*** OPPENHEIMER *** (Spoiler Thread)

55,928 Views | 547 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Southlake
BudFox7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lots of words making semi-excuses means the movie wasn't nearly as good as its massive ad budget made it out to be.
Cliff.Booth
BassCowboy33
veryfuller said:

https://www.vox.com/culture/23800888/oppenheimer-review-physics-donne-trinity-christopher-nolan-fission-fusion

This reviewer does a good job of focusing on the power dynamics and themes of the movie. I especially like the insight that Oppie represents fission and Strauss fusion (which the movie even labels) in how they try to wield their own power.

The longer I sit with the movie, the more I love how the film shows both approaches fail. Both men collapse under their own inability to wield their power. They are both nave in ways that end up biting them in the end.

My big gripe with the book is that it seems dead set that Oppenheimer's views were correct about how to handle information and nuclear weapons post-war. But we never lived in a world where that played out so we don't know if it would have been better or worse.

Nolan avoids this with his ending, IMO. Oppie acknowledges that they set the world on fire, and his post-war work of trying to put the genie back in the bottle is almost a futile attempt at penance.

Anyway, the longer I've sat with it, the more impressive an effort this movie has become to me. Cannot wait to watch it again.

A lot of people are saying it is a very heavy movie that they don't think they can watch again. I'm on the other end of that. I could absolutely watch this again, because it was very entertaining. Three hours just zoomed by.
chick79
AG
I'll definitely watch again with closed captioning. It was hard to pick up everything in the theater.
Southlake
Not being played in Japan…
Geriatric Punk
AG
Good flick. The frenetic pacing wears you out. Could have been 30 minutes shorter.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
About halfway through, I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.
amercer
AG
It is an incredible movie. I'd like to see it again on a screen the size of the earth.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BassCowboy33
Another thing. The more I think about it, the more the last hour was my favorite part of the movie. That's a hard sell for a three hour film.
Bunk Moreland
BassCowboy33 said:

veryfuller said:

https://www.vox.com/culture/23800888/oppenheimer-review-physics-donne-trinity-christopher-nolan-fission-fusion

This reviewer does a good job of focusing on the power dynamics and themes of the movie. I especially like the insight that Oppie represents fission and Strauss fusion (which the movie even labels) in how they try to wield their own power.

The longer I sit with the movie, the more I love how the film shows both approaches fail. Both men collapse under their own inability to wield their power. They are both nave in ways that end up biting them in the end.

My big gripe with the book is that it seems dead set that Oppenheimer's views were correct about how to handle information and nuclear weapons post-war. But we never lived in a world where that played out so we don't know if it would have been better or worse.

Nolan avoids this with his ending, IMO. Oppie acknowledges that they set the world on fire, and his post-war work of trying to put the genie back in the bottle is almost a futile attempt at penance.

Anyway, the longer I've sat with it, the more impressive an effort this movie has become to me. Cannot wait to watch it again.

A lot of people are saying it is a very heavy movie that they don't think they can watch again. I'm on the other end of that. I could absolutely watch this again, because it was very entertaining. Three hours just zoomed by.

Same. Can't wait to see it again.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BudFox7 said:

Lots of words making semi-excuses means the movie wasn't nearly as good as its massive ad budget made it out to be.
I don't even know what that means.

But, I can say this movie combined with Barbie has brought people back to the theaters for the first time since the scamdemic started.

Granted, there were still 20% of people wearing masks at the theatre in July 2023 but at least they were there.

It's been years since I've seen anything close to a theatre screen, much less the entire building being packed.

Frankly, the Burbank Media Center was poppin' on Thursday night like it was 2005 again.

Granted most of the credit goes to Barbie but Oppenheimer delivered. Especially considering it was based on the lives of scientists from 80 years ago. Incredible.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Southlake said:

Not being played in Japan…
I flew ANA to Tokyo back when the 2019 version of "Midway" was new on the in-flight movies. Surprisingly, ANA didn't have it.
PatAg
AG
You forgot about Top Gun: Maverick pretty quickly
Another Doug
AG
I was very whelmed by this movie. Pretty, memorable scenes, muddled story, so classic Nolan. It might be better with closed captioning, but I don't really see me watching again. I don't get the best acting accolades being proposed, all the characters seem pretty shallow just were shot beautifully.
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

All very well said and makes me want to see it again even more.
aggrad02
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

BassCowboy33 said:

veryfuller said:

I've watched it twice now, once yesterday and once today, and found it boring and emotionally impaired.

