Trouble in the House of Mouse?

20,446 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by maroon barchetta
Fightin_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GrayMatter said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Genie+ has been a failure as well.
Wasn't the Genie+ a brain child of the last CEO?
At Disney this week and Genie + is a terrible customer experience even when you work it at its best.

Way too complicated. On its own it can run you ragged at a smaller park like animal kingdom. Add the terrible virtual lightning lane and it is a logistics disaster

We lost an hour waiting on Tron to open in Magic Kingdom after we rope dropped 7 dwarves and had a first call at Tron then they finally open Tron at 10:15, luckily we had just finished Jungle Cruise and had some time available

Between rope dropping and genie + we have gotten in all the rides we wanted but I can't help but feel I spent my vacation planning around Disney's needlessly complicated system instead of enjoying the parks.

I don't want to do that but can't stop myself cause I want to ride the rides. Screw this mess.
Ornithopter
AG
https://joelface.github.io/bg1/

Much better interface here
GrayMatter
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

GrayMatter said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Genie+ has been a failure as well.
Wasn't the Genie+ a brain child of the last CEO?
At Disney this week and Genie + is a terrible customer experience even when you work it at its best.

Way too complicated. On its own it can run you ragged at a smaller park like animal kingdom. Add the terrible virtual lightning lane and it is a logistics disaster

We lost an hour waiting on Tron to open in Magic Kingdom after we rope dropped 7 dwarves and had a first call at Tron then they finally open Tron at 10:15, luckily we had just finished Jungle Cruise and had some time available

Between rope dropping and genie + we have gotten in all the rides we wanted but I can't help but feel I spent my vacation planning around Disney's needlessly complicated system instead of enjoying the parks.

I don't want to do that but can't stop myself cause I want to ride the rides. Screw this mess.

It's a crapshoot that's for sure. I'm a former cast member, seasoned park guest and I still had issues when using Genie+.

I couldn't imagine being a first timer and trying to enjoy the park while trying to ride all the popular rides. I felt bad for people trying to get last minute restaurant reservations on New Years Eve.

We went this past December and it wasn't very much fun from a logistical standpoint. My family had a great time, but I was the one getting up at 7am everyday ensuring that we got our passes to ride whatever ride we wanted. The monkey wrench in all these plans is when a ride breaks down, then you really have to pick and choose what you want to ride.

There's a point where you reach where waiting 2 or even 1 hours+ isn't very much fun anymore regardless of how the ride is themed.

But there's two train of thoughts about this: on one hand, if you make it affordable, everyone wants a slice of that pie. If you make that slice of pie exclusively expensive, at the end of the day you're wondering whether the taste of that slice of pie is worth it.
gunan01
AG
Just bought another 1000 shares of $DIS. If I've learned anything in life…."be greedy when others are fearful"
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Thx that is a lot easier. Only have Hollywood left wished I had that for EPCOT or MK

Epcot we totally wasted the Genie + before we firgured it out. But that was Memorial Day and a Monday with extended hours so there were a lot of people.

Kind of found extended hours to be a waste because we rope dropped in the morning. Kinda firgured we would not get a lot of value out of it. It wasn't a deciding factor where we stayed anyway.

Might have avoided the parks on extended hours days and just rope dropped instead. Crowds were smaller at the non extended hours day parks
double aught
AG
gunan01 said:

Just bought another 1000 shares of $DIS. If I've learned anything in life…."be greedy when others are fearful"
You just bought $100k in Disney stock?
jokershady
AG
gunan01 said:

personally I'd have waited until after their august earnings report and all the Hulu value debate stuff was over…..

Course if you got that much to throw around then you might as well buy more if it drops another 10% and keep buying low
TXTransplant
Urban Ag said:

EclipseAg said:

If you look at Disney's decisions over the past few years, you can come up with multiple examples of how they have lost sight of the core consumer.

The elimination of Magical Express, for example -- the bus service that transported guests from the Orlando airport to their resort.

This.

Our kids are too old now (thank God) but we took them to Disney World at least six times from June of 2011 to Christmas 2022.

The Magical Express takes longer than getting an Uber and the many stops are kind of a pain. But getting on it and that ride is the peak of the anticipation build up for kiddos. Parents get 20-30 minutes or more to take a load off in an air conditioned bus while the kids can't wipe the smiles off their faces knowing they're finally there. Getting rid of that service shows too many at Disney were just out of touch with their customers.

After a flight with kids (which can be hell), deplaning with kids, bathroom breaks, baggage claim, etc, I looked forward to that bus.

The videos they played during the Magical Express ride advertising Adventures By Disney totally suckered me in to doing two of those trips. And if you think The parks are expensive, just take a look at ABD prices (they were significantly cheaper when we traveled with them).

I had never heard of it prior to the Magical Express, and they still don't advertise very much. I can't believe they passed on the opportunity to encourage people to spend more money with them.
WoMD
gunan01 said:

I so badly want to sell mine. Got close to breaking even when it went up to 120 recently, but good god what a clunker. I should've just sold it all for a nice profit when it had the run up a few years ago, but followed OAs advice on the business board and just sold enough to go net free (basically sell all but the profits, so you won't be out anything if it goes to 0). Couldve made a decent amount, but am left officially in the red with the current shares. Even though I know it's net free, I hate seeing the damn thing only go up 1 for every 2 it goes backwards.

