Trouble in the House of Mouse?

20,437 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by maroon barchetta
aggiephoenix02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a strange thing to say…
javajaws
AG
Redstone said:

Gentlemen, please, let's keep politics out of the thread.

You should write a comedy you certainly have a flair for it!
dreyOO
TCTTS said:

I only pushed back on the idea that the "agenda" was prominent, or deserved anywhere near the insane level of hysteria/blowback found at times on this board or the internet as a whole.
I think a lot of posters put on a big show here about how much they're going to blowback on this. Seen the online personas for years.

At the same time, as a parent myself, I give very little leeway for *******s injecting stuff into kid's shows for absolutely little to no upside in it. It IS prominent when you recognize Disney got lazy with policing their own. They've allowed too many activists to alienate paying customers such as myself.
fig96
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

fig96 said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

TCTTS said:

I only pushed back on the idea that the "agenda" was prominent, or deserved anywhere near the insane level of hysteria/blowback found at times on this board or the internet as a whole.
But you don't know what you're talking about.

You can't understand why so many people (on this board), "blowback". It's because you don't understand what's happening. I'm not gonna say that YOU are a Hollywood nutjob, I wouldn't say that, BUT you are surrounded by Hollywood nut jobs. Your entire livelihood depends on this fictional world that everyone around you supports.

PERHAPS YOU HAVE ZERO PERSPECTIVE ON THIS!

"I can't see the forest through all these dang ol' trees!"
Perhaps he has a different perspective on this. And perhaps others who think everyone is boycotting Disney are in a different kind of bubble.
We're talking about the poster who thinks parents shielding their children from inappropriate material are the problem, and not the material they're watching. This poster is brainwashed and in the thick of the problem. It's no duh this poster doesn't understand any point of view outside of Hollyweird…
Outstanding job reinforcing my point.
aggiephoenix02
I'd put TCCST in the same category as tobacco farmers…
The Porkchop Express
Well nothing's going to top that.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Are you as obsessed with tobacco farmers as you are with me?
aggiephoenix02
TCTTS said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

No way, I'm so obsessed with you nothing can top you, you're the center of my universe. It's not that I like pointing out how you're wrong all the time and kinda crazy, NOPE! It's that I'm obsessed with YOU…

Or maybe you're a narcissistic hollyweirdo that thinks the world revolves around you.

Nah, that can't be it, it's that I'm obsessed with you

You
You TCCTS
It's you
You you you you you
TCTTS
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

TCTTS said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

No way, I'm so obsessed with you nothing can top you, you're the center of my universe. It's not that I like pointing out how you're wrong all the time and kinda crazy, NOPE! It's that I'm obsessed with YOU…

Or maybe you're a narcissistic hollyweirdo that thinks the world revolves around you.

Nah, that can't be it, it's that I'm obsessed with you

You
You TCCTS
It's you
You you you you you

POSTER A
"The giant entertainment conglomerate that's trying to maximize profits and reach the broadest global audience possible better cater to me and my morals!"

POSTER B
"Maybe stop being so hysterical about the 'agenda' of the giant entertainment conglomerate, who admittedly should probably pull it back a bit, but also isn't being nearly as blatant and in-your-face with this stuff as you're making it out to be."

… and of those two, POSTER B is somehow the narcissistic weirdo who thinks the world revolves around them.

Got it.
El Gallo Blanco
fig96 said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

TCTTS said:

You can't understand why so many people (on this board), "blowback". It's because you don't understand what's happening. I'm not gonna say that YOU are a Hollywood nutjob, I wouldn't say that, BUT you are surrounded by Hollywood nut jobs. Your entire livelihood depends on this fictional world that everyone around you supports.

Perhaps he has a different perspective on this. And perhaps others who think everyone is boycotting Disney are in a different kind of bubble.

