***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,100 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
Gigem314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
heddleston said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Mando consistently shooting people in the foot is my favorite bounty hunter dick move.

I lost count of how many times he did it this episode, it's like his whole fighting style is to get to that shot and then finish you off.

Gigem314
AG
Giancarlo Esposito was grossly underutilized in this series, and what little dialogue they gave him seemed lazy and not well thought out. An actor of his quality is worthy of a more prominent role. He would have been 1000x better than Phasma or Hux in the recent trilogy and made the First Order a lot more interesting than it was.

But we knew the focus was going to be Din+Grogu in the end. Though it felt like this season was 40% Mandalorian and 60% 'The Book of Bo-Katan'.

My 90's self can't help but draw a comparison with the way this series has evolved - Full House: Michelle, Mandalorian: Grogu.

The show may have started with a different direction, but very quickly the smallest and cutest character became a phenomenon and the show began to revolve more around that for better or worse. Star Wars execs know Grogu sells a lot of merchandise, gets a lot of viewers, and has created new wave of a Star Wars fans. He's not going anywhere, no matter how awkward the storyline gets at times.
powerbelly
AG
Gigem314 said:

Giancarlo Esposito was grossly underutilized in this series, and what little dialogue they gave him seemed lazy and not well thought out. An actor of his quality is worthy of a more prominent role. He would have been 1000x better than Phasma or Hux in the recent trilogy and made the First Order a lot more interesting than it was.

I felt he was good. He would have been even more wasted as Phasma.

If anything I didn't like how they made him a hands on fighter. I would have much rather him been the big bad behind the scenes.
Red Five
AG
redline248 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Is the Jedi Temple still there? Can they access any records on how to build one? Luke did it as a young Jedi, so i'm assuming it can't be too hard.
In the old EU, in Shadows of the Empire, Luke found schematics and plans in Obi-Wan's hut.

I think the jedi temple was destroyed and I would guess the emperor put harsh restrictions on what could be accessed from it. Alias or Porkchop can probably fill in the blank, there.

It's not completely impossible the knowledge can be found out in the galaxy, but I would hope it would be Grogu finding out rather than the armorer or someone.
In Clone Wars, Jedi younglings are instructed in lightsaber construction by the ancient droid Huyang. He will appear in Ahsoka so unless that is a flashback or is destroyed at some point during the show he is still around to teach Grogu eventually if needed.

MASAXET
AG
TCTTS said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Lol... laser swords powered by magic gems is believable... but I'm drawing the line at helmets that seal, but they won't show me a schematic to prove how they seal.

I never said light sabers were "believable." I said that because they've taken the time to give them history and lore, I have a better appreciation for their existence. In other words, they feel INTENTIONAL and not like something conveniently invented because the plot needed it.

Conversely, Mandalorian-uniforms-as-space-suits not only felt like something out of left field, the "sealed off" aspect people keep mentioning contradicted itself even within the same episode (i.e. Gideon pulling Bo's helmet off with ease).

Again, subtlety has never been your strong suit, though, so I get how all of this might go over your head. That, and you whine endlessly about people being mean on this board, while constantly/hypocritically taking aim at me, so I at least understand your compulsion to keep doing so.
I'm just now catching up on this thread because I finally watched the finale last night. So I'm resurrecting a dead discussion, sorry. But, the sealable helmets were already introduced in this show and you didn't need background from other sources. In the first episode that Din goes to Mandalore, remember he sealed his helmet when he first got out of his ship because he didn't have R5's atmosphere readings yet. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean the sealing works equally well in space, but at least the not-always-sealed-but-sealable-on-command aspect of the Mandalorean helmets was previously introduced.
MASAXET
AG
And also to circle back on somewhat dead discussions, I weirdly equally agree with both TCTTS and Porkchop.

On one hand, all of TCTTS' criticisms are definitely valid and I agree. There is some very lazy storytelling and the writing arc is . . . weird at best, non-existent to be charitable, and downright terrible at worst (and in reality). There is so much potential but so many easily correctable mistakes that it is very frustrating.

But on the other hand, Porkchop is right that anything in this universe just transports me. I can set aside the problems to a certain extent and just enjoy being in a galaxy far far away, largely because just the setting allows my imagination to spark and run wild. So maybe the show is objectively trash, but subjectively this guy is still totally here for it (except for BOBF - that was just largely trash to me outside of the Mando episodes).

All that to say, I enjoy the back and forth between you two (and others) because I agree with you all to a large extent.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Someone needs to edit this gif to TC ignoring everything else to focus on the helmets

PatAg
AG
powerbelly said:

Gigem314 said:

I felt he was good. He would have been even more wasted as Phasma.

