*** OPPENHEIMER *** (Spoiler Thread)

55,311 Views | 547 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Southlake
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, in any other situation I realize how ridiculous it might be to have a spoiler thread for a historical drama, but because it's Christopher Nolan we know this one's going to be anything but traditional, told in twisty, time-hopping fashion. So as to keep the structure, story-telling choices, and more minor character arcs from being spoiled in the other thread, I'm creating this one, on the eve of the domestic release (with a number of international markets opening today).

Per usual, I won't be seeing it until Saturday evening myself, in glorious 70mm IMAX, on the third largest IMAX screen in North America. Next to Dune: Part Two this is easily my most anticipated movie of the year, reviews say it's an all-timer, and I absolutely cannot wait.
TCTTS
AG
Bumping for the Thursday night crowd/first reactions, now that screenings are starting to let out.
chick79
AG
Got my tickets for a Saturday matinee at Alamo Draft House in Richardson. Can't wait. I will post my review over the weekend.
YNWA_AG
AG
Absolutely gripping for the 3 hour run time. RDJ should run away with best supporting actor, my word was he good down the stretch.
Emily and Cillian were also incredible.
The sound design and score were perfect.

5/5
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can't wait for tomorrow.
Casual Cynic
It was intense.
Bunk Moreland
Wow. I was not expecting that type of movie in that it was just non stop dialogue yet so gripping the entire time. What a loaded cast. RDJ was awesome yet I was confused about all the praise coming his way until the 3rd act.

I'm not sure if he'll win best actor but for Murphy to carry a 3 hour movie with that much dialogue is a herculean effort. Blunt and Damon were great too.
Houston Lee
AG
Excellent movie. I was not aware of all the stuff that happened to Oppenheimer after the war.
Bunk Moreland
Same. I intentionally stayed away from any additional history I didn't know. I was aware of his communist sympathies and aware that he had critics but had no idea of the full scope.
cr0wbar
AG
Very immersive. Paces incredibly well for a 3 hour runtime. Loved the score, it absolutely helped move the movie along. Gonna stew on it overnight. Needs a rewatch with subtitles for me, personally.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Son and I really enjoyed it. I found it a very chaotic-ly shot movie, for many reasons, which perfectly meshes with the subject matter at hand (even down to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal).

Incredibly well done, and I learned quite a bit for a 45-year old that really didn't know any of the post-bomb-development history that the film dives into.
Cliff.Booth
I'm still very much processing what I saw. It was an amazing movie in just about every regard and I'll be shocked if it doesn't win a hell of a lot of awards. As a person fairly knowledgeable about that period and some of those events I appreciated how it was depicted and it made me interested to read up on certain things and people to see how/why they were portrayed as they were. One thing that caught me a bit off guard was the portrayal of President Truman. That struck me as a pretty harsh way to present how he felt on the matters at hand.

I don't want to go into all of it now but I love that this movie left plenty to chew on and different ways in which it could be interpreted as relevant to our times.
Bunk Moreland
Cliff.Booth said:

One thing that caught me a bit off guard was the portrayal of President Truman. That struck me as a pretty harsh way to present how he felt on the matters at hand.

Having read a Truman biography a few years ago I felt the same way. Did a quick Google search after I got home and apparently it was fairly accurate.

Quote:

That is just a little of the background to the meeting in the Oval Office back there in October 1945. Truman had very little use for Oppenheimer then--little use for his "hand wringing", for his high moral acceptance of question in the use of the bomb, for his second-guessing the decision. Cold must have descended in the meeting, as Truman later told David Lillenthal of Oppenheimer that he "never wanted to see that son of a ***** in this office again". Truman would retell the story in different waysm, but with generally the same result, waxing about how he dismissed the "cry-baby scientist".
Cliff.Booth
I don't necessarily doubt that he disagreed with his conclusions and didn't like him, but Truman was no fool. The guy was extremely well educated and well read.
Bunk Moreland
I agree, so what's your beef? Truman didn't come off as dumb in that scene. And apparently Nolan used actual language Truman used after the meeting. I think Truman came off as a typical president... A little annoyed that Oppenheimer felt blood on his hands when Truman was the one who actually had to make the ballsy call to drop the bombs.
Cliff.Booth
Just the way he was presented. If Nolan had chosen to he could have had Truman in numerous scenes to build up background on his character and the decisions he faced and why he felt the way he did, etc, but this movie couldn't have been 5 hours so we got one minute long introduction to Truman and he was presented as a callous bully. Just surprised me a bit. Maybe it was justified but I've never gotten that impression from what I've read of him.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The bomb still went off right?
Cliff.Booth
You'll have to go to the movie and see.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
BoydCrowder13
I'm working through a podcast on the scientists in the Manhattan project and the Nazi camp right now. What strikes me is how many of these people knew each other. Oppenheimer, Bohr, Einstein, Heisenberg, etc. All huge in their field and known worldwide. Not really like that nowadays.

I'd be surprised if they doesn't win multiple Oscars.

