***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

130,910 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
LB12Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm glad there was no Mandolorian spy. That just really would not fit their entire code.
redline248
AG
LB12Diamond said:

I'm glad there was no Mandolorian spy. That just really would not fit their entire code.
It would have shattered some of the steadfast belief in their code, for some. Maybe for Din. It could have created opportunities to explore new ideas.

Ultimately, it doesn't bother me too much, though.
jeffk
AG
I think it's important to reiterate that there were, in fact, spies in the Spies episode, but they just weren't who some wanted them to be.
GhostWipe15
AG
So what exactly about this episode was supposed "to make me wish I hadnt asked for more?"
redline248
AG
I would characterize it more as "expectation" than "want."
jabberwalkie09
AG
redline248 said:

LB12Diamond said:

It would have shattered some of the steadfast belief in their code, for some. Maybe for Din. It could have created opportunities to explore new ideas.

Ultimately, it doesn't bother me too much, though.
The destruction of the Darksaber is probably the beginning of the shift away from the old ways. They implied that The Armorer was previously Death Watch and Djarin said it means nothing to him or his people (basically covert) opening the door for people to leave some of the old ways in the past IMO.

Overall, I don't think they could have added that to the story and completed everything in about 30 minutes. Everything happened so fast in this episode. This is probably something they could setup in a future story/spinoff but I think they tied up everything they needed to. Looking back on it in this morning, I really wish they had just aired this as a 7 episode season with this and the previous episode airing together.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Told you guys the Armorer was a red herring.

Pretty good episode. Short and sweet.

I will admit I was surprised at the stuff we DIDN'T see, like the Mythosaur, no Mandalorian spies, no Boba Fett or anyone else coming in to help.

But in the end I guess it wasn't super necessary. I didn't love how Gideon went out, felt a little too easy, but everything up to that point was pretty great.

Will be interesting to see where they go from here. They could wrap things up here if they chose. I don't think we have another season confirmed yet, right?

Overall I think it's the weakest season, but certainly not bad. I give it an 8/10.
bilbobag
I thought I read somewhere season 4 has been written and filming would start Oct 2023?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, not one shot of Pedro Pascal this season. Did not love that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

- Also, how do they do not tease another threat of any kind? No post credit scene or anything?

They did, in the previous episode. Thrawn is our new big bad across all Mandoverse shows.
Hungry Ojos
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't understand this gripe. Why does everyone want to see some dude's face?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's harder to relate to and empathize with him when you NEVER see his face. At least for me. It humanizes him.
redline248
AG
I just question the logic behind it all. You make a big deal about needing to remove his helmet in season 1 for the droid to save him. You make an even bigger deal about it at the end of season 2 in his goodbye to Grogu. Why not create a tiny bit more conflict between the Way, his actions, and his friendship with Bo Katan?

Just toss it aside after going in the waters.
LB12Diamond
AG
So what's up with the dark saber being able to be crushed like that? That was the one thing I didn't like. If he was really that strong he would have taken her out pretty fast.
redline248
AG
Sounded like a mechanized suit
The Porkchop Express
AG
LB12Diamond said:

So what's up with the dark saber being able to be crushed like that? That was the one thing I didn't like. If he was really that strong he would have taken her out pretty fast.
That suit was definitely enhanced to make him way stronger and way more capable of taking a hit. And Gideon has proven he's not one to kill you quick, he's the classic Monologue villain from the Incredibles
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
TCTTS
AG
redline248 said:

I agree with a lot of what TCTTS said in his initial post for this episode even though I actually enjoyed it a lot. Especially where Din has to now go on solo adventures so Grogu can earn his beskar, or whatever. Like, seriously, mf-er, did you not see him save the day like 3 times?

I have to say, a lot of shows/movies do this, but I kind of hate when a bad guy is too strong to be defeated straight up and you need to crash a ship into the planet to kill him in an explosion of fire. A villain like Thanos, sure...make him really hard to beat. A 2nd tier Imperial wannabe? Just f-cking kill him.

A few things I was surprised didn't happen, but ultimately aren't a huge deal to me. No spies, no mythosaur...bummer, but oh well.

Again, I enjoyed it all for the most part. Probably give it a solid B or B- for my taste. If it were me, I'd have cut the trip to Tatooine and the Jack Black planet, and paid off the Mythosaur somehow.