I honestly think most normal people see the world very differently once they have children and that it is pretty much as simple as that. You notice things that used to not be on your radar.
fig96
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

fig96 said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

TCTTS said:

I honestly think most normal people see the world very differently once they have children and that it is pretty much as simple as that. You notice things that used to not be on your radar.
I don't disagree, but at the same time there are people with kids that have different perspectives (speaking for myself and many others I know). And some on here seem kind of oblivious to the bubble they reside in while "explaining" to the other side how biased they are.

The vocal minority are just that, vocal. The answer to most of this comes down to a lack of compelling content more so than any big anti Disney movement. If the movies are really good people will go see them, and they haven't been.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

AgLiving06 said:

As a historic target audience of the Mouse (2 kids under 10). The problem Disney with imo, is they've lost the trust of the core audience. I don't mean putting out bad movies. Those happen, but it's the content itself that is questionable or inappropriate for kids. And that's the biggest red flag.

For example, Spidey and his Amazing Friends. Very younger kid show. It has a person name Jerry who apparently has "They/Them" pronouns. Link

Is that acceptable for kids that young? No.
Do you think a younger kid has any clue or concept of this? No.

My kids no longer get to watch that show.

it means now we have to screen all the content which means watching less of their content because of the extra effort.

Same for Inside/Out 2. We liked the first one. The kids liked it. We are talking about this being our oldest first theatre movie this summer. But there's hesitation because we don't know what they are trying to sneak in. We can't consider taking them until we get a better idea of what is actually hidden in the film.

What Disney has to do, is something they certainly are unwilling or unable to do. Admit they've messed up and start to undo the damage they've done and earn people's trust back.

They've literally already done this. Iger has straight up said, on multiple occasions now, that he feels they went too far in that direction, and that "Our primary mission needs to be to entertain and then through our entertainment to continue to have a positive impact on the world. And I'm very serious about that. It should not be agenda-driven." And that's just one quote. This has been one of his big messages for months now.

All that said, if you're THAT concerned about your kids hearing a single character being referred to as "they/them," I don't know what to tell you. Seems like a ridiculous overreaction to me, but to each their own. All I know is that I have plenty of ultra-Christian family members who continue to take their kids to Disney movies and even they don't give a sh*t. The kids certainly don't care. It's only a big deal when the parents choose to make it a big deal.
As a parent, I personally don't get it.

Whether I like it or not, there are people in the world that prefer to be referred to as "they/them". And if my kid were to ask I would tell them "there are people that prefer to be referred to as they/them". It's not any more complicated than that.

If Disney "sneaks" something in that they ask about I'll answer in a similar fashion. Kids in general take things in stride with far less drama than many adults make it out to be.
TCTTS
aggiephoenix02
Yes, the Ilhan Omar approach, "Some people [do stuff]."

What a wonderful parenting method…
Ribbed Paultz
Does anyone else imagine Redstone sounds like Jon Blitt from the Stern show? I feel like his posts sound like Blitt talks.

When Blitt screws with Ronnie the Limo Driver, it makes Ronnie so hopping mad. Love it.
El Gallo Blanco
fig96 said:

TCTTS said:

AgLiving06 said:

As a historic target audience of the Mouse (2 kids under 10). The problem Disney with imo, is they've lost the trust of the core audience. I don't mean putting out bad movies. Those happen, but it's the content itself that is questionable or inappropriate for kids. And that's the biggest red flag.

For example, Spidey and his Amazing Friends. Very younger kid show. It has a person name Jerry who apparently has "They/Them" pronouns. Link

Is that acceptable for kids that young? No.
Do you think a younger kid has any clue or concept of this? No.

My kids no longer get to watch that show.

it means now we have to screen all the content which means watching less of their content because of the extra effort.

Same for Inside/Out 2. We liked the first one. The kids liked it. We are talking about this being our oldest first theatre movie this summer. But there's hesitation because we don't know what they are trying to sneak in. We can't consider taking them until we get a better idea of what is actually hidden in the film.

