*** PRESUMED INNOCENT *** (Jake Gyllenhaal Apple TV+ Series)

24,653 Views | 277 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 20ag07
torrid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With the episodes aired so far, is there any indication the series is going in a different direction from the book or the movie? Just asking in general, no details/spoilers.
Leto Agtreides II
AG
Agree to disagree I guess, I just think his acting is a little contrived
veryfuller
Staff
AG
TCTTS
AG

20ag07
Quote:

It has become the MOST WATCHED drama of all time on Apple TV+
This is zero percent surprising to me. Easiest concept in the world. I told you to option all of the things.

They really screwed up. Rusty's lawyer (Raul Julia) was the star of the movie, and he doesn't exist here. He's who you would build around (and they did the last time- when they did a miniseries and another TV movie.). You're not building a series around Bill Camp/Raymond Horgan.
20ag07
I totally forgot that Peter Saarsgard (Tommy Molto) is married to Jake Gyllenhall's sister.

So, while I don't think he did it, the "why is he here if he didn't?" makes a ton more sense.

(Why anyone would marry Maggie is a whole other thing. )
Rudyjax
AG
20ag07 said:

I totally forgot that Peter Saarsgard (Tommy Molto) is married to Jake Gyllenhall's sister.

So, while I don't think he did it, the "why is he here if he didn't?" makes a ton more sense.

(Why anyone would marry Maggie is a whole other thing. )

Peter Saarasgard and I were born in the same hospital (Scott AFB) 8 months apart. I wonder if our dads knew each other.
20ag07
Quote:

Peter Saarasgard and I were born in the same hospital (Scott AFB) 8 months apart. I wonder if our dads knew each other
Hopefully your first question would be "how did your friend you met in the hospital think that Katie Holmes and his daughter-in-law were the same thing?"
Rudyjax
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Peter Saarasgard and I were born in the same hospital (Scott AFB) 8 months apart. I wonder if our dads knew each other
Hopefully your first question would be "how did your friend you met in the hospital think that Katie Holmes and his daughter-in-law were the same thing?"

gigemJTH12
AG
I love this show.

no clue who did it.

I still think it may be the wife. I didnt trust how she was unwilling to act as needed in the courtroom.
20ag07
I don't think they can go there bc she's black. Not getting political. Obviously productions look different in 2024 than they did in 1988. But I don't think they'll make a scorned angry black wife married to a white man kill the white woman he was having an affair with.

Big Little Lies spoiler alert:
David E Kelley, who is writing this, wrote that show, and the killer was the Zoe Kravitz character, who was white in the book he adapted. However, she was made to look like a hero for doing it. Pohlemas is not getting a "she deserved to be killed" edit.
Petrino1
Rudyjax said:

Leto Agtreides II said:

20ag07 said:

"Edit" is how a character is portrayed.

We were NOT supposed to like Della Guardia in the first 3 episodes.

They flipped him over the last 3 to be maybe the most reasonable person left on the series. That's the "edit".

We were supposed to like Rusty in the first few, but they have made him completely unredeemable. That's "edit".
gotcha. I know the character was supposed to be unlikeable but I still really don't like the acting and voice he chose to use
I think it's great acting. The actor sounds nothing like that in life. He's changed his entire demeanor as well.

You may not like his choice, but it makes him unlikeable, which is the point.
I thought this was a cool read for how ***benle came up with the voice and demeanor for Della Guardia. He modeled it after the bad guy EPA inspector from the original Ghostbusters movie lol.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/why-yes-presumed-innocent-nico-195543081.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAA4iws6hD8tjZM68DK4R1OEBJOYOfJeUSJUmHIUS89RCtP35ACZ2QGGvTmWZdxxuR98LxCJHtrIc4rWimOK24GozQIQnx4Vm49et_hk4AtRZR00Lz1MkR_E6zcDyyx_RnCNgjRwGJcudx--ygXalIMQYKOUHclSwUuyZOCiRy0ng
Sazerac
AG
Had no idea he was British
Marsh
AG
I haven't read the book or seen the movie. That said, it is hard to make predictions in a show that already had a movie done based on the original book... If you are right, you clearly just read the book or watched the movie.

Regardless, I think this is a classic mystery misdirect where all of the main characters are "suspects" but it turns out to be a peripheral character. I think Jake and the prosecutor are too obvious as the killer. Same with the guy in prison and the other guy who had his semen found in the previously dead prostitute. Jake's son seems to be a misdirect. The murder victims son seems like the weirdo they want you to believe may have done it (but is just a weirdo). I think the wife could be the killer but I don't think there has been enough set up at this point.