The more I think on it, yeah, the more I - "liked" is strong word, let's go with "mildly enjoyed" - the episode itself, at least in a vacuum. On a macro level, given the mind numbing mandate of the show, it *was* a nice little culmination of events, at least allowing for a clean restart of sorts going forward. Also, as someone who continually wants these characters to move past some of their dumber traditions, I do at least appreciate them finally getting rid of the Dark Saber and advancing past such a silly rule in favor of unity.

I guess it just feels weird to me, that two weeks after Celebration, where all kinds of multi-show synergy was promoted, and a culminating movie was announced, they decided to set everything back to zero for the second time in this show's run. Again, I get it, it's just so cynical, and such cowardly corporate bullsh*t.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

redline248 said:

I agree with a lot of what TCTTS said in his initial post for this episode even though I actually enjoyed it a lot. Especially where Din has to now go on solo adventures so Grogu can earn his beskar, or whatever. Like, seriously, mf-er, did you not see him save the day like 3 times?

I have to say, a lot of shows/movies do this, but I kind of hate when a bad guy is too strong to be defeated straight up and you need to crash a ship into the planet to kill him in an explosion of fire. A villain like Thanos, sure...make him really hard to beat. A 2nd tier Imperial wannabe? Just f-cking kill him.

A few things I was surprised didn't happen, but ultimately aren't a huge deal to me. No spies, no mythosaur...bummer, but oh well.

Again, I enjoyed it all for the most part. Probably give it a solid B or B- for my taste. If it were me, I'd have cut the trip to Tatooine and the Jack Black planet, and paid off the Mythosaur somehow.

The more I think on it, yeah, the more I - "liked" is strong word, let's go with "mildly enjoyed" - the episode itself, at least in a vacuum. On a macro level, given the mind numbing mandate of the show, it *was* a nice little culmination of events, at least allowing for a clean restart of sorts going forward. Also, as someone who continually wants these characters to move past some of their dumber traditions, I do at least appreciate them finally getting rid of the Dark Saber and advancing past such a silly rule in favor of unity.

I guess it just feels weird to me, that two weeks after Celebration, where all kinds of multi-show synergy was promoted, and a culminating movie was announced, they decided to set everything back to zero for the second time in this show's run. Again, I get it, it's just so cynical, and such cowardly corporate bullsh*t.
Between celebration and the lack of unity from this morning/today for the show, I got the impression that there was something else supposed to release with this. However, I wonder if they delayed it (a post credit scene or trailer) until after tomorrow because Picard's finale comes out within the next 24 hours. Feels like some marketing gamesmanship going on IMO.

I appreciate that they've cleared and tied up stuff from previous seasons and given us a pretty clear resolution on Djarin's story with Grogu until now. They laid some groundwork for Grogu learning the ropes with Djarin doing bounty hunting in the finale but I think that's a slow burn and we won't see much of that on screen IMO. I feel like at this point where we go is largely left up to where Ahsoka's first season ends and takes us.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I think Din and Grogu being mercenaries for the New Republic is a set up for connection down the line, given that many of the characters in Asoka are connected to or serving in the New Republic, but there is clearly a line they won't cross in the outer rim, etc.

I'm actually glad they have stuck to their guns in Star Wars and not done a post-credits scene. Leave that gimmick to Marvel and just do your own thing.

This season was definitely a mess. I think the show will benefit greatly from just being adventures of the week for the most part and stop trying to do some big connected storytelling. Then use the characters in other shows or a film.

Also, at the end, I had this thought: What if The Mandalorian of the title isn't Din...but ends up being Grogu at the end? The show is his journey from charge --> foundling --> apprentice --> Mandalorian. He will be the first force wielding Mandalorian in centuries. Just a thought...
redline248
AG
Oh, I have to say that relegating Grogu to bounty hunter work massively underutilizes his ability.
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

I think Din and Grogu being mercenaries for the New Republic is a set up for connection down the line, given that many of the characters in Asoka are connected to or serving in the New Republic, but there is clearly a line they won't cross in the outer rim, etc.

I'm actually glad they have stuck to their guns in Star Wars and not done a post-credits scene. Leave that gimmick to Marvel and just do your own thing.

The season two finale featured a post credit scene that set up/announced The Book of Boba Fett. For that reason alone, many were expecting something similar here, if only to further tease Thrawn or whoever else.

This season was definitely a mess. I think the show will benefit greatly from just being adventures of the week for the most part and stop trying to do some big connected storytelling. Then use the characters in other shows or a film.

Also, at the end, I had this thought: What if The Mandalorian of the title isn't Din...but ends up being Grogu at the end? The show is his journey from charge --> foundling --> apprentice --> Mandalorian. He will be the first force wielding Mandalorian in centuries. Just a thought...

