAY too racy for me to even be sitting down with watching with kids below college age anyway).
TCTTS
AG
LMCane said:

It sounds like the way you and I watch television could not be more different. All I care about is great writing and maximum drama, not hyper accuracy when it comes to how attorneys may or may not talk/behave in public. Also, I love weekly episode releases far more than the binge model, while things like how buff Gyllenhall is (even though they show him constantly swimming/working out to relieve stress) or how "bone skinny" his wife is don't even cross my mind.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.