*** OPPENHEIMER *** (Spoiler Thread)

55,639 Views | 547 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Southlake
Claude!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KidDoc said:

Also what was the budget to make.everyone looks constantly sweaty? That was distracting.
People were sweatier back then. Air conditioning wasn't widely available.
Jack Thauer
AG
Claude! said:

KidDoc said:

Also what was the budget to make.everyone looks constantly sweaty? That was distracting.

And they were in the freaking desert
BassCowboy33
G.I.Bro said:

Has anyone mentioned that Josh Hartnett has aged like a fine wine? Hatchie matchie

I wonder if this is that film that will jump start the second era of his acting career. I thought he was great.
Thunder18
AG
I really enjoyed it...have been reading up on a lot of the related subject matter all day now
TXTransplant
G.I.Bro said:

Has anyone mentioned that Josh Hartnett has aged like a fine wine? Hatchie matchie

That was my first impression when I saw him on screen. He is very handsome, and the way this character was styled/costumed really played that up (the hair, glasses, etc).
Bunk Moreland
TXTransplant said:

G.I.Bro said:

That was my first impression when I saw him on screen. He is very handsome, and the way this character was styled/costumed really played that up (the hair, glasses, etc).

Thought process:

"Holy **** that's Josh Hartnett. No, no, that's Kyle Chandler with an incredible hair and makeup job by the staff and also he's 20 years younger so I'm watching this in 2003... Wait a minute...."

"Holy **** that is Josh Hartnett!"
KidDoc
AG
Jack Thauer said:

Claude! said:

KidDoc said:

I noticed it most in the DC scenes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bunk Moreland
KidDoc said:

Jack Thauer said:

Claude! said:

KidDoc said:

Have you been to DC? It's a GD swamp. Also that was likely to add context to the pressure cooker that is having to answer to Washington DC
TXTransplant
Haha! I knew it was Hartnett from this thread, but you are right! Could have been Kyle Chandler 20 years ago!
gunan01
AG
Not sure if this has been mentioned but how much street cred does Christopher Nolan have that he got TWO recent former Best Actor winners (C Affleck and Malek) to play bit roles this movie?!?!
JCRiley09
AG
What kind of theater are y'all seeing this in? I wonder if some of the people complaining about sound and not following were in smaller theaters. Nolan is obviously notorious for having mixes that don't size down well.
Another Doug
AG
I saw it at the IMAX in Bryan, both my kid and I had trouble following dialog at times
gunan01
AG
Another Doug said:

I saw it at the IMAX in Bryan, both my kid and I had trouble following dialog at times

I saw it at the same IMAX. Audio was fine. It's a heavy movie. If you couldn't follow, I don't think it was audio related
TXTransplant
We saw it in a Star Cinema theater. I managed to understand most everything , but I was really listening carefully. There were a few scenes I missed. Most times when I struggled to hear it was because the background music was too dominant.

Funny, the sound also went out for a few seconds during our screening, but not at the same point as TCTTS described.
Bunk Moreland
Saw it in IMAX Bryan and had zero issues with the audio. It's a Nolan film.
Cliff.Booth
Wait, y'alls Oppenheimer had sound?

TexAgBolter
AG
Saw it in imax in Tomball this morning. Thought it was fantastic.

But I'm a history nerd (and grad) which drives my wife nuts. She thought it was too loud, jumpy, and messy.

American Prometheus was a great analogy to Oppie's life. Have not read the book, but that title seems perfect.

Great movie, but I question the push for large format. I don't think my experience wold have been different on a smaller format as long as the sound was good.
Another Doug
AG
Well they need to start offering screenings for ******s like me with captions or maybe a system where if we miss something we can raise our hand and a smart Texags user can yell out what was just said.
gunan01
AG
TXTransplant said:

We saw it in a Star Cinema theater. I managed to understand most everything , but I was really listening carefully. There were a few scenes I missed. Most times when I struggled to hear it was because the background music was too dominant.

Funny, the sound also went out for a few seconds during our screening, but not at the same point as TCTTS described.
The background music is Nolan's style but it's a little overbearing at times. Basically every scene had background music.
BassCowboy33
KidDoc said:

Jack Thauer said:

Claude! said:

KidDoc said:

The second most I've ever sweated in my life was working in the literal swamp that is DC.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AgShaun00
AG
Why did oppie tell his wife to take the sheets down? Was he funneling info to someone? Thought he mentioned it twice.
OldArmy71
AG
That was his secret signal to her that the bomb test had worked.

Another Doug
AG
The first time I thought it was a reference to radiation if the bomb was successful and the wind was blowing that way. The second time was just a reference to the first.
G.I.Bro
AgShaun00 said:

Why did oppie tell his wife to take the sheets down? Was he funneling info to someone? Thought he mentioned it twice.

"If things go our way I'll tell you to take in the sheets" or something like that
Another Doug
AG
G.I.Bro said:

AgShaun00 said:

"If things go our way I'll tell you to take in the sheets" or something like that

Again I missed that I thought he said wind
HollywoodBQ
AG
PatAg said:

You forgot about Top Gun: Maverick pretty quickly
Wrong

Top Gun packed one screen.

Barbenheimer packed the whole venue.

Also, don't forget, I'm in LA County where people are really slow to let go of the Covid fear.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
gunan01 said:

Another Doug said:

I saw it at the same IMAX. Audio was fine. It's a heavy movie. If you couldn't follow, I don't think it was audio related

lol damn
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

BudFox7 said:

Lots of words making semi-excuses means the movie wasn't nearly as good as its massive ad budget made it out to be.
I don't even know what that means.

But, I can say this movie combined with Barbie has brought people back to the theaters for the first time since the scamdemic started.

Granted, there were still 20% of people wearing masks at the theatre in July 2023 but at least they were there.

It's been years since I've seen anything close to a theatre screen, much less the entire building being packed.

Frankly, the Burbank Media Center was poppin' on Thursday night like it was 2005 again.

Granted most of the credit goes to Barbie but Oppenheimer delivered. Especially considering it was based on the lives of scientists from 80 years ago. Incredible.

Agreed with all of this. In NorCal the theater was packed. Regularly go to this theater and haven't seen anything like this since before covid
TCTTS
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

TXTransplant said:

G.I.Bro said:

Thought process:

"Holy **** that's Josh Hartnett. No, no, that's Kyle Chandler with an incredible hair and makeup job by the staff and also he's 20 years younger so I'm watching this in 2003... Wait a minute...."

"Holy **** that is Josh Hartnett!"

I thought this was spot-on...

I'm totally rooting for a Hartnett comeback, but in his dad/husband era. I've always really liked him. He was offered Superman three times back in '02/'03, but obviously turned it down, then met with Nolan for Batman before Bale, and ultimately decided he just didn't want to be a massive star. Good on him for sticking to his guns, but I could see him killing it now as a more "seasoned" actor.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I Am A Critic
HollywoodBQ said:

where people are really slow to let go of the Covid fear.

As much as you bring it up when it's irrelevant to the conversation, it sounds like you're having a hard time letting go too.
Username checks out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.