What Disney has to do, is something they certainly are unwilling or unable to do. Admit they've messed up and start to undo the damage they've done and earn people's trust back.

They've literally already done this. Iger has straight up said, on multiple occasions now, that he feels they went too far in that direction, and that "Our primary mission needs to be to entertain and then through our entertainment to continue to have a positive impact on the world. And I'm very serious about that. It should not be agenda-driven." And that's just one quote. This has been one of his big messages for months now.

All that said, if you're THAT concerned about your kids hearing a single character being referred to as "they/them," I don't know what to tell you. Seems like a ridiculous overreaction to me, but to each their own. All I know is that I have plenty of ultra-Christian family members who continue to take their kids to Disney movies and even they don't give a sh*t. The kids certainly don't care. It's only a big deal when the parents choose to make it a big deal.
As a parent, I personally don't get it.

Whether I like it or not, there are people in the world that prefer to be referred to as "they/them". And if my kid were to ask I would tell them "there are people that prefer to be referred to as they/them". It's not any more complicated than that.

If Disney "sneaks" something in that they ask about I'll answer in a similar fashion. Kids in general take things in stride with far less drama than many adults make it out to be.
Some of us don't like this crazy world and culture they/them and the people who think there are 86 genders want to create and try to force onto everyone...it is funneling its way into schools. There have definitely been efforts to influence children into their way of thinking...not talking about Disney specifically necessarily.

You do you and reinforce to small children that this is normal behavior, but I am going to teach my children that these people are either mentally ill or hyper partisan brainwashed virtue signalers that need help and to stay away from them and not listen to a thing they say. And for the love of God tell daddy if a crazy man in drag approaches you in any way or tries to enter the same bathroom as you. I will tune that MF'er up in a heartbeat.

Normal society is icreasingly rejecting this crap and refusing to play along. It's insanity. I realize Hollyweird people won't agree. But even corporations are backing down...and I can't tell you how many people I have witnessed who have removed the stupid he/him, she/her profiles from their bios and email sigs.

You going to tell your girls that there are mentally ill men who want to use the restroom and shower with them too? That men should be able to shatter womens records in sports? This stuff has gone mainstream and you're basically a bad liberal if you disagree with it. How much are you willing to play this weird ass game?
fig96
AG
That diverged quite quickly from "I'm not concerned about a random comment in a Disney show". There are certainly other things that we will address with our kids when appropriate.

What many of y'all seem to miss is that there's a lot of room between what you believe and whatever name you decided to call far left liberals this week. Most people fall much closer to the middle than you give them credit for.
CC09LawAg
fig96 said:

That diverged quite quickly from "I'm not concerned about a random comment in a Disney show". There are certainly other things that we will address with our kids when appropriate.

What many of y'all seem to miss is that there's a lot of room between what you believe and whatever name you decided to call far left liberals this week. Most people fall much closer to the middle than you give them credit for.
The issue with people who believe they "fall closer to the middle" is that they turn a blind eye to what is actually going on in the world and within the schools and society at large.

This is where you get it all wrong in today's political and social climate. People "in the middle" are actually just lazy and want everything to remain status quo. Mainly because they don't want to upset people, or be called names, or be ostracized and left out of the "cool kids" group.

The people pushing this stuff take advantage of this apathy and move things along at such an accelerated pace that one day these "in the middle" people look up and think, what the hell happened?

I should know, because I used to be one of those "in the middle" people.
El Gallo Blanco
fig96 said:

You can paint me as "fringe" all you want, but it is the hijacked modern mainstream left, from highest levels of government, to Hollyweird, to major institutions, that has become the actual "fringe" and think people like you, me, Bill Maher etc. are disgusting/bigots/extremists for thinking men in drag should not be able to compete against women, shower and use bathroom with them, that 12-13 year old girls should be able to have their breasts removed and undergo irreversible hormone replacement therapy, and that gender reveal parties are insensitive. The most recent liberal SCOTUS appointee literally cannot define what a woman is. She says you have to be a biologist. I bring this up because I never see your type calling out that type of insanity. It's just regular folks who have a problem with it that you people criticize. WE are the irrational ones lol.