If anything I didn't like how they made him a hands on fighter. I would have much rather him been the big bad behind the scenes.
I think they were criticizing the writing/direction of the character, and not the actor's performance.
cbr
AG
It was enjoyable, but forgettable. Mindless. No real plot or anything. Just cool visual and audio stimulation and random things happening.

Lost opportunity for sure

At least that's better by far than the recent movies.
DTP02
AG
Maybe it's the benefit of lowered expectations but I was entertained by the finale and found it enjoyable. I don't expect Andor-type sophistication, so to me this show is better off when it's heavier on action which limits its weaknesses (plotting and dialogue). And a tighter pace limits the ability to bring in silly stuff like Jack Black or cartoony creatures.

As far as lack advancement of the story arc, I still see this series as more episodic in nature so it doesn't bother me too much.

There were some really cool visuals and good action scenes, and our two main characters were left in a solid place.

I do have to laugh at a couple of things though:

- The sophomoric twist on villain exposition where he explains what his grand plan was AFTER our hero had already thwarted it. That's quite a fall from Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul to Scooby Doo writing

- Mando panically trying to get the droid to open up the last shield while he's still engaged with the dude in the second to last compartment. "This trooper has about fought me to a draw here, hurry up and get those next two guards into the action!"
Aggie_Journalist
AG
What an odd season.

There was some great creature design, nerd-satisfying references (Thrawn! Palleon!), and fun spaceship battles, but man, they must have dumped all their money in special effects and fired the writing team to do it. There was just so much mind-numbing my bad storytelling that left me scratching my head. Example from the finale - IG-Grogu magically infiltrating the base to rescue Mando when, last we saw him, he was fleeing with the Mandalorians the other direction. Or Gideon tracking Mando and grogu and saying he was going to intercept them, then not doing that and letting them kill all his force clones instead. (What a waste of that foreboding hinting from prior seasons)

This wasn't as bad as book of boba fett, but it wasn't as good as the first two seasons. I hope Ahsoka gives us something great. Star Wars has sadly missed far more often than it has hit since my childhood
Thanks and gig'em
Gigem314
AG
Quote:

Star Wars has sadly missed far more often than its hit since my childhood
I still enjoy Star Wars, but it feels to me like they're trying to do too many things at the same time.

They want to appeal to 'new' audiences, but also go the 'Ewok' route and provide something cute that will keep kids interested and sell merchandise at the expense of the story, but also try and connect it to the past, but also have these new simplistic storylines that aren't very original, while focusing at times more on diversity than an entertaining storyline and characters that draw people in.
Madmarttigan
AG
The funny part is all of the cute Grogu moments for kids really aren't what destroys the story. It's one of the only things that takes your mind off how bad the rest of the story is.
AgGrad99
AG
I finished S3 this weekend. I liked it.

I felt like the story was similar to the previous two seasons. Mando trying to accomplish a particular goal, but having individual adventures along the way. I think this one felt a little different, because it was less about just him, and more about Mandalor/Bo-Katan. Like the first two, it was a little cheesy: some awesome moments mixed in with some dumb ones. But it's a good show if you just want to turn off the brain and be entertained.

Two comments:

-In the finale, Moff Gideon states his troopers amor were forged from beskar, just like the Mandalorians. The Mandalorians also mentioned this when they were first attacked. But then shots were bouncing off the Mandolorian beskar armor, while Moff's troopers were falling left and right as they got shot. This was hard for me to ignore.

-Casting is odd throughout the series (and throughout most the various Disney SW series). They'll mix in good/noted actors with some who are terrible. For example, every time Peli Motto is on the screen (scrapyard lady), I cringe. Her acting is straight out of a bad High School play. I try to ignore it, but she's terrible.

maroon barchetta
This is an interesting post from my favorite Aggieland radio dj.

https://995thefox.iheart.com/featured/k-c-wheeler/content/2023-04-20-i-saw-a-mandalorian-in-college-station/

The Porkchop Express
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I finished S3 this weekend. I liked it.

I felt like the story was similar to the previous two seasons. Mando trying to accomplish a particular goal, but having individual adventures along the way. I think this one felt a little different, because it was less about just him, and more about Mandalor/Bo-Katan. Like the first two, it was a little cheesy: some awesome moments mixed in with some dumb ones. But it's a good show if you just want to turn off the brain and be entertained.

Two comments:

-In the finale, Moff Gideon states his troopers amor were forged from beskar, just like the Mandalorians. The Mandalorians also mentioned this when they were first attacked. But then shots were bouncing off the Mandolorian beskar armor, while Moff's troopers were falling left and right as they got shot. This was hard for me to ignore.

-Casting is odd throughout the series (and throughout most the various Disney SW series). They'll mix in good/noted actors with some who are terrible. For example, every time Peli Motto is on the screen (scrapyard lady), I cringe. Her acting is straight out of a bad High School play. I try to ignore it, but she's terrible.

