*** OPPENHEIMER *** (Spoiler Thread)

55,322 Views | 547 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Southlake
AJ02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like plenty available at the Walmart near me in Spring.
TCTTS
AG
4K UHD? Because the two I went to had plenty of Blu-ray and DVD versions, but the 4K UHD sections were completely sold out.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
AJ02
AG
TCTTS said:

4K UHD? Because the two I went to had plenty of Blu-ray and DVD versions, but the 4K UHD sections were completely sold out.

Yep. Just checked last night. They had the 4K version and the BluRay/DVD versions. Perhaps Spring just isn't cultured enough to "get" Oppenheimer, so no one wants to buy it.
TCTTS
AG
Dang. It can't be any less cultured than Wichita Falls.
TCTTS
AG

The Milkman
AG
Watched this tonight for first time. Went in without really knowing anything about the story. I don't get the hype though. Thought it was pretty boring and repetitive.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So cool.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
cajunaggie08
AG
I finally saw it the other night at home. It was entertaining but I definitely don't get the hype for it. Maybe i NEED to see it in IMAX the way Nolan intended. My wife and I both said afterwards that none of the scenes felt like seeing in IMAX would have made a huge difference. Perhaps I was expecting something more after months of hype surrounding it. It was a good movie, but I don't think it was a great movie. We were also both distracted by Cillian Murphy sounding like he had Robin WIlliams's voice.
The Milkman
AG
I kept closing my eyes and hearing Mrs Doubtfire. That kept seeing him as Malcolm Gladwell
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How in the hell does Cillian Murphy sound like Robin Williams?

We talking Good Will Hunting, or Aladdin?
cajunaggie08
AG
Good Will Hunting.
Max Power
AG
Just FYI Oppenheimer is on Peacock if anyone wants to stream it. I've been doing a rewatch and this movie is just so damn good. It's more enjoyable on the second watch for me because you know where the film is going. In the first viewing a lot of the black and white scenes that are spliced in were confusing to me while I was watching, even though it comes together in the end. This film was definitely the best thing I saw last year.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Same. I've watched it twice since being available on Peacock. It was great in the theater, but the rewatches have elevated it even more.
maxag42
Nolan has that effect on people. When I saw Interstellar, I thought it was pretty good. Then I watched it a second time and it was even more better than I imagined. Same with Oppenheimer.
BassCowboy33
maxag42 said:

Nolan has that effect on people. When I saw Interstellar, I thought it was pretty good. Then I watched it a second time and it was even more better than I imagined. Same with Oppenheimer.

My brother has said that Interstellar is the best movie he's ever seen. I remember enjoying it, but hadn't seen it since theaters. I ordered the Blu Ray and watched it the other night.

Holy smokes, it blew my mind.
Jim01
AG
Finally watched this. Really enjoyed it but didn't love it. As others have stated though, repeat viewings are a must for Nolan. Right now it's not in his top 3 for me.

The first 2 hours were very compelling and great, but the last hour when all of a sudden RDJ became a main character were less so. I understand exploring the moral aftermath but it was just tough to follow that first 2 hours so it felt like the movie ended with maybe it's weakest section.

I think it will win best picture, director, actor, and maybe supporting actor and I am fine with that. It's not my favorite that I've seen but it's worthy.

How did it get nominated for Best Sound though? I am not a subtitle guy but turned it on pretty early in the movie due to Oppenheimers soft voice and the inability to make out what people were saving. I guess maybe that's mixing though? Hard for me to say a movie deserves any sound award when the dialogue is hard to hear.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Max Power said:

Just FYI Oppenheimer is on Peacock if anyone wants to stream it. I've been doing a rewatch and this movie is just so damn good. It's more enjoyable on the second watch for me because you know where the film is going. In the first viewing a lot of the black and white scenes that are spliced in were confusing to me while I was watching, even though it comes together in the end. This film was definitely the best thing I saw last year.

Good to know i've been waiting to see it again without paying $20.

And I'll be watching with the closed captioning on this time - I know I missed so much due to the droning background noise (and my own hearing issues).
El Gallo Blanco
Watched the first 35-40 min last night. So far pretty solid, but goodness, I didn't realize what a commie this guy was. In hindsight, McCarthy was right...communists and commie sympathizers apparently sprinkled heavily within all of our institutions after doing a little research.
BassCowboy33
Jim01 said:

Finally watched this. Really enjoyed it but didn't love it. As others have stated though, repeat viewings are a must for Nolan. Right now it's not in his top 3 for me.

The first 2 hours were very compelling and great, but the last hour when all of a sudden RDJ became a main character were less so. I understand exploring the moral aftermath but it was just tough to follow that first 2 hours so it felt like the movie ended with maybe it's weakest section.

I think it will win best picture, director, actor, and maybe supporting actor and I am fine with that. It's not my favorite that I've seen but it's worthy.

How did it get nominated for Best Sound though? I am not a subtitle guy but turned it on pretty early in the movie due to Oppenheimers soft voice and the inability to make out what people were saving. I guess maybe that's mixing though? Hard for me to say a movie deserves any sound award when the dialogue is hard to hear.

That's a Nolan sound-mixing trait.
Southlake
Late to the party. Loved the parallel of fusion and confusion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.