As for me, I am just a normal dude from 10 years ago who refuses to play these absurd games.

This pretty much sums up normal American males who are rejecting the insanity imo:

fig96
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

fig96 said:

You can paint me as "fringe" all you want, but it is the hijacked modern mainstream left, from highest levels of government, to Hollyweird, to major institutions, that has become the actual "fringe" and think people like you, me, Bill Maher etc. are disgusting/bigots/extremists for thinking men in drag should not be able to compete against women, shower and use bathroom with them, that 12-13 year old girls should be able to have their breasts removed and undergo irreversible hormone replacement therapy, and that gender reveal parties are insensitive. The most recent liberal SCOTUS appointee literally cannot define what a woman is. She says you have to be a biologist. I bring this up because I never see your type calling out that type of insanity.
I used to post about politics till I finally realized there's zero positive return from it.

You're either in an absolute echo chamber where everyone agrees or end up in stupid arguments with random internet strangers. Life is too short for either of those.

Actual conversations yield far more positive returns.
El Gallo Blanco
fig96 said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

fig96 said:

You can paint me as "fringe" all you want, but it is the hijacked modern mainstream left, from highest levels of government, to Hollyweird, to major institutions, that has become the actual "fringe" and think people like you, me, Bill Maher etc. are disgusting/bigots/extremists for thinking men in drag should not be able to compete against women, shower and use bathroom with them, that 12-13 year old girls should be able to have their breasts removed and undergo irreversible hormone replacement therapy, and that gender reveal parties are insensitive. The most recent liberal SCOTUS appointee literally cannot define what a woman is. She says you have to be a biologist. I bring this up because I never see your type calling out that type of insanity.
I used to post about politics till I finally realized there's zero positive return from it.

You're either in an absolute echo chamber where everyone agrees or end up in stupid arguments with random internet strangers. Life is too short for either of those.

Actual conversations yield far more positive returns.
Agreed, you see it in long form podcast convos vs. shortened news show soundbyte based segments. Good day
WoMD
fig96 said:

While that sounds great, the people who determine what is considered "normal" by presenting literally everything people are exposed to from the far left perspective are manipulating society to force that change of mindset and normalize the extremes. Rationale adults can differentiate this shift in exposure of information in the form of entertainment, but guess who is the most impressionable subset of society? Ill give you one guess...

Training kids early what is and what isn't "normal" is a very effective strategy to force change in this world. Disney has a huge responsibility to NOT do this, as they literally have the ability to train children on the extremes in one very dramatic direction, and further away from "the middle," as you say is where a majority of society falls. Fast forward ten+ years, when the children who have had all of this new normal forced down their throats without even realizing it, small bit by small bit, and we'll see where the middle lies at that point. Based on the MASSIVE shift left that has already happened over a very short period of time to normalize what used to be considered far extreme, I expect that new normal to be where we consider the outliers to be today. Who expected any of this to be shoved down the throats in every piece of society just a few years ago? And the best way to do it is by throwing little fragments into the minds of children, almost subconsciously. Little pieces here and there, considered insignificant to some naive adults in "the middle," but very obvious for the intention by those doing it for those of us paying attention to the very clear goals. Slowly but surely is a sound strategy compared to massive shifts all at once. And somehow we are shocked by the end result, as we watch it play out in front of our eyes, throwing excuses at each other of just how small this is in the current context. Blissful ignorance until it's too late. Sounds familiar to all of society these days, but this change will make things a hell of a lot easier down the line for those with that goal in mind.