If it is a classic misdirect, I think the murderer could be the Asian doctor.

Verified hot head who seemed to hate every attorney he ran into.

The murdered lady told her son that someone had been bothering her at work the last two weeks (an obvious misdirect to Jake gyl or the prosecutor).

Murderer had to have inside knowledge of the previous murder (tied up prostitute).

All the delays on the science (like fingertip analysis) could have been to make sure Jake would look worse (like he was the reason the evidence was being delayed, wheras the Dr was the actual reason for the delay).

The crime scene was meticulously clean. As if the one cleaning up the mess knew exactly what could give him away at a crime scene.

The doctor has appeared in just enough episodes for the viewer to know him but maybe not immediately identify as a suspect.

The other way I think they could take this show is that they just want to ask the question of, how much evidence do you need to make the conviction on Jake? No murder weapon or directly implicating evidence. However, there are no other suspects and no one with explicit motives other than Jake.
Diggity
AG
Marsh said:

I haven't read the book or seen the movie. That said, it is hard to make predictions in a show that already had a movie done based on the original book... If you are right, you clearly just read the book or watched the movie.

Regardless, I think this is a classic mystery misdirect where all of the main characters are "suspects" but it turns out to be a peripheral character. I think Jake and the prosecutor are too obvious as the killer. Same with the guy in prison and the other guy who had his semen found in the previously dead prostitute. Jake's son seems to be a misdirect. The murder victims son seems like the weirdo they want you to believe may have done it (but is just a weirdo). I think the wife could be the killer but I don't think there has been enough set up at this point.

The murdered lady told her son that someone had been bothering her at work the last two weeks (an obvious misdirect to Jake gyl or the prosecutor).

Murderer had to have inside knowledge of the previous murder (tied up prostitute).

All the delays on the science (like fingertip analysis) could have been to make sure Jake would look worse (like he was the reason the evidence was being delayed, wheras the Dr was the actual reason for the delay).

The crime scene was meticulously clean. As if the one cleaning up the mess knew exactly what could give him away at a crime scene.

The doctor has appeared in just enough episodes for the viewer to know him but maybe not immediately identify as a suspect.

The other way I think they could take this show is that they just want to ask the question of, how much evidence do you need to make the conviction on Jake? No murder weapon or directly implicating evidence. However, there are no other suspects and no one with explicit motives other than Jake.

This is one of the weakest plot points to me (unless the kid is lying, which is totally possible).

The mom wants nothing to do with the kid, but decides to relay to him that she feels unsafe with a man at work? This isn't something that would ever happen.
Rudyjax
AG
Sir. I have read the book and seen the movie but have no clue. This was 30 years ago.
20ag07
There's going to be a fairly interesting discourse when this is all over.

(I have no idea what happens, based on the source material).
TCTTS
AG
As a non-book-reader/non-movie-watcher, with less than half an hour until the penultimate episode, and thus the possibility of the big reveal/twist being revealed tonight, heading into next week's finale, my two final guesses...

1) Seeing as he's damn near unredeemable at this point, the killer has been Rusty this whole time.

- or -

2) As someone said earlier, the killer is either a peripheral character (i.e. not one of the primary cast) or someone completely out of the blue we haven't seen yet.

I realize both are relatively safe bets, so I guess what I'm saying is the killer is NOT...

- Barbara (Rusty's wife)
- Jaden (Rusty's daughter)
- Kyle (Rusty's son)
- Raymond
- Lorraine (Raymon's wife)
- Tommy
- Nico
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of, up until, like, an episodes or two ago I legit thought Tommy and Nico were a couple. For whatever reason, I believed, for at least half the season, that they were a progressive, bickering, high-powered work couple.
k20dub
AG
Marsh said:

Dammit this is good. That's probably it.
20ag07
Quote:

Lorraine (Raymon's wife)
It's gotta be this.

She's just there too much.
20ag07
Episode 7 is gonna be all Tommy Molto. Which is how we'll know he didn't do it.

But it's going this all the way.
TCTTS
AG
I'm sorry, but this would be so incredibly unsatisfying. It also makes zero sense to me.

The actress who plays her is Bill Camp's wife in real life. They're not only playing a married couple, they are a married couple, and my guess is that might have something to do with it.

