Trouble in the House of Mouse?

27,219 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by A Net Full of Jello
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correct this sale happened back sometime in early/mid April and the news got released yesterday.

So perhaps part of their stock drop was due to that report coming out yesterday and being made public for the first time.

The vote to strike situation from what I'm seeing is still just that…a vote….because there still hasn't been a date set on when the workers will actually leave and not sure how it's supposed to work with them announcing it.

Apparently the last time this happened with Disney was in 1984 and it lasted 22 days.
maroon barchetta
Timely article.

https://local12.com/news/nation-world/disney-world-slashes-admission-prices-amid-mounting-customer-dissatisfaction-lake-buena-vista-discount-discounting-costs-hotel-stays-declining-park-attendance-cincinnati-packages-deals-hopper-pass-normal-rates-all-star-movies-resort-resort-vacation-vacay?-fbpost&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0JUcv77Qu4MaFkpKqHkoomSnbt68SQnaOvLbn77uWKnJZnepw3FXXOKmw_aem_VxiTuH7W4FzHSTswpe96rg
bonfarr
AG
I saw this firsthand a few months ago. The June crowds were lighter than what we used to see when we went during Thanksgiving break which was about 3/4 of a Summer crowd.
AustinAg2K
I suspect the drop in attendance has more to do with inflation than anything Disney is doing directly. I think vacations in general are down/more low key. I have a friend who has rentals off of 30A, and he says their numbers are way down this year. When it comes to feeding the family, or spending thousands on a vacation, it seems like most people are choosing feeding the family.
Belton Ag
AG
Turns out nickel-and-diming customers to death and providing a ****ty experience with a ****ty phone app isn't great for business.

I'd be willing to bet that I've dropped around $40K on park vacations in the last 12 years with my family of 4 and after the last 2 vacations with the Genie+ we're done until they blow up the whole system.
BowSowy
AG
Apparently Genie+ is going away soon (I believe starting next year)
thriller03
AG
Honest question with no ill intent meant...this also may be better suited for a different thread

What did people not like about Genie+? I didn't have experience prior to the Genie+ rollout with the old ways of fast passes, etc, but my wife and I took our son to DW in Dec 2021 and DL in June 2023. Both times, Genie+ seemed easy to use, efficient (relatively speaking, obviously not every ride was available when we wanted), and we were able to ride a lot of popular rides multiple times.

I saw a lot of folks online complaining (FB groups and the such) and I kind of chalked it up to not understanding the app. It seemed very straightforward to me. We were with friends in 2023 at DL, and the last night we were there my wife and her friend were back at the hotel with the kids and she was stacking rides for the other dad and me until closing time (all of the rides the kids weren't big enough for). Was it just having to use the app, or was it the day of? I will admit having to be buried in your phone during your park time wasn't ideal, but it never felt overbearing.
jokershady
AG
I'll go into my own personal issues with it as well as what I've heard from others and read online as they're different...

Personally, I didn't mind it all that much either...once I got the hang of it after a few days. The first few days I wasn't using it as efficiently as I could have been. But the biggest issue I had with it was I was on vacation...and I was having to wake up at 6-something in the morning to make sure I was ready to go right at 7 am to reserve certain rides and pay for my genie + stuff for the day and...yeah...it got annoying. But that was the majority of the issues I had.

The bigger problems I'm hearing from others is that you are constantly having to be on your phone and checking for rides and reserving things off and on throughout the day and a lot of people don't like that. Also, there are simply people that from a technology stand point aren't going to grasp things as well as others.....and while that isn't Disney's fault at all, when I first made it to a resort and I'm asking the staff about how to use it they are literally telling me, "Yeah it's confusing but after a few days it'll make sense." If people are paying buckoos of money for a vacation and not getting the full potential of it because the user interface takes a few days to get used to according to the staff that's supposed to be trained on it.....then it's not a good system.

But unfortunately I think a bigger issue is coming with what I've heard about how they are changing their lightening lane selections....basically if you're spending the most money to stay in a disney resort hotel you'll probably be fine....but if you're not spending the extra $$$$ and staying in an off resort hotel you're automatically last in line with what might be available to schedule ahead of time.....

really wish they would just nuke the whole thing i have no idea why it needs to be this complicated.....
thriller03
AG
That makes sense. The early times didn't impact us as were on property and going with the early entrance anyways, but I can see that being a bother if you aren't getting there at rope drop.

Being on the phone like we were was annoying at times, and with only one child it probably was easier for us (one of us could watch him while the other booked a ride). The technology limitation was something I assumed was a problem for some, we just didn't struggle there.

We just thought it was interesting to see how much dislike there was when we felt like it was an overall positive for us and definitely helped us maximize experiences.
ABATTBQ11
AG
So basically they're turning into Microsoft
AustinAg2K
I don't like that the Genie+ essentially is another way to nickel and dime you. It seems basically the same as the old fast pass model to me, but now you have to pay for it. I think when we went, it was another $25 or $30, which is on top of the already $150+ for the ticket. It's still easy cheaper than paying for Universal Studios fast pass system (which can cost an extra $200 per ticket), but it's still annoying, especially since the old fast pass system was free.

