Trouble in the House of Mouse?

20,783 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by maroon barchetta
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife was pulling me and the boy recently on which services we are using the most. I told her she could dump all of them and I'd be fine with it.

If something good comes up we can sign up again.
agracer
AG
maroon barchetta said:

We called the theater and listened to a recording of what movies were playing and at what times.

We also called Time & Temperature
agracer
AG
AustinAg2K said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Would it be so terrible for all the streaming services to just merge into one thing with a Google-esque search engine that you use to find what you want and watch it?

I'm sure that's naive on me on about 300 levels with anti-trust and monopoly stuff

It's probably just me being an old man, but a lot of times I feel like there's to much content out there. Some nights I spend 20 minutes just scrolling through stuff only to give up and not watch anything. It sounds stupid, but sometimes I wish I had less choices.
With more choices comes more dillution.

Before cable TV, there were 3 main channels and a few locals. Every write/producer/director/actor was trying their best to get on those limited number of channels. Mostly, only the best made it to the top.

Now, with 200 channels available, there's a lot of crap to filter thru to get to the good stuff.

Honestly, I read this board occasionally for suggestions on shows to watch. Not that I like all of them, but most of them I can get into and will watch (Fallout being the most recent). I've almost never found a new show or movie just searching the streaming services. Either I read about it here, or someone at work mentions it.
CheeseSndwch
There's probably an app for this but I recently began putting together a spreadsheet to evaluate all of the streaming services I'm currently subscribed to, what I actually watch on them regularly, and the monthly/annual cost. My goal is to rotate between streaming service every quarter and avoid being subscribed to everything all at once.

Disney+ didn't make the most recent cut but I plan on resubscribing for Season 2 of Andor.
Redstone
AG
We have:
Netflix (no ads)
Disney+
Hulu (no ads)
Prime Video
Peacock (ads)
via 2 Fire tvs (Amazon) and 2 phones (smart)
Quad Dog
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

There's probably an app for this but I recently began putting together a spreadsheet to evaluate all of the streaming services I'm currently subscribed to, what I actually watch on them regularly, and the monthly/annual cost. My goal is to rotate between streaming service every quarter and avoid being subscribed to everything all at once.

Disney+ didn't make the most recent cut but I plan on resubscribing for Season 2 of Andor.
Still surprised there isn't some streaming curating service out there yet. Tracks what you watch, has an algorithm to predict and find new shows you'll like. When a new season or premier of a show you like, or suggested show, starts it will auto(or manual by choice) subscribe you to the service and remind you the episode has aired. Then when the season is complete auto cancel the service. Prime and Xfinity almost do this now, but no one has nailed it yet.
agracer
AG
Quad Dog said:

CheeseSndwch said:

Still surprised there isn't some streaming curating service out there yet. Tracks what you watch, has an algorithm to predict and find new shows you'll like. When a new season or premier of a show you like, or suggested show, starts it will auto(or manual by choice) subscribe you to the service and remind you the episode has aired. Then when the season is complete auto cancel the service. Prime and Xfinity almost do this now, but no one has nailed it yet.
pretty sure Netflix and Prime both do this already.
Quad Dog
AG
Netflix won't subscribe you to other services like Max or Apple+. Prime does some of those services, but it isn't as automated and curated as it could be.
Fenrir
Quad Dog said:

Netflix won't subscribe you to other services like Max or Apple+. Prime does some of those services, but it isn't as automated and curated as it could be.
It's also not a true subscription to the other service. You won't have a login to it and everything runs through the Prime Video app. This could be a positive (less juggling of logins and payment info in one consolidated place) if it wasn't for Prime Video being probably the worst of all the major streaming services in terms of stream quality, user functionality and I've also run into issues where they have episodes misnamed, out of order, etc.

