***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

130,841 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Hmmm, I took it a little differently. The gal was never going to get him to do her bidding in his current state. So she manipulates him into first getting everything he needs to do what she (Moff) wants, then intentionally gets him caught and memory wiped, that way she can have him pick up where he left off with the empire once Gideon returns. And now, he has all the stuff he needs to start working (since they stole it from the ship).
It would make more sense to wipe his memory of recent events. Assuming Gideon is out there on the loose, there's no reason to think he wouldn't want to get back to his original mission, which seems to just be directly tied into getting Sheev a clone body with Grogue-powered midichlorians based on the multi-strand DNA theory he was explaining at his talk.

I am finding that whole speech weirder and weirder. Is it just for really impressive former Imperials? If they knew how intelligent he was, why give him a desk job? Do they let all the former Imps give that speech? Occasionally is there one with a guy who was TIE pilot who comes up and says, "Hi, I'm Fred, I was a TIE bomber pilot. Here is a list of worlds where I killed hundreds of people. Now I'm a janitor. Good to meet everyone!"
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
ABATTBQ11
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

A lot of logic flubs for me, with the most glaring being the New Republic assigning the old Imperials a letter and number combination to be called by, the exact thing that drove stormtroopers like Finn away from the First Order. It's hard to imagine the New Republic doing that kind of de-humanizing.

The underuse of Dr. Pershing - he's a total genius and an eloquent speaker, let's have him work as an administrative assistant?

I think a lot of this can be chalked up to elements of the Empire remaining within the governing structures of the New Republic. A lot of the bureaucracy is going to remain because you can't just fire everyone overnight and continue to administer normal government functions. Look at administrative changes in our own government. The executive cab change every 4 years, but that doesn't mean that mid and high level career bureaucrats stop pursuing their own pet projects or informal policies and agendas. Some may even actively work against administrations they don't like.

I think that explains how Elia Kane made it into the amnesty program as an officer and operative. There is probably a covert, concerted effort to sabotage the New Republic by many in the existing bureaucracy, and that includes underutilizing Pershing. If his research was continued or he was given a more meaningful job, it would have been much more difficult to turn him.
CondensedFogAggie
The Porkchop Express said:

I am finding that whole speech weirder and weirder. Is it just for really impressive former Imperials? If they knew how intelligent he was, why give him a desk job?

He was a sadistic research who caused a ton of suffering. Obviously he can't continue in his field, and there is no guarantee he won't revert back to his old self.

So, it seems about right giving him a simple desk job which is a source of income and see how he adjusts.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I dont recall him doing anything sadistic, can you elaborate?
LB12Diamond
AG
Pretty good episode. But they would have not left her alone with him like that. The republic should know better at that time.
The Porkchop Express
AG
After a few more hours of not sleeping, I feel like there was a real (tongue in cheek) missed opportunity to have Moff Gideon being the one giving the speech and then showing him going back to being like the Matire 'D of a theme restaurant or selling POS souveneirs to tourists at Mount Umate.
Kate Beckett
AG
I wonder if Moff got the same conditioning treatment that the others got.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Kate Beckett said:

I wonder if Moff got the same conditioning treatment that the others got.
The former Imps discussed him escaping while being trasnferred to the War Tribunal. if it's true they can use that to kill Cara Dune off screen as well.
Kate Beckett
AG
You're right, I missed that. What I get for watching at 2:15 half asleep.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TCTTS said:

If that's the case, great. Then at least there will have been a point to it all. But it very much looked like she was killing him. At best, it was vague as hell, which is the one thing this show wildly succeeds at being.

I think he's going to play a larger part, and this was part of setting that up. Either Gideon comes back and "rescues" him from the New Republic he will now hate, or his mind is wiped and Kane manipulates him into continuing his research.

I think a big clue is the discussion about Gideon and the rumor that he "escaped." He'll be back at some point, and I'm sure Pershing is part of his plan.
DB Coach
AG
All this talk and not one mention of the Doc saying "It's a trap!" to the Mon Calamari?
The Porkchop Express
AG
DB Coach said:

All this talk and not one mention of the Doc saying "It's a trap!" to the Mon Calamari?
Quote:

My 11 year old summed that episode up nicely at 254 am : " I never want to watch that episode again."

Great Mando stuff, great mon cal dead pan on the "its a trap" homage but Jesus I don't need the 30 minute walking tour of coruscant just to have Gideon's spy off Dr Pershing so his knowledge dies with him, or that's what I'm assuming was going on.