The trooper armor was beskar alloy, so not as good as the real stuff,

While Amy Sedaris can be grating, it seems like Favreau is casting a lot of his friends who are Star Wars fans. Take it as you like.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
AgGrad99
AG
She's terrible.

Did they explain that the beskar was not as good? I must have missed that.

I heard the Mandalorians say, 'they're wearing beskar' and Moff Gideon said, 'beskar forged from these very mines in Mandalor' or something like that.

I found it odd they brought attention to it, but it didnt seem to hold up any better than the old storm trooper uniforms.
powerbelly
AG
I need to rewatch but I thought a lot of the mandalorians shots were hitting between armor plates and while they were being hit square on their baskar plates.
AgGrad99
AG
I mean, maybe, but that's kind of dumb. Especially with shots being fired every which direction.

But if that were the case, and the material didnt make a difference, why point it out twice?

Not a big deal. Was just something I noticed that bugged me.
PatAg
AG
It would make sense for their armor to be lesser than, since they wouldnt have a mandalorian actually making it
The Porkchop Express
AG
AgGrad99 said:

She's terrible.

I heard the Mandalorians say, 'they're wearing beskar' and Moff Gideon said, 'beskar forged from these very mines in Mandalor' or something like that.

I found it odd they brought attention to it, but it didnt seem to hold up any better than the old storm trooper uniforms.
In The Spies episode, right after Gideon lands in his Mando armor, he says, "Thanks to your planet's resources, I have created the next generation Dark Trooper suit. Forged from Beskar alloy."

While not explicitly said, the general idea is that an alloy, while containing some properties of the original metal, wouldn't be as strong as the pure source.

It would have been cool if they had showed some old Mando chained up and forced to make armor for the Imperials / making Gideon's power suit.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AgGrad99 said:

She's terrible.

I don't think it was specifically mentioned, but Gideon said he incorporated it. It would make sense that the Mandalorians' armor was better, though, because they've been forging it and using it for thousands of years. They know all about it, while Gideon is just borrowing from it. It's made from beskar, but it's an imitation of the real thing
maroon barchetta
Favreau turned Moff Gideon into Obadiah Gideon.

You could hear the hydraulics in his suit working and see the strength when he went to crush the dark saber.

And I also thought the Mandos were shooting between armor plates

We know stormtroopers, even dark ones, can't hit *****
Red Five
AG

AgGrad99 said:

She's terrible.

In The Spies episode, right after Gideon lands in his Mando armor, he says, "Thanks to your planet's resources, I have created the next generation Dark Trooper suit. Forged from Beskar alloy."

While not explicitly said, the general idea is that an alloy, while containing some properties of the original metal, wouldn't be as strong as the pure source.

It would have been cool if they had showed some old Mando chained up and forced to make armor for the Imperials / making Gideon's power suit.

Alloys can be stronger (i.e. steel or bronze) than their original source metal if that is the desired purpose of the alloy.

The main point I think is that Gideon only said the Dark Trooper suit was made of beskar alloy. The Stormtroopers were not wearing the Dark Trooper armor, only Gideon was. Was there any indication that the troopers they were fighting we wearing armor made from beskar? Maybe I am only focusing on Gideon's statement and it was said elsewhere before that.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Red Five said:

AgGrad99 said:

She's terrible.

Alloys can be stronger (i.e. steel or bronze) than their original source metal if that is the desired purpose of the alloy.

The main point I think is that Gideon only said the Dark Trooper suit was made of beskar alloy. The Stormtroopers were not wearing the Dark Trooper armor, only Gideon was. Was there any indication that the troopers they were fighting we wearing armor made from beskar? Maybe I am only focusing on Gideon's statement and it was said elsewhere before that.
One of the random Mandalorians yells "they're wearing Beskar armor." in the opening seconds of the fight.
The main draw of Beskar is that it's both durable and flexible. It's hard to imagine it being improved on by some other alloy.
bluefire579
AG
OT crossover meme

Gigem314
AG
maroon barchetta said:

https://995thefox.iheart.com/featured/k-c-wheeler/content/2023-04-20-i-saw-a-mandalorian-in-college-station/

Did you remove your helmet?

No.

And did you remember to bring a poop bag?

No.

Then you are a Mandalorian no more. This is the way.
Flashdiaz
AG
Gigem314 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Did you remove your helmet?

No.

And did you remember to bring a poop bag?

No.

Then you are a Mandalorian no more. This is the way.
You must bath in the living waters of the fish pond.
MASAXET
AG
Video that attempts to answer some plot holes.

tk for tu juan
zooguy96
AG
redline248
AG
the intern quest was perfect
The Porkchop Express
AG
One of his best!
jokershady
AG
holy crap that might be his best work to date and that's saying something....couldn't stop laughing during the entire side quest
tk for tu juan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.