Good luck with this choice. So many better options to put your money into that actually fits the line in your post. But hey, maybe you'll win big. Just probably won't be anytime soon.
AustinAg2K
gunan01 said:

There is no greater sign of a smart investor than someone who gets their stock tips from the Texags Entertainment Board.
maroon barchetta
AustinAg2K said:

gunan01 said:

There is no greater sign of a smart investor than someone who gets their stock tips from the Texags Entertainment Board.

He could be getting it from Skran on the GB
Noble07
AG
Quote:

Plus, it eliminated a "magical experience" for everyone, which is the antithesis of Disney's brand. Two years later, people still complain that they miss Magical Express.
Before covid they would send luggage tags for you to attach to the bags so you could just get off the plane an go get on the bus. Disney would get the bags and deliver them to your hotel room.

Sure, it costs a ton to go to WDW but that in itself provided a nice moat to keep you on Disney properties and would be an incredibly relaxing moment for parents in what can otherwise be a tough trip with little kids. The idea that replacing that with an uber (that you pay for) is net zero is pure insanity.
bluefire579
AG
AustinAg2K said:

gunan01 said:

Yeah, everyone knows you watch members of Congress for that
Cromagnum
AG
gunan01 said:

I could think of several better uses of $100k, but good luck!
maroon barchetta
Cromagnum said:

gunan01 said:

I could think of several better uses of $100k, but good luck!

H&B
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Noble07 said:

Quote:

Plus, it eliminated a "magical experience" for everyone, which is the antithesis of Disney's brand. Two years later, people still complain that they miss Magical Express.
Before covid they would send luggage tags for you to attach to the bags so you could just get off the plane an go get on the bus. Disney would get the bags and deliver them to your hotel room.

Sure, it costs a ton to go to WDW but that in itself provided a nice moat to keep you on Disney properties and would be an incredibly relaxing moment for parents in what can otherwise be a tough trip with little kids. The idea that replacing that with an uber (that you pay for) is net zero is pure insanity.
Definitely. We just got back today. If we had a bus we might have done that and been stuck in Disney the whole time. Wound up renting a car for maybe $100 more than an Uber for the 5 of us and all the luggage for a 9 day trip.

Definitely spent less at Disney by doing this because we ate off property multiple times and got groceries that we ate in our room a couple of times
The Porkchop Express
I'm sort of surprised Disney doesn't just open its own airport.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Logos Stick
AustinAg2K said:

gunan01 said:

LoL
Howdyagjk
Most customers really care about what platform their show is on they just want to watch what they like.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
This was the Queen we got at the story book Dining Event.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/wilderness-lodge-resort/artist-point/

Anyone notice something odd about them?

https://postimg.cc/v1BqsW4d

https://imgur.com/a/adB6ZFx

Fightin_Aggie
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

Fyi, the Queen is a guy

It was probably more obvious before I cropped us out. They Queen was like 6'2+
Sea Speed
AG
Santa was black when we went for mickeys Christmas party in 2022. It was weird.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Sea Speed said:

Santa was black when we went for mickeys Christmas party in 2022. It was weird.

Not the same as this is advertised as a meeting with her

Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho It's Off to Dinner We Go!
Meet Snow White, Dopey and Grumpy every evening while dining in a rustic setting, inspired by the Disney film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs!

Enter the Enchanted Forest to the sounds of delightful music that help bring a storybook fantasy to life.

And if you dare, meet The Queenand even pose for a photo with her!

Characters and entertainment are subject to change without notice.

I guess subject to change means they can through in drag anytime?
jokershady
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

Fyi, the Queen is a guy

yeah this was reported on with some youtube channels about 3 weeks ago....i was surprised....but then wasn't....

theres some anonymous negative feedback coming from disney staff on this as well....from i hear it stems from it being very difficult for tall female actors for them to have characters they can play and then losing that job to a man that's portraying a woman....

don't know if it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me
Fightin_Aggie
AG
jokershady said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

Fyi, the Queen is a guy

yeah this was reported on with some youtube channels about 3 weeks ago....i was surprised....but then wasn't....

theres some anonymous negative feedback coming from disney staff on this as well....from i hear it stems from it being very difficult for tall female actors for them to have characters they can play and then losing that job to a man that's portraying a woman....

don't know if it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me

Same here surprised me but not shocked. I would be fine with a shorter evil queen. Just put her in heels and make her somewhat taller than Snow White. She doesn't need to be 6'2"+. The interaction is more important than the height and they completely did away with any interaction with the Queen which was massively disappointing.

Especially when you remember this is a $300-$400 meal for a family of 4

Redstone
AG
The Acolyte is 100 years before the prequels - they could have had Yoda in this series representing the Jedi Council, giving the fans a familiar character, but the decision to cast Rebecca Henderson as Rwoh by Headland was excellent. She was great, an empowering example of Kennedy's vision.
aggiephoenix02
It's interesting you say things like this, because the vast majority see things completely opposite.

You should be getting paid by Disney for all your over the top takes on all things Disney…
maroon barchetta
aggiephoenix02 said:

It's interesting you say things like this, because the vast majority see things completely opposite.

You should be getting paid by Disney for all your over the top takes on all things Disney…

It's just part of his schtick.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.