What a terribly frustrating episode.
2:59 a.m. son!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Last night's episode brings me back full circle to the same question I've been asking since I first saw Admiral Ackbar in 1983. how in the hell does a Mon Cal put on a shirt?

DB Coach
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Need this in a frame on my wall of cool stuff ASAP

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
58 minutes? Hell yes, let's do this.

Who would've thought Mando would have a longer episode than TLOU finale?
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh ****, the opera house on Coruscant. I see you, Filoni. I have indeed heard the tragedy.
Saxsoon
AG
Give me all the stuff like this.

But then I liked the trade disputes as an 11 year old in Phantom Menace. This is the stuff I love about Star Wars
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So uh, did not expect to spend this much time with the cloner. We're not gonna stay with him the whole time, are we?

Also, are those lightsaber popsicles?
TCTTS
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

TCTTS said:

If that's the case, great. Then at least there will have been a point to it all. But it very much looked like she was killing him. At best, it was vague as hell, which is the one thing this show wildly succeeds at being.

I think he's going to play a larger part, and this was part of setting that up. Either Gideon comes back and "rescues" him from the New Republic he will now hate, or his mind is wiped and Kane manipulates him into continuing his research.

I think a big clue is the discussion about Gideon and the rumor that he "escaped." He'll be back at some point, and I'm sure Pershing is part of his plan.

I think you're probably right. And yeah, it's obvious Gideon is coming back, I just initially assumed he had another scientist ready to go, but needed Pershing to help procure the proper lab materials for whatever reason, before disposing of him. But your scenario makes a lot more sense, and I hope that's the case.

For the record, I'm actually really interested in this plot line, the Gideon of it all, and I'm curious to see if the cloning leads to Snoke, etc. I just wish it was handled better, that's all.
Saxsoon
AG
I do agree that Filoni and Favreau seem allergic to splitting focus in an episode which is strange since Filoni did that all the time in Clone Wars. I know they have directors and stuff but those two own this more so than anyone else.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
March of the Resistance muzak, lol
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Oh ****, the opera house on Coruscant. I see you, Filoni. I have indeed heard the tragedy.

I hear that droning track from ROTS, too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok so I'm halfway through. I take it we stay on this guy the whole episode and that's the reason for the low IMDb score.

I guess we got two "extra" Mando episodes in Book of Boba Fett, so karma says we have to have two random episodes based on other characters in Mando S3.

Have to say, I'm enjoying the lore at least. That scene with the mountain peak was pretty interesting.
Saxsoon
AG
was not expecting bo katan to be accepted into the culvert
TCTTS
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

Actually thought the doc parts were really interesting.

Like in Andor, we get to see the reigning government's policies and laws affecting its citizens everyday life. Just a different perspective and makes things relatable somehow. Even if not perfect, can sort of see the stark contrast in New Republic and Empire laws.

Also, those TIE Interceptors are slick.

Agree with this take. Truth be told, I'm a little surprised you didn't enjoy all the Coruscant lore more, TPE. I really enjoy day in the life types of stories in Star Wars once in a while just cause I like this universe so much.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

The one time my kid gets to watch it at 2 AM (cuz it's Spring Break) and she was falling asleep halfway through. Boo, says I.

To be fair, it's pretty weird you would wake up your kid at 2 AM for a tv show, and a mid season episode at that.
Saxsoon
AG

Lathspell
AG
Didn't need the Dr's entire story line, so will ignore it.

Everything from Bo's reaction to Din saying "This is The Way" in regards to her father, to her reaction of Din reciting the Creed as he walked into the living waters, to seeing the Mythosaur, to then starting this episode with her still in her helmet made me think she is doubting her entire previous view of The Way. I was definitely taking notice throughout that she never removed her helmet after being "redeemed" and thought that would come into play.

Absolutely loved the ending with the immediate acceptance of Bo Katan by the Armorer and the rest of the Covert.

I still hold that the Armorer may just be my favorite freaking character in this series. I want more of her. I will be royally pissed off if they screw her character up later with some form of out of character crap.
Vince Blake
The whole genetics cloning talk by Pershing makes me wonder if we are going to get a backdoor origin story into Snoke. I'd be down for that.
Saxsoon
AG
I do think the parallels of the Ties attacking and the Pershing storyline are important and show a powerful guiding force for the empire.
LB12Diamond
AG
Great points.

I liked her line to Bo, you are welcomed and can leave whenever you like.
Madmarttigan
AG
This episode wasn't that bad, a little long winded on the doctor part but I would think it is going to be explained eventually unless I missed it. We don't know why she wanted his mind wiped right?

This show is absolutely knocking space/dogfights out of the park though. They have been really fun to watch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.