Yesterday I watched it but was buzzed from breakfast bloody marys. I like Nolan and was looking forward to the movie so I was extremely disappointed.

I decided to watch it again today completely sober and in 70mm, still didn't help.

The movie is cinematically beautifully shot and produced, the acting was top notch, the writing just wasn't there. Never did I become emotionally invested in Oppenheimer, or emotionally biased against Strauss. It seemed as though all of the characters were paper thin.

amercer
AG
Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread as it isn't the source material here, but The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes is maybe the best non fiction book ever written. If you have any interest in the subject, pick that up.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Saw it yesterday morning. Wasn't a big fan of the pacing and 1st hour of jumping around. Keeping tabs on all the people was a little difficult.

Will see again in a year or so. Good, but not epic.
TCTTS
AG
I still can't wrap my mind around this, especially after seeing the movie myself, and realizing just how dense it truly is. In terms of box office, this is quite possibly one of the most encouraging cinematic feats in years if not decades…

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One of the replies says it's riding on Barbie's coattails. Ridiculous.

BUT, I think both movies helped each other. It grew into a thing bigger than either movie. I'm betting neither one would've had a better weekend had it opened all alone.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man the south really loves Barbie.

Kind of ironic considering how woke it apparently is.
jeffk
AG
TCTTS said:

There's some strong feelings about Trinity back in the Land of Enchantment.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
KidDoc
AG
Hated it. I should have known since it was a Nolan flick but I like the subject matter and lead actors so went anyway. Way too pretentious and adhd between the choppy ADHD dialogue, time jumps, etc. I would.love to see this edited into a linear non Nolan movie because the performances were great.

Also what was the budget to make.everyone looks constantly sweaty? That was distracting.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jack Thauer
AG
Barbie sounds like it's more your speed.
Petrino1
aggrad02 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

BassCowboy33 said:

veryfuller said:

I've watched it twice now, once yesterday and once today, and found it boring and emotionally impaired.

Yesterday I watched it but was buzzed from breakfast bloody marys. I like Nolan and was looking forward to the movie so I was extremely disappointed.

I decided to watch it again today completely sober and in 70mm, still didn't help.

The movie is cinematically beautifully shot and produced, the acting was top notch, the writing just wasn't there. Never did I become emotionally invested in Oppenheimer, or emotionally biased against Strauss. It seemed as though all of the characters were paper thin.

This is exactly how I felt about the movie. I never became emotionally invested in Oppenheimer.
Raiderjay
Quote:

I would.love to see this edited into a linear non Nolan movie because the performances were great.
so you want to see it, but not good......
Velvet Jones
AG
My wife and I loved it.

The three hour runtime doesn't feel like it and the movie definitely hit hard with us.

The actual test scene was quite emotional because I could empathize with the exultation of the scientists with doing something that had never been done before (and might have been bad news for them) while at the same time realizing what they had done and what would happen with their work. Tough stuff for those of us who grew up with bomb drills. RDJ, Cillian Murphy, Matt Damon and Emily Blunt absolutely crush it.

For a movie that's all dialogue and little action, it's a magnificent achievement. It'll take me some time to process because I'm not very bright, but I look forward to watching it again.

For those worried about the runtime: the second time you see boobs is a great time to run to the restroom. You won't miss anything.

3.5 thumbs up out of 4.

KidDoc
AG
Jack Thauer said:

Barbie sounds like it's more your speed.

Yes I may not be sophisticated enough for Nolan's odd way of thinking. I did really enjoy Dunkirk though.

I can almost guarantee I will enjoy Barbie more than this mess though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
G.I.Bro
Has anyone mentioned that Josh Hartnett has aged like a fine wine? Hatchie matchie

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.