That said, Barbara needs a friend character/someone in her corner, outside of her therapist and her bartender hookup. So it makes perfect sense to pair her with Raymond's wife. In that sense, Lorraine hasn't felt out of place or there too much at all, IMO.
20ag07
Quote:

I'm sorry, but this would be so incredibly unsatisfying. It also makes zero sense to me.
Call me a skeptic, but I'm not expecting to be satisfied here (and I quite like the concept of the show).
Mikeyshooter
AG
At this point, I'm not sure what would even be a satisfying ending. Tommy Molto would be interesting I guess. Maybe the crazy ME. And maybe the guy whose semen was found at the other murder. Anyone else would be terrible.

20ag07
I absolutely hated Ep7. And I do want to like this show. I really do.

But it was all so so so so bad.

Rusty representing himself? Just no.

Tommy Molto as the penultimate red herring? (I've been saying you could see that coming from miles away, at exactly the time it did).

Lorraine continues to just be there (she did it).

I have no idea what happens. None. I'm also not sure at all why Apple dropped a S2 announcement when they did.
Diggity
AG
I thought it was kind of fun.
PatAg
AG
20ag07 said:

Tommy Molto as the penultimate red herring? (I've been saying you could see that coming from miles away, at exactly the time it did).

I have no idea what happens. None. I'm also not sure at all why Apple dropped a S2 announcement when they did.
Everyone is allowed their own opinions but you are clearly in the minority on this show.
Season 2 also says it will be a new case, which seems like a pretty logical thing to attempt given the success and popularity of this season.
GreasenUSA
AG
Well I gotta say I was on the edge of my seat each of the last 2 episodes.

Great recovery from the dip 3 weeks ago.
20ag07
Quote:

Everyone is allowed their own opinions but you are clearly in the minority on this show.
Season 2 also says it will be a new case, which seems like a pretty logical thing to attempt given the success and popularity of this season.
Discourse is great. I love it.

I'm not sure we know what S2 will be. I certainly don't have any idea about who you build it around. And they've said nothing.

If you really wanted to go into history, a TV movie was made where Rusty is a judge, later, somehow, charged, for killing his wife.

I never thought Rusty did it. I just don't see how you bring this show back without Gyllenhaal. That's gonna take some hoop jumping in the last 45 minutes.
20ag07
Nobody outside of a tight circle has seen the finale.

They sent 7 of 8 out to critics. That's a lot. Normally it's 3-4 eps in this space.

-Tommy Molto didn't do it. (Obviously now).
-Rusty didn't do it. (Mostly obviously always).
-The wife, or any of the kids, including Carolyn's, is too easy.

-Della Guardia is now getting *too much* of a good guy edit. Too much to not be suspicious. (But I think that's who you build S2 around in Gyllenhaal is out)
-Lorraine is still around getting too much airtime.
PatAg
AG
I would just suggest an entirely new cast of characters unrelated to this one.
Tell another legal drama, cast great actors again.
TCTTS
AG
20ag07 said:

Eh, I still can't get enough of it.

Yes, the drama is beyond soapy and over-the-top at this point.

Yes, it was ridiculous how forced the whole Raymond thing was, having him go down like that, only for a doctor, not even five minutes into the episode, be like, "He's actually better than ever now!" All so a situation could be contrived to get Rusty to represent himself and on the stand, with both Raymond and Mya somehow back at his side by episode's end. They needed at least two episodes to even remotely pull that off, so to do it one was pretty ridiculous.

Despite both of those things, though, it's addictive as hell, and pretty damn fun in the process.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

20ag07 said:

Eh, I still can't get enough of it.

Yes, the drama is beyond soapy and over-the-top at this point.

Yes, it was ridiculous how forced the whole Raymond thing was, having him go down like that, only for a doctor, not even five minutes into the episode, be like, "He's actually better than ever now!" All so a situation could be contrived to get Rusty to represent himself and on the stand, with both Raymond and Mya somehow back at his side by episode's end. They needed at least two episodes to even remotely pull that off, so to do it one was pretty ridiculous.

Despite both of those things, though, it's addictive as hell, and pretty damn fun in the process.
I feel like we all love legal dramas... but we dont want them to be TOO accurate to real life either.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

I would just suggest an entirely new cast of characters unrelated to this one.
Tell another legal drama, cast great actors again.

This is almost assuredly what they're going to do. "New case," as Apple's official announcement put it = new cast. Yes, I think a couple of characters will likely bleed over, serving as connective tissue, and it will likely take place in the same city (Chicago)/court system. Otherwise, they'll cast a new, big-name lead or two each season, almost True Detective style, maybe even eventually expanding to different cities, and go from there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.