Hulu used to let you subscribe to other services through them. It worked better than Prime when I tried it but not sure if they still do it or if so how many services are offered.
AustinAg2K
You'll never see a true, universal recommendation because Netflix does not share their data with anyone. There are apps where you can go mark that you liked a show after watching it, but the app can't get the data directly from Netflix.
aggiephoenix02
Disney has ruined my childhood favorites…
The Porkchop Express
aggiephoenix02 said:

Disney has ruined my childhood favorites…
How?
aggiephoenix02
Turning it into woke garbage. Duh. Are you trolling me? Flagged for trolling…
double aught
AG
This thread is surprisingly good. Well done E board.
Legal Custodian
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Turning it into woke garbage. Duh. Are you trolling me? Flagged for trolling…

What part of your childhood did they turn woke?
Redstone
AG
Gentleman (I assume, please correct if not):
Let's keep socio-political debates off the thread so as to focus on the analysis at hand.

Few value Diversity here as much as I do - but this is demonstrated for posters / lurkers, not necessarily explicitly stated. Iger has helped our 7 year old to learn about other cultures, and the inherent value of Representation. Let's just appreciate this.
aggiephoenix02
They acquired StarWars, comic books (Marvel), Indy, and then trashed those properties. There is probably more, but I don't won't to spend anymore time on obvious things you trolls already know…
Legal Custodian
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

They acquired StarWars, comic books (Marvel), Indy, and then trashed those properties. There is probably more, but I don't won't to spend anymore time on obvious things you (the troll), already know…

Oh so it wasn't your childhood, it was your adulthood. Gotcha. And agreed, we don't need to continue this convo
aggiephoenix02
I thought that's what you were getting at, I figured you were just acting like you're stupid, just pretending not to understand, just trolling…
Legal Custodian
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

I thought that's what you were getting at, I figured you were just acting like you're stupid, just pretending not to understand, just trolling…

I thought you were done. Just stop dude, you're ruining the thread.
YouBet
AG
AustinAg2K said:

You'll never see a true, universal recommendation because Netflix does not share their data with anyone. There are apps where you can go mark that you liked a show after watching it, but the app can't get the data directly from Netflix.

I don't see this happening. Loose analogy that most will not remember or even know about....when Microsoft had their own mobile OS they had a feature that essentially funneled all of your social media updates into one "inbox" on your phone. People that were into social media loved it because you only had one place to go to see all updates from any social media platform you were on.

Eventually it got killed because Facebook wanted their walled garden as did everyone else so they forced Microsoft to kill the feature. I don't see this playing out any other way.
aggiephoenix02
Legal Custodian said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

I thought you were done. Just stop dude, you're ruining the thread.
I never said they ruined my childhood, just my childhood favorites. Do you even understand what I'm saying?

Luke was the **** when I was a kid, and Disney turned him into a blue milk drinking weirdass hermit. Disney couldn't have destroyed those franchises and characters any worse if they had tried their hardest to ruin them.

But you're just gonna act like you don't understand aren't you? Lame
Redstone
AG
Would enjoy a Finn and Rose spinoff - adventure, romance, lot of potential backstory of Trooper to Resistance. Kennedy's team is capable of emotion-driven human interest stories.
maroon barchetta
You overtrolled.
TCTTS
AG
Once again, it was GEORGE LUCAS' idea to make Luke a "weirdass hermit."

Once again, Disney was merely honoring his wishes.
The Porkchop Express
Just move on, you know why those 2 are here.
aggiephoenix02
I'm here to express my displeasure with Disney. **** on Disney…
Diggity
AG
I get your point, but they don't need to break even in one month.
Legal Custodian
AG
Diggity said:

I get your point, but they don't need to break even in one month.

Im kinda embarrassed it took me this long to realize my math was off.
dreyOO
Learned some new things on this thread. Do you know why Lucas was so locked in on Kennedy? That's a weird one for me.
AgLiving06
As a historic target audience of the Mouse (2 kids under 10). The problem Disney with imo, is they've lost the trust of the core audience. I don't mean putting out bad movies. Those happen, but it's the content itself that is questionable or inappropriate for kids. And that's the biggest red flag.

For example, Spidey and his Amazing Friends. Very younger kid show. It has a person name Jerry who apparently has "They/Them" pronouns. Link

Is that acceptable for kids that young? No.
Do you think a younger kid has any clue or concept of this? No.

My kids no longer get to watch that show.

it means now we have to screen all the content which means watching less of their content because of the extra effort.