It used to be academia indoctrinating impressionable kids, and without the supervision of their parents to notice their kids have been broken until after it's too late. Now they've grown bold enough to do it right under your noses. But they're small and insignificant, right? Not when kids are literally learning every small detail in how the world works. There is no such thing as small learned information to people who are learning everything for the first time. Academia won't even have to try by the time kids get to them. It'l all be built into their brains as "normal" by the end. The only question will remain, what will be the current extreme when we hit that point...?
CC09LawAg
The issue with "the middle" is that they have no anchoring point - they continue to just stay "in the middle" as things shift further and further left.

It's how they avoid conflict. If you ask them what they believed 10 or 20 years ago, most of them probably can't be intellectually honest enough to tell you that they wouldn't agree with a lot of what is going on. But they will chide you for not "developing with the times" and will white knight and use their newfound moral high road to berate you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Or maybe...not everyone needs to make everything a hill to die on?
Redstone
AG
We need to focus on the main issues here. Inclusion and Equity. Not fighting, but in really understanding the issues at hand.

Disney, like any major company, should value Diversity. This has positive impacts on creativity, representation, market reach, and overall business success.

Enhanced Creativity: Diverse teams bring a variety of perspectives and experiences, which leads to more innovative and creative solutions and storytelling. This Diversity helps Disney produce unique and compelling content that appeals to a broad audience.

Broad Storytelling: Diverse Voices in the creative process allows Disney to tell a wider range of stories that reflect different cultures, backgrounds, and experiences. This results in more engaging and relatable content for audiences worldwide.

Positive Representation: Disney influences societal perceptions and provide Representation for various communities. This inspires and empowers individuals, particularly those historically underrepresented in media.

Cultural Sensitivity: Diversity ensures Disney approaches storytelling with cultural sensitivity and authenticity, reducing the risk of perpetuating stereotypes or offending underrepresented groups.

Global Audience: Disney's audience is global, and valuing Diversity helps the company connect with and appeal to a broader range of viewers. This inclusivity enhances brand loyalty and expands Disney's market reach.

Consumer Expectations: Modern consumers expect companies to be socially responsible and Inclusive. Valuing Diversity aligns with these expectations and can enhance Disney's brand image and reputation.

Employee Satisfaction: Diverse and Inclusive workplace leads to higher employee satisfaction, better talent attraction and retention, and improved overall performance. Employees who feel valued and respected are more likely to be engaged and productive.

Social Impact: As a leading entertainment company, Disney has a significant influence on culture and society. Valuing Diversity is part of being a responsible corporate citizen, contributing to a more Inclusive and Equitable world.

Ethical Standards: Promoting Diversity aligns with ethical business practices and demonstrates a commitment to Fairness and Equity.

Valuing Diversity is not only beneficial for Disney's business success but also for its social impact and ethical standing. By embracing and promoting Diversity, Disney creates a more Inclusive environment for its employees, produce richer and more varied content, and better connections with its global audience.
El Gallo Blanco
Brian Earl Spilner said:

No one is saying you have to care about massive corporations and government beuracracies trying to influence children at a very young age. You are allowed to not care that millions of people want my child to buy into the psycho, deranged stuff they are pushing. You do you.
CC09LawAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You don't have kids, right?

You will get it one day when your decisions and choices you make about what principles to stand on will survive for generations beyond you.

Or you won't, and you can continue to watch it all slip away.
TCTTS
AG
"Millions of people."

Give me a break and stop with the hysterics.

It's a loud, extremist minority on the left who uses social media/cancel culture to keep the rest of the left from speaking out against them. And if you were at all paying attention, the tide is already turning against those lunatics, as more and more people are getting fed up with them. Even Disney isn't listening to them anymore, "diversity specialists" are being fired left and right, etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have no issue with the principles you choose to pass onto your kids.

My issue is with you having to place everyone in the world on either side of that fence.
El Gallo Blanco
TCTTS said:

"Millions of people."