At the rate Grogu ages, I don't think I could the 100 seasons it would take to get there.
LB12Diamond
AG
Armor made him stronger? I don't get that. It's was just armor. It's not like he was a cyborg.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Season 1 had the post credits scene too....

Well, I appreciate the departure then haha

Well, we really have no idea how much time has passed or how his species ages, other than obviously slow in the first 50 years and they live LONG lives. So there is room to play there.
Saxsoon
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Armor made him stronger? I don't get that. It's was just armor. It's not like he was a cyborg.

He said it was armor based on the droids that Luke destroyed in season 2. There seemed to be mechanized noises every time he moved so I took it as an exo skeleton of sorts
LB12Diamond
AG
When he walked yes. Didn't notice it when he moved his arms as well as how it the armor on his arms looked. Anyway. No biggie
OnlyForNow
AG
100% mechanized armor.

How did you not hear that it sounded like machinery when he crushed Bo's hand holding the dark saber.

LB12Diamond
AG
I rewatched it and it made sounds a couple for his arm movements. Not all the time like the legs. And the scene where he crushed it and there was no sound. And nothing on the arm armor that looked mechanized.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't understand this gripe. Why does everyone want to see some dude's face?

Kinda facilitates and improves upon the whole acting thing.
Lathspell
AG
Overall, the season was a B- for me.

I enjoyed this episode more than most of the filler episodes, this season. I am especially happy it seems others read too much into the Armorer. If she had turned out to be a spy, it would have been the most ridiculous twist.

Getting to see Grogu finally really lean in to using the Force was awesome. This is Star Wars. I want the Force and I want Jedi, even in a Mandalorian show.

I'm not really wanted to see a return to episodic seasons with a Mission of the Week featuring Mando and Grogu. I think the most intriguing thing they have here is the rebuilding of Mandalore and where Grogu fits in this new world. Are we looking at the first Mandalorian Force user of a Jedi's caliber since the once that created the Darksaber? If so, that seems kind of important, especially in this new world we know we are getting without the a true dedication to the Jedi Order (despite how much I hate that crap from Rise of Skywalker).

At the end of the day, I've accepted this show for what it is. I just don't think we are going to get great writing or dialogue. I watch to get my little taste of something cool in each episode, and consider it a win if I didn't get bored.
The Porkchop Express
AG
LB12Diamond said:

I rewatched it and it made sounds a couple for his arm movements. Not all the time like the legs. And the scene where he crushed it and there was no sound. And nothing on the arm armor that looked mechanized.
Mando flies right into him with his jet pack and Gideon is able to stop his momentum at the beginning of the fight. That's a good give-away that he's got some extra juice in his suit.

I'm rewatching his fight with Mando and I'm hearing the mechanized noises literally anytime Gideon does anything that is physical. You don't hear it when he's fighting Bo with the electro-staff and the Saber, but probably because they want those sound effects loud.

Mando consistently shooting people in the foot is my favorite bounty hunter dick move.

Real treat seeing Katee Sackhoff in her element again. One of these days I need to rewatch BSG.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
heddleston
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Mando consistently shooting people in the foot is my favorite bounty hunter dick move.

I lost count of how many times he did it this episode, it's like his whole fighting style is to get to that shot and then finish you off.
jabberwalkie09
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Real treat seeing Katee Sackhoff in her element again. One of these days I need to rewatch BSG.
Watching Katee Sackhoff in "Scar," "The Passage," and "Maelstrom" from BSG 2004 are some of the better acted scenes in recent scifi history I can think of. She clearly has the range to play impactful scenes. At this point, I'm just wondering when we will have scenes with Edward James Olmos and Jamie Bamber in the show.
AMW2010
AG
Everyone talks about how old Grogu is, and how he ages… but what gets me is y'all are thinking in earth years like he is a human.

I constantly think of Interstellar when the my go to the water exo planet and every second on the planet, the black guy in the ship ages a year, so when they come back he's like an old man… so how things ages jumping from planet to planet, going across the galaxy and back… and just time in general in the Star Wars world is confusing as heck!
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

- Mandalorians can just fly with jet packs in space now? Without any kind of compression suit?
Mandalorians in space were established in EU and also in Rebels IIRC. Clone troopers in space were in TCW IIRC.
TCTTS
AG
It's still incredibly dumb. I realize this is a fantasy franchise at heart, but having people just fly around space without any kind of compression suit, and with easily removable helmets, is lazy at best.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.