What I really don't like are the lightning lanes. When I was there, it was the only way you could ride Guardians and Tron. You had to be ready at 6 am (maybe it was 7) with your phone, and you had less than a minute before they sold out. After that, you had to buy a spot, and I think it was $89 a rider. I realize they are doing this to prevent from having an insanely long line (and make money), but I am of the opinion that if some kid loves Guardians of the Galaxy and wants to spend 7 hours waiting in line, they should be allowed to.

All of this could be just because I really liked the old fast pass system. It came with the price of admission, so everyone who bought a ticket got an equal chance at a short line, and if you didn't get a fast pass, but were willing to wait in line, that was always an option.
double aught
AG
We had a good experience with Genie + last year. But it was because of the reasons that are listed here. It costs money, and there is a barrier to entry.

I put in the effort before the trip to educate myself and learn how to best use the app. So we were at an advantage over people who didn't do that or didn't want to pay. We had fun filled days with hardly any long waits for rides, but it was only because I put in the effort.
EclipseAg
AG
thriller03 said:

I didn't have experience prior to the Genie+ rollout with the old ways of fast passes, etc,
This might be the key.

Keep in mind that WDW has guests who visit regularly and have for years.

The transition away from the Fast Pass system -- which was relatively easy to understand and manage -- to an app that costs money and takes a few days to learn is huge. Disney simply made it both more expensive and more complex to enjoy the parks.
The Collective
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

TopFlightReject said:

"meat and greet"

Definitely get why they kept this dude more than 20 feet away from Cinderella.
thriller03
AG
No doubt that helped, because even my wife mentioned the old system was better. That said, like double aught posted above, we also made sure to understand it and had a really committed idea of what we were willing to spend on rides to money-whip things a bit. (Easier to do with just 3 people total, but also important to us because our kiddo doesn't have siblings to entertain him during the long waits. Double edged sword there.)
The Collective
AG
WDW has always required a friggin continuing education course to plan & figure out. Seems the new system simply destroyed the built up knowledge of many.
ABATTBQ11
AG
double aught said:

I put in the effort before the trip to educate myself and learn how to best use the app. So we were at an advantage over people who didn't do that or didn't want to pay. We had fun filled days with hardly any long waits for rides, but it was only because I put in the effort.

The flipside of this is that you don't know what you don't know. Disney has historically had a sterling reputation for customer experience, and I would bet that, up until the last year or so, the vast majority of people didn't even know that they needed to put in this kind of effort upfront or that the experience has gone so far downhill. I went to DW as a kid with my aunt, uncle, and cousins, and none of this stuff existed. You just showed up and waited in line for things. If not for this thread, I still wouldn't know what a cluster it can be. Most people planning a vacation to Disney are probably expecting an experience in the parks like most other places, not a mad scramble with an app at 7am and upcharges everywhere.

And I can see how paying for a spot in line for rides can really detract from the experience for a lot of people. Tickets are already very expensive. Staying at a resort on property is even more expensive. Food and merch are astronomical. To have to pay even more for the attractions that should be included in the ticket just adds insult to injury, and I imagine a lot of parents being upset by the constant diming and quartering on a trip that is supposed to be magical.
Belton Ag
AG
I didn't mind the phone apps too much when they first started making appearances. When the virtual queue was introduced at Disneyland it was part of the Disneyland App and it was called MaxPass (I think). It replaced the paper fastpass kiosks. It was fairly simple and quick. There were restrictions on how many queues you could join, and rides would "sell out", but it was easy enough to navigate. It was a decent system that took about half a day to master.

Now, with the Genie+, if you look around inside the park you'll see half the people there on their phones trying to make reservations. If I'm going to be spending an average of $2,000 per day on a vacation, I don't want to waste 1 or 2 days trying to learn an app.

But the most grating part of it is the extra money you pay for the app, daily, and in the app itself paying to join certain queues.

The last time we went to Orlando, I used a separate credit card for all the Genie+ daily in-app purchases so I could easily track it, and in a 5 day trip we spent about $900.

jokershady
AG
sounds like the strike was adverted for now as there was an agreement between the two sides and there's supposed to be a vote on it this coming Monday. Assuming that gets a majority approval (no idea if its over 50% or needs to be more) then all should be good there.

Apparently if it's approved then it should be made public on what was in that agreement but for now it's not public info

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/disneyland-workers-reach-tentative-deal-company-averting-strike-rcna163427
A Net Full of Jello
AG
We had the same guy egged we went in January of this year. For all the people in social media who were insisting that the adults complaining needed to stop because the kids wouldn't realize it, my 13-year-old asked me while we were in line watching other guests intact with the queen of that was a man in the costume. Yes, people, the children can tell and it was pretty weird.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.