It's a loud, extremist minority on the left who uses social media/cancel culture to keep the rest of the left from speaking out against them. And if you were at all paying attention, the tide is already turning away from those lunatics, as more and more people are getting fed up with them. Even Disney isn't listening to them anymore, "diversity specialists" are being fired left and right, etc.
President, his entire cabinet, most leftist politicians, bulk of Hollyweird, and TONS AND TONS of every day useful idiot leftist who vote for this insanity. Yes, absolutely millions of people buy into the weird sh**.

You just get offended and want to argue about every damned thing and think you are the final authority on every social issue for whatever reason. There are 350MM people in this country. Yes, millions of people subscribe to the insanity, and think others should too. Hell, quite a few at my company here in Houston, TX do. The fringe has become mainstream on the left.
TCTTS
AG
Do you seriously not understand how voting works?

You realize that not every vote is in support of everything everyone on one side or the other stands for, right?

That people vote against the other guy just as much if not more than they're for their own "side."

In other words, millions of people on the left simply think Trump et al is worse than Disney featuring a two-second same-sex kiss in the background of Lightyear or whatever. That doesn't mean they're all bleeding liberals who champion "corrupting" your kids.
boy09
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

TCTTS said:

"Millions of people."

It's a loud, extremist minority on the left who uses social media/cancel culture to keep the rest of the left from speaking out against them. And if you were at all paying attention, the tide is already turning away from those lunatics, as more and more people are getting fed up with them. Even Disney isn't listening to them anymore, "diversity specialists" are being fired left and right, etc.
President, his entire cabinet, most leftist politicians, bulk of Hollyweird, and TONS AND TONS of every day useful idiot leftist who vote for this insanity. Yes, absolutely millions of people buy into the weird sh**.

You just get offended and want to argue about every damned thing and think you are the final authority on every social issue for whatever reason. There are 350MM people in this country. Yes, millions of people subscribe to the insanity, and think others should too. Hell, quite a few at my company here in Houston, TX do. The fringe has become mainstream on the left.
Good thing we have you here to clear things up for us...
El Gallo Blanco
TCTTS said:

Do you seriously not understand how voting works?

You realize that not every vote is in support of everything everyone on one side or the other stands for, right?

That people vote against the other guy just as much if not more than they're for their own "side."

In other words, millions of people on the left simply think Trump et al is worse than Disney featuring a two-second same-sex kiss in the background of Lightyear or whatever. That doesn't mean they're all bleeding liberals who champion "corrupting" your kids.
LOL, Millions support the he/him-she/her and other gender sh** being pushed these days. Millions more are apathetic about this stuff. You are not fooling me. I probably follow this stuff much closer than you do. There is no way we will ever agree on this issue. I shouldn't have even mentioned votes...actual active and passive support for these philiosophies and ideologies is in the millions nationwide. It's gotta be in the thousands, or tens of thousands, just in a 10 mile radius of Hollywood alone. Also other liberal bastions in the West and PacNW.

My favorite is the people who act like people with small children are crazy for even caring. Like it makes them "cool" or "enlightened" or something. Reminds me of this...

TCTTS
AG
I don't think you're crazy for caring.

I think you and those like you are crazy for making it The Biggest Deal in the World, to the point where the complaining dominates/derails every last thread on this increasingly insufferable board.

Especially when no one is forcing you to go to these movies or watch these shows, just like no one is forcing you to b*tch endlessly about them on the internet (and on this board, specifically).
boy09
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

LOL, Millions support the he/him-she/her and other gender sh** being pushed these days. Millions more are apathetic about this stuff. You are not fooling me. I probably follow this stuff much closer than you do. There is no way we will ever agree on this issue. I shouldn't have even mentioned votes...actual active and passive support for these philiosophies and ideologies is in the millions nationwide. It's gotta be in the thousands, or tens of thousands, just in a 10 mile radius of Hollywood alone. Also other liberal bastions in the West and PacNW.
I don't think anyone is gonna argue with you on that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.