Same for Inside/Out 2. We liked the first one. The kids liked it. We are talking about this being our oldest first theatre movie this summer. But there's hesitation because we don't know what they are trying to sneak in. We can't consider taking them until we get a better idea of what is actually hidden in the film.

What Disney has to do, is something they certainly are unwilling or unable to do. Admit they've messed up and start to undo the damage they've done and earn people's trust back.
aggiephoenix02
Nah, you're just a troll! I can't hear you, LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!

/Entertainment Board regulars
TCTTS
AG
dreyOO said:

Learned some new things on this thread. Do you know why Lucas was so locked in on Kennedy? That's a weird one for me.

She produced...

- The Back to the Future Trilogy
- E.T.
- The Goonies
- Gremlins
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- The Jurassic Park Trilogy
- Lincoln
- Munich
- Seabiscuit
- Schindler's List
- Signs
- The Sixth Sense
- Twister
- War of the Worlds
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit

... along with dozens of other notable titles. In other words, she's one of the most successful/prolific producers of all time, and Spielberg's/Lucas' go-to producer for nearly three decades. While producing doesn't translate exactly to shepherding a massive franchise across film and television, it comes close. Most of all, though, Lucas simply trusted her, and had a great, 30-year relationship with her.
The Porkchop Express
Ultimately ,it just comes down to the parenting and for me at least, nobody is right and nobody is wrong, I'm not going to judge the way someone else parents their kids because I don't want somebody doing that to me.

Typically when my kids see something they don't understand, my wife give them a short, direct answer like "Some men marry other men" or "some women kiss other women - I think that was based on Robin having a crush on a girl in Stranger Things Season 4.

I can't think of any show we've watched on Disney that, at least in my POV or my wife's, is trying to force any sort of life choices on anyone. But we're both pretty easy going, so it might be that we just aren't interpreting it the same way as other people, who are steadfast that there shouldn't be same-sex kisses, or "They" characters. The only "they" character I've seen is Morph on X-Men 97, but I'm not sure I would have even realized that if I hadn't read about it online.

Most of the "woke" slang that often populates this board and others, I have never heard a single person say out loud in real life. I had never heard of a Mary Sue or anything like that until I saw it on TexAgs.

At the end of the day, I'd like to think my kids are emotionally intelligent enough and have been parented well enough so far, that nothing on a TV show is going to trick them into making some sort of lifestyle choice. I worry a lot more about what they hear/see at school 8 hours a day then the maybe 1 hour a week they watch something on Disney.

TCTTS
AG
AgLiving06 said:

As a historic target audience of the Mouse (2 kids under 10). The problem Disney with imo, is they've lost the trust of the core audience. I don't mean putting out bad movies. Those happen, but it's the content itself that is questionable or inappropriate for kids. And that's the biggest red flag.

For example, Spidey and his Amazing Friends. Very younger kid show. It has a person name Jerry who apparently has "They/Them" pronouns. Link

Is that acceptable for kids that young? No.
Do you think a younger kid has any clue or concept of this? No.

My kids no longer get to watch that show.

it means now we have to screen all the content which means watching less of their content because of the extra effort.

Same for Inside/Out 2. We liked the first one. The kids liked it. We are talking about this being our oldest first theatre movie this summer. But there's hesitation because we don't know what they are trying to sneak in. We can't consider taking them until we get a better idea of what is actually hidden in the film.

What Disney has to do, is something they certainly are unwilling or unable to do. Admit they've messed up and start to undo the damage they've done and earn people's trust back.

They've literally already done this. Iger has straight up said, on multiple occasions now, that he feels they went too far in that direction, and that "Our primary mission needs to be to entertain and then through our entertainment to continue to have a positive impact on the world. And I'm very serious about that. It should not be agenda-driven." And that's just one quote. This has been one of his big messages for months now.

All that said, if you're THAT concerned about your kids hearing a single character being referred to as "they/them," I don't know what to tell you. Seems like a ridiculous overreaction to me, but to each their own. All I know is that I have plenty of ultra-Christian family members who continue to take their kids to Disney movies and even they don't give a sh*t. The kids certainly don't care. It's only a big deal when the parents choose to make it a big deal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.