Also, it seemed like every actor in Hollywood was in this. Murphy, Blunt, Damon, Downey, Pugh, Hartlett, Casey Affleck, Rami Mellek, Dane Dehaan, Oldman, Jason Clarke. Just goes to show how many people want to work with Nolan at this point. Even for only a cameo.
C@LAg
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

Last note: I didn't see it in 70mm, but I don't think that would have added as much to the movie experience (except that one 90ish second scene). Not a huge miss if you see it in normal non-IMAX, I'd say.
i suggested that a long time ago, and got jumped on by many people.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Saw it tonight in 70mm non-IMAX at the AMC16 in Burbank.

Theater was full.
Movie was great.

Reminded me of the movie JFK (189 minutes) with the lengthy litigation scenes.

Robert Downey Jr. killed it as Lewis Strauss.

With a 180 minute runtime, it will probably be a while before I watch it again.

I definitely have some research to do on people like Teller.

Tonight was the first time I've seen large groups of people at the movies since the beginning of the thing in 2020.
gggmann
AG
Raining all day here in Pattaya, so I went and caught a noon showing. There were only 10-15 people in the theater. Ran into a friend from Phoenix - what are the odds?

I thought it was pretty great.
c-jags
BoydCrowder13 said:

Also, it seemed like every actor in Hollywood was in this. Murphy, Blunt, Damon, Downey, Pugh, Hartlett, Casey Affleck, Rami Mellek, Dane Dehaan, Oldman, Jason Clarke. Just goes to show how many people want to work with Nolan at this point. Even for only a cameo.

i feel the same about Wes Anderson as well. the amount of ridiculous cameos in Asteroid City was through the roof and you can't imagine many of them took much money for it.
AgShaun00
AG
Saw it last night. No imax or 70mm. Had a theater with upgraded sound and it was amazing. Santikos AVX. Great story telling. They could have made this into a multi season series and be amazing as I am sure there was so much more but the effects and presentation was amazing and tv series couldn't do it justice. Has to be watched on big screen and will do the imax. I went with my 17 yr old and wish they didn't have the nudity in it as my 14 wants to see it and would love it. Great movie.
Claude!
Arrakis ecologist said:

The bomb still went off right?
Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

They could have made this into a multi season series and be amazing as I am sure there was so much more but the effects and presentation was amazing and tv series couldn't do it justice.

Good point. It's almost 3 movies in one. That's usually what's so impressive about Nolan to me is that he can take something so much bigger/complex and find a way to deliver it to us in a single movie, and (mostly) understandable.

And if you look at the order of his movies, his next one should be a wild one as he seemingly flip flops from a more straight forward traditional hollywood movie to something wild every other film

Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Interstellar
Dunkirk
Tenet
Oppenheimer
???
Geriatric Punk
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

They could have made this into a multi season series and be amazing as I am sure there was so much more but the effects and presentation was amazing and tv series couldn't do it justice.

Good point. It's almost 3 movies in one. That's usually what's so impressive about Nolan to me is that he can take something so much bigger/complex and find a way to deliver it to us in a single movie, and (mostly) understandable.

And if you look at the order of his movies, his next one should be a wild one as he seemingly flip flops from a more straight forward traditional hollywood movie to something wild every other film

Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Interstellar
Dunkirk
Tenet
Oppenheimer
???
His next flick is Tenet 2. It is the same as the first Tenet, except played backwards.
Bunk Moreland
Geriatric Punk said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Interstellar
Dunkirk
Tenet
Oppenheimer
???
His next flick is Tenet 2. It is the same as the first Tenet, except played backwards.

So forward then? or is it sideways?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Interstellar
Dunkirk
Tenet
Oppenheimer
???

Tenet 2 : oolagoob cirtcele
AgLiving06
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Interstellar
Dunkirk
Tenet
Oppenheimer
???

The Prestige is considered a flop?

That's one of my favorite movies by him.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

The Prestige is considered a flop?

That's one of my favorite movies by him.

No, I mean he flip flops back and forth between more traditional Hollywood movies and then maybe what I'd call his passion projects. Prestige is one of my favorites too.

I bolded/italicized to just highlight how he goes back and forth...I'd consider comic book movies, war movies, biopics all as traditional hollywood subject matter films and then Prestige, Inception, Interstellar, Tenet are all wild in their own way.
Cliff.Booth
In the multiple quick shots of Oppy's commie girlfriend dying am I tripping or in one shot was there a gloved hand holding her head under water?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
See you in 3 hrs…
bobinator
AG
I think 95% of this movie is the best movie Nolan has made, but there's just some odd choices a couple of times for me.

One example is the scene where Kitty imagines seeing Jean in the room having sex with Oppenheimer... it's literally the only scene of the entire movie where we see what Kitty is thinking insider her own head. It'd be like if one scene in the middle of The Prestige was told from the POV of Scarlett Johansson's character. Not sure I really understood that creative choice.

But overall just a great movie, one of the best I've seen in some time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.